Bankwest announces shocking move to digital-only banking

In a surprising move, Bankwest, a major Australian bank, has announced its decision to close more branches across the country.

This move comes just months after the bank's CEO hinted at this 'almost solely digital' future, leaving many customers—particularly those in rural areas and older Australians—concerned about the accessibility and convenience of their banking services.

Bankwest, which serves 1.1 million customers across Australia, has recently announced the closure of three more branches in Western Australia.

The bank cited a 'surge in digital transactions and the rapid decline of demand for cash services' as the primary reasons for this decision.

This move follows the bank's controversial decision in 2022 to close all of its remaining 14 branches on the East Coast, leaving its only physical presence in Western Australia.

SDC 2.png
Bankwest announced the closure of more branches in Western Australia. Image source: Bankwest.

The bank's decision to close its Armadale branch in southeast Perth on 18 January was also met with dismay by many customers.

The bank has also announced the permanent closure of two more branches: Maddington in Perth's Southeast and Kununurra in far Northern Western Australia, 45km from the Northern Territory border.

These closures follow the bank's decision last year to close branches in Baldivis, South Perth, and Osborne Park, and Subiaco.

Bankwest's General Manager of Personal Banking, Scott Spittles, told a senate inquiry into bank closures in regional Australia that they 'expect to operate fewer branches in Bankwest in the future'.

'Bankwest's strategy is to grow as a digital and broker-first bank for home buyers,' he added.

Spittles also claimed that over-the-counter transactions have declined by around 44 per cent in the last three years, while digital payments now account for 97 per cent of all transactions.

The bank did not respond further to requests for comments on whether they were planning on closing more branches.

In a senate inquiry in September, CEO of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) Scott Comyn, the bank ultimately accountable for Bankwest, hinted at a further reduction of an already dwindling number of branches of its subsidiary bank.

'Strategically, Bankwest is moving to predominantly and probably over time almost solely digital only,' Mr Comyn said in the inquiry.

'For those who value and would like face-to-face services and in-branch services, those will be [more scarce] for Bankwest customers over time.'

He also revealed that the cost of providing cash to CBA customers totals $400 million a year—or $40 each for its 10 million customers.

In February 2022, Bankwest announced that they would no longer be accepting applications for new business accounts.

New and existing customers were then redirected and transitioned to CBA.

This news comes after a Bankwest customer was left ‘absolutely gobsmacked’ after their hundred-kilometre expedition just to withdraw cash ended in failure.

Graeme Reid, a resident of Latham, a rural town about 300km northeast of Perth, recently embarked on a 130km round trip along with his wife to the nearest Bankwest branch in Dalwallinu.

The purpose of their journey was simple: to withdraw $300 in cash.

However, upon arrival, Reid's wife was denied the withdrawal and was advised by the teller to visit the post office for the withdrawal instead.

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bankwest has announced the closure of additional branches in Western Australia following a shift towards a predominantly digital banking model.
  • The bank's decision reflects the surge in digital transactions, declining demand for over-the-counter services, and its goal of growing as a digital and broker-first bank.
  • Customers have expressed concern and frustration regarding branch closures, particularly considering the difficulties encountered in withdrawing cash from rural branches.
What are your thoughts on this shift towards digital banking? Have you been affected by the closure of a local bank branch? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I would be cancelling my account at Bendigo asap. I can't believe they charge a fee just for having a debit card. What a rip off.
The "next big bank" my backside! Better for everyone if it sinks to the bottom of the murky Port Phillip Bay. They charge the "big four bank's" customers $2.00 to use their ATMs. Is that a pisspoor attempt to gain more customers? Silly inffectual entity in the Australian financial sector.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Sad sign of of the times, surprised about closure of Maddington branch, I only use their ATM. But always que's when ever I walk pass the place. Lucky I've two bank account one in a bank in NSW (They closed the only WA Branch) and Bank of QLD which has a branch in Livingstone shopping centre. Otherwise like alot of people do most of my banking via internet. Do banks want branches anymore except maybe in city centres, world gone mad.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Sad sign of of the times, surprised about closure of Maddington branch, I only use their ATM. But always que's when ever I walk pass the place. Lucky I've two bank account one in a bank in NSW (They closed the only WA Branch) and Bank of QLD which has a branch in Livingstone shopping centre. Otherwise like alot of people do most of my banking via internet. Do banks want branches anymore except maybe in city centres, world gone mad.
Yes, in today's world it doesn't matter where your account is.

We opened our Beyond Bank accounts in Victor Harbour in SA. We moved back to WA seven years ago but our account is still at Victor Harbour.We ring the Mandurah branch if we have any queries and they are very obliging.
This is the best bank I have ever dealt with.
Buggar the big banks.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I dumped NAB some time ago. As Bendigo Bank no longer issues cheque books I will ending my lending to that bank as well. I believe Bendigo is owned by the CBA, which I dumped a long time ago.

I dumped NAB some time ago. As Bendigo Bank no longer issues cheque books I will ending my lending to that bank as well. I believe Bendigo is owned by the CBA, which I dumped a long time ago.
Incorrect. Bendigo Bank is a conglomerate with the Adelaide Bank as of 1996, originally starting off as a building society in the Victorian goldfields in 1858.

NAB is also closing all their branches slowly one by one .
Have you seen the list of banks that you can bank with at the post office.... they were closed last week all day for an 'UPGRADE' . I went in there to see what they had done... a super duper new machine to handle the banking.....

So firstly Comyns first name is Matt not Scott. Secondly…. Banks were not invented to “help people”… they were invented to do this thing called maturity transformation….. collect the taxes( to finance the wars)… and be a safe store of wealth for traders …. Who could hardly be expected to carry all the gold with them. Also ….. they are commercial business operating in that capitalist society they we have voted for every 3 years ( or more often) since federation. As a subsidiary of the CBA ( and where would BWA be if CBA hadn’t bought it) you wonder why it’s taken this long to close 16 branches on the EASTERN seaboard…. When there is a CBA in sane suburb….. or am atm in the local club. Other transactions now easily done at PO. If you don’t like the service…… move…. As people suggested there are any number of small banks or other ADIs where the profit motive is lessened and they look forward to providing your services at a high cost to them. So….. less complaining…. More doing. And also incidentally….. almost all of you have shares in the big banks in your super fund.

So firstly Comyns first name is Matt not Scott. Secondly…. Banks were not invented to “help people”… they were invented to do this thing called maturity transformation….. collect the taxes( to finance the wars)… and be a safe store of wealth for traders …. Who could hardly be expected to carry all the gold with them. Also ….. they are commercial business operating in that capitalist society they we have voted for every 3 years ( or more often) since federation. As a subsidiary of the CBA ( and where would BWA be if CBA hadn’t bought it) you wonder why it’s taken this long to close 16 branches on the EASTERN seaboard…. When there is a CBA in sane suburb….. or am atm in the local club. Other transactions now easily done at PO. If you don’t like the service…… move…. As people suggested there are any number of small banks or other ADIs where the profit motive is lessened and they look forward to providing your services at a high cost to them. So….. less complaining…. More doing. And also incidentally….. almost all of you have shares in the big banks in your super fund.
Yes, there is nothing like ending a traditional valued service so as to make a profit and put even bank tellers out of work. Who needs bank tellers? They can always get a job in a supermarket. Oh, hang on, they are going automated as well so.........but we will always need dust-bin men and toilet cleaners, essential jobs not yet robotised. Oh, dust-bins; that's semi-robotised with just one person driving a truck and with the coming in of artificial intelligence and self-drive vehicles.....ho hum.

Putting people out of work, for your "convenience".

Join Beyond Bank, it's a"member"bank.
If you don't like anything you can go along to the AGM and log your complaint
A bit like being a shareholder without having to buy any shares.
Seriously they are miles better than any other bank I have ever had. They don't have as many branches, but if I have any queries or problems, which is very rare, I can always sort them out by phone . Even arranged to set
up term deposits, after the sale of our rental property,by phone. I never need to go into a branch.

ANd they swear the banks aren't going cashless, another attack on our freedom by Klaus Schwab and his unelected dictators, our governments are being infiltrated by WEF policies, don't worry, a chip in your arm is next, if you let them, what worries me is the younger generation want it. They don't understand what it will do to their freedom.