Bankwest announces shocking move to digital-only banking

In a surprising move, Bankwest, a major Australian bank, has announced its decision to close more branches across the country.

This move comes just months after the bank's CEO hinted at this 'almost solely digital' future, leaving many customers—particularly those in rural areas and older Australians—concerned about the accessibility and convenience of their banking services.

Bankwest, which serves 1.1 million customers across Australia, has recently announced the closure of three more branches in Western Australia.

The bank cited a 'surge in digital transactions and the rapid decline of demand for cash services' as the primary reasons for this decision.

This move follows the bank's controversial decision in 2022 to close all of its remaining 14 branches on the East Coast, leaving its only physical presence in Western Australia.

SDC 2.png
Bankwest announced the closure of more branches in Western Australia. Image source: Bankwest.

The bank's decision to close its Armadale branch in southeast Perth on 18 January was also met with dismay by many customers.

The bank has also announced the permanent closure of two more branches: Maddington in Perth's Southeast and Kununurra in far Northern Western Australia, 45km from the Northern Territory border.

These closures follow the bank's decision last year to close branches in Baldivis, South Perth, and Osborne Park, and Subiaco.

Bankwest's General Manager of Personal Banking, Scott Spittles, told a senate inquiry into bank closures in regional Australia that they 'expect to operate fewer branches in Bankwest in the future'.

'Bankwest's strategy is to grow as a digital and broker-first bank for home buyers,' he added.

Spittles also claimed that over-the-counter transactions have declined by around 44 per cent in the last three years, while digital payments now account for 97 per cent of all transactions.

The bank did not respond further to requests for comments on whether they were planning on closing more branches.

In a senate inquiry in September, CEO of Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) Scott Comyn, the bank ultimately accountable for Bankwest, hinted at a further reduction of an already dwindling number of branches of its subsidiary bank.

'Strategically, Bankwest is moving to predominantly and probably over time almost solely digital only,' Mr Comyn said in the inquiry.

'For those who value and would like face-to-face services and in-branch services, those will be [more scarce] for Bankwest customers over time.'

He also revealed that the cost of providing cash to CBA customers totals $400 million a year—or $40 each for its 10 million customers.

In February 2022, Bankwest announced that they would no longer be accepting applications for new business accounts.

New and existing customers were then redirected and transitioned to CBA.

This news comes after a Bankwest customer was left ‘absolutely gobsmacked’ after their hundred-kilometre expedition just to withdraw cash ended in failure.

Graeme Reid, a resident of Latham, a rural town about 300km northeast of Perth, recently embarked on a 130km round trip along with his wife to the nearest Bankwest branch in Dalwallinu.

The purpose of their journey was simple: to withdraw $300 in cash.

However, upon arrival, Reid's wife was denied the withdrawal and was advised by the teller to visit the post office for the withdrawal instead.

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bankwest has announced the closure of additional branches in Western Australia following a shift towards a predominantly digital banking model.
  • The bank's decision reflects the surge in digital transactions, declining demand for over-the-counter services, and its goal of growing as a digital and broker-first bank.
  • Customers have expressed concern and frustration regarding branch closures, particularly considering the difficulties encountered in withdrawing cash from rural branches.
What are your thoughts on this shift towards digital banking? Have you been affected by the closure of a local bank branch? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Come on, all you people out there, get off your backsides and instead of complaining about your bank, withdraw your funds and move your business elsewhere.
Without our money these banks don't exist.
If you have a mortgage there are plenty of banks out there who will happily take it over, probably on a better rate . So long as you are not in arrears
The power is in your hands.
I switched to Beyond Bank eight years ago. They may not be one of the biggest banks but we have always received excellent service.

Come on, all you people out there, get off your backsides and instead of complaining about your bank, withdraw your funds and move your business elsewhere.
Without our money these banks don't exist.
If you have a mortgage there are plenty of banks out there who will happily take it over, probably on a better rate . So long as you are not in arrears
The power is in your hands.
I switched to Beyond Bank eight years ago. They may not be one of the biggest banks but we have always received excellent service.
I agree. You need to vote with your feet. We have the power! Look at what happened to Bud light in America. They are in trouble because people stopped buying their product. The case of Woolworths disrespecting Australia Day caused a stir and a lot of people said they were going elsewhere. I hope they keep their word because boycotting is THE only way to make them pay attention.
We have the power and all we need to do is use is. Don't be lazy and keep rewarding companies for their bad behaviour. Coles lost me because of their rainbow BS. Woolies is gone now too. IGA is now on my radar.
All businesses rely on you, the customer! Without you they have NOTHING! Just keep that in mind next time you are not treated well by any business.

Sad thing is a lot of us can't do that (for several different reasons).
Bankwest is a Subsidiary of the CWTH bank, and to be honest for Rural Areas we as Bankwest customers can access monies via the Post Office inside or at a CWTH atm anywhere. Also there are no additional fees if we use one of the BIG FOUR BANKS atm's.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Sad thing is a lot of us can't do that (for several different reasons).
Health, location, access, transport, technical savvy there are many reasons - remember not everyone can keep up with NEW Tech as it can be hard to learn or very frightening (and this is not just with the older people)

Health, location, access, transport, technical savvy there are many reasons - remember not everyone can keep up with NEW Tech as it can be hard to learn or very frightening (and this is not just with the older people)
I live in the country,we have a local bank but I don't use it
My bank is over 200kms away. I have it no problem, I can ring them any time,and they will sort out any problems over the phone. I never actually go there
I must admit I do online banking. I'm 77, I resisted this for a long time, bit once I learnt it I found that it wasn't
anywhere near as daunting as I thought, in fact it's quite simple
Do you not have a family member who can help you.
Obviously you can post on SDC so you're not completely tech useless,unlike my husband who wouldn't even know how to be turn a phone on.
Have a go at learning, it's not that hard, I assure you and so convenient.
Good luck😘

After 30 yrs they just closed my business account..so I just went shopping to the National so way was I gunna go CBA as they wanted.55 yrs ago I worked for them, funny world we live in nowdays.
NAB is also closing all their branches slowly one by one .

Reactions: IAN3005
What I don’t understand is if the customers want online banking WHY do we have queues going out the door ? When you can find a branch that’s still operating that is . Who makes the decisions that customers want on line banking ? I for one do not trust nor want on line banking .

NAB is also closing all their branches slowly one by one .
What happened to you is sad .. Apparently it's called de-banking , and one feels useless as are hamstrung with seemingly no support . Not good going forward.

Once upon a time it was the R & I - Rural and Industries Bank of WA, and people proudly supported it.
The rot set in when it mutated into BankWest, becoming totally Perth-centric and then it really began to pong when the Commonwealth Bank took it over in 2008.

Reactions: Phyll
Once upon a time it was the R & I - Rural and Industries Bank of WA, and people proudly supported it.
The rot set in when it mutated into BankWest, becoming totally Perth-centric and then it really began to pong when the Commonwealth Bank took it over in 2008.
Agree Totally ..Maybe my earlier post was a bit selfish as I was referring to the point that I can still get cash not via the banks that were in Rural WA but now I being of the CASHIE BRIGADE can get it out of the Post Office etc.

I have bank accounts with both the NBA and the Bank of Bendigo. The nearest branches of each bank, nearest my home in rural Victoria, remain open but have reduced hours to mornings only. My local post office has likewise reduced hours and in some instances has closed its doors during posted hours due to lack of staff. Illness or other reasons ie personal affairs, perhaps?

We have already seen how digital banking can be brought to a standstill by Internet failure or power losses. How can banks justify these closures and reduced hours when they can’t guarantee access to digital banking?
We have seen closures and removals of AGMs, the only replacements being independent banking societies which have high charges or withdrawal of funds through retailers which have set hours.
Bank of Bendigo charges $4 a month for the use of a debit card and this is set whether or not the card is used. I use Internet banking to pay bills but need the card for retailers. I also prefer to purchase fresh produce at farm gates and markets which don’t have access to card readers. Cash only is required. Banks seem to forget that they are are meant to provide services to their customers not just profits to their shareholders.
Options are limited to retirees like myself who are trying to save money as we are on a tight income but are constantly faced with hurdles like access to cash, monthly fees, reduced services and hours of availability.

Banks were invented to help People with their money. The present Bank Directors are not helping the majority of people only themselves and their perceived profits.

Reactions: missisrobbo
I have bank accounts with both the NBA and the Bank of Bendigo. The nearest branches of each bank, nearest my home in rural Victoria, remain open but have reduced hours to mornings only. My local post office has likewise reduced hours and in some instances has closed its doors during posted hours due to lack of staff. Illness or other reasons ie personal affairs, perhaps?

We have already seen how digital banking can be brought to a standstill by Internet failure or power losses. How can banks justify these closures and reduced hours when they can’t guarantee access to digital banking?
We have seen closures and removals of AGMs, the only replacements being independent banking societies which have high charges or withdrawal of funds through retailers which have set hours.
Bank of Bendigo charges $4 a month for the use of a debit card and this is set whether or not the card is used. I use Internet banking to pay bills but need the card for retailers. I also prefer to purchase fresh produce at farm gates and markets which don’t have access to card readers. Cash only is required. Banks seem to forget that they are are meant to provide services to their customers not just profits to their shareholders.
Options are limited to retirees like myself who are trying to save money as we are on a tight income but are constantly faced with hurdles like access to cash, monthly fees, reduced services and hours of availability.
I would be cancelling my account at Bendigo asap. I can't believe they charge a fee just for having a debit card. What a rip off.