Bagged out: ALDI shoppers share their frustrations about supermarket's 25-cent charge

In the age of environmental consciousness, many shoppers have embraced the shift away from single-use plastics with open arms.

After all, protecting beautiful Australian landscapes and oceans for future generations should be paramount.

However, the transition to sustainable alternatives has been challenging, especially for some ALDI shoppers.

The supermarket giant's 25-cent paper bags recently received dissatisfied remarks from their customers.

The issue came to light when Adelaide local Sophia Rose voiced her frustration on social media.

She shared a photo of her groceries scattered on the ground after her paper bag tore apart.

compressed-aldi (1).jpeg
ALDI paper bags introduced their eco-friendly paper bags earlier this year. Image Credit: ALDI Unpacked

Among the items was a jar of pickles that could pose hazards when accidentally stepped on.

'Honestly, the worst paper bags ever,' Sophia lamented.

Victoria local Angelique Summers shared a similar story after a jar of pasta sauce shattered in her driveway after the bag disintegrated.

'The ALDI bags are terrible,' one stated. 'I can't believe they charge for them!'

The frustration is palpable, and it's not limited to ALDI paper bags.

Customers also reported similar experiences with other supermarkets' paper bags, suggesting a widespread quality issue with the supposedly eco-friendly options.

Some shoppers said that it could be due to overloading the bags.

'Carry paper bags like a baby under the bum', one suggested.

Yet, even with caution, customers like Sophia have experienced bag breakages at the checkout counter, only to be told to grab another one.

Customer Experience Advisor Aileen Day weighed in on the issue.

'The reality is that supermarkets are looking to reduce expenses in every facet of business. If they choose to offer paper bags, they need to be responsible for their functionality and design,' Ms Day stated.

'If they make them cheap and unusable, they become an indirect expense as customers will push back and insist on a replacement bag for no additional cost.'

This isn't the first time the debate over paper bags has surfaced.

An ALDI shopper compared the supermarket's paper bags to that of Woolworths'.

Shoppers talked about the comparative quality and size of supermarket paper bags and highlighted value for money and durability.

For now, ALDI's paper bags remain a divisive topic.

Some shoppers are willing to adapt, while others find the bags a hassle to their shopping trip.

With the environmental benefits of paper over plastic, one might argue that any step towards sustainability is a step in the right direction.

However, if the bags fail to serve their primary purpose of safely transporting groceries, their value is significantly diminished.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers shared their frustration with the supermarket's 25-cent paper bags, finding them unreliable and prone to tearing.
  • Customers shared that the paper bags often break even during checkout, leading to damaged or spilt groceries.
  • Some customers defended the paper bags, suggesting that overloading could have caused the breakage.
  • An advisor stated that supermarkets must ensure the functionality and design of paper bags, as poorly made ones could lead to indirect expenses and customer dissatisfaction.
Have you had similar experiences with your supermarket paper bags? Do you have any tips for avoiding bag breakages? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I always carry 2 fold up bags in my handbag in case I need them. If I forget to get my other bags out of the boot, I just put my shopping in the trolley and take it to my car where I then put it into my bags Or straight into the boot. Those paper bags are only good for light things. Never trust them with anything heavy like jars or tins etc.

I desperately need to remember to put my 100000000 Paper bags in the Boot & ……. Remember to take them out …
Great article, Serves as a Good Reminder.
Thank You ~ although I’m torn, as Plastic was bad for the Environment, I can understand this, and by using paper, it concerns me that we’re tearing down more of our Australian Bushlands 😳

I desperately need to remember to put my 100000000 Paper bags in the Boot & ……. Remember to take them out …
Great article, Serves as a Good Reminder.
Thank You ~ although I’m torn, as Plastic was bad for the Environment, I can understand this, and by using paper, it concerns me that we’re tearing down more of our Australian Bushlands 😳
Do we know where the Paper bags come from
That’s the question ?????

Reactions: Dynamo
Never trusted them, in my handbag I have folded tightly together 6 nylon carry bags, cheap easy and reusable.
I am old enough to remember when they came in to the supermarkets and were no better back then either

Never trusted them, in my handbag I have folded tightly together 6 nylon carry bags, cheap easy and reusable.
I am old enough to remember when they came in to the supermarkets and were no better back then either
At least when they were first introduced they were large with no handles and you had to carry them underneath 🤣

I always carry 2 fold up bags in my handbag in case I need them. If I forget to get my other bags out of the boot, I just put my shopping in the trolley and take it to my car where I then put it into my bags Or straight into the boot. Those paper bags are only good for light things. Never trust them with anything heavy like jars or tins etc.
well said. why do we have to endure stupid peoples comments Less is better.

Reactions: Dynamo
close to 20 years ago I bought nylon bags from Cole’s…A pack of 5 different colours,,,and from Woollies..pack of 6 in varying shades of greeen.
A bit tattered now, but they are still going strong
They fit in the little pouch they came in