Bagged out: ALDI shoppers share their frustrations about supermarket's 25-cent charge

In the age of environmental consciousness, many shoppers have embraced the shift away from single-use plastics with open arms.

After all, protecting beautiful Australian landscapes and oceans for future generations should be paramount.

However, the transition to sustainable alternatives has been challenging, especially for some ALDI shoppers.

The supermarket giant's 25-cent paper bags recently received dissatisfied remarks from their customers.

The issue came to light when Adelaide local Sophia Rose voiced her frustration on social media.

She shared a photo of her groceries scattered on the ground after her paper bag tore apart.

compressed-aldi (1).jpeg
ALDI paper bags introduced their eco-friendly paper bags earlier this year. Image Credit: ALDI Unpacked

Among the items was a jar of pickles that could pose hazards when accidentally stepped on.

'Honestly, the worst paper bags ever,' Sophia lamented.

Victoria local Angelique Summers shared a similar story after a jar of pasta sauce shattered in her driveway after the bag disintegrated.

'The ALDI bags are terrible,' one stated. 'I can't believe they charge for them!'

The frustration is palpable, and it's not limited to ALDI paper bags.

Customers also reported similar experiences with other supermarkets' paper bags, suggesting a widespread quality issue with the supposedly eco-friendly options.

Some shoppers said that it could be due to overloading the bags.

'Carry paper bags like a baby under the bum', one suggested.

Yet, even with caution, customers like Sophia have experienced bag breakages at the checkout counter, only to be told to grab another one.

Customer Experience Advisor Aileen Day weighed in on the issue.

'The reality is that supermarkets are looking to reduce expenses in every facet of business. If they choose to offer paper bags, they need to be responsible for their functionality and design,' Ms Day stated.

'If they make them cheap and unusable, they become an indirect expense as customers will push back and insist on a replacement bag for no additional cost.'

This isn't the first time the debate over paper bags has surfaced.

An ALDI shopper compared the supermarket's paper bags to that of Woolworths'.

Shoppers talked about the comparative quality and size of supermarket paper bags and highlighted value for money and durability.

For now, ALDI's paper bags remain a divisive topic.

Some shoppers are willing to adapt, while others find the bags a hassle to their shopping trip.

With the environmental benefits of paper over plastic, one might argue that any step towards sustainability is a step in the right direction.

However, if the bags fail to serve their primary purpose of safely transporting groceries, their value is significantly diminished.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers shared their frustration with the supermarket's 25-cent paper bags, finding them unreliable and prone to tearing.
  • Customers shared that the paper bags often break even during checkout, leading to damaged or spilt groceries.
  • Some customers defended the paper bags, suggesting that overloading could have caused the breakage.
  • An advisor stated that supermarkets must ensure the functionality and design of paper bags, as poorly made ones could lead to indirect expenses and customer dissatisfaction.
Have you had similar experiences with your supermarket paper bags? Do you have any tips for avoiding bag breakages? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
I always carry 2 fold up bags in my handbag in case I need them. If I forget to get my other bags out of the boot, I just put my shopping in the trolley and take it to my car where I then put it into my bags Or straight into the boot. Those paper bags are only good for light things. Never trust them with anything heavy like jars or tins etc.
Yes I always use fold up recycle ags for my shopping I think the disorganised people rely on paper bags

the paper bags that were around pre plastic bags didn't have handles, there was no choice you had to carry them from underneath, so to avoid breakages don't carry them by the handles

Reactions: Littleboy8
still using the red & white coles bags here - they hold better and are easy to repair - just tape them up! then when they become too far gone they become packing fodder for storing items

why? I did to those grizzlers.
Ok I like to think to say things in a nicer way then doesn’t start fights one would hope
Australia, China and Vietnam they are made the same as woollies from recycled dried pulp that is 3 years old.(I just looked it up)😊
Thank you that’s sounds reliable so they are not using new trees

I don't use the paper bags I have been using the cloth bags. I started using my own bags long before the supermarkets phased out their plastic bags. I find that the good old cloth bags are far more convienient and much stronger. I always have a ready supply in my car. A couple in my husbands car. I fold them after use and leave at the front door ready to pick up next time I am ready to leave, whether I will be shopping or not. Some of my shopping bags are more than 15 years old and still going strong.

Do we know where the Paper bags come from
That’s the question ?????
Aldi paper bags are made in Australia and cost 25c, Cole and Woolies paper bags are made in China and cost 35c.
to answer your question literally, paper bags ultimately come from trees and the trees come from?? AUSTRALIA!
Why do only Aldi paper bags have a suffocation warning on them?

Last edited:
Such a first world problem! Use your commonsense. I aways carry a couple of fold-up shoppers in my bag. They take up no room at all and carry a fair amount of shopping. These paper bags are not made for heavy shopping - duh!

dont... simply bring your own sturdy one. I remember when I arrived in Australia not only did they have paper bags but we were not allowed to fill them ourselves or to use our own, and they broke regularly becoming soggy as well. Then they gave us plastic an improvement as we were still not allowed to brng our own.. and finally now I shove everything back in the trolley and put my shopping in the bags left safely in the car

Last edited:
Reactions: Sucoo
Paper bags should be free like they used to be. If we are going to go on about plastic what about all the packaging of meat. Plastic bottles and a mountain of other plastic packages. And now we are expected to pay for fragile paper……

Reactions: Sucoo
I carry a fold up material bag in my handbag so I don't have to pay more money for useless paper bags. It hardly takes any space.
Hope this is helpful.