Avoid this costly mistake! Mum loses $300 to domestic cleaner scam

Keeping your house tidy can be overwhelming. It’s no wonder many turn to professionals for help with house cleaning.

But, as one mum recently discovered, not all cleaners are professional–and the cost of neglecting one little red flag cost her hundreds of dollars.

Indy Clinton, from Sydney, was overwhelmed by the stress of two young children and a busy life when she decided to hire a professional cleaner to help get her home in order.

She sent out a few messages with the intention of hiring someone on a weekly basis, and a local cleaner quoted her $55/hour and promised to bring all her own equipment.

Based on Indy’s calculations, her home would take two hours to clean–and she was willing to pay $110 for the job.

photo (11).jpg
Indy Clinton was scammed by a domestic cleaner. Credit: @indyclinton/TikTok

Unfortunately, Indy overlooked a red flag that had been waving right in front of her.

'I received a text the night before the cleaner was supposed to come, and she said: “We will be there at 10 am.”’

Indy recounted in a video. 'We? She had just told me, “I’m $55 an hour, and I bring all of the products and the vacuum”. But when she said “we”... and I thought “We?” What does “we” mean?'

The cleaner sent Indy another message a few hours before arriving saying: 'By the way, I'm bringing three of my girls.'

Indy was shocked when four women showed up at her doorstep to clean the house–but with the situation already unfolding, she hoped she could still pay a total of $110.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. At the end of the two-and-a-half-hour job, the mum was hit with a bill for $440–that’s $55 per hour for each person cleaning.

'I pretty much passed out, I vomited in my throat. But I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. I looked at her, smiled, and told her I’d transfer the money and then see her next week. But I don’t want to see her next week! How can she say she’s $55 an hour, brings all her own stuff, and just slides in there with three other girls with her?' Indy said.

Sympathy poured from internet users when she posted the video on social media.

One commenter wrote: ‘No, that’s so unprofessional of her.’

‘She knew what she was doing 110 per cent,’ another user commented.

‘You need to say no,’ a third user pointed out.

One person even offered to help her break up with the cleaners, ‘I will draft the break-up text for you, and you just copy and paste, hit send.’

You can watch Indy’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Indy Clinton, from Sydney, hired a local cleaner for $55 per hour and calculated cleaning her home would take two hours and cost $110.
  • The cleaner arrived with three other women and then demanded $440, despite not informing Indy about the extra people or higher cost.
  • Indy missed a few warning signs, including a text message from the cleaner indicating that more than one person would be coming to clean the home.
  • The incident gained attention online, with many sympathising with Indy and criticising the cleaner's deceptive behaviour.

We hope you never have to go through the same experience as Indy. Please don’t proceed with the transaction if you notice any warning signs. And if you or someone you know has been the victim of a cleaning scam, report it to the police.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you experienced a similar scenario with a hired professional? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
They just ripped her off.

I would have refused to pay and would have reported the situation to Dept of Fairtrading.

I would feel very anxious having that many strangers in my house

My cousin runs a cleaning business in Sydney and she charges $150 for two hours using 2 people .

My mother has a cleaner once aweek and is charged $120 for one person , she does live in Taree.

I know I would choose the 2 people for $150 as you would get twice the ammount done.

You do need to make sure they are also cleaning properly. That's a problem my mother has had from time to time

Was she watching what they were doing. If she estimated it would take two hours, how come it took four people two and a half hours each, thats 10 hours.
Her house must have been filthy to require that much time from.profesdional cleaners
This story doesn't ring true. My step father ran a large orofessional cleaning company in Melbourne when I was a teenager.
He would never send four cleaners to a private home. No private home should take 10 hours to clean. What on earth did she have done.
Also 4 cleaners by two and a half hours at $55/hour each comes to $550 not $440..

Even the cleaning company I worked for, which charged per hour and sent 2 girls together to do the clean, only charged per job not per cleaner! This is robbery. A 4 person house clean should only take 1/2 an hour so cost would've been 23 x 4 anyway. What did they spend that 2 hours doing???? I so hope the house looked pristine for that 440.

Was she watching what they were doing. If she estimated it would take two hours, how come it took four people two and a half hours each, thats 10 hours.
Her house must have been filthy to require that much time from.profesdional cleaners
This story doesn't ring true. My step father ran a large orofessional cleaning company in Melbourne when I was a teenager.
He would never send four cleaners to a private home. No private home should take 10 hours to clean. What on earth did she have done.
Also 4 cleaners by two and a half hours at $55/hour each comes to $550 not $440..
When getting a quote for a job, be it a cleaner, plumber, electrician whoever if they quote by the hour ask how long they expect the job to take.
Don't go out leaving them to get on with it, keep an eye on what they are doing. Tradies, in particular, spend a lot of time on their phones while on the job. Don't be afraid to say that you are not paying them to talk on the phone.
When my husband and I had our Reno business, we had both a sub contractor plumber and electrician who billed our client separately. Both on different occasions over charged clients. I chatted them both, said we are working on the job at the same time as you, during that time you spent approximately say 2 hours on the phone talking to other clients, friends, whoever. Our client is not paying you for that time.
Unfortunately, these days, it is hard to get an exact quote from tradies.
We did whole extensions, put in kitchens, renovated bathrooms, etc and always gave a quote for the entire job. If we stuffed up on our costings and it took us longer we copped it, a quote is a quote. If we finished much earlier we charged less. We were never out of work, in fact booked up months ahead.
Would still like to know exactly what this cleaner did for it to take 10 hours.

Keeping your house tidy can be overwhelming. It’s no wonder many turn to professionals for help with house cleaning.

But, as one mum recently discovered, not all cleaners are professional–and the cost of neglecting one little red flag cost her hundreds of dollars.

Indy Clinton, from Sydney, was overwhelmed by the stress of two young children and a busy life when she decided to hire a professional cleaner to help get her home in order.

She sent out a few messages with the intention of hiring someone on a weekly basis, and a local cleaner quoted her $55/hour and promised to bring all her own equipment.

Based on Indy’s calculations, her home would take two hours to clean–and she was willing to pay $110 for the job.

View attachment 28269

Unfortunately, Indy overlooked a red flag that had been waving right in front of her.

'I received a text the night before the cleaner was supposed to come, and she said: “We will be there at 10 am.”’

Indy recounted in a video. 'We? She had just told me, “I’m $55 an hour, and I bring all of the products and the vacuum”. But when she said “we”... and I thought “We?” What does “we” mean?'

The cleaner sent Indy another message a few hours before arriving saying: 'By the way, I'm bringing three of my girls.'

Indy was shocked when four women showed up at her doorstep to clean the house–but with the situation already unfolding, she hoped she could still pay a total of $110.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. At the end of the two-and-a-half-hour job, the mum was hit with a bill for $440–that’s $55 per hour for each person cleaning.

'I pretty much passed out, I vomited in my throat. But I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. I looked at her, smiled, and told her I’d transfer the money and then see her next week. But I don’t want to see her next week! How can she say she’s $55 an hour, brings all her own stuff, and just slides in there with three other girls with her?' Indy said.

One person even offered to help her break up with the cleaners, ‘I will draft the break-up text for you, and you just copy and paste, hit send.’

Key Takeaways

• Indy Clinton, from Sydney, hired a local cleaner for $55 per hour and calculated cleaning her home would take two hours and cost $110.
  • The cleaner arrived with three other women and then demanded $440, despite not informing Indy about the extra people or higher cost.
  • Indy missed a few warning signs, including a text message from the cleaner indicating that more than one person would be coming to clean the home.
  • The incident gained attention online, with many sympathising with Indy and criticising the cleaner's deceptive behaviour.

We hope you never have to go through the same experience as Indy. Please don’t proceed with the transaction if you notice any warning signs. And if you or someone you know has been the victim of a cleaning scam, report it to the police.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you experienced a similar scenario with a hired professional? Share your experience in the comments below!

Would have liked to view video but it never appeared!!!!! Just a blank space!!!

View attachment 28269

Key Takeaways

Another simple solution!
Don’t be so damned lazy!
We had three boys under the age of 6
We both worked two jobs
We shared the household duties and always had a clean tidy house picking up all toys when the boys went to bed.
Young people are complaining about the cost of things today but are happy to pay for $8 daily coffee, house cleaners etc etc
Sick to death of the self entitled generation complaining about everything

View attachment 28269

Key Takeaways

It's a pity you cannot ŋame and shame the business. That is close to fraud!
Absolutely, this company should be exposed so this doesn’t happen again. I wonder how many times this company has already done this to other people. This is the sort of company that takes advantage of vulnerable people, they obviously have no conscience.

Another simple solution!
Don’t be so damned lazy!
We both worked two jobs
We shared the household duties and always had a clean tidy house picking up all toys when the boys went to bed.
Young people are complaining about the cost of things today but are happy to pay for $8 daily coffee, house cleaners etc etc
You know nothing about this ladies situation and definitely have no right to judge her or anyone in fact. How wonderful it must be to think you are so perfect. You don’t sound like you’re a very happy person though, which is sad. Maybe you should splurge on a few little luxuries now and again, it might make you a happier person.
Oh and it’s not only young people that think they are entitled, there are plenty of older people out there that feel that way too.

Best to have clarified total cost on arrival, before they started, then u could say no, I can't afford that. Definitely do not have them back & point out, one of the reasons is because of the deception/dishonesty. I wouldn't trust them at all. Prob also have sticky fingers too if given the opportunity.

We have our house cleaned once a month, it's a team of 3-4 ladies, they concentrate on what's hard for me like skirting boards, doors, bathrooms, windows, shutters etc, they do mop and vacuum too. They are in and out in half the time. The price is set UP FRONT - always always never be embarrassed to nail down what it will cost beforehand- no nasty surprises that way.

When getting a quote for a job, be it a cleaner, plumber, electrician whoever if they quote by the hour ask how long they expect the job to take.
Don't go out leaving them to get on with it, keep an eye on what they are doing. Tradies, in particular, spend a lot of time on their phones while on the job. Don't be afraid to say that you are not paying them to talk on the phone.
When my husband and I had our Reno business, we had both a sub contractor plumber and electrician who billed our client separately. Both on different occasions over charged clients. I chatted them both, said we are working on the job at the same time as you, during that time you spent approximately say 2 hours on the phone talking to other clients, friends, whoever. Our client is not paying you for that time.
Unfortunately, these days, it is hard to get an exact quote from tradies.
We did whole extensions, put in kitchens, renovated bathrooms, etc and always gave a quote for the entire job. If we stuffed up Youon our costings and it took us longer we copped it, a quote is a quote. If we finished much earlier we charged less. We were never out of work, in fact booked up months ahead.
Would still like to know exactly what this cleaner did for it to take 10 hours.
You are young, but you should have cancelled the job. You will know next time. Experience is a wonderful thing. Good luck with your future endeavours.
Noelle 😁 😁

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 28269

Key Takeaways

Another simple solution!
Don’t be so damned lazy!
We both worked two jobs
Just what I thought. We always managed. We still share our work after 58 years :) The young ones - some just love being on show and come up Hacks that we have used for 50 years. They think they are hard done by and know everything...

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 28269

Key Takeaways

Just text her, ‘sorry don’t need your services anymore’ and if she texts back, why? You just say couldn’t give your kids treats this week because you weren’t expecting to pay for four cleaners last week, you used a months cleaning fees up in one week 😢

I am so sorry you had such a dreadful experience....It is all very well saying in hindsight..you should have done this or you should have done that.......when 4 people rock up onto your doorstep to clean the house...I would have thought the original price quoted would prevail...sadly it did not...Never mind chalk it up to experience and in five years time you will probably laugh at it........I always say when I have a bad experience..what will happen in 5 years time...so go with it.......and hopefully your next cleaner is a good and honest one.

Reactions: Ezzy