Avoid this costly mistake! Mum loses $300 to domestic cleaner scam

Keeping your house tidy can be overwhelming. It’s no wonder many turn to professionals for help with house cleaning.

But, as one mum recently discovered, not all cleaners are professional–and the cost of neglecting one little red flag cost her hundreds of dollars.

Indy Clinton, from Sydney, was overwhelmed by the stress of two young children and a busy life when she decided to hire a professional cleaner to help get her home in order.

She sent out a few messages with the intention of hiring someone on a weekly basis, and a local cleaner quoted her $55/hour and promised to bring all her own equipment.

Based on Indy’s calculations, her home would take two hours to clean–and she was willing to pay $110 for the job.

photo (11).jpg
Indy Clinton was scammed by a domestic cleaner. Credit: @indyclinton/TikTok

Unfortunately, Indy overlooked a red flag that had been waving right in front of her.

'I received a text the night before the cleaner was supposed to come, and she said: “We will be there at 10 am.”’

Indy recounted in a video. 'We? She had just told me, “I’m $55 an hour, and I bring all of the products and the vacuum”. But when she said “we”... and I thought “We?” What does “we” mean?'

The cleaner sent Indy another message a few hours before arriving saying: 'By the way, I'm bringing three of my girls.'

Indy was shocked when four women showed up at her doorstep to clean the house–but with the situation already unfolding, she hoped she could still pay a total of $110.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. At the end of the two-and-a-half-hour job, the mum was hit with a bill for $440–that’s $55 per hour for each person cleaning.

'I pretty much passed out, I vomited in my throat. But I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. I looked at her, smiled, and told her I’d transfer the money and then see her next week. But I don’t want to see her next week! How can she say she’s $55 an hour, brings all her own stuff, and just slides in there with three other girls with her?' Indy said.

Sympathy poured from internet users when she posted the video on social media.

One commenter wrote: ‘No, that’s so unprofessional of her.’

‘She knew what she was doing 110 per cent,’ another user commented.

‘You need to say no,’ a third user pointed out.

One person even offered to help her break up with the cleaners, ‘I will draft the break-up text for you, and you just copy and paste, hit send.’

You can watch Indy’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Indy Clinton, from Sydney, hired a local cleaner for $55 per hour and calculated cleaning her home would take two hours and cost $110.
  • The cleaner arrived with three other women and then demanded $440, despite not informing Indy about the extra people or higher cost.
  • Indy missed a few warning signs, including a text message from the cleaner indicating that more than one person would be coming to clean the home.
  • The incident gained attention online, with many sympathising with Indy and criticising the cleaner's deceptive behaviour.

We hope you never have to go through the same experience as Indy. Please don’t proceed with the transaction if you notice any warning signs. And if you or someone you know has been the victim of a cleaning scam, report it to the police.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you experienced a similar scenario with a hired professional? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
Was this a REGISTERED COMPANY? They should have a tax file number as well as Business Registration number & certificate.

There are many people on the NEIGHBOURHOOD site wanting cleaning work & claiming to be experienced & overseas students etc & all of a certain nationality. That aside, there is no guarantee these people have experience, can do a thorough job in a stated time & aren't just working for 'cash in hand'. Pensioner can apply for 'A PACKAGE ' from the Government to do these sort of jobs.

Reactions: mylittletibbies