Avoid this $2,000 visa mistake – advice from an Aussie traveller who learned the hard way

There’s nothing worse than preparing for a fun holiday overseas only to have a crucial misstep leave you out of pocket after your trip.

Take, for example, this Australian traveller who recently returned from a gorgeous holiday, only to find herself facing a rather exorbitant and unexpected visa mistake – costing her a whopping $2,000!

Sharing her story with reporters from 7NEWS and opting to remain anonymous, she recalls her otherwise 'beautiful' Bali holiday turning sour when she experienced a dreadful run-in with immigration officers.

‘The whole thing was pretty horrible,’ she told reporters.

bali1.jpg
The woman claimed to have had a ‘frightening experience at the airport’. Credit: Oleksandr Pidvalnyi/Pexels

She explained in a Facebook group for Aussie travellers that her Bali stay lasted 40 days, and she had purchased a 30-day visa before leaving Australia.

Upon reaching her visa’s expiry, she bought another 30-day visa for the remainder of her stay.

However, the real problem came when it was time to leave and return home. Stopped by an immigration officer at the airport, she was informed that she shouldn't have bought a second visa but instead extended her first visa.

The woman was then charged $100 for each of the ten days she had 'overstayed', leaving her slapped with an alarming $2,000 fee.

bali2.jpg
The woman is now warning other travellers to avoid making the same mistake. Credit: Content Pixie/Pexels

While describing the encounter, the woman also claimed that a man at immigration began screaming at her and the other travellers she was with, leaving them feeling scared.

‘He said we had disrespected their laws and that if we did not pay in cash, we would be ‘taken away’ by immigration and not allowed to leave Bali until we paid, and that we would continue to accrue another $100 a day each,’ she said.

‘He also said that we might be banned from going to Bali again.’

Thankfully, they received receipts for the cash payment, but the woman admitted that the demand for cash left her feeling uneasy.

‘Be careful, everyone...All in all, a horrible, frightening experience,’ she warned.

Checking in with the Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights Directorate General of Immigration website would explain the visa laws of the country.

It says that if a traveller wishes to stay in Indonesia longer than their Visitor Visa permits, they must ‘apply for a residence permit extension at the Immigration Office’.

‘If you overstay your visa, you might be asked to pay fines of 1,000,000 IDR per day ($100 AUD) detained, deported, or banned future travel to Indonesia for a specific period,’ it reads.

Meanwhile, the woman told reporters the experience was ‘pretty horrible’.

‘I mean, okay, we were in the wrong, but there is no need to treat people that way. It was really upsetting and frightening,’ she explained.

‘And the whole thing with demanding cash, well, that’s not the way things are done in Australia. So, whilst it may not have been a scam, apparently, it’s “normal” to take cash, and they did give us a receipt, but it felt that way,’ she continued.

The woman added that the government should not have ‘cash only’ situations because, ‘even if that is true, it reeks of a scam’.

In the aftermath of the ordeal, the woman claimed she contacted the embassy and Indonesian immigration because she said ‘there was no logic to the discussion – just a lot of intimidation’.

‘It’s really put me off going back! And we love Bali. We had even been thinking about going there for a year, but I’m not so sure anymore!’ she shared.

So, what can you do to avoid facing a similar experience?

Make sure you research all the visa requirements before you leave for your holiday, and it’s also wise to have extra cash on hand in case unexpected events occur.

The Australian government service Smartraveller also has advice for obtaining an Indonesian visa.

‘You can apply for an E-Visa on Arrival (E-VOA) no later than 48 hours prior to travelling to Indonesia; check the e-VOA requirements from Indonesian Immigration before applying,’ it advised.

This E-VOA and the standard Visa on Arrival (VOA) cost IDR 500,000 (roughly $50 AUD), with the e-VOA also having a small online processing fee.

Considering the potential risks and penalties associated with not following another country’s visa regulations, it pays to be mindful when planning any sort of trip.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman warns other travellers after a simple visa mistake while in Bali costs her an extra $2000.
  • The woman overstayed her 30-day visa and incorrectly purchased a second visa instead of extending her first.
  • When they arrived at the airport to fly home, they were stopped by an immigration officer and charged $100 a day each for the days they had overstayed.
  • The woman experienced a frightening encounter with an immigration officer who demanded the fine be paid in cash.
Do you have any travel tips you think other members should know? Share your knowledge in the comments below.

Sponsored
Jeepers, who has the money to stay for 40 days on a holiday? Even if Bali is "cheap", but 40 days??? Obviously she had the $'s to do just that, plus buying another visa, and pay $2000 on top of it all. I can't afford to go a weekend away somewhere!!! I haven't been on a holiday since 2007. And that was to Tassie with the Spirit of Tasmania, who had a special on back then. My friend and I ate McDonalds, KFC and yummy Fish & Chips for the entire week we were there, and we stayed in very very cheap accommodation where breakfast was included. The breakfast was cornflakes, weetbix and toast with those small jam's and vegemite containers and coffee and tea. No bacon and eggs 🤣 .. but we didn't care, we loved Tassie. She had a small car that was 20 years old, on the ship and we shared paying the fuel. It was awesome. Tasmania is beautiful ♥♥♥ 1684450518814.png

Jeepers, who has the money to stay for 40 days on a holiday? Even if Bali is "cheap", but 40 days??? Obviously she had the $'s to do just that, plus buying another visa, and pay $2000 on top of it all. I can't afford to go a weekend away somewhere!!! I haven't been on a holiday since 2007. And that was to Tassie with the Spirit of Tasmania, who had a special on back then. My friend and I ate McDonalds, KFC and yummy Fish & Chips for the entire week we were there, and we stayed in very very cheap accommodation where breakfast was included. The breakfast was cornflakes, weetbix and toast with those small jam's and vegemite containers and coffee and tea. No bacon and eggs 🤣 .. but we didn't care, we loved Tassie. She had a small car that was 20 years old, on the ship and we shared paying the fuel. It was awesome. Tasmania is beautiful ♥♥♥ View attachment 20160
Not the same but this rings true with me. I have not had a holiday for over 20 years either and the last was at a caravan park cottage up north by the sea with the family in a bunk bed with my then-young grandson. I did travel for about 6 weeks with a friend in my old Corolla that also needed a sudden unexpected mechanical repair to continue mid trip around Tassie once, and we free camped and cooked our own 'fresh' meals mostly. We also travelled on the old Spirit of Tasmania in this photo about 30 years ago ( I think) with me the only driver aged in my late 50's to Melbourne from Katoomba, then the Ferry there and back. I still drive and would revel in having another holiday long trip ..but camping? If I had a decent camp bed or better, as getting up off the ground now would now definitely cramp my style!!Sigh.

There are going to be a lot more stories like this one from Aussie travellers in Bali.
With the new rules in place you will have to be a lot more vigilant you don't "insult" their country and culture.

There’s nothing worse than preparing for a fun holiday overseas only to have a crucial misstep leave you out of pocket after your trip.

Take, for example, this Australian traveller who recently returned from a gorgeous holiday, only to find herself facing a rather exorbitant and unexpected visa mistake – costing her a whopping $2,000!

Sharing her story with reporters from 7NEWS and opting to remain anonymous, she recalls her otherwise 'beautiful' Bali holiday turning sour when she experienced a dreadful run-in with immigration officers.

View attachment 20137
The woman claimed to have had a ‘frightening experience at the airport’. Credit: Oleksandr Pidvalnyi/Pexels

She explained in a Facebook group for Aussie travellers that her Bali stay lasted 40 days, and she had purchased a 30-day visa before leaving Australia.

Upon reaching her visa’s expiry, she bought another 30-day visa for the remainder of her stay.

However, the real problem came when it was time to leave and return home. Stopped by an immigration officer at the airport, she was informed that she shouldn't have bought a second visa but instead extended her first visa.

The woman was then charged $100 for each of the ten days she had 'overstayed', leaving her slapped with an alarming $2,000 fee.

View attachment 20138
The woman is now warning other travellers to avoid making the same mistake. Credit: Content Pixie/Pexels

While describing the encounter, the woman also claimed that a man at immigration began screaming at her and the other travellers she was with, leaving them feeling scared.

‘He said we had disrespected their laws and that if we did not pay in cash, we would be ‘taken away’ by immigration and not allowed to leave Bali until we paid, and that we would continue to accrue another $100 a day each,’ she said.

Thankfully, they received receipts for the cash payment, but the woman admitted that the demand for cash left her feeling uneasy.

‘Be careful, everyone...All in all, a horrible, frightening experience,’ she warned.

Checking in with the Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights Directorate General of Immigration website would explain the visa laws of the country.

It says that if a traveller wishes to stay in Indonesia longer than their Visitor Visa permits, they must ‘apply for a residence permit extension at the Immigration Office’.

‘If you overstay your visa, you might be asked to pay fines of 1,000,000 IDR per day ($100 AUD) detained, deported, or banned future travel to Indonesia for a specific period,’ it reads.

‘I mean, okay, we were in the wrong, but there is no need to treat people that way. It was really upsetting and frightening,’ she explained.

‘And the whole thing with demanding cash, well, that’s not the way things are done in Australia. So, whilst it may not have been a scam, apparently, it’s “normal” to take cash, and they did give us a receipt, but it felt that way,’ she continued.

The woman added that the government should not have ‘cash only’ situations because, ‘even if that is true, it reeks of a scam’.

In the aftermath of the ordeal, the woman claimed she contacted the embassy and Indonesian immigration because she said ‘there was no logic to the discussion – just a lot of intimidation’.

‘It’s really put me off going back! And we love Bali. We had even been thinking about going there for a year, but I’m not so sure anymore!’ she shared.

Make sure you research all the visa requirements before you leave for your holiday, and it’s also wise to have extra cash on hand in case unexpected events occur.

The Australian government service Smartraveller also has advice for obtaining an Indonesian visa.

‘You can apply for an E-Visa on Arrival (E-VOA) no later than 48 hours prior to travelling to Indonesia; check the e-VOA requirements from Indonesian Immigration before applying,’ it advised.

This E-VOA and the standard Visa on Arrival (VOA) cost IDR 500,000 (roughly $50 AUD), with the e-VOA also having a small online processing fee.

Considering the potential risks and penalties associated with not following another country’s visa regulations, it pays to be mindful when planning any sort of trip.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian woman warns other travellers after a simple visa mistake while in Bali costs her an extra $2000.
  • The woman overstayed her 30-day visa and incorrectly purchased a second visa instead of extending her first.
  • When they arrived at the airport to fly home, they were stopped by an immigration officer and charged $100 a day each for the days they had overstayed.
  • The woman experienced a frightening encounter with an immigration officer who demanded the fine be paid in cash.
Do you have any travel tips you think other members should know? Share your knowledge in the comments below.
Never been to bali but used to call into Jakarta, and if the Capital was a shithole I wouldn't be going to Bali.

Reactions: Catherines
Jeepers, who has the money to stay for 40 days on a holiday? Even if Bali is "cheap", but 40 days??? Obviously she had the $'s to do just that, plus buying another visa, and pay $2000 on top of it all. I can't afford to go a weekend away somewhere!!! I haven't been on a holiday since 2007. And that was to Tassie with the Spirit of Tasmania, who had a special on back then. My friend and I ate McDonalds, KFC and yummy Fish & Chips for the entire week we were there, and we stayed in very very cheap accommodation where breakfast was included. The breakfast was cornflakes, weetbix and toast with those small jam's and vegemite containers and coffee and tea. No bacon and eggs 🤣 .. but we didn't care, we loved Tassie. She had a small car that was 20 years old, on the ship and we shared paying the fuel. It was awesome. Tasmania is beautiful ♥♥♥ View attachment 20160
I dont think her issue was the money but more how they were treated by the officials. Okinawa

Yeah we holidayed in Tassie in 2003 and the 17 trips to Tassie upto 2014 when we retired down here absolutely loving it

What do you expect with such a corrupt country? The cash will go to a few people rather than be paid in. The receipt means nothing other than you handed over cash. Intimidation makes it easier to get the cash.
Bali is the country i have had a huge and intense dislike of and have never wanted or want to go to. Ever! I was horrified decades ago when they hung two young men who had become involved drugs... illegal to have drugs but locals try to entice gullible Aussies to buy their drugs... thats apparently Ok.... and so then they are arrested ,'incarcerated and kept there until they can buy their freedom. Certsinly i could be wrong but they are merciless snd corrupt and thats been well and truly shown publically and i prefer my country Australia which i love

In the past friends i knew would go there regularly for holidays as they loved the massages, etc but nothing could entice me to go with them😟👎

Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 20137

View attachment 20138

Key Takeaways

Here is my travel tip...... Dont go there

Don't go to Bali, it would be the last place I'd go.
If you've never been then you can't judge. Upsets happen in all countries, including Australia.
You need to be aware of the laws of any country you plan to travel to.
It is highly unusual to be treated this way in Bali, the Balinese people are generally polite, friendly and respectful.
Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world travel there every year and lovr it

There are going to be a lot more stories like this one from Aussie travellers in Bali.
With the new rules in place you will have to be a lot more vigilant you don't "insult" their country and culture.

And if you are a passenger on a cruise ship and have no intention to go off the ship you are still hit with a US$45 charge for entering an Indonesian city.