Avoid a lofty $348 fine: Are YOU overlooking this crucial detail as a pet owner?

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we know how important it is to save money wherever possible. Avoiding unexpected costs—especially hefty ones—is crucial to maintaining a stable budget and enjoying a peaceful retirement.

That's why we want to share a tale about pet ownership and the easily forgotten detail that landed one woman with a whopping $348 fine.

compressed-pexels-photo-1322735.jpeg
Despite Jo Marshall's consistent registration of her dog, Rose, she found herself facing a substantial fine for neglecting to inform a previous council about her relocation. Image by Julia from Pexels

Meet Jo Marshall, a single mother who recently moved from Queensland to New South Wales in 2020, along with her nine-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rose.

Rose has been faithfully registered with the local council in NSW since the move, but last month, Jo found herself slapped with a nasty fine in the mail.

Why? She hadn't cancelled Rose's registration in Queensland.

Jo, who relocated to Noosa in 2018 following a painful divorce, struggled to juggle her responsibilities as a single parent and pet owner. Unbeknownst to her, a debt had accrued because she didn't cancel Rose's registration in Queensland.

Over two years, Jo received digital notices from the Sunshine Coast Council. They informed her that she needed to renew her dog registration. As Jo no longer lived there, she assumed those notices didn't apply to her and deleted them.

The consequences of not updating her address became clear when the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) issued an overdue debt notice. It demanded payment of $348 within two weeks, threatening to suspend her driver's licence if she didn't pay up.

As many can relate, the cost of living can be overwhelming, and Jo was no exception.

Managing week-to-week, she had no option but to pay the fine. Losing her licence would mean making insurance claims impossible and not being able to drive her daughter to school—a 1000-kilometre weekly commute.

compressed-pexels-photo-1322737.jpeg
When Jo failed to update her address, she received an overdue debt notice from the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) demanding $348 within two weeks, with a threat to suspend her driver's license. Image by Julia from Pexels

In an attempt to dispute the fine, Jo cited the reasons for her relocation and highlighted the confusion around the registration process.

'They should be more transparent.' she posted on social media. But ultimately, the fine print was on the council's side.

This tale serves as a reminder for pet owners to ensure they've covered all bases when moving. Jo isn't the only one caught out by this easily overlooked detail.

Other former locals have experienced similar situations, struggling to reverse fines and facing the threat of their driver's licences being cancelled.

Evidently, this issue isn't isolated. Many pet owners assume that registering their pets with a new council automatically cancels their registration with the original council. However, this is far from the truth.

Key Takeaways
  • A pet owner and single mother in NSW received an unexpected fine in the mail for not cancelling her pet's registration when she moved from Queensland.
  • The fine amounted to $348, and the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) threatened to suspend her driver's licence if she did not pay within two weeks.
  • The pet owner tried to dispute the fine but was unsuccessful due to the 'fine print' and was ultimately forced to arrange a payment plan for the sum owed.
  • Many other pet owners have faced similar issues, with some commenting on social media about their experiences and urging others to cancel their pet registrations when moving.
To prevent such situations, it’s essential to stay informed and be aware of local regulations surrounding pet ownership.

The Sunshine Coast Council website states that failing to renew registration for a cat or dog may result in on-the-spot fines. However, it doesn't clearly state the consequences of not updating changes of address.

The key takeaway is to be proactive and vigilant! Ensure you've ticked all the boxes when it comes to pet registration and address changes. Taking the necessary precautions can save you an unexpected fine that could seriously impact your budget.

So, have you taken the necessary steps to ensure your pet's registration and address changes are up-to-date?

Sponsored
Well, how stupid was she to not tell them on the FIRST Notice that she had moved and the dog was being registered in another State. Would have taken all of 1 minute to tell them and she wouldn't have the fine Lazy doesn't payoff.

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we know how important it is to save money wherever possible. Avoiding unexpected costs—especially hefty ones—is crucial to maintaining a stable budget and enjoying a peaceful retirement.

That's why we want to share a tale about pet ownership and the easily forgotten detail that landed one woman with a whopping $348 fine.

View attachment 23106
Despite Jo Marshall's consistent registration of her dog, Rose, she found herself facing a substantial fine for neglecting to inform a previous council about her relocation. Image by Julia from Pexels

Meet Jo Marshall, a single mother who recently moved from Queensland to New South Wales in 2020, along with her nine-year-old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rose.

Rose has been faithfully registered with the local council in NSW since the move, but last month, Jo found herself slapped with a nasty fine in the mail.

Jo, who relocated to Noosa in 2018 following a painful divorce, struggled to juggle her responsibilities as a single parent and pet owner. Unbeknownst to her, a debt had accrued because she didn't cancel Rose's registration in Queensland.

Over two years, Jo received digital notices from the Sunshine Coast Council. They informed her that she needed to renew her dog registration. As Jo no longer lived there, she assumed those notices didn't apply to her and deleted them.

The consequences of not updating her address became clear when the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) issued an overdue debt notice. It demanded payment of $348 within two weeks, threatening to suspend her driver's licence if she didn't pay up.

As many can relate, the cost of living can be overwhelming, and Jo was no exception.

Managing week-to-week, she had no option but to pay the fine. Losing her licence would mean making insurance claims impossible and not being able to drive her daughter to school—a 1000-kilometre weekly commute.

View attachment 23107
When Jo failed to update her address, she received an overdue debt notice from the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) demanding $348 within two weeks, with a threat to suspend her driver's license. Image by Julia from Pexels

In an attempt to dispute the fine, Jo cited the reasons for her relocation and highlighted the confusion around the registration process.

'They should be more transparent.' she posted on social media. But ultimately, the fine print was on the council's side.

This tale serves as a reminder for pet owners to ensure they've covered all bases when moving. Jo isn't the only one caught out by this easily overlooked detail.

Other former locals have experienced similar situations, struggling to reverse fines and facing the threat of their driver's licences being cancelled.

Evidently, this issue isn't isolated. Many pet owners assume that registering their pets with a new council automatically cancels their registration with the original council. However, this is far from the truth.

Key Takeaways

• A pet owner and single mother in NSW received an unexpected fine in the mail for not cancelling her pet's registration when she moved from Queensland.
  • The fine amounted to $348, and the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) threatened to suspend her driver's licence if she did not pay within two weeks.
  • The pet owner tried to dispute the fine but was unsuccessful due to the 'fine print' and was ultimately forced to arrange a payment plan for the sum owed.
  • Many other pet owners have faced similar issues, with some commenting on social media about their experiences and urging others to cancel their pet registrations when moving.
To prevent such situations, it’s essential to stay informed and be aware of local regulations surrounding pet ownership.

The Sunshine Coast Council website states that failing to renew registration for a cat or dog may result in on-the-spot fines. However, it doesn't clearly state the consequences of not updating changes of address.

The key takeaway is to be proactive and vigilant! Ensure you've ticked all the boxes when it comes to pet registration and address changes. Taking the necessary precautions can save you an unexpected fine that could seriously impact your budget.

So, have you taken the necessary steps to ensure your pet's registration and address changes are up-to-date?
That is revenue raising. No other reason.

My little dog is not registered so I dont have that problem with greedy councils... I pick up after him when we are out and about he is neutered and always on a lead except at home.

Reactions: Joyem
I agree this is just revenue raising.I have moved numerous times and have never advised the council, it's not as if the dog WASN'T registered and what difference does it make to them if you have moved. Have never been fined by any council in WA.
In fact, went to my local council to register my dogs when I moved here some 18 months ago, filled in the paperwork for them and told the girl I wanted lifetime registration. she came back and told me they had no lifetime tags. I said I would pay and pick them up late. Then she couldn't fill in the details because the computer wouldn't let her go any further without the tag number.
She said they would ring when they had the tags,still waiting.
Waited 6weeks for delivery of a load of blue metal, $125 for delivery 5 minutes drive away .
Lazy councils are very good at charging exhorbitant prices and issuing ridiculous fines, but not so good at providing service.

I live in this jurisdiction and I must say SCC are the worst local council I have ever come across. Self serving ……

I call BS on this. Sounds like a facebook story that a commercial news will now promote as: Shock Horror council revenue grab story.

I wouldn't have paid the fine. Assuming this person had transferred her driver's licence from Queensland to NSW, the powers that be in Queensland do not have any legal authority to cancel a NSW driver's licence.

I wouldn't have paid the fine. Assuming this person had transferred her driver's licence from Queensland to NSW, the powers that be in Queensland do not have any legal authority to cancel a NSW driver's licence.
I think you have the wrong story this one is about registering a dog.

My little dog is not registered so I dont have that problem with greedy councils... I pick up after him when we are out and about he is neutered and always on a lead except at home.
Me too.
My little doggie was never registered, just chipped.
She was 100% a home dog and so tiny she nestled in a holder if we took her out.
The idea of registration on top of microchip is another revenue raiser. As a pensioner, I simply could not add it to the dog budget.
There may be a reasoning behind registration but I haven't heard of one. My understanding is that chips are the first port of call to ID animals, not licences.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Just a couple of comments...
(1) registration of dogs is legally required in all states of Australia so it is a bit risky to not register your dog;
(2) registration of cats is required in all states except Tasmania.
(3) When you move, whether interstate or just to the next local government area, you can usually transfer your registration. In WA, there is no additional fee for this.

REGISTERING YOUR PET - STATE BY STATE BREAKDOWN​

Reactions: Ezzy
It's just crazy, as it should be on her 'to do list'.
My neighbours next door haven't bothered to re-register their cars that are from another state.

Just a couple of comments...
(1) registration of dogs is legally required in all states of Australia so it is a bit risky to not register your dog;
(2) registration of cats is required in all states except Tasmania.
(3) When you move, whether interstate or just to the next local government area, you can usually transfer your registration. In WA, there is no additional fee for this.

REGISTERING YOUR PET - STATE BY STATE BREAKDOWN​

Every Council in each State is a bit different for cats. Where I live, cats need a permit only if households own more than 2 cats.

Every Council in each State is a bit different for cats. Where I live, cats need a permit only if households own more than 2 cats.
Yes, that's why I provided the link with more detailed information. Over here, most councils won't let you have more than two cats unless there are extenuating circumstances (e.g. your parent has just passed away and you've inherited their animals, in addition to your own). Also, most councils require registration, microchipping and sterilisation.

Reactions: Ezzy and Penny4

View attachment 23106

View attachment 23107

Key Takeaways

Just another. money grabbing council ridulous if you’ve registered elsewhere it should be cancelled in the other state

Reactions: Ezzy
One must fight for what’s not right…but people prefer to complain. If Jo had a difficult time, she obviously obviously would have see her doctor, we all know, divorcing is also a cause to grievance. With a medical certificate and perhaps a day in court Jo should have appeal and I’m sure she would have been exempted.
A positive lesson to learn from.

This is NOT on the council (no matter whether you think it is a money-making exercise or not) but is fairly and squarely on the dog owner. Frankly claiming to be 'divorced, single mother, can't afford a fine ' etc etc etc are just reasons not to have the dog in the first place. She admits to receiving the notifications and ignoring them. That's on her. A single phone call after the first notification would have solved the issue. Did she learn nothing from the tribulations of COVID that QLD is for Queenslanders and will never co-operate with other states least of all NSW! Pay the fine, learn the lesson and move on with or without a dog.

And to all those of you proudly announcing you have never registered your dog, get over yourselves. It is the law in all states so you better just hope that you don't get found out. And BTW it is surprisingly easy to find out.

Yes, that's why I provided the link with more detailed information. Over here, most councils won't let you have more than two cats unless there are extenuating circumstances (e.g. your parent has just passed away and you've inherited their animals, in addition to your own). Also, most councils require registration, microchipping and sterilisation.
That website is incorrect about Qld though with regards to cats, so cat owners need to check their local Council Authority about registration.

Last edited: