Authorities share telltale signs about deepfake AI scams

In an age where technology is advancing at an unprecedented pace, it's not just the young and tech-savvy who must be on guard.

Our community is increasingly becoming the target of sophisticated scams and could get involved in these schemes without their knowledge.

NSW Police sounded the alarm on a new wave of scams sweeping the country, where fraudsters use artificial intelligence (AI) to create convincing fake videos and audio recordings.

These realistic deepfakes can easily fool people into believing they're seeing or hearing from loved ones, celebrities, or public figures, leading to devastating financial consequences.

compressed-pexels-thisisengineering-3861964.jpeg
Many Aussies fall prey to deepfake scams due to its advanced nature. Image Credit: Pexels/This Is Engineering

The warning comes as more Australians report high-tech cons, with scammers using deepfake technology to create false endorsements to access personal information and bank details.

A Hunter Valley resident recently shared his harrowing experience with a deepfake scam that cost him $400,000.

An advertisement on Facebook featuring 'endorsements' from high-profile figures lured him into a fraudulent investment scheme.

The NSW Police urged the public to be vigilant and to look out for telltale signs of deepfake scams.

Here are some things to observe when watching dubious endorsements:

• Unnatural facial expressions
  • Odd emphasis on words
  • Distortions around the hands and visible body parts
  • Mismatched lip-synching
  • Unusual blinking patterns
If any signs are visible in the video, it's time to look away and save yourself from possible schemes.

In a recent article, business journalist David 'Kochie' Koch warned about scammers and their use of deepfake technology.

Two women lost $250,000 and $800,000 after watching a deepfake ad of him endorsing a cryptocurrency platform.

'It's devastating because it's my reputation, and these scams are so good,' he shared his frustration.

The scams not only affect ordinary citizens but also affect reputable personalities, who scammers unknowingly rope in.

In the digital age, seeing and hearing is no longer believing.

As we embrace the convenience of technology, we must also arm ourselves with knowledge and caution.

In case you or someone you know fell victim to a deepfake scam, here are some things you can do to report and bring justice to the situation.
Key Takeaways

• NSW Police warned the public about an emerging trend of deepfake AI scams.
  • Scammers use deepfake technology to create fake videos or messages of celebrities or loved ones to manipulate people into fraudulent investments or steal information.
  • A Hunter Valley resident lost significant money to a sophisticated investment scam promoted by deepfake ads.
  • To avoid these scams, the public is advised to look for inconsistencies in videos to prevent falling prey to scammers immediately.
What are your thoughts about these complicated schemes? Let us know in the comments below.

For more updates about the latest scams and preventive measures, you may visit the SDC forum's Scam Watch section.

Sponsored
The man from Hunter Valley was duped by an Elon Musk AI. I've seen the video, it's so badly done surely he should have known.
Clutch Cargo looked authentic compared to it.
Also anyone who's rich doesn't share their secrets.

I've been getting these BS announcements for many months. Generally fake "deleted" footage from the Sunrise or Today shows, featuring AI "celebrities such as Jessica Malboy, Ash Barty, and Natalie Barr. The latest shows Richard Wilkins which arrived on my digital doorstep yesterday.

The six or more instances say that the interview has been deleted but a transcript of the "interview" is provided. In ALL cases, the dialogue of the "interview" is EXACTLY THE SAME, but with the names changed.

There is a provision to leave a comment on the website, which is full of probably fake "testimonials". A few months ago, I left a comment warning that the whole thing was a scam. You know it - my comment was never posted!

EDIT: Notice the Cryllic script in the link? This was not evident in the link given to me. LOUD warning bells right there! Possibly a Russian generated scam.

YOU ARE WARNED....AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

I use Facebook for my sewing groups and Have never seen these personalities on Facebook. I do see them on MSN news when i open Microsoft edge...
I am sure we here on SDC have heard these stories before and are well aware of anything like these so called scams

Reactions: Liz and Gsr
I've been getting these BS announcements for many months. Generally fake "deleted" footage from the Sunrise or Today shows, featuring AI "celebrities such as Jessica Malboy, Ash Barty, and Natalie Barr. The latest shows Richard Wilkins which arrived on my digital doorstep yesterday.

The six or more instances say that the interview has been deleted but a transcript of the "interview" is provided. In ALL cases, the dialogue of the "interview" is EXACTLY THE SAME, but with the names changed.

There is a provision to leave a comment on the website, which is full of probably fake "testimonials". A few months ago, I left a comment warning that the whole thing was a scam. You know it - my comment was never posted!

EDIT: Notice the Cryllic script in the link? This was not evident in the link given to me. LOUD warning bells right there! Possibly a Russian generated scam.

YOU ARE WARNED....AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
That text translates as in this screenshot. 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-10-10-13-26-09_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7~2.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-10-10-13-26-09_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7~2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Why do they keep saying new wave scam a scam is a scam if your not expecting a text or a call just delete it

Reactions: Scaveola
Being nearly deaf I first noticed that the lips are out of sync and have noted that in my comments before. There is also a lack of expressions on the speakers face, but I didn't notice the eyes blinking due to watching the lips. There is also a lack of personality with the speakers voice that stood out for me as we have all heard these people speak many times on the media. With AI the voice has the same pitch. It's like playing the same note on a piano. They often add subtitles to take your attention away from the speakers faces and lips which is a bigger catch if you don't pay attention. Do not trust anyone who advertises on FB. Research everything.

I can’t believe there are still so many gullible people falling victim to these scams. Doesn’t anyone bother to check them out before giving them access to their money for whatever reason? Or is it greed making them vulnerable?