SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
Australia's Iconic No 96

I was shock to read that it's over 50 years since No 96 first broadcast in March .

I remember I was around 11 and was one of the few kids that was aloud to sit up and watch it.

If you watched it who was your favourite person ?
Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-10.jpeg.jpg

images.jpeg-34.jpg
The soap set in a fictional apartment block ran for 5 years on Network 10, breaking taboos, causing outrage, massive TV ratings and creating world firsts in the process.

No other show on television dared to tackle the subjects of its racy scripts in 1972: the world’s first sympathetic gay character, an interracial romance, transgender, rape, illegal abortion, satanic black mass, nudity, a knickers snipper, pantyhose murderer, -and viewers couldn’t get enough of it.

Did you know some of the characters were based on real people .

It was set in an inner Sydney suburb of Paddington.
Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-6.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Not allowed to watch it..but most of my schoolmates did...they had a promo where if you lived at a number 96 you were eligible for a prize...

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I was 12 and my parents allowed me to watch it as all other people at school were, with either parent sitting at the channel controls to change the channel if anything unsuitable happened. That meant most of the time we were watching something else.

Oh yes, I certainly loved No.96. I was also 11 yrs old in 1972. I was caught hiding behind lounge chair by my sis watching a nudie scene giggling at the time! I loved Dorrie Evans/Pat McDonald who was always funny! I know my Mum loved her too and of course like most males, my Dad liked Abigail haha! I also thought Don, the gay lawyer played by Joe Hasham was hot! We all sat up waiting for the bomb the blew the apartment block up!!!!! Then there was The Box as well...great old shows back in the day!

In later yrs Abigail and Pat McDonald acted together again on another great show Sons and Daughters. Love this show too. I have been watching it on 7 plus.

Australia's Iconic No 96

I was shock to read that it's over 50 years since No 96 first broadcast in March .

I remember I was around 11 and was one of the few kids that was aloud to sit up and watch it.

If you watched it who was your favourite person ?
View attachment 27790

View attachment 27788
The soap set in a fictional apartment block ran for 5 years on Network 10, breaking taboos, causing outrage, massive TV ratings and creating world firsts in the process.

No other show on television dared to tackle the subjects of its racy scripts in 1972: the world’s first sympathetic gay character, an interracial romance, transgender, rape, illegal abortion, satanic black mass, nudity, a knickers snipper, pantyhose murderer, -and viewers couldn’t get enough of it.

Did you know some of the characters were based on real people .

It was set in an inner Sydney suburb of Paddington.
View attachment 27789
We weren't allowed to watch it,my Dad would usher me and my 5 younger sisters out of the room once the theme music started telling us " Okay girls,off to bed now. Goodnight"🙂

Reactions: Cateyes