Australians Targeted by myGov Scam Text Exploiting Rising Cost of Living Woes

With the cost of living in Australia continuing to rise, many Australians are struggling to make ends meet as it becomes increasingly difficult to cover essential expenses such as housing, energy, and food.

As a result, more and more people are turning to social services to help them cope with the financial strain.

Unfortunately, some cruel scammers are taking advantage of people’s vulnerability.

A Reddit user recently shared a screenshot of a scam text message sent to them with a promise of a one-off myGov payment of $800 to 'help you cope with the cost of living crisis’.

The message included a faulty URL posing as a government website and is an attempt to get people to share their personal information.

ec44221317bd95601d4288e70cc78f80b38ac6a6.jpg

Australians are being warned about scammers targeting vulnerable people amid the rising cost of living. Credit: Reddit.

'Lucky their spoofed website doesn’t even work,' the Reddit user said.

'I’m sure lots of people will fall for this.'

The scam is especially concerning as calls are growing louder for the federal government to raise the rate of welfare payments, which currently sit at $49.50 per day for singles on JobSeeker and $40.20 per day for Youth Allowance.

If someone in need of financial assistance took up this scam, it could have devastating consequences.

MyGov has issued recent alerts warning about different scams spoofing the organisation. Their advice for suspicious messages is to never reply, open any links or download any attachments.

The agency said: ‘myGov will never send you an email, SMS message, or direct message or private chat on social media, asking you to click on a link to sign in to myGov, enter your bank details, tell us your personal details, including your Customer Reference Number (CRN) or Tax File Number (TFN).’

In case you receive a doubtful text message, it's recommended that you report it to myGov.
If you have already disclosed your information to scammers, please reach out to the Services Australia Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk.

1682567286948.png
myGov tips on how to avoid and report scams. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians are being warned about scammers posing as government agencies, promising financial assistance amid rising living costs.
  • A Reddit user shared a screenshot of a scam text message, which promised an $800 payment from a fake government website.
  • MyGov has issued alerts about scams impersonating their organisation and advises against sharing personal information.
  • If you receive a suspicious message, report it to MyGov, and if you have already disclosed personal information, contact the Services Australia Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk.

When dealing with anyone who claims to be from a government agency, it is best to be extra vigilant.

It is also worth noting that this is not the first time that myGov users have been targeted by scammers. You can read more about it here.

Members, be sure to double-check any third-party texts and emails before clicking links.

Don’t ever give away your confidential information unless you are absolutely sure the message is genuine.

Are there any other tips you have for avoiding scams like this? Don’t forget to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yes they are criminals but they are no designated as criminals until they get taken to Court and prosecuted.

And for that to happen, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for, for fears of getting blue in the face.
Ah, great and fair points @Kelpie! Sad, but considering the length of time involved, I'd hope for the universe to do its things instead and give them their due in whatever form necessary instead :LOL:

Reactions: Kelpie
Ah, great and fair points @Kelpie! Sad, but considering the length of time involved, I'd hope for the universe to do its things instead and give them their due in whatever form necessary instead :LOL:
Lets put it simply Jarred Santos, you have a good suggestion but one thing is for sure, there will be a day of reckoning as all of us will have to face it and that is that they will not be able to take the fruits of their frauds and scams with them.
As I wrote a while ago, "Have you ever seen a funeral pulling up at the bank on the way to the cemetery.?"

I REST MY CASE.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Lets put it simply Jarred Santos, you have a good suggestion but one thing is for sure, there will be a day of reckoning as all of us will have to face it and that is that they will not be able to take the fruits of their frauds and scams with them.
As I wrote a while ago, "Have you ever seen a funeral pulling up at the bank on the way to the cemetery.?"

I REST MY CASE.
Well said @Kelpie! I've also heard once that 'justice delayed is justice denied', so I hope that for the many unfortunates who these scammers dupe, improvements are made so they get their money back.

Reactions: Kelpie
Well said @Kelpie! I've also heard once that 'justice delayed is justice denied', so I hope that for the many unfortunates who these scammers dupe, improvements are made so they get their money back.
IMHO, like I said before, LETS START WITH THE BANKS and force them to pay for their customers and for what they are enforced to wear/endure

Reactions: Jarred Santos
With the cost of living in Australia continuing to rise, many Australians are struggling to make ends meet as it becomes increasingly difficult to cover essential expenses such as housing, energy, and food.

As a result, more and more people are turning to social services to help them cope with the financial strain.

Unfortunately, some cruel scammers are taking advantage of people’s vulnerability.

A Reddit user recently shared a screenshot of a scam text message sent to them with a promise of a one-off myGov payment of $800 to 'help you cope with the cost of living crisis’.

The message included a faulty URL posing as a government website and is an attempt to get people to share their personal information.

ec44221317bd95601d4288e70cc78f80b38ac6a6.jpg

Australians are being warned about scammers targeting vulnerable people amid the rising cost of living. Credit: Reddit.

'Lucky their spoofed website doesn’t even work,' the Reddit user said.

'I’m sure lots of people will fall for this.'

The scam is especially concerning as calls are growing louder for the federal government to raise the rate of welfare payments, which currently sit at $49.50 per day for singles on JobSeeker and $40.20 per day for Youth Allowance.

If someone in need of financial assistance took up this scam, it could have devastating consequences.

MyGov has issued recent alerts warning about different scams spoofing the organisation. Their advice for suspicious messages is to never reply, open any links or download any attachments.

The agency said: ‘myGov will never send you an email, SMS message, or direct message or private chat on social media, asking you to click on a link to sign in to myGov, enter your bank details, tell us your personal details, including your Customer Reference Number (CRN) or Tax File Number (TFN).’

In case you receive a doubtful text message, it's recommended that you report it to myGov.
If you have already disclosed your information to scammers, please reach out to the Services Australia Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk.

View attachment 18444
myGov tips on how to avoid and report scams. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned about scammers posing as government agencies, promising financial assistance amid rising living costs.
  • A Reddit user shared a screenshot of a scam text message, which promised an $800 payment from a fake government website.
  • MyGov has issued alerts about scams impersonating their organisation and advises against sharing personal information.
  • If you receive a suspicious message, report it to MyGov, and if you have already disclosed personal information, contact the Services Australia Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk.

When dealing with anyone who claims to be from a government agency, it is best to be extra vigilant.

It is also worth noting that this is not the first time that myGov users have been targeted by scammers. You can read more about it here.

Members, be sure to double-check any third-party texts and emails before clicking links.

Don’t ever give away your confidential information unless you are absolutely sure the message is genuine.

Are there any other tips you have for avoiding scams like this? Don’t forget to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.