Australians grapple with soaring costs of everyday pantry staples

The rising cost of living is a concern for everyone, especially those living on a fixed income.

A recent analysis has revealed a startling increase in the prices of common pantry staples, leaving many Australians feeling the pinch.

According to a report by Compare the Market, Australian shoppers are now paying up to twice as much as they were three years ago for everyday items such as olive oil and a bag of mixed peas and corn.

The study shows that no shopping aisle has been spared from the impact of inflation since 2021, with prices of common items jumping by a staggering 40 per cent.

pantry-6033796_640.jpg
Your pantry staples may be more expensive this time around. Credit: Pixabay

The most significant price hike was seen in Monini Classico Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which has doubled in price from $12 in 2021 to $24 this year. This increase is attributed to the devastating drought and fires in Europe, which have severely impacted olive production.

A few months ago, a price hike was reported for a Woolworths home brand olive oil by $1.20 in 12 months. It was also reported that Coles had a price hike for its olive oils. You can read more about these stories here.

Meanwhile, a simple bag of McCain mixed vegetables has seen a 54 per cent price increase, rising from $2.60 to $4.

Other pantry staples have not been spared either. The price of Bega Tasty Cheese Block has jumped by $2.50 (31 per cent), Red Rock Deli Sea Salt chips are up 35 per cent, and the cost of a 10-pack of Coca-Cola 375ml has risen by 32 per cent.

Chris Ford from Compare the Market points out that while an increase of a few dollars may not seem significant at first glance, it can have a major impact on a household's weekly budget.

‘We know that the big supermarkets are trying to lure in customers by locking in or dropping prices, but our analysis shows that many of the essentials we shop for each week have actually increased since last year,’ he said.

'In a time where we're seeing energy bills skyrocket, feeling pain at the petrol bowser and seeing insurance premiums rise, the last thing we want is for Australians to be forking out more than they need to on everyday items they need.’

Ford also warned that recent extreme weather events and potential increases in shipping costs could contribute to higher checkout prices in the near future.

‘Which is why it’s more important now than ever before for Aussies to take back control, wake up to waste and pay as little as possible for the groceries we need.’

Shoppers have been urged to shop around before they go in-store to make sure they are getting the best price.

The rising cost of groceries has not gone unnoticed by the government.

Supermarket prices have become a political hot topic in recent weeks as the government seeks to reassure voters about their record on the cost of living.

A review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct, which governs the relationship between retailers, wholesalers and suppliers, is underway.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has expressed concern about the prices consumers are paying at the big supermarket giants.

The government has hinted at the possibility of ordering the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to launch an inquiry into deceptive prices.

'We want to make sure that people are paying the lowest possible prices when they get to a checkout. That's our priority, along with other measures to assist people,' PM Albanese said.
Key Takeaways
  • Prices of common pantry staples in Australia have increased significantly, in some cases up to twice as much as three years ago.
  • Fresh analysis by Compare the Market indicates that no shopping aisle has been immune to inflation, with some items experiencing price jumps of 40 per cent since 2021.
  • Shoppers are encouraged to compare prices before purchasing to ensure they get the best deals amidst rising costs for goods like olive oil, mixed vegetables, cheese, chips, and soft drinks.
  • There is political attention on supermarket prices, with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese expressing concern, a review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct underway, and the potential for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to initiate an inquiry into deceptive prices.
Have you been feeling the pinch with the increase in your pantry staples? Do you have tips on saving more or how you can buy them at a much lower price? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
The rising cost of living is a concern for everyone, especially those living on a fixed income.

A recent analysis has revealed a startling increase in the prices of common pantry staples, leaving many Australians feeling the pinch.

According to a report by Compare the Market, Australian shoppers are now paying up to twice as much as they were three years ago for everyday items such as olive oil and a bag of mixed peas and corn.

The study shows that no shopping aisle has been spared from the impact of inflation since 2021, with prices of common items jumping by a staggering 40 per cent.

View attachment 39381

The most significant price hike was seen in Monini Classico Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which has doubled in price from $12 in 2021 to $24 this year. This increase is attributed to the devastating drought and fires in Europe, which have severely impacted olive production.

A few months ago, a price hike was reported for a Woolworths home brand olive oil by $1.20 in 12 months. It was also reported that Coles had a price hike for its olive oils. You can read more about these stories here.

Meanwhile, a simple bag of McCain mixed vegetables has seen a 54 per cent price increase, rising from $2.60 to $4.

Other pantry staples have not been spared either. The price of Bega Tasty Cheese Block has jumped by $2.50 (31 per cent), Red Rock Deli Sea Salt chips are up 35 per cent, and the cost of a 10-pack of Coca-Cola 375ml has risen by 32 per cent.

Chris Ford from Compare the Market points out that while an increase of a few dollars may not seem significant at first glance, it can have a major impact on a household's weekly budget.

‘We know that the big supermarkets are trying to lure in customers by locking in or dropping prices, but our analysis shows that many of the essentials we shop for each week have actually increased since last year,’ he said.

'In a time where we're seeing energy bills skyrocket, feeling pain at the petrol bowser and seeing insurance premiums rise, the last thing we want is for Australians to be forking out more than they need to on everyday items they need.’

Ford also warned that recent extreme weather events and potential increases in shipping costs could contribute to higher checkout prices in the near future.

‘Which is why it’s more important now than ever before for Aussies to take back control, wake up to waste and pay as little as possible for the groceries we need.’

Shoppers have been urged to shop around before they go in-store to make sure they are getting the best price.

Supermarket prices have become a political hot topic in recent weeks as the government seeks to reassure voters about their record on the cost of living.

A review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct, which governs the relationship between retailers, wholesalers and suppliers, is underway.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has expressed concern about the prices consumers are paying at the big supermarket giants.

The government has hinted at the possibility of ordering the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to launch an inquiry into deceptive prices.

'We want to make sure that people are paying the lowest possible prices when they get to a checkout. That's our priority, along with other measures to assist people,' PM Albanese said.
Key Takeaways

• Prices of common pantry staples in Australia have increased significantly, in some cases up to twice as much as three years ago.
  • Fresh analysis by Compare the Market indicates that no shopping aisle has been immune to inflation, with some items experiencing price jumps of 40 per cent since 2021.
  • Shoppers are encouraged to compare prices before purchasing to ensure they get the best deals amidst rising costs for goods like olive oil, mixed vegetables, cheese, chips, and soft drinks.
  • There is political attention on supermarket prices, with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese expressing concern, a review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct underway, and the potential for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to initiate an inquiry into deceptive prices.
Have you been feeling the pinch with the increase in your pantry staples? Do you have tips on saving more or how you can buy them at a much lower price? Share them with us in the comments below!
A lot of very good information (thou had already notice the bigger than normal increase on some items. Information is always good if acted on so have now crossed a few more items of the shopping list. A couple of price increases that have gone through the roof, bread, crisp, cheese, UHT cream, baked beans, toilet rolls.
It’s either shop around or go without. We’re they say there is a shortage, if people gave those items a miss for a few weeks, stocks would build up and price would come down or that’s the theory

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 39381

Key Takeaways

I purchase fruit and vegies from spud shed and most grocery items from Aldi. I am a pensioner and Coles and Woolies prices are going up daily, exampel is Royal blue potatoes in 2kg bag in Coles $6-50 I can get 2x2kg bags same brand same packaging at Spud shed for $3. Coles should be looked into for price gouging

I too have noticed these price hikes. I look at the Coles catalogue that I download online each week and use this to jolt my memory of something that I am running short of. I then buy while on special. BUT I have noticed that most items Coles brag are half-price is that they are unnecessary items, chips cool drinks sweets chocolates etc.

I purchase fruit and vegies from spud shed and most grocery items from Aldi. I am a pensioner and Coles and Woolies prices are going up daily, exampel is Royal blue potatoes in 2kg bag in Coles $6-50 I can get 2x2kg bags same brand same packaging at Spud shed for $3. Coles should be looked into for price gouging
The problem is for some us, where our 2 local supermarkets (Coles & Woolworths)are located there are no other choices for fruit & veges unless we drive closer into town. Then the cost of petrol & time becomes an issue.

I too have noticed these price hikes. I look at the Coles catalogue that I download online each week and use this to jolt my memory of something that I am running short of. I then buy while on special. BUT I have noticed that most items Coles brag are half-price is that they are unnecessary items, chips cool drinks sweets chocolates etc.
Totally agree. Just looking the prices for Devondale & Western Star margarine. It wasn't that long ago when you could get a 500gm tub for $3.50 then they started going up $4, $4.50 , $5 now you pay $7. That to me is unjustified, highway robbery. I just won't buy them anymore. I look for a cheaper alternative, even though I did like those brands. Unfortunately it's the farmers who will be loosing out, as everyone looks for cheaper products.

I look online at the prices to see which one has the prices for less money. Then I go to Aldi, when able to, to get longlife milk at half the price of Woolies and Coles. And has anyone noticed how cat food is escalating especially at the big two. I buy what I can from Aldi, I know it is not good quality but at least she is being fed and I buy what I can from the others when on special.

Reactions: DLHM
I look online at the prices to see which one has the prices for less money. Then I go to Aldi, when able to, to get longlife milk at half the price of Woolies and Coles. And has anyone noticed how cat food is escalating especially at the big two. I buy what I can from Aldi, I know it is not good quality but at least she is being fed and I buy what I can from the others when on special.
My cat will only eat a certain brand that is not sold in grocery stores; have to go to a pet shop to buy her food.

My cat will only eat a certain brand that is not sold in grocery stores; have to go to a pet shop to buy her food.
Mine has to eat dental buscuits and they are not cheap. She was supposed to eat gastric food but it has become so expensive for 24 tins, it is getting above my budget.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM