Australians brace for all-in-one digital ID system

In an era where rapid change is no secret, keeping up with evolving technology and trends can be quite daunting. While many of us embrace change as it comes, a question lingers: Is change always for the better?

Today, we're going to discuss a new bill that the Australian government is looking into introducing: the national digital ID system.

As with any new service, it's essential to understand the system and how it works. So, let's explore the details.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 2.58.57 PM.png
The new digital ID will centralise official identification documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses onto a government-run platform. Credit: Shutterstock.

The new Digital ID initiative aims to centralise various official documents and forms of identification, including passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses, onto a single government-operated platform.

This will then be the primary tool for verifying individuals' identities when interacting with government departments or third-party organisations, such as banks, real estate agencies, and insurance companies.

That means, when it comes to paperwork and administration, Aussies will soon no longer have to worry about uploading or handing over hard-copy documents to prove their identities.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher unveiled the draft legislation for the ID bill on Tuesday, September 20, marking the beginning of consultations with the public.

'The legislation, when passed, will move Digital ID to a nationally regulated system which will be accessible across both the public and private sector and will include strong privacy protections,' she said.

Simon Bush, CEO of the Australian Information Industry Association, has welcomed the move, saying that the new digital ID will 'improve service delivery and interoperability with other departments and states'.

He said: 'The proposed legislation will provide strong regulation for accredited Digital ID providers to make sure they keep your information private and secure if you choose to create and reuse a Digital ID to access online services.'

Ms Gallagher said the final version of the contentious bill is slated for release by the end of 2023.

She is also optimistic that the system will become operational around mid-2024. When asked about the launch date, she mentioned this tentative timeline during the AFR summit, saying, 'Potentially mid-next year.'

More than 10 million Aussies are currently using myGov ID, and various states and jurisdictions are developing their own systems. However, these systems are not standardised or regulated.

Ms Gallagher believes they already have the basic infrastructure in place, but it needs to be structured and regulated to facilitate 'interoperability' and provide 'economy-wide benefits' as a national system.

She said: 'We're very committed to it.'

Will the national digital ID be mandatory in Australia?

No, it won't. According to Ms Gallagher, the system will operate voluntarily.

She emphasised that the focus is on giving citizens control over their information, enabling them to access government systems easily, securely, and efficiently—all by choice.

However, not everyone is convinced that the system is a good idea, with many worried about the security implications of such a system.

One argument set forth by critics is that having access to all your important documents in one place could expose you to more cybercrime.

Key Takeaways

• Australia is one step closer to a national digital ID card, with draft legislation for the bill released for consultation.
  • The digital ID will bring together official forms of identification onto one government-run platform.
  • More than 10.5 million Australians already use a digital ID to access government services.
  • There have been concerns raised about the security of the program.

Members, what do you think of the idea of a national digital ID? What security concerns do you have, if any? We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Please let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an era where rapid change is no secret, keeping up with evolving technology and trends can be quite daunting. While many of us embrace change as it comes, a question lingers: Is change always for the better?

Today, we're going to discuss a new bill that the Australian government is looking into introducing: the national digital ID system.

As with any new service, it's essential to understand the system and how it works. So, let's explore the details.

View attachment 30389
The new digital ID will centralise official identification documents like passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses onto a government-run platform. Credit: Shutterstock.

The new Digital ID initiative aims to centralise various official documents and forms of identification, including passports, birth certificates, and driver's licenses, onto a single government-operated platform.

This will then be the primary tool for verifying individuals' identities when interacting with government departments or third-party organisations, such as banks, real estate agencies, and insurance companies.

That means, when it comes to paperwork and administration, Aussies will soon no longer have to worry about uploading or handing over hard-copy documents to prove their identities.

Finance Minister Katy Gallagher unveiled the draft legislation for the ID bill on Tuesday, September 20, marking the beginning of consultations with the public.

'The legislation, when passed, will move Digital ID to a nationally regulated system which will be accessible across both the public and private sector and will include strong privacy protections,' she said.

Simon Bush, CEO of the Australian Information Industry Association, has welcomed the move, saying that the new digital ID will 'improve service delivery and interoperability with other departments and states'.

He said: 'The proposed legislation will provide strong regulation for accredited Digital ID providers to make sure they keep your information private and secure if you choose to create and reuse a Digital ID to access online services.'

Ms Gallagher said the final version of the contentious bill is slated for release by the end of 2023.

She is also optimistic that the system will become operational around mid-2024. When asked about the launch date, she mentioned this tentative timeline during the AFR summit, saying, 'Potentially mid-next year.'

More than 10 million Aussies are currently using myGov ID, and various states and jurisdictions are developing their own systems. However, these systems are not standardised or regulated.

Ms Gallagher believes they already have the basic infrastructure in place, but it needs to be structured and regulated to facilitate 'interoperability' and provide 'economy-wide benefits' as a national system.

Something else that’ll get hacked. Great for ageing population but not when identities & life savings get stolen.

what happens if your phone is lost............so is all your credentials I don't put mine on my phone for a reason, it may be safe government end but is my phone as safe from stealing etc? that would worry more
Do you not have to unlock your phone? Lose your wallet with your licence etc in it and its available to anyone that picks it up. If your wallet or purse has ever been stolen the cost and difficulty of proving who you are to get it all replaced is a nightmare.

View attachment 30389

It's a wait and see for me

Just another form of ID card. The same thing this government stop from previous governments doing. I don't keep any of this stuff on my phone and never will. Half the time I don't even carry phone. They can't even stop the hacker, identify theft will run rampet

View attachment 30389

Maybe I'm old school but not happy about this, especially how no one can protect my digital information safe online. All this will do is make it easier for hackers & scammers to steal & destroy my life. Have just received a warning from Pizza Hut Australia that since I have bought a pizza from them sometime in the past (over 2 yrs ago) using my card or online that this information may have been accessed by someone outside of the company.

We became aware in early September of a cyber security incident where an unauthorised third party accessed some of the company’s data. At this stage of our investigation, we have confirmed that the data impacted relates to customer record details and online order transactions held on our Pizza Hut Australia customer database. This includes information such as a customer’s name, delivery address and instructions, email address and contact number, as well as unusable masked credit card data and secure one-way encrypted password (for customers with online accounts).

What I want to know is WHY Pizza Huts and other places like this NEED to keep most of this information longer than 24hrs.

Just another form of ID card. The same thing this government stop from previous governments doing. I don't keep any of this stuff on my phone and never will. Half the time I don't even carry phone. They can't even stop the hacker, identify theft will run rampet
I’m not a yuppy, get in trouble from my daughter when she try’s to ring me. Dont carry my phone when shopping,gardening,cutting wood etc. lm a cash person as l spend only what l need and nothing more. No lD on my phone as as l leave it at home most times. Have to ring it sometimes to find where l left it.

I’m not a yuppy, get in trouble from my daughter when she try’s to ring me. Dont carry my phone when shopping,gardening,cutting wood etc. lm a cash person as l spend only what l need and nothing more. No lD on my phone as as l leave it at home most times. Have to ring it sometimes to find where l left it.
Me too 😂

Maybe I'm old school but not happy about this, especially how no one can protect my digital information safe online. All this will do is make it easier for hackers & scammers to steal & destroy my life. Have just received a warning from Pizza Hut Australia that since I have bought a pizza from them sometime in the past (over 2 yrs ago) using my card or online that this information may have been accessed by someone outside of the company.

We became aware in early September of a cyber security incident where an unauthorised third party accessed some of the company’s data. At this stage of our investigation, we have confirmed that the data impacted relates to customer record details and online order transactions held on our Pizza Hut Australia customer database. This includes information such as a customer’s name, delivery address and instructions, email address and contact number, as well as unusable masked credit card data and secure one-way encrypted password (for customers with online accounts).

What I want to know is WHY Pizza Huts and other places like this NEED to keep most of this information longer than 24hrs.
MARKETING!!!!!!

Well, I know of one person who WILL NOT get the digital ID......ME...there is an ulterior motive, believe me.
The people voted against the National ID card and yet they embrace the digital ID which is far more sinister......

Just an easier way for gov to know everything you do, apply for, receive, travel to, access for things, health access, how & what you spend, etc; etc;. Some seniors would not be able to cope with this digital ID decision. Some don't use their phones for anything but phone calls. Some do not even own a phone, laptop or computers. This decision makes it so much easier for the cyber criminal..no matter how secure the gov says it will be....easy peasy for the criminal.

View attachment 30389

Sounds like a "one stop shop" for hackers to get all your details at once.

Do you not have to unlock your phone? Lose your wallet with your licence etc in it and its available to anyone that picks it up. If your wallet or purse has ever been stolen the cost and difficulty of proving who you are to get it all replaced is a nightmare.
All I have to do is swipe the phone's screen & it is unlocked. So easy for anyone else to do if I happen to lose it somewhere. However, my bigger problem is remembering to pick it up & take it with me when I leave home. I am not permanently attached to my phone nor do I want to be. When I go out I do not want my phone ringing. It's great to get away from it. If someone wants to contact me they will ring again when I am home.

All I have to do is swipe the phone's screen & it is unlocked. So easy for anyone else to do if I happen to lose it somewhere. However, my bigger problem is remembering to pick it up & take it with me when I leave home. I am not permanently attached to my phone nor do I want to be. When I go out I do not want my phone ringing. It's great to get away from it. If someone wants to contact me they will ring again when I am home.
Can you not put a pin number in your phone for security
I'm the same as you, quite often leave my phone, hate people ringing me while I'm trying to do my shopping, etc
Yes, I do realise I can turn it off, just as easy to leave it at home. Managed to get through most of my life without having a phone on hand 24/7.

I'm the same. I'm not permanently attached to my phone. I treat it much the same as I did my landline phone. It stays in place on my side table next to my chair & only gets answered if I'm at home & within hearing distance of the ring. I will never have any personal details on my phone for hackers to access

I will keep saying it, ..
If a human wrote the program for the software (app) ... a human can hack the program (software app)

If a computer (AI) wrote the programming, a computer can hack the programming.
NOTHING IS SAFE via the internet.

At least with "HARD COPIES", .... theives had to deal with ACTUAL cameras, security, physically break in, physically carry data files out, & get passed security again, ..... then they needed to actually (read) sift through data files to get information required.

WE ARE NOT SAFE ON THE INTERNET & WE NEVER WILL BE.

All we can do, is "hope" OUR (my own) identity is not the one targeted for fraud.