Australian patients struggle as TGA identifies shortage of over 400 medications

In a development with potentially far-reaching consequences, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has revealed that over 400 medications across Australia are currently facing a severe shortage.

This alarming situation was first highlighted in April when a critical shortage of basic medicines came to light. Essential drugs like Amoxicillin syrup for bacterial infections, antidepressants, and cholesterol-lowering medications were reported to have been in dangerously short supply.

Now, the crisis has escalated to the point where even life-saving medications are running perilously low.

Consider the case of Natalie Sinclair, a Melbourne resident living with Addison's disease, who relies on a specific hormone medication to sustain her life. But when the drug Hysone ran out earlier this year, she was left panicking.

As she recalled, 'It was pretty terrifying. There was no stock and no explanation as to why there's no stock.'

Without her medication, which provides the vital hormone cortisol, Natalie's body could spiral into a 'crisis state', eventually leading to a complete shutdown and then a heart attack.

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 3.10.30 PM.png
More than 400 medications in Australia are currently in 'short supply', according to the TGA. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

This sort of thing isn't an isolated case, either. In fact, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has listed 428 drugs as 'in short supply' and 46 as 'critical', and the number of drugs expected to be in short supply has been increasing over the last few years.

But while the TGA suggests that these shortages can be easily remedied with substitutes, the public isn't convinced.

Tasmanian pharmacist Judy Lam pointed out the practicalities and safety concerns of switching drugs. She explained, 'There are problems with safety and compliance when using alternatives, and it often leaves patients and pharmacies out of pocket.'

It's also challenging for pharmacies to remain profitable when some of the drugs with a shorter shelf life have to be thrown away due to reduced demand from patients who can't afford the substitutes.

Not to mention the potential for side effects from substituting medications, which may not be completely compatible with any available alternatives.

Judi Adams, a pancreatic cancer patient, experienced similar issues, with alternative versions of her necessary medication 'breaking down in humidity' and being 'completely unpalatable'.

Michael Ryan, a pharmaceutical consultant and author of a paper on industry reform for the Australian Health Review, pointed out that most active drug ingredients are manufactured in only two countries: India and China.

As he explained, 'If there's any disruption in either of these two countries or at any of their sites, it can significantly impact the entire supply chain.'

He suggested ways in which the government can address this issue, such as issuing tenders to drug companies that can guarantee lower prices and more reliable supply, in addition to using data for more accurate demand prediction.

Ultimately, however, the responsibility lies with drug manufacturers.

The TGA has a database for reporting medicine shortages, which includes information about shortages of reportable medicines in Australia, including those resulting from product discontinuations.

To search for all shortages and discontinuations related to a particular medicine, enter the active ingredient or trade (brand) name into the search field. You can then click on the active ingredient or trade name for more information about the shortage of interest.

Feel free to visit the website and check if your medications are listed.

Key Takeaways

• Medication shortages continue to affect Australia, affecting patients who rely on these medicines to handle their illnesses.
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) reported 428 drugs in short supply and 46 drugs as 'critical' but said most can be easily substituted. However, patients and pharmacists dispute this claim.
  • Pharmaceutical consultant Michael Ryan suggested reform within the industry, including pharmacy chains and hospitals awarding tenders based on supply guarantees, not just price, and improved data sharing along the supply chain.

Members, we want to hear from you! Are you currently relying on a medication that you know is in short supply? Has this scarcity impacted your ability to get the treatment you need? Your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences are invaluable, so please join the conversation and share your insights on this topic with us below.

Sponsored
My blood pressure medicine has been unavailable for the last two months. As this medicine has two components to it, I have so far been lucky with my chemist stocking these two medicines separately. My chemist has only charged me the amount that I usually pay, not double the amount. My chemist is out of pocket. (I do not have a concession card, so pay full price.) The same thing happened during the height of covid. This will only get worse if people start getting two months of their scripts at a time! This is not a wise move!!

My blood pressure medicine has been unavailable for the last two months. As this medicine has two components to it, I have so far been lucky with my chemist stocking these two medicines separately. My chemist has only charged me the amount that I usually pay, not double the amount. My chemist is out of pocket. (I do not have a concession card, so pay full price.) The same thing happened during the height of covid. This will only get worse if people start getting two months of their scripts at a time! This is not a wise move!!
Which one are you on my husband is on the blood pressure tablet that is two in one and has no problem getting it. Have you tried other chemist?

Reactions: Ezzy
We went to get antibiotics for my granddaughter who has severe exema and was told they were out ,we went to 4 chemist over 2 suburbs before we could get it and was told the same thing that there was a shortage and they were waiting on delivery

Reactions: Ezzy
We went to get antibiotics for my granddaughter who has severe exema and was told they were out ,we went to 4 chemist over 2 suburbs before we could get it and was told the same thing that there was a shortage and they were waiting on delivery
Australia needs to start manufacturing our own needs and not be reliant on China or India we have capable people to do this the fed gov just needs to get out of the way,and let Australia do what it does best

In a development with potentially far-reaching consequences, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has revealed that over 400 medications across Australia are currently facing a severe shortage.

This alarming situation was first highlighted in April when a critical shortage of basic medicines came to light. Essential drugs like Amoxicillin syrup for bacterial infections, antidepressants, and cholesterol-lowering medications were reported to have been in dangerously short supply.

Now, the crisis has escalated to the point where even life-saving medications are running perilously low.

Consider the case of Natalie Sinclair, a Melbourne resident living with Addison's disease, who relies on a specific hormone medication to sustain her life. But when the drug Hysone ran out earlier this year, she was left panicking.

As she recalled, 'It was pretty terrifying. There was no stock and no explanation as to why there's no stock.'

Without her medication, which provides the vital hormone cortisol, Natalie's body could spiral into a 'crisis state', eventually leading to a complete shutdown and then a heart attack.

View attachment 29366
More than 400 medications in Australia are currently in 'short supply', according to the TGA. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

This sort of thing isn't an isolated case, either. In fact, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has listed 428 drugs as 'in short supply' and 46 as 'critical', and the number of drugs expected to be in short supply has been increasing over the last few years.

But while the TGA suggests that these shortages can be easily remedied with substitutes, the public isn't convinced.

Tasmanian pharmacist Judy Lam pointed out the practicalities and safety concerns of switching drugs. She explained, 'There are problems with safety and compliance when using alternatives, and it often leaves patients and pharmacies out of pocket.'

It's also challenging for pharmacies to remain profitable when some of the drugs with a shorter shelf life have to be thrown away due to reduced demand from patients who can't afford the substitutes.

Not to mention the potential for side effects from substituting medications, which may not be completely compatible with any available alternatives.

Judi Adams, a pancreatic cancer patient, experienced similar issues, with alternative versions of her necessary medication 'breaking down in humidity' and being 'completely unpalatable'.

Michael Ryan, a pharmaceutical consultant and author of a paper on industry reform for the Australian Health Review, pointed out that most active drug ingredients are manufactured in only two countries: India and China.

As he explained, 'If there's any disruption in either of these two countries or at any of their sites, it can significantly impact the entire supply chain.'

He suggested ways in which the government can address this issue, such as issuing tenders to drug companies that can guarantee lower prices and more reliable supply, in addition to using data for more accurate demand prediction.

The TGA has a database for reporting medicine shortages, which includes information about shortages of reportable medicines in Australia, including those resulting from product discontinuations.

To search for all shortages and discontinuations related to a particular medicine, enter the active ingredient or trade (brand) name into the search field. You can then click on the active ingredient or trade name for more information about the shortage of interest.

Key Takeaways

• Medication shortages continue to affect Australia, affecting patients who rely on these medicines to handle their illnesses.
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) reported 428 drugs in short supply and 46 drugs as 'critical' but said most can be easily substituted. However, patients and pharmacists dispute this claim.
  • Pharmaceutical consultant Michael Ryan suggested reform within the industry, including pharmacy chains and hospitals awarding tenders based on supply guarantees, not just price, and improved data sharing along the supply chain.

Members, we want to hear from you! Are you currently relying on a medication that you know is in short supply? Has this scarcity impacted your ability to get the treatment you need? Your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences are invaluable, so please join the conversation and share your insights on this topic with us below.
i have 3 listed.

Which one are you on my husband is on the blood pressure tablet that is two in one and has no problem getting it. Have you tried other chemist?
I take Sevikar 40mg/5mg. (Olmesartan 40mg + Amlodipine 5mg.) I don't have a lot of chemists to choose from as I live in a rural area. My closest one is 30kms away, but I could travel further if supply gets worse!

View attachment 29366

Key Takeaways

Members, we want to hear from you! Are you currently relying on a medication that you know is in short supply? Has this scarcity impacted your ability to get thuldn't cross the road to piss on them!!!treatment you need? Your thoughts, opinions, and personal experiences are invaluable, so please join the conversation and share your insights on this topic with us below.
All governments can share the blame for this debacle in allowing essential medications to be manufactured off shore. We now reap the benefits of this collective stupidity, politicians you wouldn't cross the road to piss on them!!!

Reactions: SandyM and Leenie
I agree, Australia must start making our own medicines. I thought we learned this during the pandemic. Now things just go back to how they were! How disappointing!! Could be great jobs for people and medical security for Australians too.

Reactions: SandyM and Leenie

View attachment 29366

Key Takeaways

Why are essential drugs manufactured in other countries which then have to be imported into Australia? Why can't Australian companies make them here? This would mean jobs for Australians here and no import duty among other things.

My local chemist is supplying the usual one month supply unless customers specifically ask for the two months. There are notices all around the shop so people are aware of this. I think this is a fairer way of dealing with the possibility of shortages.

Reactions: SandyM
My local chemist is supplying the usual one month supply unless customers specifically ask for the two months. There are notices all around the shop so people are aware of this. I think this is a fairer way of dealing with the possibility of shortages.
My Pharmacy instructed me to ask my G.P. if any of my medications are on the list l can get double of & get prescriptions for these, otherwise things stay as are.

Reactions: Leenie
All governments can share the blame for this debacle in allowing essential medications to be manufactured off shore. We now reap the benefits of this collective stupidity, politicians you wouldn't cross the road to piss on them!!!
"...... if they were on fire!" LOL you need to complete your sentence cos, it reads like you would piss on politicians if they were in front of you 😆😆😊

In all seriousness, with my heart medications, it does frighten me. At 52, l had 5 severe heart attacks & many, MANY nearly as painful flutters in 24 hours & even though it was 11 years ago, l'm still scared of it happening again. Heart attacks are really PAINFUL & l never want to go thru that again 😩🥺

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie