Status
Not open for further replies.

Australian grandmother, Galit Carbone, confirmed dead in Israel-Palestine conflict

Content Warning: This article contains discussions of war and death. Reader discretion is advised.

The devastating news of an Australian woman’s death amid the ongoing unrest in the Israel-Palestine region has sent ripples of shock, anger, and sorrow across the nation.

At the centre of this tragic maelstrom is an Australian grandmother, Galit Carbone, who was killed during the recent violence unfolding in the conflicted region. Ms Carbone, 66 years old and a matriarch figure in her family, is understood to have been living merely 5km from the Gaza Strip, where over 100 people tragically lost their lives.

Senator Penny Wong, Australia’s Foreign Affairs Minister, confirmed Ms Carbone’s death and took a powerful stand against the violence. Senator Wong condemned the actions to be a 'senseless act of violence’.

Senator Wong expressed her heartfelt condolences, stating, 'On behalf of the government, I wish to convey my deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of Ms Carbone. DFAT is providing consular assistance to her family in Israel and in Australia.'

‘Australia unequivocally condemns the attacks on Israel by Hamas. There is no excuse for the deliberate killing of innocent civilians,’ the senator continued.

It’s difficult not to feel a strong surge of empathy for Ms Carbone’s family. Having called Australia her birthplace, Galit raised three beautiful children and was blessed with two grandchildren. She was known in her adopted home of Israel as a librarian, nourishing minds with stories and knowledge. Our hearts go out to her grieving family and to the broader Australian-Jewish community who lost one of their own in this violent act.

Her family back in Sydney are reportedly in a 'state of numb shock' after their worst fears were confirmed late Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 12.33.24 pm.png
Sydney-born grandmother Galit Carbone (right) has been killed. Image Credit: Nine News

Ms Carbone has been remembered as 'a very much loved mum, grandma, sister and cousin'.

Ms Carbone’s cousin, Julian Cappe, told the Herald Sun, 'Over the last few days, they've just gone through all the ranges of emotion, from hearing what happened to thinking that she's been a prisoner to hearing confirmation that she was killed.’

'The idea that terrorists could walk into such a peaceful place and find an elderly, a 66-year-old lady, and other elderly people and gun them down in cold blood. It's just devastating to feel that such a thing could happen,' Mr Cappe continued.

Ms Carbone had reportedly been planning to visit Sydney.

Eye-witness reports suggest that residents were forced out of their shelters, with homes set ablaze, before the violence escalated further.

'We're not sure if she was killed in her home or dragged out and killed, but her body was not found in her house. She may have been dragged around,' Mr Cappe added.

Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil expressed her sorrow over the news, commenting, 'I'm devastated for the people who knew her, but also the broader Jewish-Australian community.'

‘We’ve got brothers and sisters of the Jewish religion around our country who are suffering greatly from what is a brutal, violent, abhorrent and completely unjustified act of terrorism against their country and their citizens.’

‘What’s happened here is a senseless act of violence that will get more violent, and the Australian government condemns it in the strongest possible terms.’

‘We’re … wrapping our arms around you, and I express my deepest condolences for what has happened here,’ she said.

With thousands of Australians living in Israel and countless more visiting the region during this turbulent period, the sense of disquiet and fear is palpable. This conflict has already claimed countless innocents—including children—in what US President Joe Biden has deemed an act of 'pure evil'.

The destruction doesn't end there. Israel has cut off food supplies and electricity in response, launching rockets at Palestine. Fears of an imminent ground offensive loom large, backed by an army of Israeli reservists and underlined by US support.

The situation has been further unnerved by Hamas’ vow to kill an Israeli hostage every time Israel launches an attack. The death toll on both sides has surpassed a horrifying thousand, with thousands more suffering injuries.

‘The loss of life from these attacks has been devastating and unacceptable,’ said Senator Wong.

Ms O’Neil said the government is working to keep Australians safe, ‘This is a brutal act of terrorism that was unprovoked and unnecessary. Australians are going to be harmed by this, and… we’re working very hard to make sure we protect Australians not just overseas but at home.’

Australia remains unwavering in its call for all parties involved to halt these attacks and initiate the unconditional release of all hostages. The gruesome reality of conflict, however, is the civilian loss, a pain our nation now shares intimately with the tragic death of Ms Carbone.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia's Foreign Minister Penny Wong has confirmed the death of Australian citizen and grandmother Galit Carbone, who was 'murdered' in Hamas' attacks in Israel.
  • The Australian government unequivocally condemns the attacks on Israel by Hamas and has called for the immediate release of hostages.
  • Thousands of Australians live in Israel, with many more believed to have been visiting when the attacks commenced.
  • There have been calls for the Australian government to organise special repatriation flights, as commercial airlines have cut or cancelled flights out of Israel.
Amidst the chaos, Australians in Israel are finding it increasingly difficult to return home, with many flights out of the country cancelled.

On Wednesday morning, an Australian man currently in Israel told ABC News, ‘I feel a bit stranded, especially when I’m seeing constant other repatriation flights coming from other countries. So it would feel a lot safer and a lot more guaranteed to have the Australian government doing those flights for all of the Australians here.’

As this turbulent situation continues to unfold, our thoughts remain with the Carbone family and with all those affected by this conflict.

Sponsored
Content Warning: This article contains discussions of war and death. Reader discretion is advised.

The devastating news of an Australian woman’s death amid the ongoing unrest in the Israel-Palestine region has sent ripples of shock, anger, and sorrow across the nation.

At the centre of this tragic maelstrom is an Australian grandmother, Galit Carbone, who was killed during the recent violence unfolding in the conflicted region. Ms Carbone, 66 years old and a matriarch figure in her family, is understood to have been living merely 5km from the Gaza Strip, where over 100 people tragically lost their lives.

Senator Penny Wong, Australia’s Foreign Affairs Minister, confirmed Ms Carbone’s death and took a powerful stand against the violence. Senator Wong condemned the actions to be a 'senseless act of violence’.

Senator Wong expressed her heartfelt condolences, stating, 'On behalf of the government, I wish to convey my deepest condolences to the family and loved ones of Ms Carbone. DFAT is providing consular assistance to her family in Israel and in Australia.'

‘Australia unequivocally condemns the attacks on Israel by Hamas. There is no excuse for the deliberate killing of innocent civilians,’ the senator continued.

It’s difficult not to feel a strong surge of empathy for Ms Carbone’s family. Having called Australia her birthplace, Galit raised three beautiful children and was blessed with two grandchildren. She was known in her adopted home of Israel as a librarian, nourishing minds with stories and knowledge. Our hearts go out to her grieving family and to the broader Australian-Jewish community who lost one of their own in this violent act.

Her family back in Sydney are reportedly in a 'state of numb shock' after their worst fears were confirmed late Tuesday.

View attachment 31900
Sydney-born grandmother Galit Carbone (right) has been killed. Image Credit: Nine News

Ms Carbone has been remembered as 'a very much loved mum, grandma, sister and cousin'.

Ms Carbone’s cousin, Julian Cappe, told the Herald Sun, 'Over the last few days, they've just gone through all the ranges of emotion, from hearing what happened to thinking that she's been a prisoner to hearing confirmation that she was killed.’

'The idea that terrorists could walk into such a peaceful place and find an elderly, a 66-year-old lady, and other elderly people and gun them down in cold blood. It's just devastating to feel that such a thing could happen,' Mr Cappe continued.

Ms Carbone had reportedly been planning to visit Sydney.

Eye-witness reports suggest that residents were forced out of their shelters, with homes set ablaze, before the violence escalated further.

'We're not sure if she was killed in her home or dragged out and killed, but her body was not found in her house. She may have been dragged around,' Mr Cappe added.

Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil expressed her sorrow over the news, commenting, 'I'm devastated for the people who knew her, but also the broader Jewish-Australian community.'

‘We’ve got brothers and sisters of the Jewish religion around our country who are suffering greatly from what is a brutal, violent, abhorrent and completely unjustified act of terrorism against their country and their citizens.’

‘What’s happened here is a senseless act of violence that will get more violent, and the Australian government condemns it in the strongest possible terms.’

‘We’re … wrapping our arms around you, and I express my deepest condolences for what has happened here,’ she said.

With thousands of Australians living in Israel and countless more visiting the region during this turbulent period, the sense of disquiet and fear is palpable. This conflict has already claimed countless innocents—including children—in what US President Joe Biden has deemed an act of 'pure evil'.

The destruction doesn't end there. Israel has cut off food supplies and electricity in response, launching rockets at Palestine. Fears of an imminent ground offensive loom large, backed by an army of Israeli reservists and underlined by US support.

The situation has been further unnerved by Hamas’ vow to kill an Israeli hostage every time Israel launches an attack. The death toll on both sides has surpassed a horrifying thousand, with thousands more suffering injuries.

‘The loss of life from these attacks has been devastating and unacceptable,’ said Senator Wong.

Ms O’Neil said the government is working to keep Australians safe, ‘This is a brutal act of terrorism that was unprovoked and unnecessary. Australians are going to be harmed by this, and… we’re working very hard to make sure we protect Australians not just overseas but at home.’

Australia remains unwavering in its call for all parties involved to halt these attacks and initiate the unconditional release of all hostages. The gruesome reality of conflict, however, is the civilian loss, a pain our nation now shares intimately with the tragic death of Ms Carbone.

Key Takeaways

• Australia's Foreign Minister Penny Wong has confirmed the death of Australian citizen and grandmother Galit Carbone, who was 'murdered' in Hamas' attacks in Israel.
  • The Australian government unequivocally condemns the attacks on Israel by Hamas and has called for the immediate release of hostages.
  • Thousands of Australians live in Israel, with many more believed to have been visiting when the attacks commenced.
  • There have been calls for the Australian government to organise special repatriation flights, as commercial airlines have cut or cancelled flights out of Israel.
Amidst the chaos, Australians in Israel are finding it increasingly difficult to return home, with many flights out of the country cancelled.

On Wednesday morning, an Australian man currently in Israel told ABC News, ‘I feel a bit stranded, especially when I’m seeing constant other repatriation flights coming from other countries. So it would feel a lot safer and a lot more guaranteed to have the Australian government doing those flights for all of the Australians here.’

As this turbulent situation continues to unfold, our thoughts remain with the Carbone family and with all those affected by this conflict.
My heart goes out to the family and everyone caught up in this horrible tragedy. Why is this happening I don’t understand any of it. “War” what is it good for absolutely nothing.😢

My condolences 🙏 to her family abd every other family who have suffered loss .

The Jewish community came together yesterday in Sydney's Dover Heights in song and prayer, very peaceful.

Where as Palestinians in Sydney have been celebrating the lives taken with fireworks and all.
They plan a rally at the Opera House on the week end where the Government told them this is not allowed but they have said it's their right.
Shouldn't they be abiding by OUR LAWS.
It's ok if they want to get together in pray and song like the Jewish community but they get together with aggressive attitudes and these people are ones who will try to incite violence in our own community.

My heart goes out to the family and everyone caught up in this horrible tragedy. Why is this happening I don’t understand any of it. “War” what is it good for absolutely nothing.😢
There has been war amongst the Israelis and Palestinians for many years but has been peaceful for maybe 30 years . And even then nothing like this. It's all to do with land . A very good history lesson if you want to research . It actually goes back to biblical times but now Moslem terrorist have become involved

Before 1948, Israel was known as Palestine and was home to a diverse population of Arabs, Jews, and Christians, as all groups had religious ties to the area, especially the city of Jerusalem. The land itself was under the control of various empires, such as the Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, and eventually the Islamic Caliphate and the Ottoman Empire.
Israel has been known by many names the earliest being Canaan .
There is so much history here.
In the beginning going back to the old testament bible Israel was a mostly Jewish and christian Country.

Moslems say it's their country but they only ruled in the area for around 400 years.
The bible mentions Israel alot whereas the Moslem Quaran doesn't mention it at all .

The bible is over 600 years older than the Moslems Quaran

Another popular understanding of Israel as the Promised Land is shown in the bible Genesis 17, where God's covenant with Abraham and his offspring is affirmed, and God promises to be the God of Abraham's offspring and gift them the land of Canaan for “a perpetual holding ( Canaan is now Israel)
As I said so much history

Last edited:
Brave Hamas freedom fighters real brave WAR CRIMINALS murdering women and children and people celerbrate and condone this even some of our politicians .They should be removed from parliament for inciting criminal activity/Let some of these go back to their country of origin and see what would happen to them Iran ans Pakistan are good examples on how they treat protests and supporters of anti government matters.The greens are some of the main offenders on taxpayer funded salary an absolute joke abusing our freedoms to support these grubs.

Brave Hamas freedom fighters real brave WAR CRIMINALS murdering women and children and people celerbrate and condone this even some of our politicians .They should be removed from parliament for inciting criminal activity/Let some of these go back to their country of origin and see what would happen to them Iran ans Pakistan are good examples on how they treat protests and supporters of anti government matters.The greens are some of the main offenders on taxpayer funded salary an absolute joke abusing our freedoms to support these grubs.
I have only seen our politicians supporting the Israelis.

I totally agree the Palestinians in Australia should not be celebrating

Before 1948, Israel was known as Palestine and was home to a diverse population of Arabs, Jews, and Christians, as all groups had religious ties to the area, especially the city of Jerusalem. The land itself was under the control of various empires, such as the Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, and eventually the Islamic Caliphate and the Ottoman Empire.
Israel has been known by many names the earliest being Canaan .
There is so much history here.
In the beginning going back to the old testament bible Israel was a mostly Jewish and christian Country.

Moslems say it's their country but they only ruled in the area for around 400 years.
The bible mentions Israel alot whereas the Moslem Quaran doesn't mention it at all .

The bible is over 600 years older than the Moslems Quaran

Another popular understanding of Israel as the Promised Land is shown in the bible Genesis 17, where God's covenant with Abraham and his offspring is affirmed, and God promises to be the God of Abraham's offspring and gift them the land of Canaan for “a perpetual holding ( Canaan is now Israel)
As I said so much history
The Jews have lived in this area for more than 5,000 years. If anyone 'owns' this land, it's the Jews.

What's happening over there currently - I heard that Hamas bombed a hospital overnight our time - is not war. It's a systematic, deliberate attempt at genocide.

I deplore the reaction of state and federal governments to the rallies by supporters of Hamas in our cities. The behaviour on display by senior leaders of the Islamic community in Sydney, was vile! What sort of human laughs about babies being beheaded? It'll be interesting to see how our police react to planned protests this weekend. They've stated that they fear for their lives, and that doesn't surprise me. Hamas supporters will go ahead with their protest, despite the NSW government declaring it illegal. Time for those in power to grow some cojones. Stamp this out now!

The Jews have lived in this area for more than 5,000 years. If anyone 'owns' this land, it's the Jews.

What's happening over there currently - I heard that Hamas bombed a hospital overnight our time - is not war. It's a systematic, deliberate attempt at genocide.

I deplore the reaction of state and federal governments to the rallies by supporters of Hamas in our cities. The behaviour on display by senior leaders of the Islamic community in Sydney, was vile! What sort of human laughs about babies being beheaded? It'll be interesting to see how our police react to planned protests this weekend. They've stated that they fear for their lives, and that doesn't surprise me. Hamas supporters will go ahead with their protest, despite the NSW government declaring it illegal. Time for those in power to grow some cojones. Stamp this out now!
Totally agree. Watch what the Moslem community do , they are not for peace they crave violence.
On Sunday at the rally in Sydney they all need to be arrested. If they were going to doing what the Jewish did last night and that is to pray and sing then it wouldn't be a problem but it won't be it will be much more violent . These same people were the ones involved in the Cronulla riots .

They need to know they are living in Australia and need to abide by our rules and if they don't like it then they need to go back to their country of origin

I live in an area close to Lakemba and know exactly how they are... no respect for Australians or other nationalities

All violence particularly against women and children is deplorable. Unfortunately Israel has kept the Palestinians in a virtual prison for years. Many Jews sympathise with them. Many polititians say the violence was unjustified, and yes it was to the extent it was taken. However, you can only keep a people locked in a country for so long under the thumb of a stronger power before something "has got to give". What a totally sad situation for all combatants, particularly the innocent of both sides.

Reactions: Rob44 and BJP46
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×