Australian Couple Slammed for Living on Centrelink Payments

For many people living off a fixed income, the rising cost of living can be an almost impossible challenge to overcome.

Many are trying to stretch their budgets in ways they never imagined, whether it be finding discounts on everyday items or cutting down on life's little luxuries.

For those who receive Centrelink benefits, the pressure to manage household finances can be even more daunting.

So, when an Australian couple recently detailed their life on Centrelink payments on ABC’s 7:30 program, anger echoed throughout the country.

Jennifer Searson and Mark Goodrick, currently living in Queensland's Sunshine Coast with their 15-year-old daughter, have experienced relentless criticism following their shared accounts of financial struggles while living primarily off Centrelink benefits.

Ms Searson is a lab technician who holds certifications in education support and business administration. She receives a carer's payment for her daughter, who has autism.

Their daughter's carer payment, according to Services Australia, amounts to a maximum basic rate of $971.50 every two weeks.

Meanwhile, Mr Goodrick, a qualified chef, works casually at a service station and earns approximately $1,300 a fortnight.

In addition to his casual work, he receives $250 from Centrelink, bringing his fortnightly salary to almost $1,600.

He admitted he prefers to work casually so he can collect Centrelink payments, sparking the fury of many who saw the couple's story.

However, the couple insists they have viable reasons for their financial choices. They claim that they are underemployed, not by choice but as a result of age discrimination and unsuccessful job hunts.

1683701016810.png
Backlash ensues as a Queensland couple with an autistic daughter discusses Centrelink living on ABC's 7.30 program. Credit: Shutterstock.

'We are poor, and we are on low income,' Mr Goodrick shared.

Meanwhile, Ms Searson said: 'There has been a proliferation of calling people on income support payments, particularly JobSeeker, dole bludgers.’

'Anyone can end up in this situation.'

Despite their plight, some viewers of their segment on ABC's 7:30 program took issue with the couple's choices, pointing out that they own two cars, their daughter appears to attend a private school, they spend around $350 a week on groceries, and they seem to have no plans to find full-time work.

One viewer wrote: 'These people are not doing it nearly as tough as many people I know. Sure, they're battlers, but many single-parent families exist, so in times of financial challenge such as this, the father could opt for the temporary sacrifice of full-time work with a long commute.’

'I saw this and I thought this family seem to be doing ok actually. Is this what welfare looks like?' another questioned.

A third chimed in: ‘There are plenty of people on JobSeeker who are in terribly desperate situations, bordering on poverty, that you could have featured in this story… This family is not in that situation. Perplexing as to why you chose them.’

'This is not genuine need. This is two people of working age making a decision to limit how much they work and seeking taxpayer funds to supplement their lifestyle choices,’ another added.

‘You don't get to refuse to work full time just because you get the difference from the public purse.’

ABC has yet to comment on the backlash.

Last year, in an opinion piece for The Guardian, the couple expressed that ‘survival is a daily challenge’.

They shared their concern that their child may be affected by the poverty they have experienced and the mentality that comes with it.

The couple went on to describe the difficulty they faced in trying to find affordable produce and bread for their daughter's school lunches.

The constant pressure of making these essential survival decisions took a toll on their mental health, making it hard to focus on job applications or present themselves positively to potential employers.

The couple also noted that they couldn't afford dental check-ups, and their physical health suffered as a result.

They refuted the idea that living on JobSeeker was a ‘lifestyle choice’ and emphasised that it only takes one unexpected circumstance to end up in their situation.

Key Takeaways
  • A couple receiving welfare payments while raising a daughter has faced criticism for detailing their struggles to stay afloat despite not working full-time in five years.
  • Many viewers took issue with the couple taking taxpayers' money when they have two cars, their daughter appears to attend a private school, and they spend about $350 a week on groceries.
  • The couple argued that income support payments should be increased for Australians.
  • The couple claims their age and their daughter's autism are factors in their difficulty finding full-time work.

The couple's story sheds light on the harsh realities of living on a low income and facing constant financial struggles.

It's important to acknowledge that many households are facing similar challenges and might be silently battling to make ends meet.

While there may be differing opinions on how to manage finances, it's crucial to remember that there are government benefits available to help those in need.

If you're experiencing financial hardship, reach out and seek support.

Remember, you're not alone in this and it's important to regularly review your budget to ensure you're making the most of your entitlements and cutting unnecessary expenses wherever possible.

Have you or anyone you know ever had to struggle with a fixed income? Tell us about it in the comments below.

Sponsored
For many people living off a fixed income, the rising cost of living can be an almost impossible challenge to overcome.

Many are trying to stretch their budgets in ways they never imagined, whether it be finding discounts on everyday items or cutting down on life's little luxuries.

For those who receive Centrelink benefits, the pressure to manage household finances can be even more daunting.

So, when an Australian couple recently detailed their life on Centrelink payments on ABC’s 7:30 program, anger echoed throughout the country.

Jennifer Searson and Mark Goodrick, currently living in Queensland's Sunshine Coast with their 15-year-old daughter, have experienced relentless criticism following their shared accounts of financial struggles while living primarily off Centrelink benefits.

Ms Searson is a lab technician who holds certifications in education support and business administration. She receives a carer's payment for her daughter, who has autism.

Their daughter's carer payment, according to Services Australia, amounts to a maximum basic rate of $971.50 every two weeks.

Meanwhile, Mr Goodrick, a qualified chef, works casually at a service station and earns approximately $1,300 a fortnight.

In addition to his casual work, he receives $250 from Centrelink, bringing his fortnightly salary to almost $1,600.

He admitted he prefers to work casually so he can collect Centrelink payments, sparking the fury of many who saw the couple's story.

However, the couple insists they have viable reasons for their financial choices. They claim that they are underemployed, not by choice but as a result of age discrimination and unsuccessful job hunts.

View attachment 19503
Backlash ensues as a Queensland couple with an autistic daughter discusses Centrelink living on ABC's 7.30 program. Credit: Shutterstock.

Meanwhile, Ms Searson said: 'There has been a proliferation of calling people on income support payments, particularly JobSeeker, dole bludgers.’

Despite their plight, some viewers of their segment on ABC's 7:30 program took issue with the couple's choices, pointing out that they own two cars, their daughter appears to attend a private school, they spend around $350 a week on groceries, and they seem to have no plans to find full-time work.

One viewer wrote: 'These people are not doing it nearly as tough as many people I know. Sure, they're battlers, but many single-parent families exist, so in times of financial challenge such as this, the father could opt for the temporary sacrifice of full-time work with a long commute.’

'I saw this and I thought this family seem to be doing ok actually. Is this what welfare looks like?' another questioned.

A third chimed in: ‘There are plenty of people on JobSeeker who are in terribly desperate situations, bordering on poverty, that you could have featured in this story… This family is not in that situation. Perplexing as to why you chose them.’

'This is not genuine need. This is two people of working age making a decision to limit how much they work and seeking taxpayer funds to supplement their lifestyle choices,’ another added.

‘You don't get to refuse to work full time just because you get the difference from the public purse.’

Last year, in an opinion piece for The Guardian, the couple expressed that ‘survival is a daily challenge’.

They shared their concern that their child may be affected by the poverty they have experienced and the mentality that comes with it.

The couple went on to describe the difficulty they faced in trying to find affordable produce and bread for their daughter's school lunches.

The constant pressure of making these essential survival decisions took a toll on their mental health, making it hard to focus on job applications or present themselves positively to potential employers.

The couple also noted that they couldn't afford dental check-ups, and their physical health suffered as a result.

They refuted the idea that living on JobSeeker was a ‘lifestyle choice’ and emphasised that it only takes one unexpected circumstance to end up in their situation.

Key Takeaways

• A couple receiving welfare payments while raising a daughter has faced criticism for detailing their struggles to stay afloat despite not working full-time in five years.
  • Many viewers took issue with the couple taking taxpayers' money when they have two cars, their daughter appears to attend a private school, and they spend about $350 a week on groceries.
  • The couple argued that income support payments should be increased for Australians.
  • The couple claims their age and their daughter's autism are factors in their difficulty finding full-time work.

The couple's story sheds light on the harsh realities of living on a low income and facing constant financial struggles.

It's important to acknowledge that many households are facing similar challenges and might be silently battling to make ends meet.

While there may be differing opinions on how to manage finances, it's crucial to remember that there are government benefits available to help those in need.

Remember, you're not alone in this and it's important to regularly review your budget to ensure you're making the most of your entitlements and cutting unnecessary expenses wherever possible.

Have you or anyone you know ever had to struggle with a fixed income? Tell us about it in the comments below.

I am appalled that people who are quite capable of working a full time job opt for a part-time job to be able to still collect welfare payments !!
When businesses are screaming out for full time staff and people get away with this is just not right.
Many years ago when there were no handouts for parents, apart from a very small child endowment payment, as parents of 3 children, we both needed to work full time to feed and educate our kids and make ends meet. Too easy for people these days to not have to work. The Government should be looking after people who genuinely need help.

If she gets the maximum basic rate for carer payment, than she also gets all supplements plus the carer allowance that is almost $1300 a fortnight taxfree. He gets another $250 taxfree plus parttime $1300. there is still other payments in relation to the child to be addet. Why do you want to work fulltime and look after a family without any extras.

$1600 a fortnight is almost exactly what our pension is for the two of us. We can manage very well on that amount, but we own our home outright. If they pay rent or have a mortgage then yes, that must be very difficult for a family. However, it does sound as if one or both of them could be working full time.

Many, many years ago in the 1960's when my 2 children were aged under 10, (I was actually a "deserted wife") I was living on $28 p.f. and $2 per month endowment. Thank God I lived with father and didn't have to pay rent. I took on cleaning other people's homes so I could take the kids with me in school holidays.

The Child Welfare Dept. used to come and inspect our flat and I was allocated a package of underwear and material every so often. But I never owned a sewing machine so my Dad bought me an old Singer treadle machine to make clothes for my girls. At one stage I had 4 different cleaning jobs and I earned $1 per hour.. Then I saw an ad in the local paper "Free Training for Widows". I rang the State Government phone number and soon I was settled into a 12 month secretarial course (doing without my small cleaning income).

I worked for the next 30 years and achieved the positions of Secretary to two Company Secretarys as well as Secretary to a C.E.O for 7 years. My last position was working for a trade union for 18 years. I never ever told my former bosses I used to be a "Char Lady" cleaning other people's homes. I look back now and realise what a gift I received - if I hadn't applied for training and been accepted then I would have been a single, poverty- stricken Mom forever. The bottom line is motivation which is essential to better one's life. I was one of the very first women in the early 1980's to get a mortgage and build my own home. Nowadays, people 'play' the system to get more benefits when they could work more and help fill all the job vacancies. I might also add I recently received a gold medal called the Kellion Award (for survival) which I received for having lived with Type 1 Diabetes for 60 years.

This family disgusts me! They need to get off their lazy backsides and get proper jobs, NOT wrought the Government system. This family doesn't know what tough is! After my husband passed away recently Centrelink took me off the Carer's Pension and I have been waiting since March for them to reinstate me to the Aged Pension which equals no income and I have, like many others, been really struggling. This particular family you refer are NOT struggling, don't know what tough is, and it's a disgrace.

View attachment 19503

Key Takeaways

Heaven forbid this family actually has to live on the pension on it's own. They are really well off in my opinion. I get no extras only what the pension offers me and for that I am thankful. That couple don't know hardship.

My blood is boiling, just reading this story about dole bludgers! My daughter is married, and has 2 children. She also has Multiple Sclerosis, but manages to work at a real job! The government makes it too easy for some people. Tragic that their “situation “ stresses them out so much, they can’t work! I am fuming mad that they get away with it. They know how to work the system, and will never change. Gezabel.

Know the feeling well. I had 4 children under 4. Left my husband because of abuse. Had to be separated 6 months before the government gave me $36 p.f. and got $8.25 p.m. endowment. Went picking strawberries during school hours. I managed to get a job in a private school and got my kids into it. They all have good jobs now. Me? I enjoy holidays.
Many, many years ago in the 1960's when my 2 children were aged under 10, (I was actually a "deserted wife") I was living on $28 p.f. and $2 per month endowment. Thank God I lived with father and didn't have to pay rent. I took on cleaning other people's homes so I could take the kids with me in school holidays.

The Child Welfare Dept. used to come and inspect our flat and I was allocated a package of underwear and material every so often. But I never owned a sewing machine so my Dad bought me an old Singer treadle machine to make clothes for my girls. At one stage I had 4 different cleaning jobs and I earned $1 per hour.. Then I saw an ad in the local paper "Free Training for Widows". I rang the State Government phone number and soon I was settled into a 12 month secretarial course (doing without my small cleaning income).

I worked for the next 30 years and achieved the positions of Secretary to two Company Secretarys as well as Secretary to a C.E.O for 7 years. My last position was working for a trade union for 18 years. I never ever told my former bosses I used to be a "Char Lady" cleaning other people's homes. I look back now and realise what a gift I received - if I hadn't applied for training and been accepted then I would have been a single, poverty- stricken Mom forever. The bottom line is motivation which is essential to better one's life. I was one of the very first women in the early 1980's to get a mortgage and build my own home. Nowadays, people 'play' the system to get more benefits when they could work more and help fill all the job vacancies. I might also add I recently received a gold medal called the Kellion Award (for survival) which I received for having lived with Type 1 Diabetes for 60 years.

I don’t like people that abuse the system either. But as I’ve got older and have more health issues I’ve seen a different side. I cannot retire till I’m 67. Jobseeker requires me to work 15 hours minimum a week with sore hips and knees. A lot of jobs require standing or sitting most of the time. Employers aren’t going to give you a half hour off to put your feet up. So I’ve had to have medical leave and rely on Centrelink payments a lot. It would be a fairer system if f one could go on the pension younger if they have health issues. Having to work when you’re in pain is really hard.
From Judy HB

This couple should be taken off "Life Support" and made to work full-time. They do not know what it is like to survive on a pension or the like. A couple of hundred dollars a week to live on is nowhere near their wages and they claim they or poor. Get a Fulltime JOB and stop bludging on the people and Government.

Well done you are what I call a fighter never ever give up

They also get $Free car registration. They get payment towards council rates, payment towards water rates, electricity and gas. They also get Pension chemist, carer's discount rates for public transport, plus daughter gets $bonuses for house repairs. That's just naming a few of the extra benefits of why these two do not want to work full-time.

View attachment 19503

Key Takeaways

REALLY these people are not doing it hard they choose to use the system 🙄 ,I have no time for these unaustralian budgets. What say you

View attachment 19503

Key Takeaways

There is a further article today in the Daily Mail newspaper on Facebook. I find these people to be the reason that the dole is so often used by the wrong people and the real battlers are being cheated. The Federal Government seems to just hand out funds without any checks or reasons for inability to work (documented) before the dole is handed out to people who could be employed but prefer to take money for nothing. This is fraud. As a pensioner on a fixed income, I am grateful for a pension after many years of working as a Registered Nurse. With the current shortage of staff in Hospitals - The Work for the Dole program must be used to stop these handouts for the right people who really need them. I am so proud of the people with disability (verified) who are out there every day working and happy with their life.

This family disgusts me! They need to get off their lazy backsides and get proper jobs, NOT wrought the Government system. This family doesn't know what tough is! After my husband passed away recently Centrelink took me off the Carer's Pension and I have been waiting since March for them to reinstate me to the Aged Pension which equals no income and I have, like many others, been really struggling. This particular family you refer are NOT struggling, don't know what tough is, and it's a disgrace.
more than a disgrace !!