Australian couple’s date night gets scrutinised by Americans, Aussies quickly defend the couple — "As an Aussie, I say that it's 100 per cent normal"

It's no secret that we Aussies are a relatively laid-back bunch. We're known for our easy-going attitude and love of a good time. So it should come as no surprise that an Australian couple would take a trip to the supermarket on 'date night' without wearing any shoes.

Kate McElligott and her boyfriend Harry recently shared a video on TikTok showcasing how they prepare for a night in by playing 'scissors, paper, rock'.

The couple can be seen laughing and joking as they walk around the store barefoot, much to the amusement of their American fanbase.

Credit: TikTok/@katemargs

American TikTok users nitpicked on why the couple are not wearing any footwear, with many admitting that they are shocked and "disgusted" by the sight.

One user asked: "Wait so why is your boyfriend not wearing shoes?"

"Can we talk about the fact he has no shoes on," another pointed out.

While the video was met with criticisms from non-Aussie users, Australians were quick to defend the couple.

One person wrote: "As a fellow Aussie I say that it's 100 per cent normal to go without shoes. I don't know what everyone else is on about."

"Too many non Aussies about the shoes. What are all the 7ft spiders going to bite if you cover your feet up?" another sarcastically asked.

lBRMmrdfAXNXPWdWuOv3Ydiqnc_Qam3dVfYzno_wb9mOG6cm4gJ49WBOu1G18ICN_xPgZNnHM-e9H2Fbcx4EbLlO3Xc_5HSqWS-p24CfqhYbQchfCkB8F-7LLHgYuPGr9fJZbz42RceyX4Wm
RdWGnkBawyeD3So51tzB8rWFfSgH-iapTa3GCf-g0dFCHo6u8XfVHd98k9ac3Pp6_ik6QffdeaUTodUjeTkvn9nqenLERW1xWQm3QBI_fJwO8eJslPLhWAmeTb0hwQE9dItlPSpZ-PT9wKnV

A number of American TikTok users called out the Aussie couple for not wearing shoes inside the grocery store. Credit: TikTok/@katemargs.

Kate also replied to the demeaning comments, saying: "I have a feeling that this video isn't reaching Australians cause I'd say this is standard??? Is my life a lie???"

"Okay so to explain it's pretty standard to not wear shoes to places in Australia. It was night and we were too lazy to put shoes on."

It's always heartwarming to see young love blossom, and this Australian couple's creative date night is no exception. While some Americans might find their choice of footwear (or lack thereof) for a trip to the supermarket a bit odd, we think it's just another example of the Aussies' laid-back attitude.

How about you? Have you experienced walking barefoot in stores with your romantic partner, or do you think it's a bit of a no-no? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I have seen people shopping in their pj's and slippers, wet bathers towel wrapped and with no shoes. It would seem it's ok these days and anything goes. I don't know why the Americans find this so odd, I've seen photos (plenty online) of shoppers in places like Walmart and some of them are really weird!!;):rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
As a young girl and teenager I recall rarely wearing shoes, basically because we lived near the beach and we young ones never wore shoes.
I must admit I never wear shoes around the house in the summer, it’s different when I go out shopping. I see nothing wrong with it, I do find it strange for adults to go shopping in their pyjamas and slippers or oodies and slippers no pj pants.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Americans!! Criticising Australians for not wearing shoes!! 🤣🤣🤣 have they not seen the photos on Facebook of the Americans shopping in Walmart???!!!.... barely wearing clothes... I even saw one in disposable underware!! When I went on holidays, I had to go to Walmart... yep... no sooner had I walked in . ...a guy with boobs, dress, beard, bald head!!... a girl with huge boobs almost falling out of a skimpy top... and some smelly guy in something unidentifiable..... Americans can't criticise anyone!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Australian couple’s date night gets scrutinised by Americans, Aussies quickly defend the couple — "As an Aussie, I say that it's 100 per cent normal"

It's no secret that we Aussies are a relatively laid-back bunch. We're known for our easy-going attitude and love of a good time. So it should come as no surprise that an Australian couple would take a trip to the supermarket on 'date night' without wearing any shoes.

Kate McElligott and her boyfriend Harry recently shared a video on TikTok showcasing how they prepare for a night in by playing 'scissors, paper, rock'.

The couple can be seen laughing and joking as they walk around the store barefoot, much to the amusement of their American fanbase.

American TikTok users nitpicked on why the couple are not wearing any footwear, with many admitting that they are shocked and "disgusted" by the sight.

While the video was met with criticisms from non-Aussie users, Australians were quick to defend the couple.

One person wrote: "As a fellow Aussie I say that it's 100 per cent normal to go without shoes. I don't know what everyone else is on about."

"Too many non Aussies about the shoes. What are all the 7ft spiders going to bite if you cover your feet up?" another sarcastically asked.

lBRMmrdfAXNXPWdWuOv3Ydiqnc_Qam3dVfYzno_wb9mOG6cm4gJ49WBOu1G18ICN_xPgZNnHM-e9H2Fbcx4EbLlO3Xc_5HSqWS-p24CfqhYbQchfCkB8F-7LLHgYuPGr9fJZbz42RceyX4Wm
RdWGnkBawyeD3So51tzB8rWFfSgH-iapTa3GCf-g0dFCHo6u8XfVHd98k9ac3Pp6_ik6QffdeaUTodUjeTkvn9nqenLERW1xWQm3QBI_fJwO8eJslPLhWAmeTb0hwQE9dItlPSpZ-PT9wKnV

A number of American TikTok users called out the Aussie couple for not wearing shoes inside the grocery store. Credit: TikTok/@katemargs.

Kate also replied to the demeaning comments, saying: "I have a feeling that this video isn't reaching Australians cause I'd say this is standard??? Is my life a lie???"

"Okay so to explain it's pretty standard to not wear shoes to places in Australia. It was night and we were too lazy to put shoes on."

It's always heartwarming to see young love blossom, and this Australian couple's creative date night is no exception. While some Americans might find their choice of footwear (or lack thereof) for a trip to the supermarket a bit odd, we think it's just another example of the Aussies' laid-back attitude.

How about you? Have you experienced walking barefoot in stores with your romantic partner, or do you think it's a bit of a no-no? Share your stories with us in the comments below

I have seen people shopping in their pj's and slippers, wet bathers towel wrapped and with no shoes. It would seem it's ok these days and anything goes. I don't know why the Americans find this so odd, I've seen photos (plenty online) of shoppers in places like Walmart and some of them are really weird!!;):rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Quite right some American shoppers wear their PJ's and worse to the shops and they criticise us! My only caution would be watch out for creepy crawlies etc and maybe slip on the thongs/flip flops.

How about you? Have you experienced walking barefoot in stores with your romantic partner, or do you think it's a bit of a no-no? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Whilst Aussies like to express their "freedom" in public, they would be the first to complain if they trod on something or something fell on their feet and they were injured.

There is a legal obligation (WHS) in Australia for every business and public area authority to provide a safe environment for those entering the area, such as shops.

If the customers choose not to wear proper footwear, then any injury they sustain, within reason, is thelr fault alone. But it will be the proprietor who will have to "clean up the mess", should an incident or accident occur.

Might be time for these "free spirited" individuals to think outside themselves for once, at least in controlled environments for which others have responsibility.

As a young girl and teenager I recall rarely wearing shoes, basically because we lived near the beach and we young ones never wore shoes.
I must admit I never wear shoes around the house in the summer, it’s different when I go out shopping. I see nothing wrong with it, I do find it strange for adults to go shopping in their pajamas and slippers or goodies and slippers no pj pants.
I never wore shoes when I was young, I'd head out to school, hide my shoes under a bush out front and went bare foot. Mum would say to my siblings, why can;t you wear you shoes like he does hardly any scuff marks :) . I still walk bare foot now were ever I can, it feel wonderful :). shoes can be dirty take a look at the bottom of your shoes. What I do dislike is other telling me what I should do or wear as this is what they like/dislike, who really care s? Its just your opinion like this is mine, right or wrong its just an opinion, like ar*soles every body has one :) :)

Nothing wrong about going barefoot. It’s an Australian thing. Being 72 I wear thongs now but my adult kids still go barefoot occasionally.

It is absolutely NOT standard to go to the shops without shoes. You see it now and then, but it’s disrespectful and disgusting.
Totally agree!! I live on the coast & we are constantly having to put up with seeing people ‘half-dressed’ in swimmers, men with just board shorts on & no shirts, bare feet….yuck!! Imagine the horror those same individuals would probably express if we came into one of their stores in the city dressed like that, it’s both disrespectful & inappropriate!! Many of them don’t care because their attitude is they’re paying to be here on their holidays & we owe them the privilege !!

Totally agree!! I live on the coast & we are constantly having to put up with seeing people ‘half-dressed’ in swimmers, men with just board shorts on & no shirts, bare feet….yuck!! Imagine the horror those same individuals would probably express if we came into one of their stores in the city dressed like that, it’s both disrespectful & inappropriate!! Many of them don’t care because their attitude is they’re paying to be here on their holidays & we owe them the privilege !!
To whom is it disrespectful?
It is absolutely NOT standard to go to the shops without shoes. You see it now and then, but it’s disrespectful and disgusting.
Sorry but I can not understand why its "Disrespectful" to whom? To you?, "Disgusting" .. again To whom?? I So you or some of you set the standards then. Am amazed that some people decide that they are the dress standard police.