Australia tightens drinking water guidelines amid ‘forever chemicals’ contamination concerns

The safety of our drinking water is something we often take for granted, especially in a country like Australia, where we pride ourselves on our clean environment and high standards of living.

However, recent concerns over the presence of potentially cancer-causing chemicals in our water supply have prompted a significant overhaul of national drinking water guidelines.

This move has sparked a mixture of relief and apprehension among Australians, particularly those over 60 who are more vulnerable to health risks.

The chemicals in question are known as PFAS (per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances), a group of over 15,000 synthetic compounds that have been widely used for their resistance to heat, stains, grease, and water.

These ‘forever chemicals’ have earned their nickname due to their persistence in the environment and the human body, where they do not readily break down.

The widespread use of PFAS, ranging from firefighting foams to non-stick cookware, has led to their detection in water sources, raising alarms about the potential health impacts.

compressed-shutterstock_2490434707.jpeg
Australia's national drinking water guidelines are being tightened due to concerns over potential cancer-causing PFAS chemicals. Credit: Shutterstock

In response to these concerns, the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has released draft benchmarks that tighten the guidelines for PFAS levels in drinking water.

These ‘very conservative’ proposed guidelines are based on emerging science that highlights the health risks associated with PFAS exposure, including cancer.

While Australian experts and the water industry have welcomed the new benchmarks, there has been some criticism that the NHMRC's guidelines are not as stringent as the near-zero levels recently set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Water quality expert and Head of the University of Sydney School of Civil Engineering Stuart Khan assured Australians that the national guidelines for drinking water safety are based on the latest and most rigorous scientific research.

However, he cautioned that upgrading treatment plants to comply with these stricter standards will result in higher costs for consumers.

‘In some cases, advanced water treatment processes may be needed, and the cost of these advances will necessarily flow through to customer bills,’ he stated.

‘Drinking water cost increases will hit smaller regional communities hardest.’

Adam Lovell, Executive Director of the Water Services Association of Australia, has expressed support for the scientific process behind the guideline revisions.

‘For most of us, drinking water is sourced from well-protected, often pristine catchments, or it goes through multiple barrier treatment processes,’ he explained.

The proposed Australian guidelines would reduce the acceptable level of PFOA group PFAS chemicals from 560 to 200 nanograms per litre based on their cancer-causing effects.

Similarly, the PFOS guidelines would drop from 70 to four nanograms per litre due to concerns about bone marrow impacts. New guidelines are also being set for other PFAS compounds over thyroid issues.

To put this into perspective, one nanogram is roughly equivalent to one drop in 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

The research council stated that each level is determined based on the risks associated with lifetime exposure.

‘It's not about the concentration that is toxic right now, but you need to be drinking above these levels for your entire life to have what we regard at the moment, as toxic effects,’ NHMRC's Chief Executive, Steve Wesselingh emphasised.

The new guidelines were developed from animal studies because the council's water-quality advisory committee determined that there were no adequate, high-quality human studies available.

Advisory committee member David Cunliffe explained that the US Environmental Protection Agency adopted near-zero standards in April, placing greater emphasis on human studies and legal distinctions.

‘Our guidelines are very conservative,’ he pointed out. ‘We always err on the side of caution.’

The standards should not be viewed as a pass-fail measure but as a prompt for water authorities to investigate possible contamination sources. They are expected to be finalised in April following the start of public consultation on Monday, October 28.

As concerns over ‘forever chemicals’ in Australia's drinking water continue to grow, recent developments have brought this issue to the forefront.

The national guidelines for drinking water safety have been scrutinised for their reliance on the latest scientific research, with experts highlighting the need for costly upgrades to treatment plants.

In a related incident, a significant Australian water source has been shut down due to the threat posed by these persistent contaminants.

This alarming situation underscores the urgent need for comprehensive measures to ensure the safety and quality of our water supply, particularly for vulnerable populations such as seniors.
Key Takeaways

• National drinking water guidelines in Australia are set to be tightened due to concerns over potential cancer-causing chemicals, specifically PFAS.
  • Draft benchmarks for PFAS levels in water have been released and are the subject of public consultation, with expert endorsement, despite not reaching the near-zero levels set in the US.
  • The implementation of lower acceptable PFAS levels in water may lead to increased costs for water treatment, which could particularly impact smaller regional communities.
  • If adopted, the new guidelines will lower the acceptable amount of PFOA chemicals from 560 to 200 nanograms per litre, and PFOS will drop from 70 to four nanograms per litre based on various health effects.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts and experiences regarding the quality of their drinking water. Have you noticed any changes in your water supply, or do you have concerns about the presence of PFAS chemicals? Let us know in the comments below, and let's keep the conversation going about the safety of our essential resources.

Sponsored
I’ll be in Perth soon so it will be bottled water for me. I can’t even stand the smell. Maybe I’ll send the government a bill for the expense of buying water for my 6 week stay.
I live in Perth and I drink 6 or 7 glasses of water a day, with no ill affects. I would'nt dream of paying for bottled water when the tap water is perfectly good, I have better things to spend my money on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iggydi
I live in Perth and I drink 6 or 7 glasses of water a day, with no ill affects. I would dream of paying for bottled water when the tap water is perfectly good, I have better things to spend my money on.
Bottled water most likely comes from the tap anyway!

I collect my rain water , keep it in a glass jar for at least 6 hours in a bright sunlight, then use Brita filter. Sunlight is said to disinfect water in the most natural and harmless way.

Reactions: Iggydi and PattiB
I live in Perth and I drink 6 or 7 glasses of water a day, with no ill affects. I would'nt dream of paying for bottled water when the tap water is perfectly good, I have better things to spend my money on.
Perth tap water causes my severe stomach aches & my friend who grew up & lived in Perth for 60 years told me that she always had tummy troubles caused by the water. I won’t even use it to wash vegetables etc.

• Wow
who the hell drinks from their cistern? we have a water system. no to bottles unless it is necessary.
The point I was trying to make is that same water that feeds the toilet cistern is the same water coming out of any tap elsewhere on the property that you may be drinking from. Good luck with that if you don't have a filter!

• Wow
I’ll be in Perth soon so it will be bottled water for me. I can’t even stand the smell. Maybe I’ll send the government a bill for the expense of buying water for my 6 week stay.
I have been living in Perth for just over 6 months now and there is the emergence of a rudimentary arm growing out of my chest.

It's a little worrying....

Perth tap water causes my severe stomach aches & my friend who grew up & lived in Perth for 60 years told me that she always had tummy troubles caused by the water. I won’t even use it to wash vegetables etc.
I've lived here over 30 years and never had a problem. We had our water tested a few months ago and they said that it's good . Maybe it depends on the area you live in.

Why bother buying water, a great waste of money, when you can get plenty from the tap, I boil my water then fill up a bottle, done it for years.
Boiling doesn't remove the soluble chemicals, only kills the pathogens if aare present in your water. But I am pretty sure the chlorine and chloromin have already done their job long before they reach your tap!

I never drink water without boiling it first (I boil a full jug of water before going to bed so I have all the water I need for the next day). Water in bottles is also cancer causing from chemicals that leach from the plastic and apart from that it's an expense I don't need. Let's not forget the chem trail planes that are a constant in our skies - those chemicals would also find their way into our water.

I have been living in Perth for just over 6 months now and there is the emergence of a rudimentary arm growing out of my chest.

It's a little worrying....
Veggiepatch that reminds me of one of our earlier visits to Perth when we went on a few tours to see the area. During one trip we were all chatting about where we lived & one man, on hearing we were Tasmanian, approached us & asked,“you all have 2 heads down there don’t you?” I replied “only some, and see the scars on my husband’s forehead?, that’s where his was removed. He even needed a skin graft.” The poor chap was speechless. Ted approached him later & explained that the scars were from removal of an aggressive BCC which required a skin graft. I doubt whether that particular WA local has ever tried that joke on another Tasmanian. I’m laughing just remembering the look on his face & Ted nodding his head & trying to be serious.

Veggiepatch that reminds me of one of our earlier visits to Perth when we went on a few tours to see the area. During one trip we were all chatting about where we lived & one man, on hearing we were Tasmanian, approached us & asked,“you all have 2 heads down there don’t you?” I replied “only some, and see the scars on my husband’s forehead?, that’s where his was removed. He even needed a skin graft.” The poor chap was speechless. Ted approached him later & explained that the scars were from removal of an aggressive BCC which required a skin graft. I doubt whether that particular WA local has ever tried that joke on another Tasmanian. I’m laughing just remembering the look on his face & Ted nodding his head & trying to be serious.
That is hilarious!!!

Mum was Tassie born and bred which makes me a half caste Tasmanian!

• Haha
Ffirstly how do these particles get into our water, is it environmental or by man.
Surely to add a filtration system to the pumping stations costs wouldn't be that bad when you look the amount of users (also give these council CEOS a pay cut to help).
Yes, probably just another excuse to extract money from the masses to fund CEOs or head honchos

Hello. This does not surprise me at all. Taking in to consideration those who make the system and establisment in australia do not take seriously the quality of the environment we live in. To me tap water always tastes bad and feels heavy on my digestive system. I had to buy a six stages reverse osmosis water filter. It makes a difference. Many years ago i was diagnose with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity). I have to stay away from any food with additives etc...including water. Anyway this is my view on the quality not just the water we drink, the quality of air we all breath. Have a good day all. Yvan , in Sydney

• Sad