Australia tightens drinking water guidelines amid ‘forever chemicals’ contamination concerns

The safety of our drinking water is something we often take for granted, especially in a country like Australia, where we pride ourselves on our clean environment and high standards of living.

However, recent concerns over the presence of potentially cancer-causing chemicals in our water supply have prompted a significant overhaul of national drinking water guidelines.

This move has sparked a mixture of relief and apprehension among Australians, particularly those over 60 who are more vulnerable to health risks.

The chemicals in question are known as PFAS (per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances), a group of over 15,000 synthetic compounds that have been widely used for their resistance to heat, stains, grease, and water.

These ‘forever chemicals’ have earned their nickname due to their persistence in the environment and the human body, where they do not readily break down.

The widespread use of PFAS, ranging from firefighting foams to non-stick cookware, has led to their detection in water sources, raising alarms about the potential health impacts.

compressed-shutterstock_2490434707.jpeg
Australia's national drinking water guidelines are being tightened due to concerns over potential cancer-causing PFAS chemicals. Credit: Shutterstock

In response to these concerns, the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has released draft benchmarks that tighten the guidelines for PFAS levels in drinking water.

These ‘very conservative’ proposed guidelines are based on emerging science that highlights the health risks associated with PFAS exposure, including cancer.

While Australian experts and the water industry have welcomed the new benchmarks, there has been some criticism that the NHMRC's guidelines are not as stringent as the near-zero levels recently set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Water quality expert and Head of the University of Sydney School of Civil Engineering Stuart Khan assured Australians that the national guidelines for drinking water safety are based on the latest and most rigorous scientific research.

However, he cautioned that upgrading treatment plants to comply with these stricter standards will result in higher costs for consumers.

‘In some cases, advanced water treatment processes may be needed, and the cost of these advances will necessarily flow through to customer bills,’ he stated.

‘Drinking water cost increases will hit smaller regional communities hardest.’

Adam Lovell, Executive Director of the Water Services Association of Australia, has expressed support for the scientific process behind the guideline revisions.

‘For most of us, drinking water is sourced from well-protected, often pristine catchments, or it goes through multiple barrier treatment processes,’ he explained.

The proposed Australian guidelines would reduce the acceptable level of PFOA group PFAS chemicals from 560 to 200 nanograms per litre based on their cancer-causing effects.

Similarly, the PFOS guidelines would drop from 70 to four nanograms per litre due to concerns about bone marrow impacts. New guidelines are also being set for other PFAS compounds over thyroid issues.

To put this into perspective, one nanogram is roughly equivalent to one drop in 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

The research council stated that each level is determined based on the risks associated with lifetime exposure.

‘It's not about the concentration that is toxic right now, but you need to be drinking above these levels for your entire life to have what we regard at the moment, as toxic effects,’ NHMRC's Chief Executive, Steve Wesselingh emphasised.

The new guidelines were developed from animal studies because the council's water-quality advisory committee determined that there were no adequate, high-quality human studies available.

Advisory committee member David Cunliffe explained that the US Environmental Protection Agency adopted near-zero standards in April, placing greater emphasis on human studies and legal distinctions.

‘Our guidelines are very conservative,’ he pointed out. ‘We always err on the side of caution.’

The standards should not be viewed as a pass-fail measure but as a prompt for water authorities to investigate possible contamination sources. They are expected to be finalised in April following the start of public consultation on Monday, October 28.

As concerns over ‘forever chemicals’ in Australia's drinking water continue to grow, recent developments have brought this issue to the forefront.

The national guidelines for drinking water safety have been scrutinised for their reliance on the latest scientific research, with experts highlighting the need for costly upgrades to treatment plants.

In a related incident, a significant Australian water source has been shut down due to the threat posed by these persistent contaminants.

This alarming situation underscores the urgent need for comprehensive measures to ensure the safety and quality of our water supply, particularly for vulnerable populations such as seniors.
Key Takeaways

• National drinking water guidelines in Australia are set to be tightened due to concerns over potential cancer-causing chemicals, specifically PFAS.
  • Draft benchmarks for PFAS levels in water have been released and are the subject of public consultation, with expert endorsement, despite not reaching the near-zero levels set in the US.
  • The implementation of lower acceptable PFAS levels in water may lead to increased costs for water treatment, which could particularly impact smaller regional communities.
  • If adopted, the new guidelines will lower the acceptable amount of PFOA chemicals from 560 to 200 nanograms per litre, and PFOS will drop from 70 to four nanograms per litre based on various health effects.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts and experiences regarding the quality of their drinking water. Have you noticed any changes in your water supply, or do you have concerns about the presence of PFAS chemicals? Let us know in the comments below, and let's keep the conversation going about the safety of our essential resources.

Sponsored
Prior to filtration, in SA some areas people only got brown smelly water. It was coming out of the tap smelly People were leaving windows open to get rid of the smell as it was so strong it was sickening. A lot put in large rainwater tanks for drinking water. We put separate tap in the laundry and filled our washing machine with rainwater. The SA Govt actually gave some of the contract to a company in Sydney. We actually know one of the guys.

Prior to filtration, in SA some areas people only got brown smelly water. It was coming out of the tap smelly People were leaving windows open to get rid of the smell as it was so strong it was sickening. A lot put in large rainwater tanks for drinking water. We put separate tap in the laundry and filled our washing machine with rainwater. The SA Govt actually gave some of the contract to a company in Sydney. We actually know one of the guys.
Many many years ago there were 2 ports that ships would not take on water. 1 was South Australia and the other India.

The government of WA has approved a long lease, currently in its 15th year to clean away to have a tip that takes anything on a fault line above 3 aquifers
But it’s ok as they’ve put liners down yep they’ll last the lifetime of the water. Sadly they keep getting approved to go higher
Oh it’s the gateway to the Ferguson Valley wine area.
So we will have nuclear on one side of the valley and a huge dump on the other
Another out of sight out of mind government attack

Gosh l must be on the way out in the past week l have read the water l drink and that is a fair few glasses a day and the reflux tablet l take each night due to a lung condition is killing me. Oh well something has to get me. 🤣🤣
Take care all.
Kind regards Vicki

I wonder if this includes fluoride given over the years there has been very little evidence supporting the use of fluoride? Research studies have shown there is currently not enough evidence to suggest using fluoride enhanced toothpastes and mouthwashes or undergoing fluoride treatment is beneficial. Too much fluoride can lead to dental fluorosis or skeletal fluorosis, which can damage bones and joints.

But how much is too much? A lifetime's worth?

‘It's not about the concentration that is toxic right now, but you need to be drinking above these levels for your entire life to have what we regard at the moment, as toxic effects,’ NHMRC's Chief Executive, Steve Wesselingh emphasised.

This comment is the whole crux of the issue.

Having an avid interest in toxicology for over 35 years, I know where to source verifiable information on subjects like this, not some internet blog. But I digress.

As far as PFAS and cancer is concerned, the US Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the US National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) ave determined there is no EVIDENCE or limited or suggestive EVIDENCE that PFAS causes testicular and kidney cancer.

There is no evidence that PFAS cause breast cancer or is cumulative in the human body due to its relatively short half life in most cases.

Reference: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/resources/pfas-information-for-clinicians.html#:~:text=Blood levels of these shorter,have relatively short half-lives.&text=PFNA: 0.411 ng/mL,,population ≤1.40 ng/mL.

This comment is the whole crux of the issue.

Having an avid interest in toxicology for over 35 years, I know where to source verifiable information on subjects like this, not some internet blog. But I digress.

As far as PFAS and cancer is concerned, the US Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) and the US National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) ave determined there is no EVIDENCE or limited or suggestive EVIDENCE that PFAS causes testicular and kidney cancer.

There is no evidence that PFAS cause breast cancer or is cumulative in the human body due to its relatively short half life in most cases.

Reference: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/resources/pfas-information-for-clinicians.html#:~:text=Blood levels of these shorter,have relatively short half-lives.&text=PFNA: 0.411 ng/mL,,population ≤1.40 ng/mL.
10 out of 10

I live in Craigmore, Sth. Aus and I recommend people lift the lid on their toilet cistern and have a look at the thick black muck accumulated at the bottom of that cistern!
We luckily have a 3 way (mixer) tap in the kitchen hooked up to a filtration system from where we access clean drinking water. I would NOT drink water from any other available source here other than bottled water (& that is sometimes questionable depending on whether it's been left in the sun?)
I'd like to be able to provide a photo of what I've just described, but I don't know how then, to submit it?

I only drink water at my home using a Brita filter . I am not keen on water anyway but need to have for medication etc.
I drink a lot of water & use a Brita filter also. Launceston has clean water but at times they add way too much Chlorine. Maybe we should get one of those systems on the tap or wherever you put them.

The government of WA has approved a long lease, currently in its 15th year to clean away to have a tip that takes anything on a fault line above 3 aquifers
But it’s ok as they’ve put liners down yep they’ll last the lifetime of the water. Sadly they keep getting approved to go higher
Oh it’s the gateway to the Ferguson Valley wine area.
So we will have nuclear on one side of the valley and a huge dump on the other
Another out of sight out of mind government attack
I’ll be in Perth soon so it will be bottled water for me. I can’t even stand the smell. Maybe I’ll send the government a bill for the expense of buying water for my 6 week stay.

I live in Craigmore, Sth. Aus and I recommend people lift the lid on their toilet cistern and have a look at the thick black muck accumulated at the bottom of that cistern!
We luckily have a 3 way (mixer) tap in the kitchen hooked up to a filtration system from where we access clean drinking water. I would NOT drink water from any other available source here other than bottled water (& that is sometimes questionable depending on whether it's been left in the sun?)
I'd like to be able to provide a photo of what I've just described, but I don't know how then, to submit it?
who the hell drinks from their cistern? we have a water system. no to bottles unless it is necessary.