Australia Post under fire for 'throwing away' hundreds of people's mail

Imagine you're eagerly awaiting a package or letter, but when you go to check your mail, it's nowhere to be found. Your initial reaction might be one of frustration or anger, but have you ever considered the incredible feat of coordination and logistics that goes into ensuring your mail is delivered on time?

Think about it – delivery services handle thousands of parcels each day, and despite their best efforts, mistakes can happen. The same goes for Australia Post.

Recently, though, the activities of Australia Post have gone far beyond ‘understandable human mistake’ territory, leaving us speechless.

As it turns out, a pile of supposedly ‘lost’ mail was found in a bin by Sunshine Coast residents. And it didn't just contain a few letters!

The pile was made up of hundreds of deliveries and parcels, containing everything from bank and real estate letters, all the way to eBay orders.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 7.30.55 AM.png
Residents were shocked to discover heaps of mail dumped by Australia Post in rubbish bins. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

Rick Canhan, a resident in the Glass House Mountains area of the Sunshine Coast, estimated that there must have been close to 300 items in the alarming pile.

It was a local elderly woman who first discovered the dumped mail, left in an otherwise empty rubbish bin, and was so shocked that she quickly turned to social media to ask if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Fortunately, after Rick recovered the items, he handed all of them over to the local Australia Post, who said that they will be investigating who was responsible for the pile and how it had happened.

'We unreservedly apologise for this incident,' Australia Post said in a statement.

'These actions are not in line with the high service standards we expect when delivering to the community. We're investigating the circumstances around the issue and will take appropriate action.'

'We take seriously our responsibility to deliver mail and parcels in our care, and the vast majority of items are delivered safely. We thank the community for their efforts in recovering this mail, which is now being delivered to the intended recipients.'
Key Takeaways

• In a shocking discovery, Queensland residents stumbled upon a pile of discarded mail carelessly dumped in a bin by Australia Post staff.
  • These included packages from eBay and letters from banks and real estate agencies.
  • Australia Post has since apologised for the incident and is taking swift action to ensure that the mail is delivered to its intended recipients.
This isn't the first issue Australia Post has faced recently.

Last year, the company announced that it may stop delivering mail to homes where overhanging branches and vegetation are in the way of its new fleet of electric bikes.

As the company pushes forward with its goal of reducing emissions by 15% by 2025, it's turning to electric delivery vehicles to make postie routes more environmentally friendly.

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 7.30.48 AM.png
Australia Post took some heat after intimidating locals with package delivery delays unless they cut back trees on their property. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

But as councils work to clear footpath access for these vehicles, some residents are facing a difficult choice: make way for the change or risk losing their mail.

This is not the first time residents have raised this issue. In December, residents in Coburg claimed Australia Post had requested they cut back trees on their land – citing safety concerns for their posties as the reason.

The incident highlighted the challenges and trade-offs that come with implementing new technologies and systems and how they can affect the community.

We've all come to rely on Australia Post but with these recent reports, it's fair to question just how long that trust will hold. As Australia Post navigates through a series of public relations challenges, it's worth reflecting on our own experiences with the organisation.

Have you had any frustrating encounters with lost or delayed mail? Or perhaps you've had a positive experience with a dedicated postie who went above and beyond to make sure your package arrived safely?

We want to hear from you. Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Imagine you're eagerly awaiting a package or letter, but when you go to check your mail, it's nowhere to be found. Your initial reaction might be one of frustration or anger, but have you ever considered the incredible feat of coordination and logistics that goes into ensuring your mail is delivered on time?

Think about it – delivery services handle thousands of parcels each day, and despite their best efforts, mistakes can happen. The same goes for Australia Post.

Recently, though, the activities of Australia Post have gone far beyond ‘understandable human mistake’ territory, leaving us speechless.

As it turns out, a pile of supposedly ‘lost’ mail was found in a bin by Sunshine Coast residents. And it didn't just contain a few letters!

The pile was made up of hundreds of deliveries and parcels, containing everything from bank and real estate letters, all the way to eBay orders.

View attachment 11869
Residents were shocked to discover heaps of mail dumped by Australia Post in rubbish bins. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

Rick Canhan, a resident in the Glass House Mountains area of the Sunshine Coast, estimated that there must have been close to 300 items in the alarming pile.

It was a local elderly woman who first discovered the dumped mail, left in an otherwise empty rubbish bin, and was so shocked that she quickly turned to social media to ask if anyone else had experienced something similar.

Fortunately, after Rick recovered the items, he handed all of them over to the local Australia Post, who said that they will be investigating who was responsible for the pile and how it had happened.

'We unreservedly apologise for this incident,' Australia Post said in a statement.

'These actions are not in line with the high service standards we expect when delivering to the community. We're investigating the circumstances around the issue and will take appropriate action.'

'We take seriously our responsibility to deliver mail and parcels in our care, and the vast majority of items are delivered safely. We thank the community for their efforts in recovering this mail, which is now being delivered to the intended recipients.'
Key Takeaways

• In a shocking discovery, Queensland residents stumbled upon a pile of discarded mail carelessly dumped in a bin by Australia Post staff.
  • These included packages from eBay and letters from banks and real estate agencies.
  • Australia Post has since apologised for the incident and is taking swift action to ensure that the mail is delivered to its intended recipients.

Last year, the company announced that it may stop delivering mail to homes where overhanging branches and vegetation are in the way of its new fleet of electric bikes.

As the company pushes forward with its goal of reducing emissions by 15% by 2025, it's turning to electric delivery vehicles to make postie routes more environmentally friendly.

View attachment 11870
Australia Post took some heat after intimidating locals with package delivery delays unless they cut back trees on their property. Credit: Facebook/Australia Post.

But as councils work to clear footpath access for these vehicles, some residents are facing a difficult choice: make way for the change or risk losing their mail.

This is not the first time residents have raised this issue. In December, residents in Coburg claimed Australia Post had requested they cut back trees on their land – citing safety concerns for their posties as the reason.

The incident highlighted the challenges and trade-offs that come with implementing new technologies and systems and how they can affect the community.

We've all come to rely on Australia Post but with these recent reports, it's fair to question just how long that trust will hold. As Australia Post navigates through a series of public relations challenges, it's worth reflecting on our own experiences with the organisation.

Have you had any frustrating encounters with lost or delayed mail? Or perhaps you've had a positive experience with a dedicated postie who went above and beyond to make sure your package arrived safely?

We want to hear from you. Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!
Yes a few years ago in October I received a BUNDLE of mail one was from a cousin in England posted FEBRUARY plus other mail. I rang the mail centre to be told the mail deliverer had stolen a lot of mail & heaps were found in his home. They had forwarded it on to the owners. Our problem was we had not received our insurance policies on two collectable cars. I rang the insurance company. The 2 cars had been uninsured for almost one year! We soon fixed that up!!Just imagine if anything had happened to them!!! No insurance coverage!!!!!! Our mail service here is still not good. Some parcels we have never received. Fed up with ordering stuff from overseas we do not receive some of them. So not ordering anymore!!

View attachment 11869

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11870

I sent my daughter in France a birthday package, all registered online through Australia Post and handed in and postage paid at our local Post Office, back in mid-October . It contained a handbag, matching spectacles case and a pair of earrings bought from an indigenous store in our town. I tracked its arrival in France but when it didn't arrive by mid-December my French son in law contacted the French Postal Service who said it was being returned to sender with no reason given. When it hadn't arrived back to me by early this month, I contacted Australia Post online, who immediately responded. Within two days of getting all details, they stated they could get no reason from France why it was not accepted and why no one phoned or contacted my daughter in France. Australia Post recompensed me $50 !!!!! Nowhere near its value as the postage was $25 alone, so I guess I should have paid for extra insurance. However I appreciate their quick action to help. They did say if it ever did turn up (it might be coming back by sea!) I can keep it without refunding the $50. As I live on the Sunshine Coast I am wondering if my returned parcel might be among those mentioned in this article.

View attachment 11869

Key Takeaways

View attachment 11870

We have an amazing postie in Moonta ;

We have been very lucky. Our delivery people where we lived before were awesome and we moved eight months ago and once again I can’t fault our new delivery people. I hear so many negative stories about bad experiences but ours have all been positive. The only problems I have ever had with Australia post is with their sorting offices. The system just doesn’t seem to be working as it should

Reactions: Ricci
Dont get me started!! Working from home one would expect that deliveries would be an easy option - better than heading to a post office to collect after work or Saturday mornings. WRONG! My office faces the balcony where people walk to get to their unit door, all open, no security gates etc. Hence, I see everything. The majority of the time a card is left in my letterbox to collect my parcel as 'no one was in attendance'. They didnt even try, plus I have my front door open for the breeze. Not only that, they didnt leave it at the post office on the corner of my street - NO - the postie dropped it off at another post office 5 minutes by car. Complaining doesnt work, it still happens 3 years on. Australia Post is horrid.

You don’t have to cut the trees or completely remove vegetation, just trim them so as to help the postie or whoever gain access. this will keep your front still looking smicko

I had a parcel I was waiting for for some time ( 3 months ago)and tracking it said it was at my local sorting building and would be delivered within 3 days. I AM STILL WAITING!:mad:

• Sad
I regularly get mail addressed to addresses other than my own.
Once postie has dropped mail in my letter box I then redeliver to appropriate address.
I get it that he might occasionally get house number wrong but last week I had to get in car to deliver to a house several streets away and not even same number as mine.
Fearful to complain in case my mail is then delivered incorrectly… it probably already is on regular basis if past performance is anything to go by.
Postie has a scooter so retracing his route to deliver correctly shouldn’t be a hardship.
Aus post should be paying me!

I sent my daughter in France a birthday package, all registered online through Australia Post and handed in and postage paid at our local Post Office, back in mid-October . It contained a handbag, matching spectacles case and a pair of earrings bought from an indigenous store in our town. I tracked its arrival in France but when it didn't arrive by mid-December my French son in law contacted the French Postal Service who said it was being returned to sender with no reason given. When it hadn't arrived back to me by early this month, I contacted Australia Post online, who immediately responded. Within two days of getting all details, they stated they could get no reason from France why it was not accepted and why no one phoned or contacted my daughter in France. Australia Post recompensed me $50 !!!!! Nowhere near its value as the postage was $25 alone, so I guess I should have paid for extra insurance. However I appreciate their quick action to help. They did say if it ever did turn up (it might be coming back by sea!) I can keep it without refunding the $50. As I live on the Sunshine Coast I am wondering if my returned parcel might be among those mentioned in this article.
I sent a parcel for Christmas to my Brother in Law in France in October as well. I kept an eye on the tracking of the parcel and when it arrived in France it went from the International Mail Centre to the next mail centre to the local airport to the main mail centre then to the international airport where it was sent back to me. It arrived here a couple of weeks ago without even getting close to the address I sent it to. All up it spent 40 days going back and forward between the mail centres before coming back. I have sent parcels for the last 35 years to the same address and this is the first time I have ever seen it being bounced around so much. I recon the Frenchies are ticked off with us Australians for pulling the plug on the submarine deal and they don't deliver parcels from Australia. I sent a parcel on the same day to USA and it got there within 3 weeks

I just wish my postie wouldn't keep trying to deliver parcels into my postbox. Living in a retirement village all our postboxes are in banks next to the Community centre. The parcel lockers are inside the community centre so he would have to get off his bike, and walk a roughly 25m round trip to the locker. Just this week I took delivery of a 3 cd box set left in the postbox, 2 of the cases broken and in bits. The Cd's themselves were still good but that's not the point, I now have to go scrabbling around to find some undamaged cases for them. ;)