Australia Post issues urgent warning as record number of Aussies fall victim to delivery scams

These days, online shopping has become as routine as picking up the morning paper. Many people rely on it to do their weekly grocery shopping and buy other essentials.

Unfortunately, this increase has also led to a surge in package and delivery scams, which have become a prominent form of fraudulent activity in Australia.

A recent survey commissioned by Australia Post showed that a staggering 75 per cent of Australians have been targeted by these cunning schemes, with some individuals losing upwards of $20,000.

The convenience of having goods delivered to our doorstep is undeniable, but it seems that with convenience comes risk.

shutterstock_2255272219.jpg
Australia Post reported that three-quarters of Australians fall victim to delivery scams. Image source: Shutterstock

The survey paints a grim picture: 27 per cent of respondents admitted to being ensnared by these scams, with a small yet significant 5 per cent reporting losses that would make anyone's eyes water.

The most common scams are not limited to just delivery and package notifications; they also include overdue toll notices, too-good-to-be-true prize winnings, and fraudulent banking or telecommunications alerts.

It's a modern-day pirate's treasure trove of hoaxes, scams, and frauds, and it's targeting our shores with alarming frequency.

More than 80 per cent of Australians report receiving up to 10 scam texts and calls weekly, with a persistent 15 per cent bombarded by 16 or more scam emails.

In response to this escalating threat, Australia Post is stepping up its efforts to educate the public on safeguarding themselves against these deceptive tactics.

The organisation's Group Chief Executive, Paul Graham, voiced his concern, stating, 'Australians are losing billions of dollars to scams each year.'

‘Scam attempts are becoming more sophisticated, frequent and increasingly harder to detect and our latest research reveals that most of us have already been targeted,’ he added.

The research also revealed a concerning trend: over half of those surveyed had initially believed a fake delivery message was legitimate, only to discover its fraudulent nature upon closer inspection.

This highlights the sophisticated methods scammers are using to mimic official communications.

To combat this, Australia Post recommended the use of its free AusPost app, which provides a secure method to track deliveries and avoid falling prey to scam messages.

Australia Post has also issued a stern reminder to its customers: it will never reach out asking for personal or financial information, such as passwords, credit card details, or account information. Nor will it ever request payment through a call, text, or email.

Scammers, however, may not be so discerning, often referencing other delivery companies, both real and fictitious, to lure unsuspecting victims.

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, it's crucial to stay vigilant and informed.

Scammers often target those they perceive as vulnerable. By staying aware and educating ourselves on the hallmarks of these scams, we can protect not only our finances but also our sense of security.

We encourage you to share this information with friends and family, and to report any suspicious messages or calls to the appropriate authorities.

Remember, if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. Stay safe, stay sceptical, and let's keep our hard-earned money where it belongs—in our pockets, not in the hands of scammers.
Key Takeaways

• Nearly three-quarters of Australians have received fake delivery or package scam messages, with 27 per cent falling victim to such scams.
  • Some victims have lost more than $20,000 to these scams, which range from fake package deliveries to fraudulent banking communications.
  • More than 80 per cent of Australians receive one to 10 scam texts and calls per week, with some receiving 16+ scam emails.
  • Australia Post advised using its free AusPost app for secure delivery tracking and reminds customers that they will not ask for personal or financial information through call, text, or email, nor will they request payment.
Have you or someone you know encountered a package or delivery scam? Share your experiences in the comments below to help others recognise and avoid these fraudulent tactics.

Sponsored
Even if your package has been delivered, there are those who follow delivery trucks and find easy pickings at your front door. Best to use the free services from Australia Post called Parcel Collect where you can nominate a secure location with a business or post office to collect at another time

Vetting and investigating whether your emails, texts, phone calls etc are scams or genuine is becoming an onerous full-time job and people are sick of it.

Even if you never shop online you are still bombarded by thieves.

Maybe it's time to ditch social media, quit online shopping unless they off COD, quit using credit cards, never use online banking and tell the powers that be that we want to go back to cash and cheques. Sure there was theft and fraud then but they didn't get much in those days.

It would be an absolute pleasure to have those days back when shopping was exciting and social instead of being a couch potato buying shoddy goods that everybody else has anyway.

I get a few who insist I had a car accident. [Yes, I did, not my fault, No great damage to car or me. Insurance company got hacked, this was @ 10 years ago] Anyway they insist that yes I did have one and they can help me get compensation. I love telling them I DIED. I'm dead. They suck in their breath and hang up.

I never answer the phone especially when the number is displayed and I don't recognise it ,normally it's usually a eastern States number and I have no contacts there.If it's a overseas or withheld number I let it ring out no message is ever left. They don't give up I've sometimes had same number call at least 4 to 5 times a week,starting from very early morning

Had loads of delivery not possible or no one home and pay a small amount for redelivery...this was suspect from day one.. they use the same photo all the time..so they are a bit stupid to use same photos over and over..not very bright people..but for unsuspecting it's a real easy one to fall for if first time seeing this scam...also anyone who asks for credit card details is generally a scam..Coles for claiming points before losing them..so called Medicare pulled another one recently and asked for credit card details..obviously problem..and tolls..hilarious we don't even have tolls here in WA..so stupid again..bookshop closing down..cheap books..scam via txt..they did this one quite well using an old bookshop that was really closing down..but at 4.00 for an entire series??gotta be suspect...need to be super vigilant..also Dogs for sale..generally pure breeds..done from India..this has caught many out..and hate to admit but I fell for this one and $4000 later..ripped off..it could have been more but the fool rang and used a voice changer..then I knew I had been done and police can only take a report and you know that's the end of that completely...I know its not a lot but for a pensioner it is.. and no dog..heartbreaking...yeh need to watch all of them..

I never answer the phone especially when the number is displayed and I don't recognise it ,normally it's usually a eastern States number and I have no contacts there.If it's a overseas or withheld number I let it ring out no message is ever left. They don't give up I've sometimes had same number call at least 4 to 5 times a week, starting from very early morning
So true. My mobile phone tells me 'Possible scam' and lights up red. [Is usually a number that is used over and over] Thats when I get my thinking cap on. I love having "Fun" with them. They hang up, I block that number.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I use an app called "Should I Answer for phone calls and an app called "Key messages" for sms. The phone app shows possible fraudsters and the sms app sent scam txt straight to blocked messages. I kone before hand I have a scumbag scammer.

I get a few who insist I had a car accident. [Yes, I did, not my fault, No great damage to car or me. Insurance company got hacked, this was @ 10 years ago] Anyway they insist that yes I did have one and they can help me get compensation. I love telling them I DIED. I'm dead. They suck in their breath and hang up.
my partner tells them he killed someone.

lazy drivers. could not come to my front door for a delivery, we had to pick it up.

lazy drivers. could not come to my front door for a delivery, we had to pick it up.
Same happened to me this week. Has happened before. This week Austpost in reply to my complaint sent me back a photo of my front door. Unfortunately it was of the security door which you cannot see to the wood main door inside. Also my front door was open and music playing so definately home. The door bell adjacent to the door frame at eye level clearly visible which has a PRESS on it. When pressed it just about wakens half of Karrakatta Cemetary it is that loud. So LAZY driver first class.

Last edited:
I have had problems with Aust Post delivery contractor, with leaving parcels at the front of the house, around the back, or leaving a card half in the mail box, so the wind can blow it away, or belting on the door that hard, which I was expecting the glass to shatter, I actually asked him if he had to knock on the door so hard, and his reply was yes I do, so now I get all my parcels sent to the local Post Office using "Parcel Locker" and pick them up at my own convenience after receiving notification from the Aust Post App. If all people use this way of receiving their parcels, these Ar....hole couriers and sub contractors will be out of a job, and they can only blame themselves for being complete Ar....holes to Aust Post customers.

Reactions: oldsalt
The thing I have noticed, is that when I have something on order, as soon as the APO tracking is close to delivery, I get a bogus text to say that the parcel cannot be delivered because there is a problem with the address - contact us at blahblag.bogus address.com. Dead giveaway. What concerns me, is how do they know I am waiting for something? Are they illegitimately logged into the APO, and can see who is getting a parcel? I don't seem to get such messages unless I am actually expecting something.

I never answer the phone especially when the number is displayed and I don't recognise it ,normally it's usually a eastern States number and I have no contacts there.If it's a overseas or withheld number I let it ring out no message is ever left. They don't give up I've sometimes had same number call at least 4 to 5 times a week,starting from very early morning
Same here

I have had problems with Aust Post delivery contractor, with leaving parcels at the front of the house, around the back, or leaving a card half in the mail box, so the wind can blow it away, or belting on the door that hard, which I was expecting the glass to shatter, I actually asked him if he had to knock on the door so hard, and his reply was yes I do, so now I get all my parcels sent to the local Post Office using "Parcel Locker" and pick them up at my own convenience after receiving notification from the Aust Post App. If all people use this way of receiving their parcels, these Ar....hole couriers and sub contractors will be out of a job, and they can only blame themselves for being complete Ar....holes to Aust Post customers.
Exactly couldn't be more correct. Hope they all end up out of a job.

The thing I have noticed, is that when I have something on order, as soon as the APO tracking is close to delivery, I get a bogus text to say that the parcel cannot be delivered because there is a problem with the address - contact us at blahblag.bogus address.com. Dead giveaway. What concerns me, is how do they know I am waiting for something? Are they illegitimately logged into the APO, and can see who is getting a parcel? I don't seem to get such messages unless I am actually expecting something.
Funny - that happens to me quite often. I sometimes get a message with tracking number - legit - and then the scammers start sending messages as you have said - item couldn't be delivered - resend delivery address and details. NEVER - always just delete them immediately. Always wonder how they get the original legit notifications.