Australia Post delivery driver divides internet after he was filmed throwing a package at a customer’s front yard

Footage of a delivery driver who threw a package at a customer's front yard has sparked a fierce debate on social media after a number of people argued that the driver is in the right.

A bizarre video clip showing a delivery driver, who is believed to be an employee of Australia Post, carelessly flinging a package at a customer's front yard has been making the rounds on social media after one user shared it on Reddit.

Credit: Reddit/@sirdung

In the video, the driver is seen walking up to a closed gate of a home, holding a small package that can be assumed to be a delivery package for the resident.

However, when he found that the gate was closed, the driver stopped and heedlessly threw the small package towards the front door.

The Reddit user, who happens to be the homeowner and receiver of the package, complained that the delivery driver should have rung the bell at the gate instead of throwing the package at his door, explaining that he had his gates closed because of his pet dogs.

The resident wrote: “If he can’t deliver the item as there’s a gate, then take it back to the post office.”

“It’s my problem that I have a gate so I have to live with that, but don’t throw it across the yard.

“Normal posties ring the door/gate bell and I come and get the package. If I’m not home they leave a card.”

Australia Post said in a statement that it has yet to determine if the driver is an employee, but noted that if they confirm that he is working for the group, appropriate actions would be taken.

An Australia Post spokesperson said: "These actions are not in line with the high service standards we expect our people to deliver to the community."

“Our drivers are instructed to leave a card in the mail if they are unable to access the property.”

It should be noted that Australia post has a clear policy document that certain rules are in place for the "point of delivery options".

The clause reads: “Where the property has restricted public access ... delivery personnel will use the intercom or doorbell to alert the customer so they can collect the article at the entrance to the property.”

However, the policy also stated that drivers “require safe and unobstructed access to the delivery point” and identified locked gates as "impediment to delivery".

The post also attracted a number of Reddit users who defended the driver, saying that the customer was acting "entitled".

One person wrote: “I don’t know what you expected. You have a huge a** gate and expect him to scale the fence just to deliver your goods? He likely has another 50 (package) drops so isn’t going to hang around.”

“No one gets paid enough to deal with your unsecured dog,” wrote one person who claimed to be working for Australia Post, adding that drivers would be unlikely to be entering closed gates.

“If you can’t gain access to the front door everyone will always assume there is a dog.”

BcO5JjBxl5MQDJfB8_Yxb_c1j6LIZCjkfmT_pYFcL3ta9qSYo-4qJ6Mo-hBaN9l8NLQHI4e2rV0k0Cc2OSRgBiO025555gR6Aj9URTlNYDTjSA7LAUaLEBjdqZEMZ3z_0r6qDb4

A delivery driver was filmed throwing a small package at a customer’s front yard after he stumbled upon the address’s closed gate. Credit: Reddit.

The customer responded to this, sarcastically asking if Australia Post trained its drivers to throw packages “if you can’t gain access to the property to leave it in a safe place”.

The resident also pointed out that just because the package was not labelled "fragile" the driver has no right to throw it in the front yard.

A number of users argued, however, that it was normal for non-fragile packages to be thrown at the door.

One comment read: “Australia gets more than two million parcels per day. You think they have time to carefully place it for you at each destination?”

“If it’s not fragile, your parcel will be thrown. I think if you didn’t catch him doing this on camera, you’d never even have known," another quipped.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored
I have never experienced anything but great service from our "posties". I've certainly never had a package thrown across my front lawn. It's been my experience that posties either ring the gate bell so I can go to the gate to get my parcel or at times when I haven't been at home the postie has left me a card so I could collect the package from the Post Office. Recently Australia Post have started sending an SMS to customers advising them of the expected delivery of their package that day. I think all the Australia Post employees to a brilliant job often under very difficult circumstances.

I will come to the defence of my posties, I have a gate and clearly put instructions when purchasing that they are to come through the gate to the front door. I have wonderful mailmen and parcel posties and have never had a problem. If they are in doubt they leave a card in the door or letterbox. Couriers of other companies may not be so good but I say I am very happy with my great Australia Post deliverers.

Isn't it sad that one rotten apple affects the whole box.:( I have always had nothing but exemplary service from my posties.:) At one point in time my Dad was a postie, he eventually left the job due in part to the amount of abuse he received and he was a very conscientious worker.:(

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and Gaena
My only comment to this would have to be think yourself lucky that you even have an Australia post parcel delivery service! We live in an area that does not even rate a letter delivery service from Australia Post. All mail for anyone in our area is delivered to the local store, which is also an Australia post outlet, constant trips to the store to pick up any mail are made by all residents, some done on a daily basis. No door to door mail service means that the majority of homes do not even have letter boxes why bother with one? it would never be used would it, but then a letter box would normally show a street number, meaning that finding any actual physical address is near on impossible here, explaining to visitors how to find you can cause some amusing situations involving frantic phone calls asking for further instructions on where you are situated on the map, some homes in the area, like our home do not even rate a place on the map , Google thinks we do not exist! Strangely enough the whole area is considered to be a town and we have our own postecode which is a different code to the larger town closest to us, that Town is the one that Australia post does deem is large enough to warrant a door to door delivery. I guess the term Private Residence takes on a whole new meaning here!!

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
The first video doesn’t show any packages being thrown. The delivery guy walks away.
i have only ever gotten great service from my posties and their extended package deliveries.
i have had bad service from other courier services like DHL and fedex

Reactions: Ricci
Australia Post delivery driver divides internet after he was filmed throwing a package at a customer’s front yard

Footage of a delivery driver who threw a package at a customer's front yard has sparked a fierce debate on social media after a number of people argued that the driver is in the right.

A bizarre video clip showing a delivery driver, who is believed to be an employee of Australia Post, carelessly flinging a package at a customer's front yard has been making the rounds on social media after one user shared it on Reddit.

In the video, the driver is seen walking up to a closed gate of a home, holding a small package that can be assumed to be a delivery package for the resident.

However, when he found that the gate was closed, the driver stopped and heedlessly threw the small package towards the front door.

The Reddit user, who happens to be the homeowner and receiver of the package, complained that the delivery driver should have rung the bell at the gate instead of throwing the package at his door, explaining that he had his gates closed because of his pet dogs.

The resident wrote: “If he can’t deliver the item as there’s a gate, then take it back to the post office.”

“It’s my problem that I have a gate so I have to live with that, but don’t throw it across the yard.

“Normal posties ring the door/gate bell and I come and get the package. If I’m not home they leave a card.”

Australia Post said in a statement that it has yet to determine if the driver is an employee, but noted that if they confirm that he is working for the group, appropriate actions would be taken.

An Australia Post spokesperson said: "These actions are not in line with the high service standards we expect our people to deliver to the community."

“Our drivers are instructed to leave a card in the mail if they are unable to access the property.”

It should be noted that Australia post has a clear policy document that certain rules are in place for the "point of delivery options".

The clause reads: “Where the property has restricted public access ... delivery personnel will use the intercom or doorbell to alert the customer so they can collect the article at the entrance to the property.”

However, the policy also stated that drivers “require safe and unobstructed access to the delivery point” and identified locked gates as "impediment to delivery".

The post also attracted a number of Reddit users who defended the driver, saying that the customer was acting "entitled".

One person wrote: “I don’t know what you expected. You have a huge a** gate and expect him to scale the fence just to deliver your goods? He likely has another 50 (package) drops so isn’t going to hang around.”

“No one gets paid enough to deal with your unsecured dog,” wrote one person who claimed to be working for Australia Post, adding that drivers would be unlikely to be entering closed gates.

“If you can’t gain access to the front door everyone will always assume there is a dog.”

BcO5JjBxl5MQDJfB8_Yxb_c1j6LIZCjkfmT_pYFcL3ta9qSYo-4qJ6Mo-hBaN9l8NLQHI4e2rV0k0Cc2OSRgBiO025555gR6Aj9URTlNYDTjSA7LAUaLEBjdqZEMZ3z_0r6qDb4

A delivery driver was filmed throwing a small package at a customer’s front yard after he stumbled upon the address’s closed gate. Credit: Reddit.

The customer responded to this, sarcastically asking if Australia Post trained its drivers to throw packages “if you can’t gain access to the property to leave it in a safe place”.

The resident also pointed out that just because the package was not labelled "fragile" the driver has no right to throw it in the front yard.

A number of users argued, however, that it was normal for non-fragile packages to be thrown at the door.

One comment read: “Australia gets more than two million parcels per day. You think they have time to carefully place it for you at each destination?”

“If it’s not fragile, your parcel will be thrown. I think if you didn’t catch him doing this on camera, you’d never even have known," another quipped.

I have seen the same things happen outside my local PO .

I have seen the same type of thing outside my local PO.. They get a shopping trolley, take the crate off the van with the parcels , til the crate up and let tne parcels fall into the trolley. I hoticed one parcel was clearly marked ..... Fragile

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
I cannot speak highly enough of my local Australia post delivery drivers, they go beyond the contract. It is a different story as far as couriers and other companies are concerned, abysmal customer service.

Reactions: Liz and Gaena