Aussies weigh in on which items they can't live without despite price hikes

It's no secret that the cost of living has been on the rise in recent months. And while many of us have had to tighten our belts and make some tough choices when it comes to spending, there's no denying that there are some things that we just can't seem to give up...

Take, for example, iced coffee. Despite cafes increasing the prices of the "revered" beverage, we here at SDC still can't get enough of this cool, delicious drink. After all, most of us need our daily dose of caffeine to function, right?

Having said that, it is not surprising that shoppers have taken to social media to discuss the items that will always be a staple in their grocery lists.

In a popular Facebook group, a Victorian woman, who professed her commitment to brand-name butter, asked other group members about which items they would continue to purchase even if their finances became more constrained due to rising living costs.

"With rising grocery prices and the cost of living, what is one thing you WON'T compromise on?" the woman wrote in her post.

"I will never eat margarine instead of butter. It has to be Western Star butter."

WHRkBfmW-76YVRZj65LTUYcNQoB1nLCzsLtcc8BHgMHidjaSrTvwOsUO5CpZxiWBdy2FRbEoCUsRSPS2hBuGhv67OsagIUuN1epUrD1pG3qxkFRybZna1aYqEcz-7C3S8edxmVC2osQ7Q4Zt6Q

Credit: Getty Images/AAP

While many group members agreed that they couldn't live without butter, not all of them had the same brand devotion.

One user replied: "Yeah, same. I don't care about the brand but it must be butter."

"Yuck to margarine–agreed!" one woman said, claiming that she regularly purchases organic butter from ALDI.

Several users said that they will continue to prioritise fresh produce despite dramatic price increases brought on by recent floods and cold snaps.

One comment read: "We will continue to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I know it's just as good nutritionally, but frozen just doesn't taste the same."

"I have one child who will only eat iceberg lettuce and carrots. I wrap it in newspaper and it lasts longer," one woman said, claiming that she will never quit purchasing the vegetable regardless of how expensive it becomes.

A third chimed in: "I'm going to keep buying watermelon, it's my favourite fruit and although it's expensive as an individual item, you eat it across the week so it's worth it."

One mum said she spends a "considerable amount" of money on fruits, such as berries, bananas, and apples, noting that they are some of her daughter's favourites.

"And now that my son is starting solids I'm also buying more fresh veggies. Hate the frozen stuff," she added.

xMh_x5Kbdk7uKwTSQIm063cBa1E_wEubWTbWptSGEgv3-oa1c_OH7c4WSa_edwpYGhC1ot1xRketH4eXL8C9zKQCqlrfDElLfdpH48J3aADPjiFDXg00IlvYJLpTGerP5_8ejFmQW_2Wv0y4oA

Credit: Getty Images

Another popular item that many can't seem to give up purchasing is Australian meat. (For obvious reasons: we produce some of the highest grade meats in the world.)

One user wrote: "I refuse to buy the imported stuff."

"Nothing but Porterhouse or Eye Fillet," another said.

A third added: "Definitely no Devon, it's fresh ham only."

Meanwhile, others are prioritising hygiene products such as toilet paper and tissues, saying that they will never cheap out on these sanitary essentials.

One comment read: "I need proper loo paper.”

"As an allergic rhinitis sufferer it has to be Kleenex tissues for me or I end up with sandpaper nose!" another said. (We definitely agree!)

As evidenced in this thread, it’s not surprising that a lot of shoppers are keeping quality essentials at the top of their shopping lists.

However, we find it a bit alarming that even if most items mentioned are “essentials”, a lot of people have pointed out that purchasing their favourite items is an act of indulgence. This just shows that with the rising costs of living, everything seems to be out of reach when you don’t have enough funds.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you mind sharing what grocery items will always be a staple in your shopping lists?

Sponsored
I never buy fruit and veg from the big three, I only buy meat from the big three when it is discounted, I only buy Quilton, and I use it instead of tissues as it is cheaper, stronger and softer, I have a Fresh and Save supermarket near me and across the board they are cheaper than Aldi, they also have super specials, they just had a 99cent week where some items were 99cents per kilo, eg bananas 99cents per kilo while woolworths were $4.49

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
I have tried and tried to give up coffee can't do it. As for everything else I have introduced my family to a large variety of food , as for fruit and veg we are always well stocked and always have purchased what ever is in season , we love strawberries but will not buy it at $8.00 a punnet.

We love broccoli and with the recent price hike we tried frozen broccoli 🥦 and was pleasantly surprised how good it was
It's already cut into small pieces and I'm not paying for that large stem that I throw away

Perfect for stir-fry as well
hahaha the large stem....I always pick the largest stem because as I am cutting the rest up I am munching on that noice raw stem just like us kids use to fight over the stem on cabbage and cauliflower as mum was cutting it up

It's no secret that the cost of living has been on the rise in recent months. And while many of us have had to tighten our belts and make some tough choices when it comes to spending, there's no denying that there are some things that we just can't seem to give up...

Take, for example, iced coffee. Despite cafes increasing the prices of the "revered" beverage, we here at SDC still can't get enough of this cool, delicious drink. After all, most of us need our daily dose of caffeine to function, right?

Having said that, it is not surprising that shoppers have taken to social media to discuss the items that will always be a staple in their grocery lists.

In a popular Facebook group, a Victorian woman, who professed her commitment to brand-name butter, asked other group members about which items they would continue to purchase even if their finances became more constrained due to rising living costs.

"With rising grocery prices and the cost of living, what is one thing you WON'T compromise on?" the woman wrote in her post.

"I will never eat margarine instead of butter. It has to be Western Star butter."

WHRkBfmW-76YVRZj65LTUYcNQoB1nLCzsLtcc8BHgMHidjaSrTvwOsUO5CpZxiWBdy2FRbEoCUsRSPS2hBuGhv67OsagIUuN1epUrD1pG3qxkFRybZna1aYqEcz-7C3S8edxmVC2osQ7Q4Zt6Q

Credit: Getty Images/AAP

While many group members agreed that they couldn't live without butter, not all of them had the same brand devotion.

One user replied: "Yeah, same. I don't care about the brand but it must be butter."

"Yuck to margarine–agreed!" one woman said, claiming that she regularly purchases organic butter from ALDI.

Several users said that they will continue to prioritise fresh produce despite dramatic price increases brought on by recent floods and cold snaps.

One comment read: "We will continue to buy fresh fruit and vegetables. I know it's just as good nutritionally, but frozen just doesn't taste the same."

"I have one child who will only eat iceberg lettuce and carrots. I wrap it in newspaper and it lasts longer," one woman said, claiming that she will never quit purchasing the vegetable regardless of how expensive it becomes.

A third chimed in: "I'm going to keep buying watermelon, it's my favourite fruit and although it's expensive as an individual item, you eat it across the week so it's worth it."

One mum said she spends a "considerable amount" of money on fruits, such as berries, bananas, and apples, noting that they are some of her daughter's favourites.

"And now that my son is starting solids I'm also buying more fresh veggies. Hate the frozen stuff," she added.

xMh_x5Kbdk7uKwTSQIm063cBa1E_wEubWTbWptSGEgv3-oa1c_OH7c4WSa_edwpYGhC1ot1xRketH4eXL8C9zKQCqlrfDElLfdpH48J3aADPjiFDXg00IlvYJLpTGerP5_8ejFmQW_2Wv0y4oA

Credit: Getty Images

Another popular item that many can't seem to give up purchasing is Australian meat. (For obvious reasons: we produce some of the highest grade meats in the world.)

One user wrote: "I refuse to buy the imported stuff."

"Nothing but Porterhouse or Eye Fillet," another said.

A third added: "Definitely no Devon, it's fresh ham only."

Meanwhile, others are prioritising hygiene products such as toilet paper and tissues, saying that they will never cheap out on these sanitary essentials.

One comment read: "I need proper loo paper.”

"As an allergic rhinitis sufferer it has to be Kleenex tissues for me or I end up with sandpaper nose!" another said. (We definitely agree!)

As evidenced in this thread, it’s not surprising that a lot of shoppers are keeping quality essentials at the top of their shopping lists.

However, we find it a bit alarming that even if most items mentioned are “essentials”, a lot of people have pointed out that purchasing their favourite items is an act of indulgence. This just shows that with the rising costs of living, everything seems to be out of reach when you don’t have enough funds.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you mind sharing what grocery items will always be a staple in your shopping lists?

I never buy fruit and veg from the big three, I only buy meat from the big three when it is discounted, I only buy Quilton, and I use it instead of tissues as it is cheaper, stronger and softer, I have a Fresh and Save supermarket near me and across the board they are cheaper than Aldi, they also have super specials, they just had a 99cent week where some items were 99cents per kilo, eg bananas 99cents per kilo while woolworths were $4.49
I won’t give up my Devondale butter even though it rose 80c last week. I don’t mind a small hike but 80c is disgusting but I Do like this brand

• Sad
I have tried and tried to give up coffee can't do it. As for everything else I have introduced my family to a large variety of food , as for fruit and veg we are always well stocked and always have purchased what ever is in season , we love strawberries but will not buy it at $8.00 a punnet.

We love broccoli and with the recent price hike we tried frozen broccoli 🥦 and was pleasantly surprised how good it was
It's already cut into small pieces and I'm not paying for that large stem that I throw away

I always peel the huge stem and cut it into discs or 1/2 discs for stirfrys too. Its a lovely edible part of the plant...

You can still prioritise your favourite things for example I only buy Madura earl grey tea because it’s all I drink - not switching to horrible tea it’s my one vice - I’d rather give up something else
This is all very well for those that can afford it ,once again the pensioners, have to listen to the holier than thou ravings of luckier people.
“Luckier People”? Dunno whether I believe in Luck. I am where I am today ( comfortable ) through Planning, Thrift and Hard Work Which does not mean that I don’t feel for you.

Hi. Don't throw away the stems of broccoli or cauliflower. Cut them up to use in a soup or stir-fry.
You can freeze them in a small bag if you will not use them until another week.
I also use most of the leaves from celery in soups or casseroles.

Reactions: Suzanne rose