Aussies left fuming after giant ute hogs three parking spots

As drivers, it is common courtesy to share the road with others. One must remember that commuters and other drivers also need safe spaces as they travel.

In a bustling car park, a scene unfolded that has sparked a heated debate among residents and social media users alike.

A giant American-style Chevrolet Silverado ute was photographed sprawled across not one, not two, but three parking spaces–including a spot reserved for disabled drivers.

The image, taken in Melbourne and which has since gone viral, has led to a torrent of criticism and has raised broader questions about the place of such oversized vehicles in Australia's urban landscapes.

The incident on a busy Saturday was not just a case of poor parking etiquette.

When a passer-by confronted the driver about the inconsiderate parking, the driver's response was reportedly threatening, claiming that the vehicle 'doesn't fit in normal people spots' and threatened the concerned citizen of physical harm.

giant vehicle.PNG
A Chevrolet Silverado was spotted occupying three parking spaces, one of which was allotted to disabled drivers, in a Melbourne car park. Image Credit: Reddit

The photograph has drawn a flood of comments, many filled with expletives, condemning the driver's actions and the presence of large US-style utes like the Ford F150 and Dodge Ram on Australian roads.

‘That’s a disgusting photo,’ one commenter wrote.

'These oversized vehicles should be 100 per cent banned,' another commenter exclaimed, reflecting a sentiment that these trucks are not only a nuisance but also a potential hazard in urban settings.

A lot of comments also suggested reporting the vehicle for violations through the Snap Send Solve app.

This incident made people call for stricter enforcement of parking regulations and penalties for such behaviour.

The City of Yarra Council has expressed safety concerns over the growing trend of giant SUVs and utes.

While there is reportedly no plan to ban these vehicles, the council is actively exploring measures to discourage their purchase and use on the city's streets.

Greens Councillor Sophie Wade has been particularly vocal, advocating for a more equitable use of road space and highlighting the disproportionate risks these large vehicles pose to pedestrians, especially children.

Councillor Wade's motion to the council noted 'the dangers posed by the increasing size and weight of vehicles on Australian streets’.

‘It's really a matter of one person's right to drive whatever they want trumping everyone else's right to (safety) on the street, and I don't think that's a compromise we should be willing to make,' she said.

She has suggested that the council consider implementing a parking tax on large trucks, drawing inspiration from a similar initiative in Paris.

'When you've got stats that show SUV's are eight times more likely to kill a child when they hit them than standard cars, I think that's the sort of thing you shouldn't try and accommodate,’ she said.

In the wake of the parking fiasco, passionate defenders of the American-style ute have come forward, arguing that the actions of one inconsiderate driver should not tarnish the reputation of all large vehicle owners.

Some responsible owners have shared their own practices, such as parking on the outskirts of car parks to avoid inconveniencing others, emphasising the importance of being considerate regardless of vehicle size.

The debate has also sparked suggestions that owners of oversized utes should undergo a special licence test, similar to those required for motorcycles and heavy vehicles, to ensure they are capable of handling their vehicles responsibly in urban environments.

This idea has gained traction among those who believe that with great power (and size) comes great responsibility.

Key Takeaways

• A driver in Melbourne caused an uproar by parking a Chevrolet Silverado ute across three car spaces, including a disabled spot.
  • Social media and local residents expressed anger, with calls for restrictions and special licence tests for drivers of oversized vehicles.
  • The City of Yarra Council is exploring measures to discourage the use of large and heavy vehicles on the streets, considering options like a parking fee based on vehicle size.
  • Despite the backlash, some passionate owners defend their right to drive US-style pick-up trucks, insisting that issues arise from inconsiderate drivers rather than the vehicles themselves.

As the conversation continues, it's clear that the issue is not just about one poorly parked vehicle, but about how Australian cities can adapt to a changing automotive landscape without compromising safety and accessibility.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue. Have you encountered similar problems with oversized vehicles in your local area? Do you think measures like a parking tax for large trucks are a good solution? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Whilst I agree that the driver has parked illegally and also inconsiderately, surely the blame belongs to local government for allowing such small (even for small sedans) parking spaces to be allocated in the first instance. These larger vehicles pay their registration taxes to drive on the roads, so why does local government allow small parking spaces to be the norm, instead of thinking ahead and requiring the parking spaces to be larger. It isn't as if these large vehicles have suddenly appeared, they have been around for decades. But hec, heaven forbid if local government thought about what is actually needed to accommodate not only all sized vehicles, but also suitable drainage schemes etc for built up areas, etc,etc,etc.

Whilst I agree that the driver has parked illegally and also inconsiderately, surely the blame belongs to local government for allowing such small (even for small sedans) parking spaces to be allocated in the first instance. These larger vehicles pay their registration taxes to drive on the roads, so why does local government allow small parking spaces to be the norm, instead of thinking ahead and requiring the parking spaces to be larger. It isn't as if these large vehicles have suddenly appeared, they have been around for decades. But hec, heaven forbid if local government thought about what is actually needed to accommodate not only all sized vehicles, but also suitable drainage schemes etc for built up areas, etc,etc,etc.
No those huge utes have only been sold in Australia since 2016, if he knew how to park the ridiculously oversized thing he CAN fit into the spaces he just can't open the doors which might be a good thing, cause he has to save his money to fill the thing up.

Why did the idiot park lengthwise across 3 parking slots when that was a stupid and arrogant way to park? Apart from having a tom-fool vehicle like that in the first place.

There is far too much garbage advertising overlarge multi-megawatt extra-powerful four -wheel drive vehicles in Australia's advertising media.

Someone should have parked close behind him to teach him a lesson on how to park his monster. He can't go forward so effectively he not only blocked 3 spaces but 4 as he would need the 4th to get this monster out again. Leave him there for a couple of hours & maybe he would learn a lesson or 2 or 3.

• Love
Reactions: Bridgit
I was pinned against my car when one of those huge Utes decided to reverse out whilst I was standing by my trolley. I shouted out for him to stop so I could move back ,instead he kept going,he turned his front wheel too early hit the trolley which bumped into my car left a small dent and completely buckled the trolley wheel.Didn't get his number plate he took off far too quickly nearly running someone over

When my incident happened we were parked in a shopping car park that had put in extra wide bays,unfortunately he hadn't parked straight and was more over to one side.and over the line.which made the vehicle closer to me. I was parked first
Whilst I agree that the driver has parked illegally and also inconsiderately, surely the blame belongs to local government for allowing such small (even for small sedans) parking spaces to be allocated in the first instance. These larger vehicles pay their registration taxes to drive on the roads, so why does local government allow small parking spaces to be the norm, instead of thinking ahead and requiring the parking spaces to be larger. It isn't as if these large vehicles have suddenly appeared, they have been around for decades. But hec, heaven forbid if local government thought about what is actually needed to accommodate not only all sized vehicles, but also suitable drainage schemes etc for built up areas, etc,etc,etc

Reactions: Ezzy
There is zero excuse of parking across disabled parking he should be fined for that. There is always ample parking length ways . But he is a lazy driver using excuse to park closer to the doors. Police should fine him zero tolerance for that

Book him to the max..... no argument.

I have found that many of the Large American vehicles not only a menace in shopping car parks, but also they like to tail gate. A Road tax on these over sized vehicles would certainly slow down the sale of them. Our roads and car parks are not built for them.

He is only parked on one disabled parking bay. These vehicles are way too long for the carpark spaces allowed in many carparks (if you go to somewhere like Costco an American company the parking bays are huge). So, has he broken any laws? We don't know, because if he has a handicapped person notice displayed, technically no law has been broken.

4x4 vehicles. I have driven plenty in various parts of the world. Number one is the old 1980s short-wheel base Toyota. Or maybe the 19-whenevers Russian "jeep" with its canvas top and which can seat 5 people and is simplicity itself in the engine bay. Both short, practical and would also fit in a single car-park space outside a supermarket . For carrying heavy loads, the long-wheel base Toyota Landcruiser, again 1980s vintage; very useful for carrying 3/4 tonne of coffee beans in sacks and 3-4 people in the tray. Then the old Hi-lux with rigid front axle and front leaf springs if you need to carry 4-5 people in the cab plus 26 other people in the tray.

The modern stuff is hi-tech garbage that wouldn't survive anywhere for more than a couple of years in places where 4x4s are necessary for survival, the roads are worse than one's worst imagination and the local mechanic, if there is one, hasn't got much more than a shifting spanner, screw-driver and a tin-opener. As for the obscene machine in the photo; it's rubbish.

He is only parked on one disabled parking bay. These vehicles are way too long for the carpark spaces allowed in many carparks (if you go to somewhere like Costco an American company the parking bays are huge). So, has he broken any laws? We don't know, because if he has a handicapped person notice displayed, technically no law has been broken.
Oh that’s ok then if he’s only taking up one disabled spot, a bit of an inconvenience if that’s the only disabled spot in the car park. No mention of anyone seeing a disability sticker on the car and he was able bodied enough to threaten people who called him out on his selfish parking

Oh that’s ok then if he’s only taking up one disabled spot, a bit of an inconvenience if that’s the only disabled spot in the car park. No mention of anyone seeing a disability sticker on the car and he was able bodied enough to threaten people who called him out on his selfish parking
I'm just saying I see a lot of disabled notices in these vehicles, and you want to know why? Because if they are DVA Gold Card TPI, they don't pay sales tax on them, so they all buy these vehicles because no one is going to take them on, and the rule of the road is you always give way to anything bigger than you.