Aussies grapple with skyrocketing rents as major cities hit record highs

If you're a renter in one of Australia's major cities, you might want to sit down for this news—rental prices are ‘likely to continue’, according to an expert.

New data from PropTrack shows that over the past year, average weekly rents have exploded by 18 per cent in Sydney to a whopping $650 per week. You read that right— $650 a week just for a roof over your head!

Meanwhile, rents have jumped 14 per cent in Melbourne to $500 per week. Brisbane (12 per cent to $550), Perth (15 per cent to $540), and Adelaide (11 per cent to $500) have also seen double-digit growth.

Experts warn that this rental pain train isn't stopping any time soon. Cameron Kusher, PropTrack's Director of Economic Research, predicts rental growth will continue as population growth outpaces housing supply in the major capitals.

The sky-high rents are being fueled by a perfect storm of factors.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.51.35 AM.png
Rents continue to surge in major capital cities. Credit: Unsplash/Joel Overbeck.

More migrants are returning to Australia after reopening borders, driving up demand.

At the same time, interest rate rises have crushed many people's dreams of buying their first home. They're unable to get a foot on the property ladder, so they're stuck renting for longer.

On top of this, some people who fled to regional areas during the pandemic are now drifting back to the capitals for work and study, putting further pressure on capital city rentals.

The impact on renters, on those trying to make ends meet, is immense.

'Just got a notice of rent increase. $200 extra a week. We're already paying $900, which is ridiculous. $1100 a week is an absolute joke,' vented one frustrated Sydneysider on social media.

'Telling me to move to the outer suburbs does nothing to address the rental crisis. Rents are soaring everywhere,' they added.

A second user replied, 'That's a lot of rent. They need to provide more support for renters with these rent increases.'

'This is wrong... How can they get away with that?' a third commented.

While the rampant rental rises may be great news for landlords and real estate agents, renters are increasingly finding themselves stretched to breaking point.

Mr Kusher suggested that renters might find themselves in a challenging situation, possibly having to return to shared housing arrangements or needing to rent out spare rooms or extra space to manage the rising rental costs.

He also said he expects continued growth in the coming quarter and into the following year in major cities, but he believes it's unlikely that the increase will be as significant as what was observed in the past year.

'It's hard to imagine rents going up 36 per cent in two years in the case of Sydney,' he added.

When can Aussies expect a decrease in rental prices?

According to PropTrack economist Angus Moore, renters, especially those in major cities, shouldn't anticipate much relief in the short term.

He suggested that rental pressures will likely persist, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne. However, there is a glimmer of hope in other cities where signs indicate a slowdown in rental price increases.

Looking ahead, some relief might be on the horizon.

Moore noted an increase in investor activity and a growing number of rental properties entering the market, coupled with fewer investors selling their properties, at least on an overall scale.

This shift is gradually increasing the supply of rental properties, but it's a slow-moving process.

What support is available for renters?

According to Penny Carr, the CEO of Tenants Queensland, an organisation providing advice and advocacy for renters, anyone feeling the strain of rising rental costs should seek advice.

Conversation with someone knowledgeable in the field can clarify and guide what actions to take.

Renters can also try negotiating rent increases with their landlords. Exploring potential subsidies or support programs state governments offer is also highly recommended.

Carr also proposed that state and federal governments should limit the frequency and extent to which rents can be raised.

'We think it is fair for rents to be increased, but there should be limits on that,' she said. 'The limit should be once annually, at the rate of the Consumer Price Index, and that's fair for both sides.'

Key Takeaways

• The average rent in Sydney rose 18 per cent to $650 per week and is expected to continue to increase.
  • Cameron Kusher, director of economic research at PropTrack, mentioned causes including population growth and reduced properties available for rent.
  • Average rent in Melbourne increased 14 per cent to $500 per week, and Brisbane rents rose 12 per cent to $550. Other capital cities also saw major increases.
  • Unit rentals are growing faster than house rentals as people return to slightly cheaper units.
  • According to PropTrack economist Angus Moore, rental pressures will likely persist, particularly in Sydney and Melbourne.
  • Renters can try negotiating rent increases with their landlords. Exploring potential subsidies or support programs state governments offer is also highly recommended.

With rents rising faster than wages, experts agree more needs to be done to increase the affordable housing supply.

Members, do you have tips or stories to share about rising rents? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored
If you're a renter in one of Australia's major cities, you might want to sit down for this news—rental prices are ‘likely to continue’, according to an expert.

New data from PropTrack shows that over the past year, average weekly rents have exploded by 18 per cent in Sydney to a whopping $650 per week. You read that right— $650 a week just for a roof over your head!

Meanwhile, rents have jumped 14 per cent in Melbourne to $500 per week. Brisbane (12 per cent to $550), Perth (15 per cent to $540), and Adelaide (11 per cent to $500) have also seen double-digit growth.

Pretty soon you have to give up your job and move because you can’t afford rent. Where are we ?

Reactions: Leanne D
It's a vicious cycle, the cost of houses is astronomical, mortgages keep going up, insurances, tradies charges are ridiculous. There will be less and less investors as it becomes unviable to have a rental property.
Albo needs to stop gallivanting around the countryside spruiking his Voice, along with all his overseas trips and concentrate on the real issues at home.
Power prices, he promised to reduce, just keep going up. People are living on the streets, in cars, etc. It's getting impossible to put food in the table .
People can't afford to insure their homes because of astronomical insurance premiums.
People can't afford to drive their cars to work because petrol prices have skyrocketed and not everybody has access to public transport.And what is our Prime Minister doing about this, bloody nothing.
He's either missing in action or running around the countryside trying to make a hero out of himself with his Voice.
All he has done is divide the nation.
In the meantime thousands of migrants will be streaming into the country, where are they going to live??

It's a vicious cycle, the cost of houses is astronomical, mortgages keep going up, insurances, tradies charges are ridiculous. There will be less and less investors as it becomes unviable to have a rental property.
Albo needs to stop gallivanting around the countryside spruiking his Voice, along with all his overseas trips and concentrate on the real issues at home.
Power prices, he promised to reduce, just keep going up. People are living on the streets, in cars, etc. It's getting impossible to put food in the table .
People can't afford to insure their homes because of astronomical insurance premiums.
People can't afford to drive their cars to work because petrol prices have skyrocketed and not everybody has access to public transport.And what is our Prime Minister doing about this, bloody nothing.
He's either missing in action or running around the countryside trying to make a hero out of himself with his Voice.
All he has done is divide the nation.
In the meantime thousands of migrants will be streaming into the country, where are they going to live??
Agree.....for a start, stop bringing more people into the country, when there's nowhere for them to live....crazy !!

It is a pity that the voice of those other Australians who are becoming more and more disadvantage is being ignored by our assorted useless governments. But that is the end result of the "privatisation" mentality applied to Public Services and public infrastructure since Keating, him of the ALP, became Treasurer back in 1983. Exactly the same problem occurred in NZ beginning back in 1985; in the early 1970s NZ worked ok. Now it is become a basket case. Thatcherism at work, white-anting society for the financial benefit of a few.

It’s usually the real estate agent who recommends rent increases not the owner 😁
It certainly is! A friend in Tassie has an investment property and she didn't want to increase the rent as she has a great tenant and wanted to keep them. The real estate agent argued with her and ended up telling her they would charge the commission on the higher rent they were advocating even if she didn't increase it. Funnily enough, they no longer manage the property.

It certainly is! A friend in Tassie has an investment property and she didn't want to increase the rent as she has a great tenant and wanted to keep them. The real estate agent argued with her and ended up telling her they would charge the commission on the higher rent they were advocating even if she didn't increase it. Funnily enough, they no longer manage the property.
That’s just downright rude🙀

Reactions: siameezer
Agreed! Sadly that is typical of real estate agents though ... the bad far outweighs the good!
I rent but I’m lucky my owners and real estate agent agreed on a $25.00 a week increase in my rent. Because I’ve been here 5 years, I’m a great tenant that’s why they don’t want to lose me. I rent a two bed unit and the rents still under the recommended $400.00 and upwards for this area. And I love living here I don’t want to move at 65. 😁

It is not the government or the people causing all these problems it is WOKE (work on killing everyone). They will start fights between the haves and the have-nots. This is happening in other parts of the world as we speak.

I rent but I’m lucky my owners and real estate agent agreed on a $25.00 a week increase in my rent. Because I’ve been here 5 years, I’m a great tenant that’s why they don’t want to lose me. I rent a two bed unit and the rents still under the recommended $400.00 and upwards for this area. And I love living here I don’t want to move at 65. 😁
Good tenants are hard to come by and if any landlord has a good tenant they should bend over backwards to keep them.
Getting extra rent, but loosing your good tenant is false economy.
Your lucky to have a good landlord who appreciates you.

Nice to see I'm paying Sydney prices in Brisbane , and they call the rises justified.

Good tenants are hard to come by and if any landlord has a good tenant they should bend over backwards to keep them.
Getting extra rent, but loosing your good tenant is false economy.
Your lucky to have a good landlord who appreciates you.
Exactly😁

That is great! It is so tough out there right now. I have one of those not-so-great property managers, unfortunately. I have lived here for 23 years and I just copped a $200 a month increase! No maintenance has been done on the property but I am stuck here as no one seems to want to rent to pensioners.

That is great! It is so tough out there right now. I have one of those not-so-great property managers, unfortunately. I have lived here for 23 years and I just copped a $200 a month increase! No maintenance has been done on the property but I am stuck here as no one seems to want to rent to pensioners.
🙀🙀

Reactions: IAN3005

I wish mine was $650 a week.... Just went from $690 a week to $835 a week..... no relief from Centrelink.
As a consequence, I have had to cut my private health and the internet.... next up is the car insurance. Gas I save by showering once a week and the washing gets done on cold cycle once a month. I only go shopping once a month, or fortnightly. They won't get the better of me.