Aussies feel spied-on as supermarkets roll out hi-tech security systems!

In an age where convenience often comes hand-in-hand with technological advancement, Australian supermarkets have been pushing the envelope with high-tech surveillance systems.

However, as these measures become increasingly invasive, many Aussies are saying enough is enough.

The giants of the grocery world, Woolworths and Coles, have been at the forefront of implementing sophisticated surveillance technologies in their stores.

From ceiling cameras that assign digital IDs to shoppers to 'smart' exit gates at self-serve checkouts, these systems are designed to deter theft, but are also causing discomfort and frustration among customers.

photo.jpg
Australian shoppers expressed dissatisfaction with the extensive surveillance systems implemented by Coles and Woolworths. Credits: Shutterstock

Lauren Kate Kelly, a PhD candidate in the Australian Research Council’s Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society at RMIT University, delved into the implications of these surveillance tactics.

Her research suggested that while Woolworths and Coles are integral to daily life in Australia, their role should not excuse a lack of scrutiny over privacy concerns.

‘Indeed, they are such familiar places that technological developments there may fly under the radar of public attention,’ she wrote.

According to her, over the previous year, the supermarket giants have rolled out ‘a growing hi-tech infrastructure of surveillance and control that pervades retail stores, warehouses, delivery systems and beyond’.

The introduction of these systems led to customers feeling criminalised.

Some customers have reported being “trapped” by the gate despite paying for their items, causing significant embarrassment,’ Ms Kelly shared.

The psychological impact of being monitored so closely was also not to be underestimated, with nearly one in four Australians, or about 4.5 million shoppers—reported by news.com.au from a survey by Finder—advocating for the removal of cameras at self-serve checkouts.

Amy Bradney-George, a Personal Finance Expert at Finder, said that numerous respondents expressed feeling "victimised" by the technology, as it can erroneously suggest someone is engaging in theft.

‘These cameras track customers’ every move, but sometimes don’t have a clear interpretation of events, raising unnecessary suspicion by nearby attendants,’ she explained.

‘It’s made self-service shopping take considerably longer in some cases, while customers are checked for potential thievery.’

The supermarket giants defended themselves on the issue.

A Coles spokesperson said, ‘While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately a small number don’t.’

‘The safety of our team members and customers is our top priority, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including security personnel and surveillance technologies such as CCTV.’

‘Some of our cameras, such as the ones that display a live feed of the customer on their self-service screen as they complete their shop, do not record or collect personal information. Any CCTV footage that is recorded, is done so in line with all relevant laws and Coles’ Privacy Policy.’

‘Like most businesses and public spaces, we use surveillance technologies in accordance with stringent privacy laws, and we have strict protocols in place around access to the footage,’ they added.

Meanwhile, in a statement, a Woolworths spokesperson stated, ‘We have a number of initiatives that we use, both covert and overt, to help reduce retail crime, which currently mirrors a level that we experienced prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.’

‘These initiatives include the use of camera technology at the check-outs, double welcome gates, CCTV, and a trial of gates at the exit to our self-serve checkout area.’

‘The majority of our customers do the right thing, and we thank them for doing so.’

‘We also continue reviewing our health and safety controls to ensure we’re doing everything we can to keep our team and customers safe in our stores, and this remains our absolute priority.’

‘We use technology such as team safety cameras and VR Training modules to both support and prepare our team members for instances where they may feel unsafe,’ they continued.

However, the discomfort extends beyond the checkouts.

Woolworths has trialled the use of 500 miniature cameras on shelves to monitor stock levels and improve efficiencies.

While these measures may be intended to protect staff from aggressive customers, they also raise questions about the collection and use of biometric data.

‘The cameras monitor real-time stock levels, and Woolworths says customers captured in photos will be silhouetted for privacy,’ Ms Kelly said.

The partnerships between the supermarkets and data companies like Auror and Palantir have further intensified privacy concerns.

These deals allow for the collection and analysis of vast amounts of data, which can be used to track and prevent shoplifting, but also have the potential to lead to job losses and a dehumanisation of the workforce.

The financial implications of these surveillance measures are not lost on the Australian public.

With households spending an average of $160 per week on groceries according to Canstar Blue, the expectation is that the shopping experience should be free from the feeling of being constantly watched and judged.

‘With food prices rising significantly over the past year, it’s no secret that some households are struggling to afford to put food on the table,’ Ms Bradney-George said.

‘But for most of these people, their greatest crime is forgetting to scan their 15c bag or scanning a granny smith instead of a pink lady.’

The backlash against this surveillance overreach is growing.

Shoppers are exercising their right to choose where and how they shop, with some opting for staffed checkouts or supporting local grocery stores that offer a more personal and less scrutinised shopping experience.

However, Ms Kelly asserted that the security measures implemented by Woolworths and Coles warrant equal examination from both the public and governmental bodies, similar to the attention given to accusations of price exploitation.

‘Viewed as a whole, Coles’ and Woolworths’ hi-tech measures paint a picture of surveillance and control that exerts pressures on both customers and workers,’ she argued.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian shoppers are expressing dissatisfaction with the extensive surveillance systems implemented by major supermarkets, particularly Woolworths and Coles.
  • A new survey indicated a significant portion of Australians believe certain surveillance cameras at self-service checkouts should be removed, as they feel these cameras treat them like potential thieves.
  • Supermarkets introduced various security measures, such as smart exit gates and ceiling cameras, which have raised privacy concerns among customers and some employees.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths entered into partnerships with data companies for advanced surveillance and data analysis, leading to debates about the ethical implications and the potential impact on staff and customer privacy.
Have you felt uncomfortable with the level of monitoring in stores? Do you think these security measures are necessary, or do they go too far? Join the conversation and let us know how you feel in the comments below.

Sponsored
Personally I am grateful for all the surveillance in our city. People do try to scam insurance companies with claims, shopper “forget” what’s in their trolley, and some stores have had to resort to tagging the meat because of theft. We may all feel victimised but blame your fellow being. I really thank all those with cameras that assist police into early solving of crime.

I seriously hope they are filming.
Only yesterday, I had to go to the local Coles to pick up a few items some of which were much too large to pick up and scan.
I hope they were filming me chucking a hissy fit and being a sooky lah lah because there was nobody available to help.
Same old chestnut. I should have done the large goods first. I asked, where is the sign that says I have to do that??? This was accompanied by a less than pleasant facial expression targeted for whatever cameras were peering at me.
It took twice as long to complete the purchase than it would have if I had the opportunity to use a manned checkout. There was ONE checkout there, however, the queue was way too long to contemplate and I didn't think it was right to intrude on the line that was 100% full trolleys. So, onward I marched to self-serve determined not to let the mongrels get to me. Didn't work. They got to me.
This self serve may be fine for those who don't have many goods and no heavy items and don't have physical limitations. I am writing to the powers to be, for no other reason than to vent my frustration, and, to declare they are discriminating against folk who just cannot physically manage those STUPID self serves.

I seriously hope they are filming.
Only yesterday, I had to go to the local Coles to pick up a few items some of which were much too large to pick up and scan.
I hope they were filming me chucking a hissy fit and being a sooky lah lah because there was nobody available to help.
Same old chestnut. I should have done the large goods first. I asked, where is the sign that says I have to do that??? This was accompanied by a less than pleasant facial expression targeted for whatever cameras were peering at me.
It took twice as long to complete the purchase than it would have if I had the opportunity to use a manned checkout. There was ONE checkout there, however, the queue was way too long to contemplate and I didn't think it was right to intrude on the line that was 100% full trolleys. So, onward I marched to self-serve determined not to let the mongrels get to me. Didn't work. They got to me.
This self serve may be fine for those who don't have many goods and no heavy items and don't have physical limitations. I am writing to the powers to be, for no other reason than to vent my frustration, and, to declare they are discriminating against folk who just cannot physically manage those STUPID self serves.
I admire your tenacity @MariaG. 👍🏻

It's very simply. Get rid of the self-serve and go back to staff manned checkouts, with a fast lane. It will reduce the amount of thefts and also reduce their technology & surveillance costs. I personally will not use self-serve and don't want to feel like a criminal by being continually watched and filmed. This is an invasion of my privacy. I didn't give them my permission to film me.

Reactions: MariaG
No the cameras do not worry me.. They are there for a reason and I would hope people had more to do. than worry about having their picture taken.

Reactions: Jo Piper3