Aussies divided over delivery etiquette—what do YOU think?

We're always eager to catch the postie when they come knocking with our parcels and letters.

But even if we do happen to be stuck in the shower or out hanging the washing on the line when they do arrive, most of us would walk to the front door with not much thought given to our appearances. After all, we should be at our most comfortable in our homes, right?

Well, according to an etiquette expert, that's not really enough!

It all started with an Aussie man who started a heated debate with his partner when a postie came knocking at the door of their house.

It so happened that this man had been working from home that day—as has been the adjustment of some jobs in the pandemic—and, when a parcel delivery arrived, he decided to open the door and accept it as he was. Sounds simple enough, right?

It is, but for something his partner felt was wrong. You see, he was missing something.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 3.22.47 PM.png
One person's question about delivery etiquette has prompted a heated debate among Aussies. Credit: Shutterstock.

In a post on a forum thread, the man wrote, 'Settle a debate: putting on a shirt to accept a parcel delivery. Yesterday, I (mid-20s male) was working from home and had no meetings, so I was working shirtless in gym shorts.'

'There was a knock on the door from AusPost, so I opened it as I was to accept the delivery. My partner is saying I should've put on a shirt.'

He continued his story: 'I said: “It's fine. I'm only shirtless, and I'm still wearing shorts, and I'm in my own home.” No big deal.'

Naturally, the post sparked an online debate that drew hundreds of comments from fellow Aussies eager to contribute to the discussion. Many argued that his being shirtless when accepting the parcel delivery was completely acceptable.

One user said, 'I would be incredibly shocked if the postie or driver gave a single f*** about whether you are wearing a shirt when you come to the door.’

‘There are far more unpleasant customers out there. As long as you are not abusing them or swearing at them, they're gonna be chill with you.'

Another agreed and shared their experience too, commenting: 'I literally had them knock on the door post-shower, mid shave. I answered the door in my towel with half a face of shaving cream. The delivery lass didn't give a s***, which hurt the ego a bit.'

'Postal worker here. No shirts are almost a daily occurrence, and we don't care either way,' added a third.

Others, however, sided with the partner and argued the opposite.

'I'm a mail lady; I prefer if people are fully clothed when they come to the door,' said one user.

When the debate started to reach fever-pitch, etiquette expert Jo Hayes stepped in to provide an official verdict.

Her advice? Although it's understandable that you want to stay comfy while lounging at home, especially during busy times like these, it doesn't hurt to still 'show respect' when someone comes by to drop off your post.

'If you are going to open the door to anyone, whether it be a neighbour, a postie, a courier, a friend, whoever—make sure you are presentable,' Ms Hayes told a news source.

And her tips for staying presentable while at home? 'Perhaps you've just popped out of the shower, and you're not in a position to greet another human, come to the door, keep it closed and just speak through the door and say: “Can you just leave it on the doorstep?”'

Ms Hayes also warned that these same rules apply to men and women alike, so no one should be caught in any undergarments when they go to take delivery of their items.

'Even for blokes, throw a shirt on. It does a world of good for yourself and the other person,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man sparked a debate online about the appropriate attire for accepting parcel deliveries at home.
  • The man, who was shirtless but wearing shorts at the time, argued that being in his own home made his attire—or lack thereof—acceptable.
  • Most comments supported his viewpoint, stating that postal or delivery workers wouldn't care what customers wear.
  • However, etiquette expert Jo Hayes suggested that being presentable when opening the front door, even to posties or couriers, is a way of showing respect.

While we can't speak for everyone, it's obvious that most people, especially delivery personnel, don't mind residents being shirtless while receiving parcels. However, it's an entirely different conversation if you don't have pants…

Members, what are your thoughts on this topic? Are you in favour of putting on a shirt before meeting a stranger at your door? Or do you believe that being shirtless isn't a big deal? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Fully clothed is probably the correct manner as it doesn't just have to be the postie who might come a knocking. Could also be a friend or someone else on business or maybe even a tradie.
But having said that, my biggest peeve with a delivery is that even though it may say ATL (authority to leave) on the delivery item, they just put the parcel down without knocking or ringing the bell.
Next you receive a text or an email afterwards that says that the parcel has delivered and you have no other knowledge of it.
It can very well be sitting out in the open for up to an hour before receiving such a text or email leaving it open for anyone to come along and steal it.
We're always eager to catch the postie when they come knocking with our parcels and letters.

But even if we do happen to be stuck in the shower or out hanging the washing on the line when they do arrive, most of us would walk to the front door with not much thought given to our appearances. After all, we should be at our most comfortable in our homes, right?

It all started with an Aussie man who started a heated debate with his partner when a postie came knocking at the door of their house.

It so happened that this man had been working from home that day—as has been the adjustment of some jobs in the pandemic—and, when a parcel delivery arrived, he decided to open the door and accept it as he was. Sounds simple enough, right?

It is, but for something his partner felt was wrong. You see, he was missing something.

View attachment 28892
One person's question about delivery etiquette has prompted a heated debate among Aussies. Credit: Shutterstock.

In a post on a forum thread, the man wrote, 'Settle a debate: putting on a shirt to accept a parcel delivery. Yesterday, I (mid-20s male) was working from home and had no meetings, so I was working shirtless in gym shorts.'

'There was a knock on the door from AusPost, so I opened it as I was to accept the delivery. My partner is saying I should've put on a shirt.'

He continued his story: 'I said: “It's fine. I'm only shirtless, and I'm still wearing shorts, and I'm in my own home.” No big deal.'

Naturally, the post sparked an online debate that drew hundreds of comments from fellow Aussies eager to contribute to the discussion. Many argued that his being shirtless when accepting the parcel delivery was completely acceptable.

One user said, 'I would be incredibly shocked if the postie or driver gave a single f*** about whether you are wearing a shirt when you come to the door.’

‘There are far more unpleasant customers out there. As long as you are not abusing them or swearing at them, they're gonna be chill with you.'

Another agreed and shared their experience too, commenting: 'I literally had them knock on the door post-shower, mid shave. I answered the door in my towel with half a face of shaving cream. The delivery lass didn't give a s***, which hurt the ego a bit.'

'Postal worker here. No shirts are almost a daily occurrence, and we don't care either way,' added a third.

'I'm a mail lady; I prefer if people are fully clothed when they come to the door,' said one user.

When the debate started to reach fever-pitch, etiquette expert Jo Hayes stepped in to provide an official verdict.

Her advice? Although it's understandable that you want to stay comfy while lounging at home, especially during busy times like these, it doesn't hurt to still 'show respect' when someone comes by to drop off your post.

'If you are going to open the door to anyone, whether it be a neighbour, a postie, a courier, a friend, whoever—make sure you are presentable,' Ms Hayes told a news source.

And her tips for staying presentable while at home? 'Perhaps you've just popped out of the shower, and you're not in a position to greet another human, come to the door, keep it closed and just speak through the door and say: “Can you just leave it on the doorstep?”'

Ms Hayes also warned that these same rules apply to men and women alike, so no one should be caught in any undergarments when they go to take delivery of their items.

'Even for blokes, throw a shirt on. It does a world of good for yourself and the other person,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man sparked a debate online about the appropriate attire for accepting parcel deliveries at home.
  • The man, who was shirtless but wearing shorts at the time, argued that being in his own home made his attire—or lack thereof—acceptable.
  • Most comments supported his viewpoint, stating that postal or delivery workers wouldn't care what customers wear.
  • However, etiquette expert Jo Hayes suggested that being presentable when opening the front door, even to posties or couriers, is a way of showing respect.

While we can't speak for everyone, it's obvious that most people, especially delivery personnel, don't mind residents being shirtless while receiving parcels. However, it's an entirely different conversation if you don't have pants…

Members, what are your thoughts on this topic? Are you in favour of putting on a shirt before meeting a stranger at your door? Or do you believe that being shirtless isn't a big deal? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
My mum would always say to look decent when you’re in the public eye and I would class opening the door to someone is ‘public eye’ so I’ll always go with my mum’s wisdom…period

Many times I have received my parcel at the front door in my housecoat. WHO CARES...certainly not Postie he is just doing his job..... and I, might add very professionally in my case.

Reactions: Go Cats
What about when you see people in their Pajamas or their dressing gowns. Seen that a few times.🙄 And it's usually younger females. I just shake my head. I mean C'mon, really.🤔
Eeeeew👎I thought that only happened in tasmania common over there 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Observer

View attachment 28892

Key Takeaways

If I am in my nightie when someone comes to the door then that is the way I will answer it. Maybe it depends on your age.

If I am in my nightie when someone comes to the door then that is the way I will answer it. Maybe it depends on your age.
I wouldn’t be seen dead in a nightie let alone at the front door🙀sheer negligee maybe😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Observer
Oh,I agree,answering the door in your dressing gown,Pajamas etc,etc is okay,what I meant in my msg was,seeing people in the supermarket in their Pajamas,dressing gown etc. Have seen it a couple of times.🤔

Reactions: Littleboy8
Eeeeew👎I thought that only happened in tasmania common over there 😂
Oh,no,it happens in Victoria,don't you worry.! And I'm not having a go at the younger girls either but it's mostly them but I did see a guy in his pyjamas a few months back at the service station getting petrol. 🙄😆

Reactions: Littleboy8