Aussies divided over delivery etiquette—what do YOU think?

We're always eager to catch the postie when they come knocking with our parcels and letters.

But even if we do happen to be stuck in the shower or out hanging the washing on the line when they do arrive, most of us would walk to the front door with not much thought given to our appearances. After all, we should be at our most comfortable in our homes, right?

Well, according to an etiquette expert, that's not really enough!

It all started with an Aussie man who started a heated debate with his partner when a postie came knocking at the door of their house.

It so happened that this man had been working from home that day—as has been the adjustment of some jobs in the pandemic—and, when a parcel delivery arrived, he decided to open the door and accept it as he was. Sounds simple enough, right?

It is, but for something his partner felt was wrong. You see, he was missing something.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 3.22.47 PM.png
One person's question about delivery etiquette has prompted a heated debate among Aussies. Credit: Shutterstock.

In a post on a forum thread, the man wrote, 'Settle a debate: putting on a shirt to accept a parcel delivery. Yesterday, I (mid-20s male) was working from home and had no meetings, so I was working shirtless in gym shorts.'

'There was a knock on the door from AusPost, so I opened it as I was to accept the delivery. My partner is saying I should've put on a shirt.'

He continued his story: 'I said: “It's fine. I'm only shirtless, and I'm still wearing shorts, and I'm in my own home.” No big deal.'

Naturally, the post sparked an online debate that drew hundreds of comments from fellow Aussies eager to contribute to the discussion. Many argued that his being shirtless when accepting the parcel delivery was completely acceptable.

One user said, 'I would be incredibly shocked if the postie or driver gave a single f*** about whether you are wearing a shirt when you come to the door.’

‘There are far more unpleasant customers out there. As long as you are not abusing them or swearing at them, they're gonna be chill with you.'

Another agreed and shared their experience too, commenting: 'I literally had them knock on the door post-shower, mid shave. I answered the door in my towel with half a face of shaving cream. The delivery lass didn't give a s***, which hurt the ego a bit.'

'Postal worker here. No shirts are almost a daily occurrence, and we don't care either way,' added a third.

Others, however, sided with the partner and argued the opposite.

'I'm a mail lady; I prefer if people are fully clothed when they come to the door,' said one user.

When the debate started to reach fever-pitch, etiquette expert Jo Hayes stepped in to provide an official verdict.

Her advice? Although it's understandable that you want to stay comfy while lounging at home, especially during busy times like these, it doesn't hurt to still 'show respect' when someone comes by to drop off your post.

'If you are going to open the door to anyone, whether it be a neighbour, a postie, a courier, a friend, whoever—make sure you are presentable,' Ms Hayes told a news source.

And her tips for staying presentable while at home? 'Perhaps you've just popped out of the shower, and you're not in a position to greet another human, come to the door, keep it closed and just speak through the door and say: “Can you just leave it on the doorstep?”'

Ms Hayes also warned that these same rules apply to men and women alike, so no one should be caught in any undergarments when they go to take delivery of their items.

'Even for blokes, throw a shirt on. It does a world of good for yourself and the other person,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man sparked a debate online about the appropriate attire for accepting parcel deliveries at home.
  • The man, who was shirtless but wearing shorts at the time, argued that being in his own home made his attire—or lack thereof—acceptable.
  • Most comments supported his viewpoint, stating that postal or delivery workers wouldn't care what customers wear.
  • However, etiquette expert Jo Hayes suggested that being presentable when opening the front door, even to posties or couriers, is a way of showing respect.

While we can't speak for everyone, it's obvious that most people, especially delivery personnel, don't mind residents being shirtless while receiving parcels. However, it's an entirely different conversation if you don't have pants…

Members, what are your thoughts on this topic? Are you in favour of putting on a shirt before meeting a stranger at your door? Or do you believe that being shirtless isn't a big deal? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Fully clothed is probably the correct manner as it doesn't just have to be the postie who might come a knocking. Could also be a friend or someone else on business or maybe even a tradie.
But having said that, my biggest peeve with a delivery is that even though it may say ATL (authority to leave) on the delivery item, they just put the parcel down without knocking or ringing the bell.
Next you receive a text or an email afterwards that says that the parcel has delivered and you have no other knowledge of it.
It can very well be sitting out in the open for up to an hour before receiving such a text or email leaving it open for anyone to come along and steal it.

We're always eager to catch the postie when they come knocking with our parcels and letters.

But even if we do happen to be stuck in the shower or out hanging the washing on the line when they do arrive, most of us would walk to the front door with not much thought given to our appearances. After all, we should be at our most comfortable in our homes, right?

It all started with an Aussie man who started a heated debate with his partner when a postie came knocking at the door of their house.

It so happened that this man had been working from home that day—as has been the adjustment of some jobs in the pandemic—and, when a parcel delivery arrived, he decided to open the door and accept it as he was. Sounds simple enough, right?

It is, but for something his partner felt was wrong. You see, he was missing something.

View attachment 28892
One person's question about delivery etiquette has prompted a heated debate among Aussies. Credit: Shutterstock.

In a post on a forum thread, the man wrote, 'Settle a debate: putting on a shirt to accept a parcel delivery. Yesterday, I (mid-20s male) was working from home and had no meetings, so I was working shirtless in gym shorts.'

'There was a knock on the door from AusPost, so I opened it as I was to accept the delivery. My partner is saying I should've put on a shirt.'

He continued his story: 'I said: “It's fine. I'm only shirtless, and I'm still wearing shorts, and I'm in my own home.” No big deal.'

Naturally, the post sparked an online debate that drew hundreds of comments from fellow Aussies eager to contribute to the discussion. Many argued that his being shirtless when accepting the parcel delivery was completely acceptable.

One user said, 'I would be incredibly shocked if the postie or driver gave a single f*** about whether you are wearing a shirt when you come to the door.’

‘There are far more unpleasant customers out there. As long as you are not abusing them or swearing at them, they're gonna be chill with you.'

Another agreed and shared their experience too, commenting: 'I literally had them knock on the door post-shower, mid shave. I answered the door in my towel with half a face of shaving cream. The delivery lass didn't give a s***, which hurt the ego a bit.'

'Postal worker here. No shirts are almost a daily occurrence, and we don't care either way,' added a third.

'I'm a mail lady; I prefer if people are fully clothed when they come to the door,' said one user.

When the debate started to reach fever-pitch, etiquette expert Jo Hayes stepped in to provide an official verdict.

Her advice? Although it's understandable that you want to stay comfy while lounging at home, especially during busy times like these, it doesn't hurt to still 'show respect' when someone comes by to drop off your post.

'If you are going to open the door to anyone, whether it be a neighbour, a postie, a courier, a friend, whoever—make sure you are presentable,' Ms Hayes told a news source.

And her tips for staying presentable while at home? 'Perhaps you've just popped out of the shower, and you're not in a position to greet another human, come to the door, keep it closed and just speak through the door and say: “Can you just leave it on the doorstep?”'

Ms Hayes also warned that these same rules apply to men and women alike, so no one should be caught in any undergarments when they go to take delivery of their items.

'Even for blokes, throw a shirt on. It does a world of good for yourself and the other person,' she said.

Key Takeaways

• An Australian man sparked a debate online about the appropriate attire for accepting parcel deliveries at home.
  • The man, who was shirtless but wearing shorts at the time, argued that being in his own home made his attire—or lack thereof—acceptable.
  • Most comments supported his viewpoint, stating that postal or delivery workers wouldn't care what customers wear.
  • However, etiquette expert Jo Hayes suggested that being presentable when opening the front door, even to posties or couriers, is a way of showing respect.

While we can't speak for everyone, it's obvious that most people, especially delivery personnel, don't mind residents being shirtless while receiving parcels. However, it's an entirely different conversation if you don't have pants…

Members, what are your thoughts on this topic? Are you in favour of putting on a shirt before meeting a stranger at your door? Or do you believe that being shirtless isn't a big deal? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
They don’t wait around long enough to get dolled up. I can barely get downstairs before thurs walking off.

Well when it comes to how you dress at and in your own home so far the argament is hypocritall and i say that the manners used at Chermside Westfield is .1 % because no one moves over when your walking along the little mal and i say little mall because my wife is from the Philippines where they have 5 of the biggest shopping mals in the world and yet they still use their manners although Australians hardly use their manners and I dont see any reason why a person on there property should dress any different if some one came to the door and the owner did let them trespass but as for if i was getting a parcel i would ask to get it at the postoffice because of medical i cant always put on a shirt or what ever without pain and some one can always take me to a postoffice in a car and my walking stick so manners are one thing but being considerite to every body is another thing but does link with good manners.
All services or just about want respect but it goes both ways and not all customers have the same health issues.

Reactions: Marj53
when you go out in public I think most seniors dress in an appropriate manner....but many a man will tell you that when at home those rules can change somewhat.....and if I just happen to be wearing a pair of shorts inside and the postie comes to my door well I can tell you now that I won't be running to the bedroom to get a shirt out of my wardrobe to put on before I open the door. I really don't think that he will care too much.

Reactions: 52KID and Observer

View attachment 28892

Key Takeaways

A lot of delivery people won’t wait long enough for someone to make themselves’presentable’. As long as nothing is ‘hanging out’ who really cares?

A lot of delivery people won’t wait long enough for someone to make themselves’presentable’. As long as nothing is ‘hanging out’ who really cares?
I'm with you Lynn.
Posties in our area don't bother to knock. We have an enclosed area around the door, so they know to open the gate, ring the bell and leave it in our special place. Not telling, it's a secret.
As far as opening the door goes, a male answering the door shirtless is no different to being in swimmers.
On the other hand, a female being shirtless is not the right thing to do, for the obvious reason. But, on the other hand, a female in swimmers is the same as a man in swimmers.
Males and females answering bottomless is just too much to take in and the delivery driver might have a crash on the way to his next run.
In summary ... etiquette - schmetiquette.

Quite a few years back, while living just outside of Byron Bay, I knocked on a Neighbours door to give her a parcel that had been accidentally delivered across the road to my address.

An extremely attractive young American woman with long blonde-brown, curly hair past her shoulders, dressed only in a beautiful smile, opened the door while rubbing her hands through her hair. And asked while scratching her behind, who I was and then told me that my neighbour was away for two days.

I handed the package over and left shaking my head. All I could think of saying while walking away, was God bless America.

true story..

Quite a few years back, while living just outside of Byron Bay, I knocked on a Neighbours door to give her a parcel that had been accidentally delivered across the road to my address.

An extremely attractive young American woman with long blonde-brown, curly hair past her shoulders, dressed only in a beautiful smile, opened the door while rubbing her hands through her hair. And asked while scratching her behind, who I was and then told me that my neighbour was away for two days.

I handed the package over and left shaking my head. All I could think of saying while walking away, was God bless America.

true story..
🙀😂😂😂

Reactions: Pink lion
omg, the ones in my area, don't even wait for u to answer the door, never mind wait for you to add clothing ! I've been 5 feet away from the door, answered it immediately & caught them heading back to their vehicle already. Some don't even ring the doorbell. How ridiculous of the wife or anyone else who shares her opinion.

Reactions: Blingupurlife