Aussies discover councils' cashback schemes on these popular products

The rising prices of goods have not been easy to navigate for many. But it has even become more difficult for women to afford the right menstrual products. However, there's a positive development that can offer some relief.

A particular supermarket item is now eligible for a 50 per cent rebate, thanks to a recent initiative by councils across Australia.

At least 22 councils across five states and territories have offered homeowners up to $130 cashback on reusable menstrual products, such as period underpants.

This initiative is part of a broader push towards sustainability and reducing waste, as these products are not only cost-effective but also environmentally friendly.

compressed-shutterstock_1923592958.jpeg
Councils offer a 50 per cent rebate on reusable menstrual products. Credit: Unsplash

Major supermarket chains have jumped on board, stocking a wide range of period briefs in-store and online.

These products are priced between $11 and under $38 in both Coles and Woolworths. However, with the available rebates, ratepayers can stock up for 50 to 100 per cent off the retail price.

The news has taken social media by storm, with many users expressing surprise and delight at the discovery of the rebate scheme.

'What a fantastic incentive,' one user commented, while another added, 'Wow, I had no idea.'

Despite the enthusiasm, many are questioning why this scheme isn't more widely publicised.

'So good to know, why isn't anyone publicising this?' one user asked.

To find out if your local council is part of the scheme, you can check Rebately’s website for more information.

Here's a list of some of the councils currently offering rebates on reusable menstrual items:

Screenshot 2024-01-30 131532.png

If you want to stretch your budget more this year, you may also want to learn about other’s top money-saving tips!

In a social media post, one Australian bargain hunter revealed the nine money-saving strategies he will use this 2024. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• At least 22 councils across five states and territories in Australia are offering rebates on reusable menstrual products.
  • Shoppers can get up to $130 cashback on items such as period underpants, available at supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths.
  • With the rebates offered, ratepayers could potentially acquire these products at a 50 to 100 per cent discount.
  • Social media users expressed surprise and appreciation for the rebate scheme, though some wished it was more widely publicised.
While these products may not be what you typically include in your weekly grocery shop, feel free to share this article with the women in your family, such as your friends, daughters or granddaughters, or those who would benefit from knowing that this discount exists!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
The best part of my day is reading your emails and finding out all sorts of useful information like this. My council apparently is involved in this scheme and I never knew. Thank you so much for sharing this information.😊

I thought this was a senior's sight. This is an antiquated method. When you're at school or work what are you supposed to do with used items.
I had the unfortunate experience of a male teacher wanting to search everyone's bags in class in 3rd year.
I wouldn't let him due to item I had to store in my bag. I was canned and sent to the principal's office.
Thanks to the female admin I was saved further embarrassment and punishment.
Don't want this for my granddaughters. Find a better way to dispose of these items and subsidize disposable items for young women. :mad:

My daughter the nurse was just at mine and she said that using these are unhygienic. She said that alot of homeless women do use these and they should be removed from shelves due to causing severe infection.

Maybe the government should make all products for menstruation for all women free. Having a period is never a luxury or something we want

I have never heard of such a rediculous Wokey waste of Money ,Councils are responsible for the three RRRs Roads, Rates and Rubbish ,Someone has to Pay for this and its not the Self serving Communist Overpaid Councillers nor their Companies , nor the Billionares running the Supermarket Monopolies holding Us all to Ransom , instead Force Supermarkets to bring down the cost of essential Items and improve the Product to be envirometally friendly ,Once upon a Time Women washed and resused Mentrual Pads like most things back in the Day they were reused recycled or fixed ,We live in a Chuck Out Society nowadays and this must Stop it destroys Our Natural World and fills the Corporates Greedy Pockets

I have never heard of such a rediculous Wokey waste of Money ,Councils are responsible for the three RRRs Roads, Rates and Rubbish ,Someone has to Pay for this and its not the Self serving Communist Overpaid Councillers nor their Companies , nor the Billionares running the Supermarket Monopolies holding Us all to Ransom , instead Force Supermarkets to bring down the cost of essential Items and improve the Product to be envirometally friendly ,Once upon a Time Women washed and resused Mentrual Pads like most things back in the Day they were reused recycled or fixed ,We live in a Chuck Out Society nowadays and this must Stop it destroys Our Natural World and fills the Corporates Greedy Pockets
I suppose they don't call the Communists the Reds for nothing....

I do not want my council rates used for this purpose. Females need to be responsible for their own personal products now just as I was when I needed to use them. No one paid for mine. There is waaaay too much money being wasted by councils & governments.

Just remember folks, it's not Government Funded it's Taxpayer Funder" with the councils this is another reason your rates will rise as again it's funded by Rates Etc.