Aussies’ uproar over Iced VoVo biscuits: ‘Boy was I disappointed’

Who doesn't have fond childhood memories of sharing a packet of Iced VoVos with their mates at school?

Not to mention the countless backyard cricket games enriched with the added delight of Iced VoVos during afternoon tea.

This snazzy yet classic biscuit from Arnott's, which has graced households since 1906, undoubtedly holds a special place in the hearts of Aussies everywhere.

So when one social media user posed the question, ‘What the h*** [had] happened?’ to Arnott’s Iced VoVos—the community waited with bated breath.

Iced Vovo.jpg
At Woolworths, Arnott's Iced VoVo Biscuits (210g) are priced at $4. Image source: Woolworths

The consensus was clear: deep disappointment.

Many believed that the iconic Iced VoVos had declined in quality and size over the years, not to mention an overall decrease in taste.

‘I haven’t had one for ages [at] least a decade,’ the user wrote.

‘On a whim, I bought a pack. Boy, was I disappointed.’

‘Everything Arnott’s has touched has been murdered,’ another vented.

‘Orange Creams have less cream and taste stale, Shortbread Creams taste sickly and fake, Monte Carlos has red and white hardened glue instead of filling, Kingston’s are like 30 per cent crumbs, Delta creams just taste wrong, Nice, I wish they were.’

‘I don’t mind an Iced Vovo every now and then, but they do seem smaller these days,’ another chimed in.

‘And the coconut and jam seems much firmer and less off than I remember them being originally.’

247111955_5100196343329793_2269260859285447401_n.jpg
Arnott's has shared a recipe using their Iced Vovo biscuits: an Iced VoVo ice cream sandwich. Image source: Facebook (@ArnottsBiscuits)

‘I also had one after a long gap and completely lost my s**t. It’s like they hate us,’ a third added.

Some have claimed that Arnott's biscuits haven't maintained their original quality since the company's acquisition by the American investment firm, KKR, in 2019.

However, in response to the mounting criticism, a representative from Arnott’s insisted that the Iced VoVo’s recipe and size remain unchanged.

‘We know Iced VoVo biscuits are a much-loved product amongst Australians, and we are consistently listening to our consumers to ensure our products meet high-quality standards,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Our Iced Vovo biscuits continue to be made by our wonderful team in Marleston, South Australia, who have been delivering the same delicious recipe of smooth fondant, sweet raspberry jammy flavoured topping, and a sprinkle of coconut all on a delicate golden biscuit that Aussies have loved for decades.’

‘As well as the recipe, the biscuit size of our Iced VoVo has stayed the same in recent years.’

Arnott's sold to KKR for $3.2 billion

Private equity firm KKR acquired the renowned biscuit manufacturer Arnott’s, as well as other assets of Campbell Soup Company’s international operations, in a transaction valued at $3.2 billion.

This deal came after an 11-month auction and included the sale of assets such as Arnott’s biscuits and Campbell’s meal and snacking brands across the Asia Pacific region.

The acquisition also encompasses manufacturing facilities and distribution channels in countries like Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Japan.

Arnott's, renowned for its iconic offerings like Tim Tam and Scotch Finger, records the majority of sales for Campbell International.

David Lang, a representative from KKR, highlighted the significance of acquiring Arnott’s for the firm.
Key Takeaways

• Aussies have taken to social media to express dismay over perceived alterations in the quality of Arnott’s Iced VoVos biscuits.
  • The primary concerns revolve around an alleged decrease in the biscuits' size and taste.
  • Some believe the biscuits haven't been the same since the company was sold to American investment company KKR in 2019.
  • A spokesperson for Arnott's has insisted the recipe and size of Iced VoVo biscuits has not changed.
Members, when did you last enjoy an Iced VoVo biscuit? Have you noticed any differences? Share your observations in the comments below!

Sponsored
Who doesn't have fond childhood memories of sharing a packet of Iced VoVos with their mates at school?

Not to mention the countless backyard cricket games enriched with the added delight of Iced VoVos during afternoon tea.

This snazzy yet classic biscuit from Arnott's, which has graced households since 1906, undoubtedly holds a special place in the hearts of Aussies everywhere.

So when one social media user posed the question, ‘What the h*** [had] happened?’ to Arnott’s Iced VoVos—the community waited with bated breath.

View attachment 32420
At Woolworths, Arnott's Iced VoVo Biscuits (210g) are priced at $4. Image source: Woolworths

Many believed that the iconic Iced VoVos had declined in quality and size over the years, not to mention an overall decrease in taste.

‘Orange Creams have less cream and taste stale, Shortbread Creams taste sickly and fake, Monte Carlos has red and white hardened glue instead of filling, Kingston’s are like 30 per cent crumbs, Delta creams just taste wrong, Nice, I wish they were.’

‘I don’t mind an Iced Vovo every now and then, but they do seem smaller these days,’ another chimed in.

‘And the coconut and jam seems much firmer and less off than I remember them being originally.’

View attachment 32419
Arnott's has shared a recipe using their Iced Vovo biscuits: an Iced VoVo ice cream sandwich. Image source: Facebook (@ArnottsBiscuits)

‘I also had one after a long gap and completely lost my s**t. It’s like they hate us,’ a third added.

Some have claimed that Arnott's biscuits haven't maintained their original quality since the company's acquisition by the American investment firm, KKR, in 2019.

However, in response to the mounting criticism, a representative from Arnott’s insisted that the Iced VoVo’s recipe and size remain unchanged.

‘We know Iced VoVo biscuits are a much-loved product amongst Australians, and we are consistently listening to our consumers to ensure our products meet high-quality standards,’ the spokesperson said.

‘Our Iced Vovo biscuits continue to be made by our wonderful team in Marleston, South Australia, who have been delivering the same delicious recipe of smooth fondant, sweet raspberry jammy flavoured topping, and a sprinkle of coconut all on a delicate golden biscuit that Aussies have loved for decades.’

‘As well as the recipe, the biscuit size of our Iced VoVo has stayed the same in recent years.’

Private equity firm KKR acquired the renowned biscuit manufacturer Arnott’s, as well as other assets of Campbell Soup Company’s international operations, in a transaction valued at $3.2 billion.

This deal came after an 11-month auction and included the sale of assets such as Arnott’s biscuits and Campbell’s meal and snacking brands across the Asia Pacific region.

The acquisition also encompasses manufacturing facilities and distribution channels in countries like Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Japan.

Arnott's, renowned for its iconic offerings like Tim Tam and Scotch Finger, records the majority of sales for Campbell International.

David Lang, a representative from KKR, highlighted the significance of acquiring Arnott’s for the firm.
Key Takeaways

• Aussies have taken to social media to express dismay over perceived alterations in the quality of Arnott’s Iced VoVos biscuits.
  • The primary concerns revolve around an alleged decrease in the biscuits' size and taste.
  • Some believe the biscuits haven't been the same since the company was sold to American investment company KKR in 2019.
  • A spokesperson for Arnott's has insisted the recipe and size of Iced VoVo biscuits has not changed.
Members, when did you last enjoy an Iced VoVo biscuit? Have you noticed any differences? Share your observations in the comments below!
Arnott’s biscuits are 💩from by gone year's smaller ,tasteless ,and a rip off multinational companies buy these companies and destroy them all for profit 📈 I've been buying the ALDI brand biscuits now and cheaper flavour wise they are okay 👍

My brother was friends with members of the original Arnotts family back in the 60s as they lived locally on the Central Coast and used to bring a box of biscuits home every week. And I have great memories of a train ride to Sydney when passing by the Arnotts factory and the yummy smell of baking

View attachment 32420

View attachment 32419

Key Takeaways

Arnott’s biscuits are 💩from by gone year's smaller ,tasteless ,and a rip off multinational companies buy these companies and destroy them all for profit 📈 I've been buying the ALDI brand biscuits now and cheaper flavour wise they are okay 👍
Most of Arnott biscuits now are tasteless and getting smaller time to boycott Arnotts and give them a message we are not happy with what they are doing to our iconic bikkies.

Haven't had an Iced Vo-Vo since I was six. Bad experience.

At lunchtime, a crowd of kids were gathered around a poor kindergarten girl who pooped herself. I had a look and the smell made me spew...

...all over the kid in front's back. Full of Iced Vo-Vos.

Enjoying breakfast are we? 😈

Last edited:

View attachment 32420

View attachment 32419

Key Takeaways

An other Aussie icon gone to overseas! Is there any left? Maybe we should change the name of the our country to Asia/America land. Minerals, dairy, groceries and biscuits, is there anything left?

It used to be marshmallow and raspberry jam, not fondant and topping.

View attachment 32420

View attachment 32419

Key Takeaways

Once family run companies are sold off to be multi-national profit based companies the heart and sole of providing quality for their customer base disappears. Arnotts are just another example. I have not had Arnotts biscuits for some years and bought some the other day, had a bite and the rest in the bin. I prefer to use my local family run old fashioned cake shop. They care for their product and their customers. It is no wonder people come from miles around to purchase their cakes. It is a shame that this happens.

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
As with most products these days, manufacturers have for many years reduced either size or quantity of many many products without dropping the price to suit each product. Called downsizing, but still having the same price to purchase. A perfect example are Saladas. I have always been somewhat partial to these. You buy a box with a twin pack onside. Each separate twin pack holds 9 slices. There was a time that they had 10 slices in each packet but suddenly, quietly, and very sneakily without telling anyone, they reduced them down to 9 but didn't reduce the price. If anything since the reduction, the price has actually gone up a little bit as well. The cost of purchasing a box won't kill me but it's not the point. Saladas are only one example. Over the more recent years there have been lots of products that have been downsized while the prices have been put up at the same time.

View attachment 32420

View attachment 32419

Key Takeaways

Iced Volvo is my favourite, but the quality has definitely deteriorated in the last few years. The marshmallow is not soft and spongey and the biscuit is too thin and smaller. Not what we used to enjoy.

Since the 'Takeover', Arnott's biscuits have lost their well earned past reputation for Quality and Taste, not to mention the size factor.....it's a terrible shame that this once proud Australian Company is no longer considered worthy of carrying the famous reputation that it was previously admired for. 😥