Aussie woman's bathroom item sparks online mystery – can you guess what it is?

After seeing a photo of an unusual shower fixture that was discovered in an Aussie woman's bathroom, hundreds of people on social media were left scratching their heads.

Mina, who just moved into her place, uploaded the picture to an online community in the hopes that someone could offer some insight into the function of this rather mysterious bathroom fixture.

"It slopes down, and it doesn't really hold a soap bar," she said.

What could it be and what is it used for? Do you have any idea, folks?

WOTcCsGRvEZW-ja8I0nGwcmWQRiw38wmAKPj5k3IBy-RB3EvzZZghNP7SK28owXsBXbhxDUBHtkqbb9Ui3JlJt_J-FkzgSCSxp1ry7lR9HidcT0YN5gQUkRWD-ScXHu3BfuixG3qXgHdWDXet2Q

People on social media are baffled by an unusual fixture in a woman's bathroom. Credit: Facebook.

The shower item, which seemed to be made from ceramic material, also caused confusion among the members of the Facebook group, with many of them admitting that it was the first time they'd seen anything of the sort.

A lot of other members agreed with the person who said the object resembles a "soap holder that has been installed upside down." They assumed that the reason it looks odd is because the constructors most likely installed it incorrectly.

But in spite of the many suggestions that were mentioned, there was not a single answer that could be confirmed – not until much later, after some users did more thorough research.

After more information about the product was gathered, it turned out that the mysterious item was actually a footrest, which would be useful when shaving your legs.

In the past, particularly in the 1990s, footrests were a very common fixture in bathrooms. After that, however, there was a gradual decline in interest, with fewer and fewer households wanting to install the gadget.

"That seems to be a ceramic footrest, which was popular in the 1970s to 1990s but is now less popular today," said a spokesperson for Beaumont Tiles, a bathroom products company.

"They are designed for those shaving their legs to prop their foot on for stability and balance so they don’t slip while shaving."

wFtLnzUDAB_rbU_A-3ECOWR_AuiEqbZ6zQgieH3EyWoUX6TBmUaw1xAzvOoLfT9EsR8jHiuFXnhWZChUBtZPbGgBi6DtcvL78QXcPKKnwhT_6JmdpH1nxhTSI96Qb6XVn3ow2Iqf1LOjDYP8JKA

The thing was confirmed to be a footrest, which is useful for shaving your legs. Credit: news.com.au.

In the comments section of the Facebook post, many users expressed their amazement at the discovery of what the shower accessory really is and what it does.

"Wow, amazing and so random to have!" said the person who made the post on Facebook. Another chimed in and added, "This was all the rage in the 1990s."

Other users, meanwhile, couldn't resist the opportunity to make jokes now and then, with some of them suggesting that the footrest could be used for "things" other than shaving your legs.

"It's there to help you have some fun shower time…" quipped one user.

Well… there you have it, folks! It's actually a bathroom footrest. We have to admit that we have never seen one of these before, so this information was very surprising to us!

Did you get it right? Better yet, ever had a shower with one of these in it?

Sponsored
I
Should be a fixture in all showers really. I miss mine.
I have one in my shower but its broken. Is there some way I can replace The Tile? Could I do it myself or do I have to be a Plumber ?? It seems now everything has to expensive labour trees job. Do us ex old tradesman have to ripped off!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
We had one in our shower, built in early 1980s. That house burnt down and when we rebuilt these were no longer available. I miss it everyday - was so easy to give feet a good scrub. Now I'm old and scrubbing the feet is difficult.

After seeing a photo of an unusual shower fixture that was discovered in an Aussie woman's bathroom, hundreds of people on social media were left scratching their heads.

Mina, who just moved into her place, uploaded the picture to an online community in the hopes that someone could offer some insight into the function of this rather mysterious bathroom fixture.

WOTcCsGRvEZW-ja8I0nGwcmWQRiw38wmAKPj5k3IBy-RB3EvzZZghNP7SK28owXsBXbhxDUBHtkqbb9Ui3JlJt_J-FkzgSCSxp1ry7lR9HidcT0YN5gQUkRWD-ScXHu3BfuixG3qXgHdWDXet2Q

People on social media are baffled by an unusual fixture in a woman's bathroom. Credit: Facebook.

The shower item, which seemed to be made from ceramic material, also caused confusion among the members of the Facebook group, with many of them admitting that it was the first time they'd seen anything of the sort.

A lot of other members agreed with the person who said the object resembles a "soap holder that has been installed upside down." They assumed that the reason it looks odd is because the constructors most likely installed it incorrectly.

But in spite of the many suggestions that were mentioned, there was not a single answer that could be confirmed – not until much later, after some users did more thorough research.

After more information about the product was gathered, it turned out that the mysterious item was actually a footrest, which would be useful when shaving your legs.

In the past, particularly in the 1990s, footrests were a very common fixture in bathrooms. After that, however, there was a gradual decline in interest, with fewer and fewer households wanting to install the gadget.

"That seems to be a ceramic footrest, which was popular in the 1970s to 1990s but is now less popular today," said a spokesperson for Beaumont Tiles, a bathroom products company.

"They are designed for those shaving their legs to prop their foot on for stability and balance so they don’t slip while shaving."

wFtLnzUDAB_rbU_A-3ECOWR_AuiEqbZ6zQgieH3EyWoUX6TBmUaw1xAzvOoLfT9EsR8jHiuFXnhWZChUBtZPbGgBi6DtcvL78QXcPKKnwhT_6JmdpH1nxhTSI96Qb6XVn3ow2Iqf1LOjDYP8JKA

The thing was confirmed to be a footrest, which is useful for shaving your legs. Credit: news.com.au.

In the comments section of the Facebook post, many users expressed their amazement at the discovery of what the shower accessory really is and what it does.

"Wow, amazing and so random to have!" said the person who made the post on Facebook. Another chimed in and added, "This was all the rage in the 1990s."

Other users, meanwhile, couldn't resist the opportunity to make jokes now and then, with some of them suggesting that the footrest could be used for "things" other than shaving your legs.

Well… there you have it, folks! It's actually a bathroom footrest. We have to admit that we have never seen one of these before, so this information was very surprising to us!

It’s to rest your foot on to scrum

Reactions: Ricci

It’s to rest your foot to scrub

Yes I have one in my shower but it's chrome. I've also had the ceramic ones in other houses I've lived in.

I had one until just recently when I had my bathroom renovated. I really miss it.

Reactions: Ezzy

My parents had one in the shower in their new en suite bathroom in the early 1950s.

Our home was built in 2004 / 2005 & we have one in our shower, but not so my wife can shave her legs but rather so we can rest a foot on to wash a foot or leg. Great for any person especially, over 60's or anyone who has trouble bending down. Never thought of using it 'for other activities.'

I

I have one in my shower but its broken. Is there some way I can replace The Tile? Could I do it myself or do I have to be a Plumber ?? It seems now everything has to expensive labour trees job. Do us ex old tradesman have to ripped off!!
These are relatively easy to replace.
1. Rake out the grout around this first, if not you stand a chance of breaking tiles around it.
2. Carefully break this up using perhaps hammer & small cold chisel.
3. Once removed, remove the cement which held this in place initially. Only take cement back to brickwork!!
4. With a small mix of 3 parts sand & 1 cement or if you have it, Tile Cement mixed to the consistency of toothpaste, cover the back of your tile to a thickness of approx 6mm & push into position until the sides are level with surrounding tiles. Use a prop between the floor & the underside (until dry - 1 day).
5. Immediately remove as much as possible, any cement which has come up the sides - without moving the tile.
6. You may need masking tape or similar horizontally & vertically ON THE EDGES ONLY to hold in place while it dries (1 day) & remove.
7. KEEP THIS DRY! If you need to use the shower cover the area with plastic taped to the wall but remove when finished to allow curing to continue.
8. Day 3, grout around the edges & allow this to dry following instructions for 7). above if the shower is needed.

I hope this is of assistance to you Busdriver BOB. Just put something on the floor first. This really is an easy job which you can do yourself in approx 1 max for the removal & about 15 mins for grouting (grout in, let it dry 5 mins & smooth off & clean surface with an almost dry cloth). [for a small job like this l use a finger or thumb flat against the tile to smooth off the grout first].

Have fun my friend.

Reactions: terri
Who didn't know that? A footrest in the shower is essential. REALLY! How else do you manage to shave your legs ladies. If you do it without one you must be an acrobat. My hubby has installed one in every bathroom, in every house we've owned during our 40 years together and believe me that's quite a lot.

I

WHAAT.....has a plumber got to do with a ceramic foot rest....anyone with 1 eye and half a brain could fix it