Aussie TV personality stirs up controversy with bold remarks on Parisian culture!

In the world of high-profile sports commentary, unexpected and bold statements often stir up controversy.

Recently, a prominent Australian media personality has made headlines with provocative remarks about France, sparking a flurry of reactions from fans and critics alike.

This latest incident has added another layer to the ongoing discourse about the intersection of media, sports, and public opinion.

At a time when diplomacy and cultural sensitivity are often the cornerstones of international relations and public discourse, Australian television personality Karl Stefanovic has thrown caution to the wind with a scathing critique of France—the very nation that will host the upcoming Olympics.

Known for his often candid and unfiltered opinions, Stefanovic has made headlines once again, this time for branding the French as ‘pompous’, ‘up themselves’, and ‘sexually weird’.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 113010.jpg
Karl Stefanovic has stirred controversy with remarks calling France and its people ‘weirdos’, ‘sexually weird’, and ‘pompous’. Credit: Instagram / karl stefanovic

While soaking up the Parisian lifestyle as part of his work with Channel 9, Stefanovic's experience in the City of Light seems to have left a less-than-luminous impression on him.

During a conversation with the Kyle and Jackie O Show, he didn't mince words when describing his host country.

‘The French are weirdos. The French are complete weirdos. We all know that,’ he declared.

‘They’re kind of a weird nation, sexually.’

The conversation took a turn when host Jackie Henderson inquired whether Stefanovic had attempted to speak the local language, to which he responded with a dismissive attitude, ‘Do you know what? I've stopped trying. I don't really like them that much.’

‘They’re so rude. Oh, they’re really up themselves…they’re pompous. They do a good burger, though. I do like the burgers and stuff over here.’

Stefanovic, who is staying in Airbnb-sponsored accommodation with his wife Jasmine and daughters Harper and Willow, mentioned that he felt like he turned into a complete bogan while abroad.

He hosted the opening ceremony and found it strange how tightly the details were kept under wraps but confessed he enjoyed the ‘blue Smurf with his aggots hanging out’.

‘I mean, it just doesn’t get better,’ he added.

Despite his criticisms, it appears the Stefanovic family has been enjoying the finer aspects of French culture, including dining at the upscale Girafe Restaurant, an experience for which Jasmine expressed gratitude to Channel 9 on social media.

This public display of luxury, however, was not without its detractors, especially in light of recent redundancies at the network, leading to some critical comments that were swiftly removed.

The family also indulged in the quintessential tourist experience with a day at Euro Disney, while Jasmine and her sister Jade attended swimming and other Olympic events.

While Karl Stefanovic’s recent comments about France stirred up quite a reaction, his outspoken nature doesn’t stop there.

His tendency to make bold and controversial statements also led to some eyebrow-raising claims about notable figures before, including a false assertion about former US President Barack Obama last year.

As we dive into this latest controversy, it’s clear that Stefanovic’s knack for stirring the pot continues to capture public attention.
Key Takeaways
  • Karl Stefanovic, a television presenter for Channel 9, has made provocative remarks about France, describing the country and its people as ‘weirdos’, ‘sexually weird’, and ‘pompous’.
  • Despite enjoying his time in Paris, Stefanovic expressed his disdain for the French, noting their rudeness and stating that he had stopped trying to speak French.
  • He shared some of his peculiar experiences and observations while staying in France, including his hosting of the opening ceremony and a notable moment involving a ‘blue Smurf’.
  • Criticisms emerged in response to social media posts showing the luxurious lifestyle enjoyed by Stefanovic and his family in France, especially in contrast to job cuts at Channel 9, triggering negative feedback from some followers.
As members of the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the importance of respecting cultural differences and the value of experiencing new cultures with an open mind. Travel, after all, is about broadening horizons, not reinforcing stereotypes.

We encourage our readers to share their own travel experiences and how they navigated the rich tapestry of global cultures. Have you ever found yourself in a cultural misunderstanding while abroad? How did you handle it? Let's discuss in the comments below and remember to approach our global neighbors with kindness and curiosity.

Sponsored
My sister and her family included Paris on an overseas trip a few yrs ago and she said that throughout all their travels around the world, the French people top the list for rudeness. No one in her family speaks French & she said a lot of places have signs in the windows that state 'We have English speaking personnel to help you", so they would go into these places only to have the staff ignore them and/or walk away when asked something in English. She said that the only way to get someone to speak English to them and serve them was to ask to speak to the Manager in very loud and angry voices.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Well they've come here, not vice versa. If they plan to live here then they should learn to speak English.
And if, as you say, they are good at languages, then that shouldn't be a problem.
My point is (not clearly expressed) is that when we have tourists here, they are expected to speak a little English (or if you like 'Orstraylan') but when we visit other countries the reverse applies, they are expected to understand us??? double standard?

My point is (not clearly expressed) is that when we have tourists here, they are expected to speak a little English (or if you like 'Orstraylan') but when we visit other countries the reverse applies, they are expected to understand us??? double standard?
I thought English was the language most commonly spoken in most countries.
1.5 billion, compared to
1.1 Billion Mandarin/Chinese.

They don't understand anything do they?,lol.
Too true, many stories abound re language problems like the one where a French pilot was bitching having to talk to his own control tower in English (English being the world wide language for such things) another pilot (US) commented, during the war we didn't need to talk..... history lesson, as you can gather I'm old lol.

That’s nothing compared to the hatred most Aussies have for Americans. The venom against the “yanks” is vicious. Karl was quite tame about the French.
I disagree entirely.. "venom" rubbish it's all in good fun. If you can't cop a ribbing then you are maybe un- Australian.. LOL

I disagree entirely.. "venom" rubbish it's all in good fun. If you can't cop a ribbing then you are maybe un- Australian.. LOL
I assure you I’m definitely NOT un-Australian. I’m not going to bore you and other readers with my history. (I wasn’t born in America and have never been an American.) I’m all for “good fun” may be true to you and possibly others, which I can appreciate, but many Aussies loathe Americans because it’s the Aussie way.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
We’ll?!?…..Let’s hear it. (I’m sure I’ve heard it all before.) You’ve heard my views @Veggiepatch.
My reply: “….many Aussies loathe Americans because it’s the Aussie way.” (I know this for a fact from the early 70’s.)
You gave that a “Like”, @Veggiepatch.
I’ve still not heard from you. Would you care to elaborate as to why Americans are despised so much on an individual basis?
Actually, don’t bother. I’m a Canadian born Australian citizen and proud of who I am. My children and grandchildren are all Australian citizens and proud of who we are.
I’m fed up with the anti-American f*ckng bull sh*t that so many people wish to subscribe to that don’t understand. Ignorance is no excuse.

I assure you I’m definitely NOT un-Australian. I’m not going to bore you and other readers with my history. (I wasn’t born in America and have never been an American.) I’m all for “good fun” may be true to you and possibly others, which I can appreciate, but many Aussies loathe Americans because it’s the Aussie way.
From experience of Americans in Australia I have witnessed numerous instances of Americans tourists making total arseholes of themselves. Talkine themselves up as if they they were god's gift to the world.

Only to watch themselves drown in a sea of self importance.

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM
From experience of Americans in Australia I have witnessed numerous instances of Americans tourists making total arseholes of themselves. Talkine themselves up as if they they were god's gift to the world.

Only to watch themselves drown in a sea of self importance.
You don’t think that tourists from other countries aren’t thought of the same way?
Maybe even Australians? It’s a wide world out there. Americans aren’t the only ones.
I’ve travelled to places that I was too embarrassed to speak English because of the bad impression that was given

Being French I'll have to refrain to make a comment on that Australian weirdo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, However when in Japan, asking direction for a "Big Buddha"in Kamakura I received blank looks, was ignored... Decided to put my brains into gear and remembered they call it Daibutsu... surprise surprise got directions immediately (this to explain why when you ask for the - " I "fell Tower - in Paris you are extremely likely to get blank stares...we call it - Tour E (i) fell =;) . Sydney is fortunate Opera is Opéra

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinylted and DLHM