Aussie shopper slammed for her ‘inappropriate’ attire in supermarket - do you agree?

An Aussie woman’s video of her shopping in her gym clothes has gone viral on TikTok, sparking a heated debate about whether her attire was ‘appropriate’ or not.

nu-jGfO4-dW_uS7oXvQ1jsFJoYvTN3IublMDpoQw-mrlCFMO6VzBRMhmzKsirRnHBd5tr9IXSUYhEoj-A2CfLM3jyhMIa0tUOXbYuC5drQ-8DQz8Jd1zhih7cK6jdY6UV6V9O0of

A woman said she received ‘uncomfortable’ looks when she wore her gym clothes to the supermarket. Credit: TikTok/@sopheallen.

Sophie Allen, a fitness influencer and a certified personal trainer from Sydney, shared her video on TikTok, showing her grocery shopping at Woolies in her workout clothes.

“The hate you get being a female wearing a crop top in the supermarket just hits different,” she wrote, expressing that women still have to endure judgment from people because of their clothing choices.

In the clip, Sophie can be seen wearing a tight-fitting black sports top paired with purple workout leggings. She said she regularly gets ‘disapproving’ looks from fellow shoppers by merely walking down the grocery aisles.

“It happens anytime I go into a supermarket after a training session in my crop top. It’s so disappointing that in 2022 women are still being judged for their choice in clothing,” said the 31-year-old gym goer.

“It feels frustrating that we’re still expected to look, behave and present ourselves in a certain way to be deemed ‘acceptable’ by society.”

The TikTok video, now with over 1.8M views on the platform, sparked a heated debate among its viewers, arguing whether Sophie was in the wrong or not.

“Just throw on a damn shirt when going in public. The gym is one place, but going into a grocery store like that is another,” one person wrote.

Another person who is against the idea of wearing something so revealing in public said: “It’s like wearing a bathing suit to the movies. The outfit just doesn’t match the location.”

A third person agreed, saying, “It might be because you’re treating a public space like a private space. Have respect for other people when you’re out. It’s not all about you.”

Others also pointed out the difference between a ‘crop top’ and a ‘sports bra’, and Sophie might have been mistaking which is which.

However, many other TikTok users, mostly women, defended Sophie from the backlash.

“If wearing a sports bra makes someone uncomfortable, they are the problem,” wrote one person. Another chimed in and said, “She’s just hot – that’s why you have a problem.”

One woman commented and shared her similar experience, saying: “Omg YES! I feel so uncomfortable, but at the same time, what can I do? If I have to do groceries after the gym, I won’t change just for it.”

Sophie also responded to another woman’s comment and said, “If a man did this, it would be fine.”

Do you agree with Sophie? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Aussie shopper slammed for her ‘inappropriate’ attire in supermarket - do you agree?

An Aussie woman’s video of her shopping in her gym clothes has gone viral on TikTok, sparking a heated debate about whether her attire was ‘appropriate’ or not.

nu-jGfO4-dW_uS7oXvQ1jsFJoYvTN3IublMDpoQw-mrlCFMO6VzBRMhmzKsirRnHBd5tr9IXSUYhEoj-A2CfLM3jyhMIa0tUOXbYuC5drQ-8DQz8Jd1zhih7cK6jdY6UV6V9O0of

A woman said she received ‘uncomfortable’ looks when she wore her gym clothes to the supermarket. Credit: TikTok/@sopheallen.

Sophie Allen, a fitness influencer and a certified personal trainer from Sydney, shared her video on TikTok, showing her grocery shopping at Woolies in her workout clothes.

“The hate you get being a female wearing a crop top in the supermarket just hits different,” she wrote, expressing that women still have to endure judgment from people because of their clothing choices.

In the clip, Sophie can be seen wearing a tight-fitting black sports top paired with purple workout leggings. She said she regularly gets ‘disapproving’ looks from fellow shoppers by merely walking down the grocery aisles.

“It happens anytime I go into a supermarket after a training session in my crop top. It’s so disappointing that in 2022 women are still being judged for their choice in clothing,” said the 31-year-old gym goer.

“It feels frustrating that we’re still expected to look, behave and present ourselves in a certain way to be deemed ‘acceptable’ by society.”

The TikTok video, now with over 1.8M views on the platform, sparked a heated debate among its viewers, arguing whether Sophie was in the wrong or not.

“Just throw on a damn shirt when going in public. The gym is one place, but going into a grocery store like that is another,” one person wrote.

Another person who is against the idea of wearing something so revealing in public said: “It’s like wearing a bathing suit to the movies. The outfit just doesn’t match the location.”

A third person agreed, saying, “It might be because you’re treating a public space like a private space. Have respect for other people when you’re out. It’s not all about you.”

Others also pointed out the difference between a ‘crop top’ and a ‘sports bra’, and Sophie might have been mistaking which is which.

However, many other TikTok users, mostly women, defended Sophie from the backlash.

“If wearing a sports bra makes someone uncomfortable, they are the problem,” wrote one person. Another chimed in and said, “She’s just hot – that’s why you have a problem.”

One woman commented and shared her similar experience, saying: “Omg YES! I feel so uncomfortable, but at the same time, what can I do? If I have to do groceries after the gym, I won’t change just for it.”

Sophie also responded to another woman’s comment and said, “If a man did this, it would be fine.”

Sophie someone people will never change, so you wore your Gym clothes big deal you had clothes on good on you. I've seen all lot worst where I live. I am 60yr old there's nothing wrong with what you wore.

If you don’t like the stares then cover up or don’t go in that shop, simple !!!

Reactions: Ricci
I see men (and women) enter supermarkets wearing work clothes - normally hi-viz vests/jackets and shorts, and painters still wearing paint-spattered shirts and shorts, plus the occasional labourer in their dirt-smeared clothing and muddy boots. Goodness knows how many others entered wearing "work-clothes" (and by the way, many young women on the Gold Coast enter stores wearing swimwear including bikinis). We have not yet entered the state of the Walmart memes (although an occasional photo of someone shopping in onesies or pyjamas does emerge every so often), so in what way do people JUDGE this outfit to be inappropriate?
Should we go back to suits, dresses , hats and makeup as we see in nostalgic posts of the second half of last century?

I find her claims of “dirty looks” hard to believe in a country as tolerant as Aussie. But, if I may say so, given her rather generous proportions emphasised by her clothing choice, she can do with a bit more exercise.

The only thing is if you have been to the gym wouldn't you feel fresher putting on a liitle clean top. I agree women should be able to wear what they like. But without drawing attention to themselves.

• Wow
Reactions: Gaena and Yanellio
Good on her, I wear my workout stuff if I shop after a workout. I wish I was young enough to wear a crop top. Lots of people wear their dirty work clothes, mud, paint, grease, is that better??

Reactions: Gaena and Yanellio
better than seeing men with great big beer bellies wearing skin tight shirts that dont reach their trousers and the trousers can't go over their belly........and even better than seeing teenage boys wearing jeans below their undies!