Aussie senator's controversial post about King Charles sends shockwaves through social media

In the digital age, social media has become the battleground for political statements and public outcry, with every post potentially sparking a national conversation or controversy.

This was certainly the case for a prominent Australian politician, whose social media page became the centre of a heated debate following the sharing of a contentious image involving King Charles III.

As discussions about personal rights and public personas continue to unfold, this incident serves as a reminder of the complexities involved in navigating fame and public image in the digital age.

Independent Senator Thorpe, known for her outspoken advocacy on Indigenous rights, found herself at the heart of a social media storm when a cartoon depicting a decapitated King Charles III was posted on her social media page’s story.

The graphic image, which was accompanied by the text ‘You are not our king,’ echoed the sentiments Thorpe vocalised during a protest in Parliament House in Canberra.

464042575_18271276909217542_6778509632215544537_n.jpg
Independent Senator Lidia Thorpe deleted a controversial image from her social media, which she alleged had been shared without her approval. Credit: Facebook / Senator Lidia Thorpe

‘Earlier tonight, without my knowledge, one of my staff shared an image to my Instagram stories created by another account,’ Thorpe explained on her social media page.

‘I deleted it as soon as I saw.’

‘I would not intentionally share anything that could be seen to encourage violence against anyone,’ she added.

The senator's demonstration was as bold as it was polarising, with her cries of ‘give us our land back’, ‘not your land’, and ‘you are not my king. You are not our king,’ reverberating through the Great Hall.

She also urged the king to ‘give us a treaty’ and was heard saying, ‘f*** the colony’ before security ultimately removed her.

The protest itself was a significant moment, capturing the attention of all present and quickly becoming a topic of national conversation.

Thorpe's actions were met with a spectrum of reactions, from those who lauded her as ‘legendary’ for her audacity to stand up for Indigenous sovereignty to others who condemned the disruption as disrespectful.

Among the critics was former Indigenous senator and Olympian Nova Peris, who said she was ‘deeply disappointed’ at what she considered an embarrassing and disrespectful display during what should have been a respectful event.

‘Her outburst, which disrupted what should have been a respectful event, was both embarrassing and disrespectful to our nation and the Royal Family,’ Peris wrote on social media.

As tensions flared during the protest, the royal visit continued to captivate the attention of the public, with King Charles and Queen Camilla charming Australian crowds.

While Senator Lidia Thorpe’s outburst highlighted the ongoing discussions around Indigenous rights and representation, the royal couple’s warm reception underscored their commitment to fostering positive relations with the community.

This juxtaposition of protest and celebration illustrates the complex dynamics at play during their visit, reminding us of the diverse perspectives that shape our nation’s narrative.
Key Takeaways
  • Independent Senator Lidia Thorpe deleted a contentious image that was shared on her social media page without her approval, reportedly showing a cartoon of King Charles III's decapitated head.
  • The senator had protested during King Charles' speech in Parliament House in Canberra, making headlines with her actions and vocal opposition.
  • The image shared on Thorpe's social media page included the phrase ‘You are not our king’, echoing her comments made during the protest in the Great Hall.
  • While Thorpe has received both praise and criticism for her demonstration, she stated she does not endorse violence and that the post did not reflect her values.
We invite our readers to share their thoughts on this matter. How do you feel about the use of social media by public figures to make political statements? Do you believe Senator Thorpe's protest was effective in raising awareness, or do you think it crossed a line? Join the discussion in the comments below and let us know your perspective on the intersection of politics, protest, and social media etiquette.

Sponsored
Many years ago an Indigenous girl I was friends with at school made the comment that a few were going to give them a bad reputation and make it unpleasant for others. It seems in many cases her predictions were right. She also maintained she was not stolen - she was saved. A good education, healthy food, a clothing alowance.....and away from a drunken abusive father. One of her sisters was at the same home. They loved it there. They loved the "house parents" who pretty much treated them the same as their own children.
I was continuously bullied at school for months until my friend eventually got angry about it and called them a "bunch of white pigs" because they also threatened to bash me up. They respected me after that. For months she kept apologising to me for what she said to the others. I thanked her for "sticking up" for me. I reported it before the bullies could and explained the reason why it happened. The teachers agreed with me and monitored our section of the school yard more after that.
A great piece of information thankyou

Reactions: PattiB
I admire Lidia Thorpe for standing up f[r what she believes in, and for her people. Could she have done so in another way? In the midst of the extravagant adulation accorded the King and Queen of England, it's difficult to see how.

What strikes me as particularly unfortunate is that the media is spending time and energy discussing Senator Thorpe's actions but, as ever, ignoring her *message*. Perhaps if the media were more attentive to Indigenous matters Lidia Thorpe might not have needed to act as she did.

As to using social media, I think it's legitimate, but with caveats. Make the post considered and intelligible. Don't proceed with raw passion, and resist impulse: sleep on the contentious and controversial. If it survives the "Sleep Test," post and be damned!
Time to take away all the handouts and freebies and jobs kept aside for these people… which we are paying for any way. Lidia Thorpe is am illiterate, uncouth, oaf of a woman with maybe 1 percent native blood.

Reactions: Kayer02 and Isis
What an embarrassment she is to this country and to her people. Im really tired of the entitlement given to people like her. I'm a born and bred Australian and this whole welcome to country crap is getting really boring . I don't need to be welcomed to my own country by the likes of her or anyone else.

Unfortunately our PM is too weak to do anything, Pauline Hanson has asked for her to be moved away from her in parliament because of her constant bullying, but he can’t even do that, we need a PM who looks after people not one who looks after bullying, disgraceful senators..
Does the PM actually have the power to sack people from Parliament when they don’t belong to his own party? She was elected on the Greens ticket & is now independent so I very much doubt it. I’m sure Veggie will know.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Does the PM actually have the power to sack people from Parliament when they don’t belong to his own party? She was elected on the Greens ticket & is now independent so I very much doubt it. I’m sure Veggie will know.
Apparantely they can’t according to the other senators they interviewed on the news 😊

I often sit & think about our past history. Yes, there were a few questionable occurrences, most of which reflected the times. Colonisation was inevitable sooner or later. It is good that it was done by the British rather than the Spanish or Portuguese (think about what happened to the Mayas & Astecs) The Convicts didn’t enjoy life much either.

Reactions: relljube
Time to take away all the handouts and freebies and jobs kept aside for these people… which we are paying for any way. Lidia Thorpe is am illiterate, uncouth, oaf of a woman with maybe 1 percent native blood.
So wish she could make her message known in parliament rather than this way that has engendered such dislike for both her and the message she is trying to put forward.

Anyone else would've been arrested for that... such despicable and juvenile behaviour!
Maybe she should put HER head on another, more suitable, type of throne!!!!

Reactions: Larcol
You are disgrace Lidia, have your opinion by all means but DO NOT speak your thoughts for the general populations of Australia. I do hope though that you enjoy all your benefits that you receive from the Australian Government and Australian Tax payers.... Get some manners and keep your opinions too yourself...

Reactions: relljube
I would not intentionally share anything that could be seen to encourage violence against anyone,’ "BULLSHIT" if you were born a North American Indian, your name would have been "LYING COW"
Guess you must be responding to something I missed. But I didn’t see violence against her.

When 'manners' were handed out and taught, she was hiding behind the door and said 'no don't need or use them'. I wonder what the people who elected her to the Senate are thinking about THEIR REPRESENTATIVE sitting in the Senate. She is there on their behalf and speaking for them. She is living the 'high life, come pay-day, her hand is 'out with the rest of them.' Everyone has, in a democracy, the right to free speech, that was just plain and simply rude... If I was to do something similer at an Aboriginal gathering I would be arrested and charged. See, I'm and Aussie also, just like her except, 'some Aussies are special.'

Looking at Lidia Thorpe and many genetic part Aboriginals from a 200-plus-year-old ancestral liaison with a British, Irish or similar first of the white settlers person. and subsequent future generations, predominantly caucasian based.
I see a light-skinned more European woman with her appearance. I do not dispute her bloodline. It is a fact.
Many ( I know a few) claim they also have Aboriginal blood and welcome to the assets provided.
The proof is not always clear, but their acceptance is. But the fact is the bloodlines of all blended nationalities cannot claim they are of one blood.
I wonder if we all, who shared blood with other countries in our genetic bloodline, could claim we are Irish, French, or whatever they relate to the best and be able to claim some more 'apologies' for what happened over 200 years later, that we had nothing to do with and, like all countries colonised by others through tribal decimation, always by some form of atrocities, it is the history of all nations.
Some protesters need to be noticed that, even though their objectives have been achieved, they want more, creating more negative than positive responses to their agenda.
I sense Lidia is doing well at making many of either race feel embarrassed with her choice of unacceptable public persona. She considers her input to further the recognition of what is already recognised.
The ongoing Indigenous customs we have been aware of for so long and expected to respect for their differences to be part of our future as well as current perspectives.
Most abhor the acts of any man who is violent by nature.
How this country was originally taken over by the British wars was barbaric, but now it is history.
Keeping aspects of that foul history alive is not productive.
Other decimating ongoing wars are continuously still happening in other countries, but not here.
Live peacefully in this very multicultural country, where a high percentage of people have had no ancestral connection to past Australian colonisations.