Aussie responds to shaming from users after being called a ‘1950s housewife’ for preparing three meals for her husband

It’s definitely evident that times have changed. Something considered perfectly normal decades ago can easily spark an angry, virtual mob of people nowadays – but where do we draw the line?

A loving wife faced tons of backlash after regularly posting what she includes in her husband’s lunchbox each morning before he goes to work.

Sonali Arora decided to pick up a new hobby in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 26-year-old started learning how to cook new recipes and she wasn’t shy about sharing her food creations on TikTok, including the meals that she whips up for her partner every day.

Amid her cooking journey, Sonali accumulated over 45,000 TikTok followers who adored and supported the passion she developed for cooking.

“My TikTok is just to promote fun and easy recipes that I cook. I want to help others gain ideas,” she said.

“I have received mostly positive comments where people get inspiration for their own lunches or meals. I share recipes so people can try to recreate them, that’s always positively received,”

But the newlywed couple, who just tied the knot earlier this year, wasn’t entirely safe from being criticised by hundreds of users online.

yRfA33NpI58bHw1lq_mAhgVXs8LpbX7w5R4aa3l41ThuhxEep3bN2a15LZosktjzdY2Vwhb3GrCPwJ4aOaD-Qm7hnrDUBI7EqqLQ-cwGUtiEx0b3w3eXSQXqHIaRWKrP_YkERb970AbZN_n4sMs
Vx9r0W1_0neCO2s4mvDZzYgdK7NCdNKiyBk4GbQRxX8RyUHuolVJcZHIqmcEarcUuA2kBuFjs7CRYTpy8dPlD5tl3bSjwO3wwimauCVteIzRyZypGFx5Mdt6ySgSSftazmk8jsBNVal1lk1JRBU

The newlywed couple. Image Credit: 7News

“There is a negative side to TikTok where people attack me and my husband without knowing us or our relationship dynamic, which is wild because they base the judgement off a 15 to 60-second video clip,” Sonali detailed.

“I have been told that I am destroying feminism – that I am behaving like a ‘1950s housewife’. People are asking if my husband is a baby and are deeming him a misogynist which is completely untrue and far from the truth,”

“Some people even have an issue with the portion sizes when they don’t have any idea what’s going on. People don’t see that we split all the chores at home and our relationship is very 50-50.”

Sonali said that she explored making a variety of international cuisines including Italian, Mexican, Korean, and Chinese dishes when her city was placed on a stage-four lockdown.

So when the situation started improving and her husband was set to return to work, she offered to prepare his meals as a way to express her love and save money.

“I just do it out of love. I volunteered to do it. It was never really a conversation,”

“Since my husband goes to work three to four times a week, it made sense to pack his lunches to help us save money since life is getting so expensive these days,”

“I enjoy cooking for him because it’s my love language. My husband is honestly the most supportive and kind person I know, and that is why I go the extra mile for him,”

lu5x9288G-4TyiQL3xB_XiiQP4HcLRIKmQJXTiPKGsYYZXKfs3n0DREN7dmOSO7b69TCpeHY9z3YgwLzz6HOVZceM4b4fJK_4dpTvYpLlAUXj_4On_R2NH7wkccGKpejnPQ6prtvDaGxvkoADkM
iPxogj274SXN8ebUMUdMwIdllOdkvUbpEpiRPFegXA9J7CYhEzmStAe_kvtOimYfsF54AY0HbDspL8nYfbW3lz6bzOsTuduI87A0sDvihkdEM3dQkWfQmr2H4lCfesCofz_OMlsPN0OXFWj-6Mo

The thoughtful meals Sonali makes for her husband. Image Credit: @sonali.arora_xx

Sonali went on to explain that she’s fortunate enough to have more time to prepare all their meals since she’s working remotely.

“His job is very stressful compared to mine, so if I can help him out in terms of eating healthy or consistently every day then that will be great,” she added.

“I am not being told to cook for my husband three times a day or to pack his lunches, it is my love language and that’s why I do it,”

“He can equally do it, but he doesn’t need to when he has me who volunteers and enjoys cooking,”

Sonali shared that she regularly experiences being ridiculed for merely cooking for her husband.

“I do feel upset and I tend to delete lots of comments and block trolls. But when videos go viral it’s hard to control or navigate because the notification feed is constantly flooded,”

“I try not to let the comments impact me but sometimes they do, sometimes I’ll clap back but I try not to feed into the negativity as much as I can - because at the end of the day this is my choice, I am just doing something I love,”

Video Credit: @sonali.arora_xx

“It was never meant to be about my personal relationship dynamic or to be attacked for doing something kind. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all,”

Despite all the backlash, plenty of users sided with the couple, with one saying: “Nice! Your husband is a lucky guy. Keep up the good work and don’t worry about the haters – they’re just jealous.”

“This is so sweet, I love packing lunch for my man so he can save money and enjoy a good meal. I don’t know why people are so salty (salty is a millennial term for being resentful).” added another.

“I love that you make him lunch. This is how you show him love. It’s not for everyone.” wrote a third.

A fourth commented: “To all the stupid hate comments. Some women actually enjoy cooking for their husbands and that’s how they show love and appreciation.”

“They look amazing! I don’t understand why people are so worked up because you enjoy making lunch for your husband. I hope he enjoyed it.” one more commented.

Do you agree that Sonali’s ‘love language’ has hints of misogyny? Or are people overanalysing her preferred way of showing affection? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Want to catch more glimpses of Sonali’s homecooked dishes? Watch the video below:

Sponsored
As far as her packing his lunches, whatever works for a couple/family is for them to decide. Like many of these things, the problem I see is the addiction to publicity via social media. If you make details of everyday life public, expect criticism as well as praise.

I have packed a lunch box for my husband for years, no hot meals as he works out doors so no access to a kitchen for reheating but i do pre cook chook drumsticks for him to eat cold, which he really enjoys, some of his co workers will spend more than $40.00 a day on their lunch, usually purchased from a deli, so my little bit of effort saves us quite a lot and it makes him feel appreciated and loved as well, especially the little treats like cake and/or chocolate bars.

If you post on social media you have to take the good with the bad.
My daughter inlaw was a stay at home mum who insisted my son help with bathing kids and house work even if he worked 12 hour days in building. Nothing wrong with dad spending time bathing kids and reading to them , but I gave always told my kids if you are at home and hubby is working then you need to do the housework and have a hot meal on the table , he cuts the grass.
If you both are working then both need to equally cook n clean
If my standards are a 50s housewife ( born in the 60s) then I'm proud of it

It’s definitely evident that times have changed. Something considered perfectly normal decades ago can easily spark an angry, virtual mob of people nowadays – but where do we draw the line?

A loving wife faced tons of backlash after regularly posting what she includes in her husband’s lunchbox each morning before he goes to work.

Sonali Arora decided to pick up a new hobby in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 26-year-old started learning how to cook new recipes and she wasn’t shy about sharing her food creations on TikTok, including the meals that she whips up for her partner every day.

Amid her cooking journey, Sonali accumulated over 45,000 TikTok followers who adored and supported the passion she developed for cooking.

“My TikTok is just to promote fun and easy recipes that I cook. I want to help others gain ideas,” she said.

“I have received mostly positive comments where people get inspiration for their own lunches or meals. I share recipes so people can try to recreate them, that’s always positively received,”

But the newlywed couple, who just tied the knot earlier this year, wasn’t entirely safe from being criticised by hundreds of users online.

yRfA33NpI58bHw1lq_mAhgVXs8LpbX7w5R4aa3l41ThuhxEep3bN2a15LZosktjzdY2Vwhb3GrCPwJ4aOaD-Qm7hnrDUBI7EqqLQ-cwGUtiEx0b3w3eXSQXqHIaRWKrP_YkERb970AbZN_n4sMs
Vx9r0W1_0neCO2s4mvDZzYgdK7NCdNKiyBk4GbQRxX8RyUHuolVJcZHIqmcEarcUuA2kBuFjs7CRYTpy8dPlD5tl3bSjwO3wwimauCVteIzRyZypGFx5Mdt6ySgSSftazmk8jsBNVal1lk1JRBU

“There is a negative side to TikTok where people attack me and my husband without knowing us or our relationship dynamic, which is wild because they base the judgement off a 15 to 60-second video clip,” Sonali detailed.

“I have been told that I am destroying feminism – that I am behaving like a ‘1950s housewife’. People are asking if my husband is a baby and are deeming him a misogynist which is completely untrue and far from the truth,”

“Some people even have an issue with the portion sizes when they don’t have any idea what’s going on. People don’t see that we split all the chores at home and our relationship is very 50-50.”

Sonali said that she explored making a variety of international cuisines including Italian, Mexican, Korean, and Chinese dishes when her city was placed on a stage-four lockdown.

So when the situation started improving and her husband was set to return to work, she offered to prepare his meals as a way to express her love and save money.

“I just do it out of love. I volunteered to do it. It was never really a conversation,”

“Since my husband goes to work three to four times a week, it made sense to pack his lunches to help us save money since life is getting so expensive these days,”

“I enjoy cooking for him because it’s my love language. My husband is honestly the most supportive and kind person I know, and that is why I go the extra mile for him,”

lu5x9288G-4TyiQL3xB_XiiQP4HcLRIKmQJXTiPKGsYYZXKfs3n0DREN7dmOSO7b69TCpeHY9z3YgwLzz6HOVZceM4b4fJK_4dpTvYpLlAUXj_4On_R2NH7wkccGKpejnPQ6prtvDaGxvkoADkM
iPxogj274SXN8ebUMUdMwIdllOdkvUbpEpiRPFegXA9J7CYhEzmStAe_kvtOimYfsF54AY0HbDspL8nYfbW3lz6bzOsTuduI87A0sDvihkdEM3dQkWfQmr2H4lCfesCofz_OMlsPN0OXFWj-6Mo

The thoughtful meals Sonali makes for her husband. Image Credit: @sonali.arora_xx

Sonali went on to explain that she’s fortunate enough to have more time to prepare all their meals since she’s working remotely.

“His job is very stressful compared to mine, so if I can help him out in terms of eating healthy or consistently every day then that will be great,” she added.

“I am not being told to cook for my husband three times a day or to pack his lunches, it is my love language and that’s why I do it,”

“He can equally do it, but he doesn’t need to when he has me who volunteers and enjoys cooking,”

Sonali shared that she regularly experiences being ridiculed for merely cooking for her husband.

“I do feel upset and I tend to delete lots of comments and block trolls. But when videos go viral it’s hard to control or navigate because the notification feed is constantly flooded,”

“I try not to let the comments impact me but sometimes they do, sometimes I’ll clap back but I try not to feed into the negativity as much as I can - because at the end of the day this is my choice, I am just doing something I love,”

“It was never meant to be about my personal relationship dynamic or to be attacked for doing something kind. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all,”

Despite all the backlash, plenty of users sided with the couple, with one saying: “Nice! Your husband is a lucky guy. Keep up the good work and don’t worry about the haters – they’re just jealous.”

“This is so sweet, I love packing lunch for my man so he can save money and enjoy a good meal. I don’t know why people are so salty (salty is a millennial term for being resentful).” added another.

“I love that you make him lunch. This is how you show him love. It’s not for everyone.” wrote a third.

A fourth commented: “To all the stupid hate comments. Some women actually enjoy cooking for their husbands and that’s how they show love and appreciation.”

“They look amazing! I don’t understand why people are so worked up because you enjoy making lunch for your husband. I hope he enjoyed it.” one more commented.

Do you agree that Sonali’s ‘love language’ has hints of misogyny? Or are people overanalysing her preferred way of showing affection? Share your thoughts with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Want to catch more glimpses of Sonali’s homecooked dishes? Watch the video below:

Good on her for doing something she loves. I also think her husband appreciates what she makes him. People need to get a life and stop attacking others for their choices.

Good on her, that's so lovely. People should mind their own business if they don't like it. How could they not love it? It has nothing to do with others or their insecure issues. Even if she was not working and just did it for her husband...what's wrong with that?

All the boasting on social media is a bit like seeking thanks for volunteering for me - why do it? Just keep your private life private & don't let the left hand know what the right is doing and all that - as my grandmother always said. All the attention seeking, the airing of 'dirty linen' in public, the obsession with 5 minutes of fame - it's so damaging - both to the people doing it & to society!