Aussie real estate agent's 'strange' act rattles grieving family

It can be incredibly difficult to deal with the passing of a loved one. In addition to the grief, there are also a lot of logistics and legalities to sort out as well.

This process can be overwhelming, so much so that some people take advantage of bereaved families during this time by trying to push them into making hasty decisions about what to do with their late relative's property.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case for one grieving daughter, who shared her story recently on social media.

The Aussie woman shared her recent experience on Reddit, a popular social media site. She said that her mum was approached by a real estate agent who asked if she was interested in selling her home.

Her mum declined, citing the recent passing of her husband. In just a few hours, however, her mum felt ‘unnerved’ to receive a bouquet at her address sent by the real estate agent.

‘I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your husband,’ the note attached to the bouquet read.

flowers.jpg
The bouquet was sent to the mum’s address a couple of hours after talking to the property agent. Credit: Reddit

‘It’s a nice gesture, but it’s just really strange to me,’ said the daughter in her post.

Other Reddit users said that the family was right to feel rattled. Many who have backgrounds in real estate told the woman that sending flowers to a grieving family was a common but ‘slimy’ tactic among real estate agents.

‘I started working in real estate in the early 2000s and my boss would trawl through the obituary section of the paper every day for leads. So gross,’ one shared.

The original poster replied to this and said: ‘My father's death was posted to any obituaries so I think she just got cold called due to high interest in the area and when she told them about my father they jumped onto the opportunity.’

She added that the whole thing feels ‘super weird’ to her and that all the gesture did was make her mum feel worse.

flowers2.jpg
Sending sympathy flowers is apparently a common tactic among real estate agents. Credit: SHVETS production/Pexels

Another recalled how, when they lived with their grandparents, the letters they received from real estate agents ‘increased exponentially’ the older their grandparents got.

Someone else described how they observed their boss going through death notices and ‘assigned’ deceased people to random staff members for a follow-up.

Others told the original poster to write a review that describes how the property agent ‘preyed’ on her mum. But one commented that some real estate businesses change names twice in a year to ‘avoid potential customers seeing the negative reviews of their dodgy practices’.

Some claimed that maybe the property agent was just actually being nice and felt genuinely sorry for the family’s loss. ‘Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill,’ they added.

But most weren’t convinced and fully believe that this gesture was just a ploy. ‘Act like they cold-called her, then act shocked that he died. Send the flowers as a “nice gesture”, and your mum will say “what a nice real estate agent”,’ one replied.

‘They are obviously hoping that you guys will keep them in mind if/when the time comes to sell,’ someone added.
Key Takeaways

• A grieving daughter has blasted a real estate agent over a gesture that she said left her mother even more upset in the wake of her husband’s death.
  • The daughter alleges that the agent sent her mother a bouquet of flowers with a note attached which read: ‘I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your husband.’
  • A number of Reddit users with backgrounds in real estate have confirmed that sending death flowers is a common, albeit slimy, tactic.
What can you say about this story, members? Do you think the property agent was genuinely being nice or was there an ulterior motive behind their gesture? Comment down your thoughts!

Sponsored
My husband sold houses for years and this was one act he saw and refused to be a participant to.

Such a low and scummy act

There are so many more things that realestate agents do.

What my husband always did was when he signed up a listing and only after he signed he would give a bottle if wine and box of chocolates or a hamper

People loved him because he was always sincere and honest. And they would refer their friends and relatives to him

We both worked in sales , he sold houses, I sold wedding dresses and our motto had always been Honesty is the best policy

It can be incredibly difficult to deal with the passing of a loved one. In addition to the grief, there are also a lot of logistics and legalities to sort out as well.

This process can be overwhelming, so much so that some people take advantage of bereaved families during this time by trying to push them into making hasty decisions about what to do with their late relative's property.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case for one grieving daughter, who shared her story recently on social media.

The Aussie woman shared her recent experience on Reddit, a popular social media site. She said that her mum was approached by a real estate agent who asked if she was interested in selling her home.

Her mum declined, citing the recent passing of her husband. In just a few hours, however, her mum felt ‘unnerved’ to receive a bouquet at her address sent by the real estate agent.

‘I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your husband,’ the note attached to the bouquet read.

View attachment 10337
The bouquet was sent to the mum’s address a couple of hours after talking to the property agent. Credit: Reddit

‘It’s a nice gesture, but it’s just really strange to me,’ said the daughter in her post.

Other Reddit users said that the family was right to feel rattled. Many who have backgrounds in real estate told the woman that sending flowers to a grieving family was a common but ‘slimy’ tactic among real estate agents.

‘I started working in real estate in the early 2000s and my boss would trawl through the obituary section of the paper every day for leads. So gross,’ one shared.

The original poster replied to this and said: ‘My father's death was posted to any obituaries so I think she just got cold called due to high interest in the area and when she told them about my father they jumped onto the opportunity.’

She added that the whole thing feels ‘super weird’ to her and that all the gesture did was make her mum feel worse.

View attachment 10338
Sending sympathy flowers is apparently a common tactic among real estate agents. Credit: SHVETS production/Pexels

Another recalled how, when they lived with their grandparents, the letters they received from real estate agents ‘increased exponentially’ the older their grandparents got.

Someone else described how they observed their boss going through death notices and ‘assigned’ deceased people to random staff members for a follow-up.

Others told the original poster to write a review that describes how the property agent ‘preyed’ on her mum. But one commented that some real estate businesses change names twice in a year to ‘avoid potential customers seeing the negative reviews of their dodgy practices’.

Some claimed that maybe the property agent was just actually being nice and felt genuinely sorry for the family’s loss. ‘Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill,’ they added.

But most weren’t convinced and fully believe that this gesture was just a ploy. ‘Act like they cold-called her, then act shocked that he died. Send the flowers as a “nice gesture”, and your mum will say “what a nice real estate agent”,’ one replied.

‘They are obviously hoping that you guys will keep them in mind if/when the time comes to sell,’ someone added.
Key Takeaways

• A grieving daughter has blasted a real estate agent over a gesture that she said left her mother even more upset in the wake of her husband’s death.
  • The daughter alleges that the agent sent her mother a bouquet of flowers with a note attached which read: ‘I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your husband.’
  • A number of Reddit users with backgrounds in real estate have confirmed that sending death flowers is a common, albeit slimy, tactic.
What can you say about this story, members? Do you think the property agent was genuinely being nice or was there an ulterior motive behind their gesture? Comment down your thoughts!
They are scum 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I say slime all; we all know agents routinely mass mail localities to try and pick up potential sales but this case is just predatory. A simple apology for troubling the lady at this time and condolence is all that should have been necessary. Flowers are over the top!
Flowers are just a tactic to keep his details in her mind when it comes to selling. I bet there was a business card attached to the flowers.

I would not worry unless he kept this up, l think that was just him being sorry for you and trying to make up a bit after upsetting you.

Reactions: Ricci
I spent some time as a real estate agent and it was a common thing at the agency I worked at. The slang for that was "coffin chasing". I would never take part in that as I think it is morally wrong but then the owner of the agency had no morals. One of the reasons I quit as I was not prepared to do some of the things he expected from me because I wanted to help people, not rip them off manipulate. Honesty is paramount. If everyone would live like that the world would be a better place.

I've already made my will and in accordance with my late husband wishes the house is to be kept in the family name as it has been since 1956. The family member who will take over the property will pay the others their dues, no if's or buts.

I've already made my will and in accordance with my late husband wishes the house is to be kept in the family name as it has been since 1956. The family member who will take over the property will pay the others their dues, no if's or buts.
If no family member wants to take on the property then you have set up an enormous bun fight. :rolleyes:

That’s pretty harsh- they’re just doing their job most of the time. I know some great property sales people- not every one does these gross things so don’t blame the individual- it’s the industry that needs more regulation!
Any industry that pays their employees on a commission only basis is bound to have some who will employ every dirty trick in the book to get a Sale, they have to survive so think that even the lowest tricks are OK

Reactions: DrivingGirl
I had a valuation on our home, needless to say, even knowing my husband had passed away kept sending emails to BOTH OF US, regarding future interest in selling the house.
After 3 or 4 emails my 'dear deceased husband sent an email'.
To whom it may concern, stop sending 'if we are interested' etc.. my wife is not selling now or in the near future'.
I am dead!

A sincere apology was sent to me, no more problems & no more evaluations.
That was 9 years ago.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena
They are scum! My good friend who is a real estate advocate HATES them. He always ran his real estate office with the utmost integrity. Those 'low-life' crooks hate him because he names and shames them.

View attachment 10337

View attachment 10338

Key Takeaways

I offered to buy my parent's house, but first I told them to get a government evalaution then we could go from there, also they lived in the house rent-free till the inevitable end. I paid all utilities, gas. electricity and rates and upkeep etc. And my old man thought I was being shifty.

• Wow
Reactions: Gaena