Aussie mum’s unbelievable Costco haul sparks conversations on social media

With the increasing cost of living, many people strive to save money through various strategies to stretch their budgets and maintain financial stability.

This means exploring alternative places to buy everyday essentials like groceries. Many are turning to discount stores, farmer's markets, or buying bulk from wholesalers to maximise their purchases.

An Aussie mum's recent social media revelation has sparked a heated debate on the value of wholesale shopping versus traditional supermarket trips.

Louise Gibson, a 29-year-old Victorian mum, took to social media to showcase her impressive Costco haul.

She compared the prices of her finds to those at Woolworths, and the results were nothing short of eye-opening.

‘If you're not shopping at Costco, then this price comparison is going to show you why you really need to be,’ Gibson said.

unnamed (22).png
Savvy shopping secrets shared on social media by an Aussie mum. Credit: @thatmoneymum / TikTok

Gibson's video highlighted some significant savings on everyday items.

For instance, she pointed out that a pack of eight Kleenex Tissues at Costco costs $19.49, which is $2.43 per box.

In contrast, Woolworths sells the same single box for $3.00.

The savings extend to other essentials too, like toilet paper, where Costco's 60-roll pack at $29.50 (49 cents per roll) beats out Woolworths' 24-roll pack for $13.50 (56 cents per roll).

With Infuzions Veggie Straws, Costco charges $1.60 for one snack, significantly lower than Woolworths, which charges $4.78 per snack.

For Coke cans, Costco offers 34 cans for $32.99, compared to Woolworths' price of $47.20 for the same quantity.

Costco also sells a pack of six 500g bottles of Leggo Bolognese Sauce for $14.99, averaging $2.50 per bottle, while Woolworths charges $4.30 per 500g bottle.

Costco's 120-pack of Libra Ultra Thin Regular Pads costs $20.99, approximately 17 cents per pad, whereas Woolworths sells a 10-pack for $6.40, equating to 64 cents per pad.

These comparisons highlight how Costco generally offers lower per-unit prices, making it a more economical choice for bulk purchases.

Gibson carefully plans shopping to avoid purchasing items her family might not consume before expiration.

Eggs and yoghurt, for example, are on her skip list when shopping at the wholesale store.

However, not everyone is convinced. Some commenters on the social media video raised concerns.

‘Plus the $100 of fuel to get there and the $60 for the membership.’ one person commented.

‘I feel like the savings aren't enough to warrant the subscription price, it doesn't even out,’ another said.

Gibson responded, ‘We find it does—however, if you know another family who wants to shop there, you could always share one with them and half the cost.’

‘Most of those items go on sale at half price, so it’s definitely cheaper at Woolies if you are shopping efficiently,’ a third person added.

‘We found for 90 per cent of stuff, it was cheaper to buy it on sale at Coles/Woolies,’ one person noted.

You can watch Gibson’s video here:

Credit: @thatmoneymum / TikTok

In another retail update, Costco in Australia and New Zealand saw a significant sales increase last year, demonstrating strong performance during a period of economic strain.

Based on sales volume, its shopping membership became the largest in Australia. More information is available here.

Also, feel free to explore our Deals, Discounts, and Bargains forum for the latest offers.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mum demonstrated the cost savings of shopping at Costco as compared to Woolworths through a social media video.
  • She highlighted significant price differences on multiple items, including household essentials and groceries.
  • Some commenters on the mum's post were sceptical and pointed out that the savings might not offset the cost of Costco membership and travel.
  • Despite divided opinions, the mum advocated for smart shopping by avoiding bulk purchases of perishable items and claims substantial savings in the long run.
Have you found shopping at Costco saves you money? Do you prefer to stick with traditional supermarkets? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Shopping at Cosco is OK if you live close enough for convenience, shop regularly for more than 1 or 2 people, have room to store bulk items, and the amount you save covers the annual fees charged by Costa to be a member. I live 50 klms away from my nearest Cosco store so it a no go for me.

The first time we shopped at Costco about 10 years ago we definitely saved more than the $60 joining fee on the one shop. Good for families or small food businesses, but you really need to know your price per item, as not everything is cheaper.

Reactions: terri
My wife is amazing at remembering prices for various items. She finds that not all things are cheaper at Costco, especially if you buy things on sale at Coles and Woolworths. We find petrol to be significantly cheaper at Costco. So we combine our Costco shopping with purchasing petrol from Costco at the same time.

Reactions: wendell
It's all great if you have a lot of money to lay out and plenty of storage, most people have trouble living from week to week. You can do the same shopping in other supermarkets, buy half price ad stock up slowly. Be mindful of use by dates, and don't buy stuff you don't need. :)
PS, don't forget you have to save the membership fee, before you save anything.

How about you do a cost per item comparison between Costco and Aldi. I bet Aldi would still come out tops

I can't comment on Cosco but I can tell you I do a 160km round trip to Aldi each fortnight and I save more than the cost of fuel. Add savings from other stores cheaper than my local shops and the savings are well worth the trip. On average prices are 10% more in our local shops than the next town.

Shopping at Cosco is OK if you live close enough for convenience, shop regularly for more than 1 or 2 people, have room to store bulk items, and the amount you save covers the annual fees charged by Costa to be a member. I live 50 klms away from my nearest Cosco store so it a no go for me.
totally agree. I'm 50-60kms away, not sure exact. Only one in the state. And I'm a single. Not worth the time and fuel in the long run.

For us it would be at least a six hour round trip to shop at Cosco. I have been there on a couple of occasions but I don’t feel it’s worth the effort, even without the drive.

My son does most of our shopping usually online at Woolies. He went to Costco as their tyres were cheaper and got a few grocery bargains. We have a huge freezer bought during early Covid and can store a lot in our garage. I was impressed with the frozen foods and the delicious dinner rolls. I’ve never been there but may have a look one day. I do small shops at supermarkets including Aldi but my son does most of the cooking so likes to shop. Not complaining! I spend hater days a week getting hospital treatment and still do some work so appreciate coming home very tired to a lovely meal. I don’t injection about Costco prices but it seems cheaper to buy in bulk there

Reactions: CatBonniladi
Starting with travel; my woolies/coles/aldi is local.Parking; I am lucky a costco
is not too far away(syd metro) but regionally a loonng drive but the parking has become so bad I have driven off. costco fuel is generally cheaper but again QUEUES
are very long. Membership costs and I am a single pensioner now so now not in costco demographics.

I can't comment on Cosco but I can tell you I do a 160km round trip to Aldi each fortnight and I save more than the cost of fuel. Add savings from other stores cheaper than my local shops and the savings are well worth the trip. On average prices are 10% more in our local shops than the next town.
If you Don’t use it you lose it. These shops have no choice once the add freight and no bulk purchases to their cost. Sad for the locals who cannot go that distance in their car

Guess the person in this article keeps her car outside on the driveway to store the bulk buys in her garageband justify the cheaper (?) Costco prices + petrol + yearly membership. So she will be needing a new car sometime soon - think deterioration, excess mileage being run up, cost of fuel, new tyres sooner rather than later, her time and probably buying something she didn’t really need because she couldn’t resist the temptation of wandering through the large store. Not for me.

Well, I went to Costco once as a guest of my niece.
First, the value is not there for a household of 2 to shop there as a paying member. I'd need to put an extension on the house to bulk buy. I found their meat was cheaper than the butcher, but you can't buy small quantities. Second, could not find incontinence pants, which was my main target. I will say, their muffins are very nice. So, I did buy a box and froze them.
I have to be honest and say I was disappointed given all the hoopla.
Costco may benefit families who can bulk buy and store their goods. If you don't have the room, or, can't split the buy with a friend, then I see it as a waste of membership.
This thread mentions a box of 34 Coke. They must have come from Taiwan or the like. I've never seen this quantity when out and about. Maybe I am out of touch.