Aussie landlord crosses line with tenants in unbelievable email: 'This shouldn’t be legal'

In a move that has sparked outrage and heated debate across social media, an Australian landlord has been accused of being a 'criminal' after an email surfaced showing an astronomical rental increase of over 60 per cent.

This staggering hike has left tenants and advocates alike questioning the legality and morality of such a decision, igniting a conversation about the state of Australia's rental market and the rights of those who call it home.

The contentious email, shared by renters' rights advocate Jordan van den Berg, known online as Purplepingers, detailed the landlord's decision to raise the fortnightly rent from $1,200 to an eye-watering $1,940.

‘The landlord understands that increasing rent can be difficult and has carefully considered the need for this increase, which is why they’re increasing the rent by 62 per cent,’ the email said.

1721875022466.png
Australian landlord criticised for 61.7 per cent rent hike Credit: @purplepingers / X

The landlord's message attempted to soften the blow by claiming to understand the difficulty of rent increases and asserting that the new price was carefully considered and aligned with similar properties in the area.

However, the justification did little to quell the tenant's and the public's shock and frustration.

‘Abolish landlords. This shouldn’t be legal.’ Mr van den Berg exclaimed.

The social media post quickly gained momentum, with users labelling the landlord's behaviour as 'extortion' and 'greedy' and some even calling for reevaluating the landlord-tenant dynamic in Australia.

‘Who can produce $360 per week out of thin air!’ one said.

‘They are greedy bottom feeders who simply leech off hard-working people who, unlike them, actually contribute to the economy,’ another added.

'Between greedy landlords and rorting real estate agents, people don't have a f****** chance of retaining affordable housing,’ a third complained.

However, the landlord didn't bear all the blame.‘The property managers are equally to blame,' one emphasised.

‘Given they take a percentage in management fees, there's no incentive to be ethical.’

The property's location in Australia remained unspecified, but a $600-a-week rental could be for a small apartment in any major city.

Additionally, this situation underscored the generational divide between affluent Baby Boomers and the broader population.

'I do think one of the fault lines between Millenials/Gen Z and older generations is a clear understanding, if not personal experience, of the sheer greed and uselessness of landlords,' they said.

Some defend the landlord's right to adjust rent in line with market conditions and rising costs such as rates, insurance, and maintenance.

‘Do you have a house that people rent? Or do you still live at mum's house?’ one said.

‘You ever heard of rates? House insurance? Maintenance? If you can't afford it, don't live there. And if there are no houses, talk to Albanese.’ another echoed.

‘Who buys houses then? Who pays for increases in mortgage rates, council rates, insurance, etc,’ a third added.

‘Grow up - if you want to live in a communist society, try Russia, but don’t bleat and whine when you find it’s just the same.’

You can read the email here:
1721877492359.png
Credit: @purplepingers / X

In related news, a tenant in South Australia won a tribunal case against their landlord, who then sent a retaliatory email.

The tenant advocate shared the email on social media, leading to widespread criticism of the landlord's unprofessional conduct. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian landlord has been criticised for increasing their tenant’s rent by a staggering 61.7 per cent.
  • Renters and advocates have expressed outrage on social media, with some calling for landlords to be abolished.
  • The rent hike has highlighted the more profound issues within Australia’s housing crisis and the generational wealth divide.
  • Opinions vary on the justification for rent increases, with some pointing to rising costs for landlords and others criticising the impact on tenant affordability.
Have you experienced significant rent increases, or do you have thoughts on the balance between landlords' rights and tenants' security? We invite you to share your experiences and perspectives in the comments below.

Sponsored
My rent has just gone from $510 per week to $630. I live alone and am on the pension. Still working, thankfully. Looks like I’ll be working until I’m 100 (if I make it that far), at this rate. Not much done to the house by the owners. I have always maintained it. However, given the exorbitant increase, I figure they can afford to get professionals in, in the future. I have been here for 10yrs and never complained. I love where I live, and my neighbours. Would prefer to stay. Will see what happens next year. There should be a cap on how much they can increase the rent by 😓

Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8
why does everyone assume the landlord is some rich person who can afford to lose money if this happens to be in Victoria where the labor thieves are taxing them to the hilt
I don't have alot of super, I had 2 investment properties. Banks put the interest up often & investment payments are double! They were both sold when the tenants rent didn't even cover the monthly mortgage. My home hadn't had anything done to it for many years. I couldn't afford it.

I was a landlord about nine years ago....

....driving around in a clapped out 1980 Honda Accord while working full time.
I also was a landlord about 12 years ago with clapped out cars without knowing the reason for any high increase in rent it is hard to have an opinion the story focuses on the increase with no information

Would you be happy if your salary increased by $20/week over 4 years????? I think not. Why would anybody invest their money in property to received that sort of return. I would bet not one of you would accept that sort of return so why should landlords.

This is a clear case of jealousy of someone that has put in the hard work and probably given up a lot of luxuries, holidays, smoking, booze to make the mortgage repayments and make their life a better one.

It’s pretty simple if you don’t like the rent then move. After all if you don’t like the salary you receive from your employer then you look for another job. If you don’t like the price of a product then you look for a cheaper one. If you want to buy a specific car but the price is too high then you look for a cheaper one.

Interest rates increase all the time, people may complain about them but they don‘t send out a hate campaign on them.

And dont get me started on the horrendous outrageous charges electricians, plumbers, anything to do with maintenance. They are amongst the worst for overcharging.

i really am sick and tired of hearing sob stories about Landlords. They were really screwed during COVID , some even lost their properties because they could not pay their mortgage because the government allowed tenants to pay half their rent.

The more you give Landlords a hard time the less properties will become available. I for one would never rent out my property.

I was a landlord about nine years ago....

....driving around in a clapped out 1980 Honda Accord while working full time.
That's a reality. Many people incorporate the buying of a rental property to provide income in retirement.

The buying is not always facilitated by rent from a tenant.

Well it could be partly paid for using rent but it often requires additional payments from the buyer if he/she is to benefit in retirement.

These buyers are like you not likely to be driving Mercedes vehicles. This is a common misconception.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Would you be happy if your salary increased by $20/week over 4 years????? I think not. Why would anybody invest their money in property to received that sort of return. I would bet not one of you would accept that sort of return so why should landlords.

This is a clear case of jealousy of someone that has put in the hard work and probably given up a lot of luxuries, holidays, smoking, booze to make the mortgage repayments and make their life a better one.

It’s pretty simple if you don’t like the rent then move. After all if you don’t like the salary you receive from your employer then you look for another job. If you don’t like the price of a product then you look for a cheaper one. If you want to buy a specific car but the price is too high then you look for a cheaper one.

Interest rates increase all the time, people may complain about them but they don‘t send out a hate campaign on them.

And dont get me started on the horrendous outrageous charges electricians, plumbers, anything to do with maintenance. They are amongst the worst for overcharging.

i really am sick and tired of hearing sob stories about Landlords. They were really screwed during COVID , some even lost their properties because they could not pay their mortgage because the government allowed tenants to pay half their rent.

The more you give Landlords a hard time the less properties will become available. I for one would never rent out my property.
Thank you for shedding light on the lot of many a landlord.