Aussie expat lists down 4 strange British customs in London that she now finds 'completely normal'

When you move to a new country, it's inevitable that you'll encounter some cultural quirks that seem strange at first.

For Amie Elizabeth, an Australian who relocated to London for work, there were four British customs that initially baffled her.

However, after a year of living in the UK, these previously peculiar habits have now become a part of her daily life.

Amie shared her experiences in a video that quickly went viral, garnering over 200,000 views in less than 24 hours.

Below are the four British customs Amie talked about:

SDC Images (13).png
An Aussie expat discusses the four things that initially baffled her when she moved to the UK. Image source: TikTok/@amieelizabeth95.

The Art of Queueing

The first British custom that struck Amie as odd was the nation's love for queueing.

From waiting in line for a Subway sandwich to queuing up at the petrol station, the Brits seem to have a queue for everything.

Initially, Amie found this perplexing, but she has since embraced the practice and jokingly said: ' 'I'm comfortable with the fact that I probably spend 12 out of my 24 hours in a day queueing.'

This revelation sparked a lively debate among her followers, with many Brits expressing confusion over how other countries manage without queues.

One viewer commented, 'I don’t understand how people are shocked about queueing, what do other countries do barge people out the way?'

While another asked: 'I really don’t understand what the alternative to queuing is. What do other countries do?'

'Why do people think we “love” to queue? We don’t have a choice,' a third said.

Parking in Either Direction

The second British quirk that Amie highlighted was the practice of parking cars facing either direction on the road.

'When I first got here, I was really shocked that you…parked either direction on the road, and I was like, why is that car parked backwards?' Amie wondered.

But now, she says, 'If I see a parking spot in London, that is mine, do not care how I have to get into it.'

The Drinking Culture

The UK's drinking culture was another aspect that initially surprised Amie.

She was taken aback by how packed the pubs were every day after work, a stark contrast to Australia, where pubs are typically busy only on Friday or Saturday nights.

'Literally every day after work, pubs are just full of people who go for after-work drinks.'

She also noted that her company in the UK regularly holds after-work drinks, which is uncommon in Australia.

Now, she's fully embraced the British pub culture, joking, 'It's like 4:30, and I'm like, okay, who wants to get to the pub for a drink?'

British Customer Service

Finally, Amie was initially taken aback by the British approach to customer service.

She found it strange that shopkeepers didn't greet customers upon entry and that customer service representatives could be quite detached.

'No one says hi to you when you first walk into a shop, people will literally just ignore you customer service-wise.'

However, she's now accustomed to this and even appreciates the minimal interaction, saying, 'Just do your thing and I'll do my thing, we're all fine.'

Amie's observations sparked a lively discussion among her followers, with some Brits insisting that the 'detached' customer service is primarily a Southern thing.

'Customer service is only bad down South. Up North we're really friendly I promise,' one commented.

However, Amie disagreed, stating that she first encountered this in the Midlands.

'I moved to the midlands first and this interaction was there! Shocked me so much the first time it happened.'

You can watch Amie’s full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@amieelizabeth95.

Key Takeaways

• Amie Elizabeth, an Aussie who moved to London one year ago, has shared four British traits she found strange upon arriving but now considers normal.
  • These traits include the British penchant for queueing, the ability to park your car facing either direction on the road, the UK's drinking culture, and their customer service attitude.
  • Amie initially found the British commitment to standing in queues and the common practice of after-work drinks strange but now integrates these into her daily routine.
  • She was initially shocked by the seemingly detached customer service and backward parking but has since accepted these as normal practices.
If you, or someone you know, are an expat, we'd love to hear about the cultural quirks you've encountered in your new homes. Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm originally from Victoria (potato cake) but have been in WA for 50 years.
When I first arrived here I ordered
half a dozen scallops and was surprised how cheap they were. Imagine my surprise when I got home and discovered I had potato cakes.
Yes, they call them potato scallops. I still haven't got used to it. Scallops are seafood, not potatoes.
I don't recall ever seeing them called fritters.
I grew up in Victoria but have lived in NSW, Qld and SA, so have used all terminologies for the humble potato cake. All the same I think SA's term of fritters is the most appropriate because they are battered potato slices - hence a fritter.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
When I first arrived in Australia, I wanted an ice lolly - had to wait until I could find a shop selling icecreams with pictures on the wall to learn that Aussies call them icy poles. Got a temp job as a church secretary and had a very embarrassing time learning that what is sellotape in UK is durex in Oz and quickly learnt that when you go in a shop in Oz and the shop assistant says "Are you right", she is not asking after your health.
Little things that just make the delightful differences in different countries - learn them quickly and enjoy them.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I don't know about other countries Quicks but you don't need to go overseas to look at that sort of thing. On a State to State level each State has it's own securities. My Husband's Family moved from WA to NSW. The language has it's own peculiar differences. They are more
British than we are in NSW. Swimming Costumes are Bathers, Devon is Pulomy,
not sure how to spell that, their English is more English than we are. pronunciation and accent are more pronounced.
There are no doubt more of the same if I thought on it. But the influence of the British way of speech is definite over there. I don't know a great deal of the other States but I am tipping they have there own special terms or habits like we do. One thing I note about us on the queueing thing is that in Car queues is that one Car goes through the next one
gives way then the next Car goes through
this is the unspoken rule in NSW and hopefully the same Australia wide.
As far as being served at the Counter when Shopping, everybody who was there before you goes first. It is the unspoken honour system.