Aussie expat lists down 4 strange British customs in London that she now finds 'completely normal'

When you move to a new country, it's inevitable that you'll encounter some cultural quirks that seem strange at first.

For Amie Elizabeth, an Australian who relocated to London for work, there were four British customs that initially baffled her.

However, after a year of living in the UK, these previously peculiar habits have now become a part of her daily life.

Amie shared her experiences in a video that quickly went viral, garnering over 200,000 views in less than 24 hours.

Below are the four British customs Amie talked about:

SDC Images (13).png
An Aussie expat discusses the four things that initially baffled her when she moved to the UK. Image source: TikTok/@amieelizabeth95.

The Art of Queueing

The first British custom that struck Amie as odd was the nation's love for queueing.

From waiting in line for a Subway sandwich to queuing up at the petrol station, the Brits seem to have a queue for everything.

Initially, Amie found this perplexing, but she has since embraced the practice and jokingly said: ' 'I'm comfortable with the fact that I probably spend 12 out of my 24 hours in a day queueing.'

This revelation sparked a lively debate among her followers, with many Brits expressing confusion over how other countries manage without queues.

One viewer commented, 'I don’t understand how people are shocked about queueing, what do other countries do barge people out the way?'

While another asked: 'I really don’t understand what the alternative to queuing is. What do other countries do?'

'Why do people think we “love” to queue? We don’t have a choice,' a third said.

Parking in Either Direction

The second British quirk that Amie highlighted was the practice of parking cars facing either direction on the road.

'When I first got here, I was really shocked that you…parked either direction on the road, and I was like, why is that car parked backwards?' Amie wondered.

But now, she says, 'If I see a parking spot in London, that is mine, do not care how I have to get into it.'

The Drinking Culture

The UK's drinking culture was another aspect that initially surprised Amie.

She was taken aback by how packed the pubs were every day after work, a stark contrast to Australia, where pubs are typically busy only on Friday or Saturday nights.

'Literally every day after work, pubs are just full of people who go for after-work drinks.'

She also noted that her company in the UK regularly holds after-work drinks, which is uncommon in Australia.

Now, she's fully embraced the British pub culture, joking, 'It's like 4:30, and I'm like, okay, who wants to get to the pub for a drink?'

British Customer Service

Finally, Amie was initially taken aback by the British approach to customer service.

She found it strange that shopkeepers didn't greet customers upon entry and that customer service representatives could be quite detached.

'No one says hi to you when you first walk into a shop, people will literally just ignore you customer service-wise.'

However, she's now accustomed to this and even appreciates the minimal interaction, saying, 'Just do your thing and I'll do my thing, we're all fine.'

Amie's observations sparked a lively discussion among her followers, with some Brits insisting that the 'detached' customer service is primarily a Southern thing.

'Customer service is only bad down South. Up North we're really friendly I promise,' one commented.

However, Amie disagreed, stating that she first encountered this in the Midlands.

'I moved to the midlands first and this interaction was there! Shocked me so much the first time it happened.'

You can watch Amie’s full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@amieelizabeth95.

Key Takeaways

• Amie Elizabeth, an Aussie who moved to London one year ago, has shared four British traits she found strange upon arriving but now considers normal.
  • These traits include the British penchant for queueing, the ability to park your car facing either direction on the road, the UK's drinking culture, and their customer service attitude.
  • Amie initially found the British commitment to standing in queues and the common practice of after-work drinks strange but now integrates these into her daily routine.
  • She was initially shocked by the seemingly detached customer service and backward parking but has since accepted these as normal practices.
If you, or someone you know, are an expat, we'd love to hear about the cultural quirks you've encountered in your new homes. Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why do people have to get on social media bleating about how different things are in different countries, of course things are going to be different in any other country than here in Oz. Who really cares?
It's nice to see how people are very different world wide including here at home.

When you move to a new country, it's inevitable that you'll encounter some cultural quirks that seem strange at first.

For Amie Elizabeth, an Australian who relocated to London for work, there were four British customs that initially baffled her.

However, after a year of living in the UK, these previously peculiar habits have now become a part of her daily life.

Amie shared her experiences in a video that quickly went viral, garnering over 200,000 views in less than 24 hours.

View attachment 35872
An Aussie expat discusses the four things that initially baffled her when she moved to the UK. Image source: TikTok/@amieelizabeth95.

The Art of Queueing

The first British custom that struck Amie as odd was the nation's love for queueing.

From waiting in line for a Subway sandwich to queuing up at the petrol station, the Brits seem to have a queue for everything.

Initially, Amie found this perplexing, but she has since embraced the practice and jokingly said: ' 'I'm comfortable with the fact that I probably spend 12 out of my 24 hours in a day queueing.'

This revelation sparked a lively debate among her followers, with many Brits expressing confusion over how other countries manage without queues.

One viewer commented, 'I don’t understand how people are shocked about queueing, what do other countries do barge people out the way?'

While another asked: 'I really don’t understand what the alternative to queuing is. What do other countries do?'

The second British quirk that Amie highlighted was the practice of parking cars facing either direction on the road.

'When I first got here, I was really shocked that you…parked either direction on the road, and I was like, why is that car parked backwards?' Amie wondered.

But now, she says, 'If I see a parking spot in London, that is mine, do not care how I have to get into it.'

The Drinking Culture

She was taken aback by how packed the pubs were every day after work, a stark contrast to Australia, where pubs are typically busy only on Friday or Saturday nights.

'Literally every day after work, pubs are just full of people who go for after-work drinks.'

She also noted that her company in the UK regularly holds after-work drinks, which is uncommon in Australia.

Now, she's fully embraced the British pub culture, joking, 'It's like 4:30, and I'm like, okay, who wants to get to the pub for a drink?'

British Customer Service

Finally, Amie was initially taken aback by the British approach to customer service.

She found it strange that shopkeepers didn't greet customers upon entry and that customer service representatives could be quite detached.

'No one says hi to you when you first walk into a shop, people will literally just ignore you customer service-wise.'

However, she's now accustomed to this and even appreciates the minimal interaction, saying, 'Just do your thing and I'll do my thing, we're all fine.'

Amie's observations sparked a lively discussion among her followers, with some Brits insisting that the 'detached' customer service is primarily a Southern thing.

'Customer service is only bad down South. Up North we're really friendly I promise,' one commented.

However, Amie disagreed, stating that she first encountered this in the Midlands.

'I moved to the midlands first and this interaction was there! Shocked me so much the first time it happened.'

Key Takeaways

• Amie Elizabeth, an Aussie who moved to London one year ago, has shared four British traits she found strange upon arriving but now considers normal.
  • These traits include the British penchant for queueing, the ability to park your car facing either direction on the road, the UK's drinking culture, and their customer service attitude.
  • Amie initially found the British commitment to standing in queues and the common practice of after-work drinks strange but now integrates these into her daily routine.
  • She was initially shocked by the seemingly detached customer service and backward parking but has since accepted these as normal practices.
If you, or someone you know, are an expat, we'd love to hear about the cultural quirks you've encountered in your new homes. Share them with us in the comments below!

Queuing works well in Adelaide.

After nearly 60 years in Australia, as a Englishman I find intrusive when I'm greeted by a shop attendant who wants to know what I want every time I enter a shop.

Why do people have to get on social media bleating about how different things are in different countries, of course things are going to be different in any other country than here in Oz. Who really cares?
Absolutely right, if you expect the same in another country why bother travelling, you may as well have stayed home. It's only natural when you leave your own land everything will be different.

After nearly 60 years in Australia, as a Englishman I find intrusive when I'm greeted by a shop attendant who wants to know what I want every time I enter a shop.
Do they actually say WHAT DO YOU WANT or do they ask how can I help you.
Part of customer service is to say hello when a customer comes in and then ask if they can help you.

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 35872

The Art of Queueing

The Drinking Culture

British Customer Service

Key Takeaways

View attachment 35872

The Art of Queueing

The Drinking Culture

British Customer Service

Key Takeaways

As for Drinking Culture, if Amie was around during the 50s or 60s - or even earlier - she'd know all about Aussies racing to the pub after work. It was mostly men doing physical jobs who'd meet up, have a few, then go home. Particularly frantic during the '6 o'clock swill ' days!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Some people do Care, you are entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to be nasty and inconsiderate as well. Gsr:
Who do you think has the problem ?
Perhaps it is you ?
You don't need to read it or comment upon it. You have the buttons to remove
it. How about you do that ?
Gee !! that seems to be a good idea.

I go to Scotland regularly and the parking on the wrong side of the road still alarms and annoys me.
There's nothing more disconcerting than to be faced by a car facing you on the wrong side of the road when it is pulling out from it's parking space (that's even worse at night when headlights are on!). It's dangerous on another front, because the same car has to pull across two lanes of traffic to get to it's proper side of the road.
I think this practice should be illegal, as it is in WA (I don't know about the rest of Australia).