SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Aussie Dad ‘scams the scammers’ to give them a taste of their own medicine, but then the scammers retaliated…

Scam callers are a menace to society. They target unsuspecting and vulnerable people, promising rewards or warning of unauthorised charges in bank accounts, only to swindle money out of their hapless victims. But wouldn’t it be fun to make them taste their own medicine?

An Aussie on Reddit - a popular social news website - shared that his dad was having the time of his life pranking fraudsters. He saw a TV segment that featured a Kitboga-like takedown of scam centres, inspiring him to engage scammers and waste their time on his own. For readers who are unaware, Kitboga is the name of a professional ‘scammer of scammers’, who posts highly entertaining videos on Youtube of him wasting scammers time and generally leading them up the garden path.

Kitboga is a content creator on YouTube who has gained a following for his videos of pranking phone scammers

The Aussie dad pulled the scammers legs by telling them to f*** themselves in singsong and interrogating them for hours using lines he heard from the TV program.

However, the scammers started hitting back. The dad’s number now appears to have been added to a ‘hit list’, which means that his phone rings all day, every day. The callers either hang up or scream profanities at him.

So far, the dad is still enjoying annoying the online crooks, with his daughter saying it is still ‘a bit of a game’ to him. He is not alone in the joy - ‘scam baiters’, referring to internet vigilantes fighting and exposing scammers, have been making their rounds on the internet for some time now.

Aussies also share their experiences with scam callers on TikTok, a short-form video-sharing platform. A word of caution before watching the video: the user plays audio of animals fornicating for the fraudster

Many Reddit users found the dad’s antics entertaining but also offered advice or suggested caution.

A concerned Redditor urged calling the phone company: ‘They could block all foreign numbers from your dad's line, for example, or just stop virtual numbers, or maybe even prevent any number that's not on a list of approved numbers you give them.’

Another recommended a Telstra feature: ‘If he's with Telstra, you can get a Call Guardian phone, which forces people calling to announce their name before the call goes through.’

This video explains how Telstra’s Call Guardian 301 works.

Meanwhile, others shared their own funny experiences. A user tried to one-up the scammers: ‘Had a call where they said Amazon charged my account for an iPhone. I pressed the button to speak to an operator and asked if they could send the iPhone to my place since I paid for it. They hung up on me.’

The scammers apparently don’t select their targets well, as another user revealed: ‘I once had a mate hold one of these [guys] on the line for over an hour talking about how they could beat his current electricity bill. He lived on a farm in the bush and was completely off-grid.’

One had the unconventional method of stopping the phone calls - a Redditor used his ‘creep skills’ to make conversations sexual: ‘I treated these people like they were my personal phone sex operators. Every call and conversation quickly turned sexual. Turns out my creep skills are too much even for these thieves.’ He hasn’t heard a peep from the scammers since!

But on a serious note - these fraudsters target everybody, so how can you protect yourself?

vy-uu2qAzBVEhJdogDiqT0aU-QoNGPKGE8lKomwt_bm6FinM8qLJDgFcyxsrTGR6veJOfrYVu53HyL6616BRFTFqN8KJ1MQ3AVcOtEN6Xg17mAZez0cQYq2riJeLgl4N1SBwjESSjzHnaN9v118qtek

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications encourages exercising caution for scam prevention. Credit:
DITRDC

The rule to remember is this: ‘If in doubt, don’t.’ The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) summarises it best: ‘Don’t answer, don’t click on links, don’t give personal details, and don’t give money.’

You can also block numbers, but this may be only helpful temporarily - scammers often use multiple numbers.

And while the Aussie dad’s approach certainly is amusing, it is also not advisable as it could lead to more engagement and retaliation. The better way is to let calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail - if they leave a message, verify if the contact details match what is available online.

Do you have funny stories involving scam callers? Or maybe more tips to share with SDC members to prevent fraud? We’d love to know in the comments below.

I had 3 suspected spam calls the other day, I answered with "Good afternoon, Devonport FBI"....he hung up before I finished lol, next one was "Good afternoon, Devonport morgue, you stab 'em we slab 'em"....they hung up too....last one was: "Good afternoon Devonport morgue you kill 'em we chill 'em".......they hung up also and I havent had a call in 3 days now, longest I have ever gone without a call lol
I'm waiting for the next one, it's gonna be "good morning/afternoon you have reached Delilah's Dungeon, to book Whipping Wendy press 1, to book Kicking Kelly press 2, to book Punching Patty press 3".........if they are still on the line after that I dunno what I will say LOL

These days I can't be bothered with messing with the scam callers but I used to. I'd ask them to just hang on a tick whilst I answered the door but to not go away as I was really interested in talking to them, Then I would just lay the phone down and get on with my day, go back after an hour or so and hang up if they'd gone.:)

When I answer the phone they ask for me by name and I just say hello who’s calling and they give me their name and I continue the conversation by saying I am a detective and Greg has been shot and died and then start asking for all of their information and ask how they know Greg and police will be in touch to interview them. By then they usually hang up and don’t ring back

I had 3 suspected spam calls the other day, I answered with "Good afternoon, Devonport FBI"....he hung up before I finished lol, next one was "Good afternoon, Devonport morgue, you stab 'em we slab 'em"....they hung up too....last one was: "Good afternoon Devonport morgue you kill 'em we chill 'em".......they hung up also and I havent had a call in 3 days now, longest I have ever gone without a call lol
I'm waiting for the next one, it's gonna be "good morning/afternoon you have reached Delilah's Dungeon, to book Whipping Wendy press 1, to book Kicking Kelly press 2, to book Punching Patty press 3".........if they are still on the line after that I dunno what I will say LOL
I did similar, I answered by saying good morning/afternoon Scottsdale police station, constable/ sargent smith/brown, they hang up very quickly. The funniest one was the guy telling me I had to ring the number THEY would give me to contact the local Telstra Technician so I could arrange for him to access my computer from the exchange, so i strung him along for a few minutes and then told him my son is the local Telstra Technician and that I knew that he was trying to scam me, my son had been here as the local Telstra Tech for the last 15 years..LOL...A couple of time my son hasbeen here when they have rung so I have handed the phone to him and let him deal with them so funny I was nearly rolling around on the floor laughing, my sons vocabulary was very descriptive about this guys ancestry and where he could shove his phone..

These days I can't be bothered with messing with the scam callers but I used to. I'd ask them to just hang on a tick whilst I answered the door but to not go away as I was really interested in talking to them, Then I would just lay the phone down and get on with my day, go back after an hour or so and hang up if they'd gone.:)
I got a scam caller and put the phone down in front of my speakers and put the bagpipes on and went back to my computer , checked the phone 15 minutes later and he was still there so i left it for a another 30 minutes and he finally got the hint

I have a message on my phone saying to please leave a message and if you dont then you dont really need to talk to me. If I dont know a number, I immediately block it. Had one fellow tell me that I had to allow hin access to my computer. To which I replied that I dont have a computer. He said "Madam I have your IP address" I just said, then can I have yours and besides you need to know that I am dying so please dont bother me again. (well we are all dying from the moment of conception so it wasn't a lie).

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I answer with an accent and play dumb when they say why they are calling I go of my head about it being from the devil and say no no no no not the .... it is the devil. They usually hang up or swear at me then hang up.

Scam callers are a menace to society. They target unsuspecting and vulnerable people, promising rewards or warning of unauthorised charges in bank accounts, only to swindle money out of their hapless victims. But wouldn’t it be fun to make them taste their own medicine?

An Aussie on Reddit - a popular social news website - shared that his dad was having the time of his life pranking fraudsters. He saw a TV segment that featured a Kitboga-like takedown of scam centres, inspiring him to engage scammers and waste their time on his own. For readers who are unaware, Kitboga is the name of a professional ‘scammer of scammers’, who posts highly entertaining videos on Youtube of him wasting scammers time and generally leading them up the garden path.

Kitboga is a content creator on YouTube who has gained a following for his videos of pranking phone scammers

The Aussie dad pulled the scammers legs by telling them to f*** themselves in singsong and interrogating them for hours using lines he heard from the TV program.

However, the scammers started hitting back. The dad’s number now appears to have been added to a ‘hit list’, which means that his phone rings all day, every day. The callers either hang up or scream profanities at him.

So far, the dad is still enjoying annoying the online crooks, with his daughter saying it is still ‘a bit of a game’ to him. He is not alone in the joy - ‘scam baiters’, referring to internet vigilantes fighting and exposing scammers, have been making their rounds on the internet for some time now.

Aussies also share their experiences with scam callers on TikTok, a short-form video-sharing platform. A word of caution before watching the video: the user plays audio of animals fornicating for the fraudster

Many Reddit users found the dad’s antics entertaining but also offered advice or suggested caution.

A concerned Redditor urged calling the phone company: ‘They could block all foreign numbers from your dad's line, for example, or just stop virtual numbers, or maybe even prevent any number that's not on a list of approved numbers you give them.’

Another recommended a Telstra feature: ‘If he's with Telstra, you can get a Call Guardian phone, which forces people calling to announce their name before the call goes through.’

This video explains how Telstra’s Call Guardian 301 works.

Meanwhile, others shared their own funny experiences. A user tried to one-up the scammers: ‘Had a call where they said Amazon charged my account for an iPhone. I pressed the button to speak to an operator and asked if they could send the iPhone to my place since I paid for it. They hung up on me.’

The scammers apparently don’t select their targets well, as another user revealed: ‘I once had a mate hold one of these [guys] on the line for over an hour talking about how they could beat his current electricity bill. He lived on a farm in the bush and was completely off-grid.’

One had the unconventional method of stopping the phone calls - a Redditor used his ‘creep skills’ to make conversations sexual: ‘I treated these people like they were my personal phone sex operators. Every call and conversation quickly turned sexual. Turns out my creep skills are too much even for these thieves.’ He hasn’t heard a peep from the scammers since!

But on a serious note - these fraudsters target everybody, so how can you protect yourself?

vy-uu2qAzBVEhJdogDiqT0aU-QoNGPKGE8lKomwt_bm6FinM8qLJDgFcyxsrTGR6veJOfrYVu53HyL6616BRFTFqN8KJ1MQ3AVcOtEN6Xg17mAZez0cQYq2riJeLgl4N1SBwjESSjzHnaN9v118qtek

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications encourages exercising caution for scam prevention. Credit:
DITRDC

The rule to remember is this: ‘If in doubt, don’t.’ The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) summarises it best: ‘Don’t answer, don’t click on links, don’t give personal details, and don’t give money.’

You can also block numbers, but this may be only helpful temporarily - scammers often use multiple numbers.

And while the Aussie dad’s approach certainly is amusing, it is also not advisable as it could lead to more engagement and retaliation. The better way is to let calls from unknown numbers go to voicemail - if they leave a message, verify if the contact details match what is available online.

Do you have funny stories involving scam callers? Or maybe more tips to share with SDC members to prevent fraud? We’d love to know in the comments below.

I can confirm these scammers change their telephone # because l regularly receive messages on my phone, a recorded ladies voice claiming to be from Amazon which goes on to say my account will be charged 'x' amount & to press 'y' number on my phone etc. Naturally l hang-up & block this but next time a different phone #, same message.

I can confirm these scammers change their telephone # because l regularly receive messages on my phone, a recorded ladies voice claiming to be from Amazon which goes on to say my account will be charged 'x' amount & to press 'y' number on my phone etc. Naturally l hang-up & block this but next time a different phone #, same message.
I have the same call on various occasions and now do as you just block the number they are an absolute pain.