Aussie commuter furious over $277 myki fine – does the fine really match the offence?

We can all relate to the occasional public transport mishap.

Maybe we accidentally forget to touch on or off, or maybe our phone battery dies, and we're unable to top up our myki card before boarding. Whatever it is, these little things happen from time to time and usually aren't a big issue.

But if you're not careful, one of these minor mistakes could end up costing you a lot more money than you'd expect - as one Melbourne commuter found out the hard way this week.

The woman took to Reddit after receiving a $277 fine in the mail for failing to produce a valid ticket on public transport. And what's even worse, the amount of her fine was actually higher than that of a low-level speeding offence for motorists!

zEvgJ28jgNzty5ORFgt78w9V0WMCRTFN-7KJ4Aqq1dv1OFl0s8nlwlUc46lfAcdeuHl3_DE0cERN4-9jxbSWhsLiUEtE2GJW51ZJ-6XxWHZjVr8uyyzceUZ6T7ma761YM6Xic83X11AMp4WW5tztKuPqJkd0sx-G6IW-A7e69DTGDQMW-TCUzc2WtQ

The commuter was upset that a fine for not having a valid myki ticket is more expensive than a fine for a minor speeding offence. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

'What the f***,' the passenger wrote in a post on the popular forum site Reddit. 'I got a myki fine ($277) in the mail the same week my mate got a speeding fine ($230). I'm shocked.'

'Failure to produce a valid ticket shouldn't be fined more than potentially putting someone's life in danger.'

The commuter went on to say that such steep fines are equal to 'a whole week's worth of pay' for her and that she already struggles enough as it is to afford public transport fares.

Even though she acknowledged that she ought to have had a valid ticket, she couldn't really afford one due to her current financial situation. 'I'd pay for a ticket if they were cheaper,' she said.

'I'm eligible for a concession and still struggle to afford that. I'm disabled and can only work part-time. If they were even half the price, it would be soooo much more accessible.'

Then, she asked: 'If the government is funding this service, why is the private company making a profit off of it, you know?'

kaRygNiYRQrcpf1_5bgqFPFYewxgj6voR3zexOi9vKytLkXEyJpVlZay7ZrX4TYbJyx70VZX_UjgGC3QbrBs02-bI9InRerXI_OBr0eJpC3nwBfGcf2lbiajNbZLSj_fczCHCNDjkxEGSAjgabqoOq8hHSA_JARl9V9xlo7gACFBQn6OxnRMxjGCqA

Melbourne’s train network costs up to $9.20 a day. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Paul Jeffers.

For concession ticket holders, daily zone 1 and 2 fares are currently $4.60 – which is still quite pricey when you consider how often people use public transport these days just to get around town.

It's no wonder so many people are turning towards alternatives like Uber instead nowadays (but that’s not cheap either)… We absolutely feel this commuter's pain here!

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you use public transport regularly as well? If so, do you think these fines are valid, or way too unreasonable for the average Aussie commuter? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored

Maybe we accidentally forget to touch on or off, or maybe our phone battery dies, and we're unable to top up our myki card before boarding. Whatever it is, these little things happen from time to time and usually aren't a big issue.

But if you're not careful, one of these minor mistakes could end up costing you a lot more money than you'd expect - as one Melbourne commuter found out the hard way this week.

The woman took to Reddit after receiving a $277 fine in the mail for failing to produce a valid ticket on public transport. And what's even worse, the amount of her fine was actually higher than that of a low-level speeding offence for motorists!

zEvgJ28jgNzty5ORFgt78w9V0WMCRTFN-7KJ4Aqq1dv1OFl0s8nlwlUc46lfAcdeuHl3_DE0cERN4-9jxbSWhsLiUEtE2GJW51ZJ-6XxWHZjVr8uyyzceUZ6T7ma761YM6Xic83X11AMp4WW5tztKuPqJkd0sx-G6IW-A7e69DTGDQMW-TCUzc2WtQ

The commuter was upset that a fine for not having a valid myki ticket is more expensive than a fine for a minor speeding offence. Credit: Getty. (Stock photo)

'What the f***,' the passenger wrote in a post on the popular forum site Reddit. 'I got a myki fine ($277) in the mail the same week my mate got a speeding fine ($230). I'm shocked.'

'Failure to produce a valid ticket shouldn't be fined more than potentially putting someone's life in danger.'

The commuter went on to say that such steep fines are equal to 'a whole week's worth of pay' for her and that she already struggles enough as it is to afford public transport fares.

Even though she acknowledged that she ought to have had a valid ticket, she couldn't really afford one due to her current financial situation. 'I'd pay for a ticket if they were cheaper,' she said.

'I'm eligible for a concession and still struggle to afford that. I'm disabled and can only work part-time. If they were even half the price, it would be soooo much more accessible.'

Then, she asked: 'If the government is funding this service, why is the private company making a profit off of it, you know?'

kaRygNiYRQrcpf1_5bgqFPFYewxgj6voR3zexOi9vKytLkXEyJpVlZay7ZrX4TYbJyx70VZX_UjgGC3QbrBs02-bI9InRerXI_OBr0eJpC3nwBfGcf2lbiajNbZLSj_fczCHCNDjkxEGSAjgabqoOq8hHSA_JARl9V9xlo7gACFBQn6OxnRMxjGCqA

Melbourne’s train network costs up to $9.20 a day. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Paul Jeffers.

For concession ticket holders, daily zone 1 and 2 fares are currently $4.60 – which is still quite pricey when you consider how often people use public transport these days just to get around town.

It's no wonder so many people are turning towards alternatives like Uber instead nowadays (but that’s not cheap either)… We absolutely feel this commuter's pain here!

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you use public transport regularly as well? If so, do you think these fines are valid, or way too unreasonable for the average Aussie commuter? Let us know in the comments!
You should have been a member of 'Know Your Rights . Com'

I'll accept that some people make honest mistakes, or that circumstances arise which prevent people from being organised enough to make sure they have purchased a ticket or topped up their card. However, I don't accept that the price of the concession ticket, $4.60, is unreasonable. I also don't accept that this person made an honest mistake because she states "'I'd pay for a ticket if they were cheaper". So basically she is admitting she is a fare evader and it is unlikely this is the first offence. A major reason that regular fares are higher than they need be is that the rest of us, the ones who don't expect a free ride through life, are subsidising the fare evaders. The fines need to be high enough to deter this. No sympathy here.

All states should follow the new Labor government in Sth Australia who have made ALL public transport free for pensioners 24/7. What a big help that is for those doing it hard.

My husband and I rarely use Public Transport, but 2 weeks ago travelling from Warrandyte to CBD Bus Route we were amazed that the majority of people getting on did not log on or off and this was late morning/early afternoon. I can only imagine how bad this is early morning/ early evening. Fines are valid if you cheat the system.

I don't use public transport at all but that fine seems to be over the top for that offence

Revenue raising grubs, our government is supposed to work for Us but they look at us as a source of income, we need to take our country back, politicians are a disgrace, pensions for life on taxpayers dollars.

I regularly catch the bus and it makes me so angry to see so many people just walk on without using a Myki card. It is not just young people either. I am sure if I tried to do that I would be caught by an Inspector.
The Bus Drivers don't bat an eye or say anything.

All states should follow the new Labor government in Sth Australia who have made ALL public transport free for pensioners 24/7. What a big help that is for those doing it hard.
Many pensioners would like a day out, just to go to the end of the line on a train or bus. I take my elderly neighbour out for a drive and a drive through Maccas icecream. You'd think she had won lotto. She just loves to get out but because of property prices her house which she built in 1958 is now right in the middle of a very wealthy area, so she survives on very little,even with council deduction of 2% for rates, she rarely has money for anything.

Inspector's should get on the 305 bus ,24/7. They would be shocked to see how many people do not pay their way.
I see red as it really upsets me so much!!!
I'm a senior and I always pay my way.

My brother , in SA, is 70 and uses public transport- both bus and train, all the time. He said to keep it at no cost you need to be on and off between 9am and 3pm. If outside of these times there is a charge. I'm close to qualifying for pension so may consider this instead of driving some places.

I regularly catch the bus and it makes me so angry to see so many people just walk on without using a Myki card. It is not just young people either. I am sure if I tried to do that I would be caught by an Inspector.
The Bus Drivers don't bat an eye or say anything.
Bus drivers value their safety, late night bus drivers often have a security guard on board on the sunshine coast. The types that get on the buses late at night are often intoxicated, foul mouthed and cause trouble to the driver and other passengers

• Sad
Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

This was captioned as a mistake. No, the commuter chose not to pay.

My brother , in SA, is 70 and uses public transport- both bus and train, all the time. He said to keep it at no cost you need to be on and off between 9am and 3pm. If outside of these times there is a charge. I'm close to qualifying for pension so may consider this instead of driving some places.
Public transport for seniors is now free in SA 24/7. It's terrific.

I use public transport frequently, and I am appalled at the number and ages of people who do not touch on.
It's people of all ages, and I'm guessing 90% don't pay.
In Victoria, Seniors travel free on public transport all over the state at weekends, so we can still have outings.
People just want everything for nothing.

NSW have a cap of $2.50 per day for concession card holders, and I think some other states have similar . It should be national!

The prevalence of fare evaders is a big problem and a contributory factor is the lack of supervision. When I was growing up the buses and trains always had conductors issuing and checking tickets. Their presence made fare evasion very difficult as well as deterring vandals and graffiti artists. If conductors were reintroduced, I am sure the cost of their wages would be less than the cost of replacing vandalised infrastructure and the current loss in revenue created by fare evaders.

I used to catch a train into the cbd every day for work and this particular morning I topped up just before I left home.
I caught the train and 5 minutes later the inspector's got on and asked for opal cards, when he came to mine he said there was no money on it , I explained I did top up , I went into my account and it showed pending apparently it can take up to an hour, I showed him my phone and he replied I should have done it earlier, he said it will now be on record and that I would receive a warning letter in the mail.
He made me feel like a criminal in front if alot of people.
I told him he had no right accusing me of not paying that he could see how many times I tap on and off and that my payment of $50 was paid and pending.
I told him they should make sure that payment shows straight away and that he should be looking for real criminals