Auckland Airport is overflowing with mysterious lost luggage

Travelling overseas is a voyage in more ways than one. You go on the adventure of a lifetime and take lots of wonderful memories with you, but there's something else you should come back home with – all your possessions!

Occasionally losing a suitcase or two is forgivable – airline operators are still human after all. However, this wasn’t the case at Auckland Airport, where an ‘outrageous’ amount of lost luggage was seen sitting idly by.

Airlines have been copping a lot of flak these days. Whether it’s due to unusable travel credits, unsatisfactory customer service, or the mishandling of baggage.

Debi Flutter told reporters that her daughter, Samantha, saw and filmed piles of unclaimed belongings sitting at Auckland Airport – all while travellers were still in search of their missing possessions.

‘The room was just stacked with hundreds, if not thousands of things belonging to people,’ Debi shared.

suit.jpg
Samantha saw the unclaimed belongings while she was searching for her missing suitcase. Credit: Engin Akyurt/Pexels

‘There were suitcases, surfboards, kite surfers…things that are vitally important to people and that cost huge amounts of money. It’s an outrageous amount,’ she added.

Debi recalled that when Samantha lost her suitcase between flights, she received word from Qantas and Emirates that it would catch up to her in Auckland. After spending three weeks trying to track down her stuff via phone, however, she decided to look for it herself at the airport.

That was when Samantha saw the piles of luggage in front of the kiosks that provide ground services for airlines.

baggage.jpg
The sea of missing belongings. Credit: Samantha Flutter via SMH

You can check out the video here.

The airport said it was concerned about the scale of missing bags arriving, but told Samantha that there had been a shortage of staff so they weren’t able to process everything in time.

Samantha was able to find her suitcase, however, other people were still missing their belongings.

‘We understand there’s a shortage but surely it’s the responsibility of [the] airlines that charge huge amounts of money to get that personal property returned.’

airport1.jpg
The airport said there was a lack of staff to process the missing luggage. Credit: Magic K/Pexels

Staff shortages in the aviation industry have disrupted travel and caused chaos at airports. In July, Eve Hale left more than 100 (unanswered) phone calls in the hopes of recovering her lost bag after a trip to the UK. Other stories from travellers have popped up on social media as well.

An Auckland Airport spokesperson admitted that mishandled bags were always the ‘responsibility of the airlines who sold travellers their tickets’ – and not the airport. Airlines contract companies to provide ground services, which include handling baggage.

‘It’s an issue Auckland Airport continues to be concerned about, recognising how frustrating it can be for customers to lose their bags,’ the spokesperson shared.

They also reassured everyone that they ‘are working with airlines and their ground handlers’ to come up with solutions to fix the ongoing problem.
Key Takeaways

• ‘Outrageous amount’ of lost luggage at Auckland Airport was captured on film by a woman who was looking for her luggage.
  • Allegedly, the airport is facing a staff shortage, which caused the delay in processing people’s missing belongings.
  • Auckland Airport is working with airlines and ground handling companies to try and find a resolution.
There you have it, folks! What can you say about this? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Travelling overseas is a voyage in more ways than one. You go on the adventure of a lifetime and take lots of wonderful memories with you, but there's something else you should come back home with – all your possessions!

Occasionally losing a suitcase or two is forgivable – airline operators are still human after all. However, this wasn’t the case at Auckland Airport, where an ‘outrageous’ amount of lost luggage was seen sitting idly by.

Airlines have been copping a lot of flak these days. Whether it’s due to unusable travel credits, unsatisfactory customer service, or the mishandling of baggage.

Debi Flutter told reporters that her daughter, Samantha, saw and filmed piles of unclaimed belongings sitting at Auckland Airport – all while travellers were still in search of their missing possessions.

‘The room was just stacked with hundreds, if not thousands of things belonging to people,’ Debi shared.

View attachment 10714
Samantha saw the unclaimed belongings while she was searching for her missing suitcase. Credit: Engin Akyurt/Pexels

‘There were suitcases, surfboards, kite surfers…things that are vitally important to people and that cost huge amounts of money. It’s an outrageous amount,’ she added.

Debi recalled that when Samantha lost her suitcase between flights, she received word from Qantas and Emirates that it would catch up to her in Auckland. After spending three weeks trying to track down her stuff via phone, however, she decided to look for it herself at the airport.

That was when Samantha saw the piles of luggage in front of the kiosks that provide ground services for airlines.

View attachment 10713

The airport said it was concerned about the scale of missing bags arriving, but told Samantha that there had been a shortage of staff so they weren’t able to process everything in time.

Samantha was able to find her suitcase, however, other people were still missing their belongings.

‘We understand there’s a shortage but surely it’s the responsibility of [the] airlines that charge huge amounts of money to get that personal property returned.’

View attachment 10712
The airport said there was a lack of staff to process the missing luggage. Credit: Magic K/Pexels

Staff shortages in the aviation industry have disrupted travel and caused chaos at airports. In July, Eve Hale left more than 100 (unanswered) phone calls in the hopes of recovering her lost bag after a trip to the UK. Other stories from travellers have popped up on social media as well.

An Auckland Airport spokesperson admitted that mishandled bags were always the ‘responsibility of the airlines who sold travellers their tickets’ – and not the airport. Airlines contract companies to provide ground services, which include handling baggage.

‘It’s an issue Auckland Airport continues to be concerned about, recognising how frustrating it can be for customers to lose their bags,’ the spokesperson shared.

They also reassured everyone that they ‘are working with airlines and their ground handlers’ to come up with solutions to fix the ongoing problem.
Key Takeaways

• ‘Outrageous amount’ of lost luggage at Auckland Airport was captured on film by a woman who was looking for her luggage.
  • Allegedly, the airport is facing a staff shortage, which caused the delay in processing people’s missing belongings.
  • Auckland Airport is working with airlines and ground handling companies to try and find a resolution.
There you have it, folks! What can you say about this? Share your thoughts in the comments!
I seem to remember an old one about the Passenger in New York, luggage in Hong Kong.

Reactions: Ricci
My daughter went to England with her husband and lost her luggage but she had a tracker on it and she found in another country so she rang her travel agent in Australia and told her where her luggage was and lo and behold she had it the next day now thats service

I have worked at an International airport. Make sure your name and phone number is on a tag securely attached to the outside of your bag. Another tip, those little barcodes on the end of the big luggage label, remove one of them and stick it on your bag, if the big tag gets ripped off, the small barcode will make your bag still reach its destination.

View attachment 10714

View attachment 10713

View attachment 10712

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10714

View attachment 10713

View attachment 10712

Key Takeaways

I ALWAYS stick a notice inside my suitcase lid with my name, home address, mobile number, flight number, time out, destination and if you know it - the hotel you will be going to and any other notes you think could be relevant. PLUS carry a reverse note for return trip.
I have travelled a lot & never had "Lost Luggage" BUT 2022 - I used a local airport bus to Tullamarine (all good) but there was a very rude, impatient lady on the small bus, she grabbed HER suitcase and rushed off. I in turn took 'mine' and was waiting to book in, when my mobile rang, after all these years, in my home town, NOT EVEN LOST LUGGAGE but I had to meet airport person at another area & found it was this horrible woman, had picked up my suitcase by mistake and my label inside found me immediately.
Never did find out how it was found out to be not hers, must have opened it for some reason? So, my system worked when I REALLY needed it, not lost but could well have been taken to who knows where by an unknown traveller. I didn't even realise we had the same coloured suitcases! Marjorie

'One of the worlds busiest airports'? Auckland? 6.5 m passengers v Sydney, 44.5m. Annually! Ya don't half exaggerate do ya? A case of never let the facts get in the way of a good story?

I ALWAYS stick a notice inside my suitcase lid with my name, home address, mobile number, flight number, time out, destination and if you know it - the hotel you will be going to and any other notes you think could be relevant. PLUS carry a reverse note for return trip.
I have travelled a lot & never had "Lost Luggage" BUT 2022 - I used a local airport bus to Tullamarine (all good) but there was a very rude, impatient lady on the small bus, she grabbed HER suitcase and rushed off. I in turn took 'mine' and was waiting to book in, when my mobile rang, after all these years, in my home town, NOT EVEN LOST LUGGAGE but I had to meet airport person at another area & found it was this horrible woman, had picked up my suitcase by mistake and my label inside found me immediately.
Never did find out how it was found out to be not hers, must have opened it for some reason? So, my system worked when I REALLY needed it, not lost but could well have been taken to who knows where by an unknown traveller. I didn't even realise we had the same coloured suitcases! Marjorie
Putting all that info inside your bag, may not help you. Having worked at an International airport, bags are never opened, even in the case of a suspicious item (weapons etc) picked up in an Xray, the bag is only opened & inspected in front of the owner. Anybody doing otherwise would be dismissed on the spot.

View attachment 10714

View attachment 10713

View attachment 10712

Key Takeaways

It is going to get worse over time as staff shortages will continue increase as the JAB takes more and more effect on the population of the world... shortage in our health care systems are already showing many staff shortages causing so many delays and cancellations of procedures.... I wont fly anymore....

The piles of unclaimed belongings described by Debi Flutter's daughter, Samantha, sound like an outrageous amount and it's understandable that travelers would be frustrated by the situation. The airport's statement that there was a shortage of staff to process the missing luggage highlights the impact that staff shortages in the aviation industry can have on travel and the chaos it can cause at airports.

It's important to note that the responsibility for mishandled bags lies with the airlines who sold the tickets, not the airport. It's reassuring to hear that Auckland Airport is working with airlines and their ground handlers to come up with solutions to fix the ongoing problem. However, it's important to keep in mind that business class flights may have different baggage policies and services.

Last edited: