Attention shoppers! Coles unveils the ‘biggest sale of the year’ with 50 per cent off essentials – but there’s a catch

Considering how we’ve been constantly bombarded by news of soaring grocery prices in the past few months, Coles announcing their biggest sale of the year sounds like music to our ears – only there’s a wee bit of a catch.

The retail giant is offering 20 per cent off alcohol and 50 per cent off more than 500 ‘everyday essentials’, including laundry items, olive oil, ice cream, cleaning products, and dairy products.

But the good news doesn’t end there. Coles is also ‘supercharging’ Flybuys points, meaning the points that shoppers earn from all their purchases are tripled, while new customers receive 30x points on their first shop.

The catch is that the sale will take place online only. Shoppers can place their orders on Coles’ website and have their goods delivered directly to their front door.

pWpVAdVSzz5lmtWkmlgrmXlIwpqalPyPsE-ICj0MEf2tq0StjeuQ5hC6f1YBGGeD1TkkPbOmkXTfE8QE_jN6LyVXE3wNhU2ecQxnrRm2huTNVw31njQsObeEagFK4GDUZOWpAhak2xVl_IX0MgsTh8U

Coles launched a massive sale. Source: Inlife Magazine

‘Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have expanded our Home Delivery stores by over 25 per cent to improve our service and provide more flexibility,’ Coles General Manager of eCommerce, Merchandising and Operations, Mark O’Connor shared.

‘This is in addition to Click & Collect now being in more than 740 stores for a direct-to-boot service and offering same-day delivery options in more than 520 stores nationally. This increased capacity helps us provide this amazing offer to our customers when they need it most.

‘With a focus on helping to keep the cost of the weekly shop down, for the next two weeks Coles Online has exclusive discounts of up to 50 per cent available on more than 500 items for our shoppers across the store,’ he continued.

‘These discounts are in addition to the thousands of specials we already have available for customers in-store and online.

‘With 20 per cent off on our entire Liquor range online, it’s like Christmas in July with thousands of choices available for our customers to save on their refreshments to enjoy at home or with friends.

‘Topped off with bonus Flybuys points to be used on rewards in the future – this is the biggest sale we have had at Coles Online this year.’

The highly anticipated sale has officially launched online and is available until the 2nd of August.

g26pBGucICHmLYCz-W-1Nd8w8HE9RtxEpQle1si4CtZDGX2gWQ-p9CSJZkOFp20AsR6M04uciHcB-e_Q_p1V4zx-IQJHxa51OzjyPeJQktthVfUFrz8XAVMZ0foszmEXSuRxQnZrUkdgL4JRMHlxM94
t7Yld-dbdFlIOc8KUWaCABUMjIUh9VTNyqw9ybc85Q3WHd1cBdal9Xlh-OJlMYlgQ82rgan4C9TOFomPsHmx8N690jK6ZyNvJny0peeznruIHmMp6C0bjaRszFPCZFnSvTgh5iuKpwvi-leOUM66Wa0

Time to stock up on essentials! Source: news.com.au

Among the deals included in the sale are the following:
  • 40 per cent off on Vittoria Coffee Ground (500g) - its usual price is $17 each, now two for $20
  • Connoisseur Ice Cream Classic Vanilla (1 litre) - its usual price is $12, now $5.75
  • Fluffy Divine Blends Concentrated Fabric Conditioner (1.9 litres) - its usual price is $13, now $6.50
  • Cobram Extra Virgin Oil (250 millilitres) - its usual price is $7.70 each, now two for $12
  • Décor Vent & Seal Leak Proof Glass Container (1 litre) - its usual price is $11.50, now $5.75

Shoppers who spend more than $250 in one transaction are eligible for an additional $20 off their shop by using the code ‘VALUE20’ upon checking out online. In addition, Coles also offers free delivery for customers with a single purchase of over $250. Not too shabby, eh?

Here’s to more opportunities that will help us stretch our grocery budgets! What are your thoughts on this story? Better yet, will you be participating in Coles’ biggest sale of the year? Let us know in the comments!

Learn more about the supermarket giant’s sale by watching the video below:

Source: 7NEWS Australia

Sponsored
Well then, tell me this DavidC57..........

Yes I have watched it a number of times DavidC57.......... no mention in the news item of the mathematically incorrect items or prices there.
I don't point out the glaring mistakes for any reason OTHER THAN to show that what is written is not checked for correctness first. Its all too common in society now......... rush in and get a story out, the correctness or truth don't seem to both editors at all so long as their article (copied, repeated or imagined) alarms the reader.
You are welcome too DavidC57....
The article quotes the Coles General Manager of eCommerce, Merchandising and Operations, Mark O’Connor (in part)......

,,,,,"With a focus on helping to keep the cost of the weekly shop down, for the next two weeks Coles Online has exclusive discounts of up to 50 per cent available on more than 500 items for our shoppers across the store."

The operative words are "up to 50 per cent"

So, the article is correct, with some items 50% off, and other items(eg the Vittorio Coffee,(says 40% off) and the Cobram Olive Oil) are "up to 50 per cent" off.

There was also no mention of having to spend a minimum $250, as several members comments alluded to!!

I did an online order for $52.37, saved $36.40, and only paid $2 for delivery!!

The SDC staff work hard to source the articles, to put into the Daily Recap newsletter.

There were no mistakes in the article, as most members read it correctly,

Last edited:
Life must be particularly difficult for you in your 100% literal world. Have you never made approximations, given a rough guide, guessed, given a ballpark figure or heard of poetic license? You are quibbling about 2 out of 5 items listed and 500 in total. OK, sure they might have put in other things to get their 50% sale notice out there but I bet you sure got the idea that things were on sale. Don't blame SDC as they were only re-producing the article from somewhere else or are you proposing that SDC not tell us things if there is an error in the body of the article?

I for one cannot praise the team at SDC highly enough for scouring the web to bring us the variety of content they do. I look forward to receiving my daily email and find that I am able to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar mistake for the amount of effort I know they have put in each and every day.

Try to remember, nobody is perfect and it's those imperfections that make us unique and special.:)
(copied, repeated or imagined) alarms the reader.
You are welcome too DavidC57....

Reactions:Ricci

So why give my reply the thumbs up (like) and then criticize it on the very next line?

From my literal world I see that yours comes with a fair amount of hypocrisy built in

How about equal incentives for people who shop in the store supporting more workers instead of cost cutting exercises for profit.

Reactions: ElizabethL
Need to go to the bank for a loan
It's a pathetic offer . I tried it once and because I was $10 short due to the fact that they could not supply about $40 worth of products I ordered , they would not honour it. Really pathetic. Never again.

Considering how we’ve been constantly bombarded by news of soaring grocery prices in the past few months, Coles announcing their biggest sale of the year sounds like music to our ears – only there’s a wee bit of a catch.

The retail giant is offering 20 per cent off alcohol and 50 per cent off more than 500 ‘everyday essentials’, including laundry items, olive oil, ice cream, cleaning products, and dairy products.

But the good news doesn’t end there. Coles is also ‘supercharging’ Flybuys points, meaning the points that shoppers earn from all their purchases are tripled, while new customers receive 30x points on their first shop.

The catch is that the sale will take place online only. Shoppers can place their orders on Coles’ website and have their goods delivered directly to their front door.

pWpVAdVSzz5lmtWkmlgrmXlIwpqalPyPsE-ICj0MEf2tq0StjeuQ5hC6f1YBGGeD1TkkPbOmkXTfE8QE_jN6LyVXE3wNhU2ecQxnrRm2huTNVw31njQsObeEagFK4GDUZOWpAhak2xVl_IX0MgsTh8U

‘Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have expanded our Home Delivery stores by over 25 per cent to improve our service and provide more flexibility,’ Coles General Manager of eCommerce, Merchandising and Operations, Mark O’Connor shared.

‘This is in addition to Click & Collect now being in more than 740 stores for a direct-to-boot service and offering same-day delivery options in more than 520 stores nationally. This increased capacity helps us provide this amazing offer to our customers when they need it most.

‘With a focus on helping to keep the cost of the weekly shop down, for the next two weeks Coles Online has exclusive discounts of up to 50 per cent available on more than 500 items for our shoppers across the store,’ he continued.

‘These discounts are in addition to the thousands of specials we already have available for customers in-store and online.

‘With 20 per cent off on our entire Liquor range online, it’s like Christmas in July with thousands of choices available for our customers to save on their refreshments to enjoy at home or with friends.

‘Topped off with bonus Flybuys points to be used on rewards in the future – this is the biggest sale we have had at Coles Online this year.’

The highly anticipated sale has officially launched online and is available until the 2nd of August.

g26pBGucICHmLYCz-W-1Nd8w8HE9RtxEpQle1si4CtZDGX2gWQ-p9CSJZkOFp20AsR6M04uciHcB-e_Q_p1V4zx-IQJHxa51OzjyPeJQktthVfUFrz8XAVMZ0foszmEXSuRxQnZrUkdgL4JRMHlxM94
t7Yld-dbdFlIOc8KUWaCABUMjIUh9VTNyqw9ybc85Q3WHd1cBdal9Xlh-OJlMYlgQ82rgan4C9TOFomPsHmx8N690jK6ZyNvJny0peeznruIHmMp6C0bjaRszFPCZFnSvTgh5iuKpwvi-leOUM66Wa0

• 40 per cent off on Vittoria Coffee Ground (500g) - its usual price is $17 each, now two for $20
  • Connoisseur Ice Cream Classic Vanilla (1 litre) - its usual price is $12, now $5.75
  • Fluffy Divine Blends Concentrated Fabric Conditioner (1.9 litres) - its usual price is $13, now $6.50
  • Cobram Extra Virgin Oil (250 millilitres) - its usual price is $7.70 each, now two for $12
  • Décor Vent & Seal Leak Proof Glass Container (1 litre) - its usual price is $11.50, now $5.75

Shoppers who spend more than $250 in one transaction are eligible for an additional $20 off their shop by using the code ‘VALUE20’ upon checking out online. In addition, Coles also offers free delivery for customers with a single purchase of over $250. Not too shabby, eh?

Here’s to more opportunities that will help us stretch our grocery budgets! What are your thoughts on this story? Better yet, will you be participating in Coles’ biggest sale of the year? Let us know in the comments!

As a senior couple we never spend $250 in a single transaction....never gone over $50 at any one time so this offer is useless to me as others have said

Trouble is the people that need it the don't use the internet to shop or have $250.00 to spend on one shop come on Supermarkets get fair dinkum for the Pensioner

It is not difficult to purchase over $100 when you include alcohol in your order, and I find that when I purchase my husband's beer with my groceries, I can easily qualify for Free Delivery as well as the triple Flybuys points.

How about equal incentives for people who shop in the store supporting more workers instead of cost cutting exercises for profit.
Maybe Coles idea might be to keep customers out of the stores so that they can have less staff than they do now and ultimately, in a few years, go totally online. Just a thought 🤔

Reactions: Ricci
It’s not fair to pensioners who don’t buy enough or buy online. Also in Queensland you can’t buy alcohol through Coles anyway so that doesn’t help get to $250.

It’s not fair to pensioners who don’t buy enough or buy online. Also in Queensland you can’t buy alcohol through Coles anyway so that doesn’t help get to $250.
There will be more fine print catches on here than a sticky fly bait.

Oh, here we go again,..... more members who haven't read the article properly!!

To all Members above this comment, AM I missing something??

At NO TIME does the article say you MUST spend a MINIMUM amount ($250).

The article says:-
"Shoppers who spend more than $250 in one transaction are eligible for an additional $20 off their shop by using a promo code (currently BLACKFRIDAY) upon checking out online."

( This is an incentive aimed at large families, to shop, and save $20, NOT the everyday Senior, or Pensioner)

As for the SDC members,........
on the Coles site, you can order and spend what you like, and what you want,(min spend $50), BUT a delivery Fee MAY apply!! Deliveries
  1. Monday to Friday: 6am - 10pm
  2. Saturday: 7am – 10pm
  3. Sunday: 8am – 7pm
For a 6 hour delivery window, a $4.00 delivery fee applies

For Mid-week (Tue, Wed & Thu), a Discounted Delivery Fee of $2.00 applies

Would you prefer to shop instore,
or online, ...........and begrudge paying from $2 to have it delivered???

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding, and misinterpretation, of the Coles Promotion, as mentioned above!

PS I am in no way associated or connected with Coles, just a very researched consumer!