Attention pet owners! One state paves the way for a potentially nationwide ‘Veticare’ scheme providing free or subsidised vet care

A wise person once said that you shouldn’t get a pet if you can’t afford to provide them with their basic needs, which of course, include occasional visits to the vet. But even if most fur parents can technically afford vet care, we can’t deny that they cost an arm and a leg. And if you have pet insurance, the premium climbs year after year.

Luckily, one Victorian animal rights MP is paving the way to accessible and cheap vet care for pet owners across Australia. However, not everyone is impressed by the initiative.

Animal Justice Party MP Andy Meddick proposed the ‘Veticare’ scheme to the Victorian parliament on Tuesday, mimicking the Medicare system by providing free or subsidised vet care for eligible animals. The proposal includes establishing public vet hospitals, upskilling vet nurses, and a bulk-billing model for vet care.

JxmIZBuzDs1_3vJfa2KckVgHWuXzFifEwb-d4pRxdRDUTJEG_qU1OiKJYeygXWJHJhBg7xjGokLxyDmBB2OBqiKk0uwELpHO6WLo5a-f59fIv8cc4JosdxTrg-cIDAJEDErQhUFM8E25WCyxq86QdXA

Affordable vet care for our best friends! Source: Pet Professional Insurance

‘Australia has a vet shortage crisis, and it is not just creating animal welfare issues, it is driving up prices and placing unimaginable pressure on vets to work overtime, unsupported,’ Mr Meddick said.

‘Just like how we can visit our doctors with a Medicare card, Veticare creates public clinics allowing for free or low-cost appointments.’

So, which animals are eligible? If passed, every pet owner residing in Victoria will be eligible to have the scheduled fee covered for their vet appointment (as one would with Medicare), but the gap fee could vary depending on the owner’s financial situation.

This means that concession, pension, and healthcare cardholders could see their entire bill covered under Veticare.

The program applies to companion animals that need vet care, from yearly check-ups and injections to more serious operations.

Mr Meddick explained: ‘Veticare would relieve the pressure on vets, who are expected to manage injured or displaced wildlife brought in by the public on top of paying clients.’

Although he admitted to not knowing how much the scheme would cost, he said: ‘It’s not really about how much it’s going to cost to implement but what it will cost if we don’t do this preventative measure,’

‘If we continue to go down the path we’re taking, in just a few short years, it will cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars to reinvest in the sector and bring it up from scratch.’

QEv2blIVn9pVMlJbZ2irQtnIre2vYmR0h_oYGnoIgV0l2WUsjsPHDVfVuZ98T6KZ8VLkcLN7Arf2363tuo40g0obinWoy5MTwuOzrkcV9RgRD2-YS2mCvuJRkH5pbwOX_Duql8HdqpPF_JDc4NP4Zyo

The program applies to companion animals. Source: People

Australian Veterinary Association President Bronwyn Orr supported the motion but pointed out that there were other issues that needed to be addressed first.

‘It’s all fair and good to have subsidised veterinary care but you actually need to have the veterinarians in place to do that,’ she explained.

‘There has not been enough investment in the profession and it’s leading to some rural and regional places actually not having any vets at all. If you have subsidised vet care, it’s not much use if you can’t actually get in to see a vet.

‘There should be incentives such as reducing student debt for new graduates to ensure that vets are located across the country.’

Mr Meddick’s plan to support vet nurses to become nurse practitioners will also take some time, she continued.

‘Currently, veterinary nursing is not even a standardised regulated profession,’

‘We’re really supportive of getting nurses credentialed and registered. That’s the first step.’

EHCm803RfEgpbo-Nt29YHtMOscMWKF_Ust5NniVlbj-RE7Sw4EAops0XrTWQPN7oY-qHv81Bnkax6fwmYaFjFqZnG-vukmq_N9wiAM18UOub4TVg4ockd_mSJuyEu3xHZq8DExmR9PS8M5P-YwcOXa4

Dr Orr stated that we needed to address the vet crisis first. Source: Daily Telegraph

When asked if the government is in favour of the initiative, a spokesperson said that animal welfare was a priority and it is currently drafting new legislation to replace the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.

‘Animals play an important role in the lives of so many Australians, and we’re consulting with communities and farmers to ensure that we get the reforms right.’ they stated.

What are your thoughts on Andy Meddick’s Veticare scheme? Is it worth the shot or is it a little ambitious? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
A wise person once said that you shouldn’t get a pet if you can’t afford to provide them with their basic needs, which of course, include occasional visits to the vet. But even if most fur parents can technically afford vet care, we can’t deny that they cost an arm and a leg. And if you have pet insurance, the premium climbs year after year.

Luckily, one Victorian animal rights MP is paving the way to accessible and cheap vet care for pet owners across Australia. However, not everyone is impressed by the initiative.

Animal Justice Party MP Andy Meddick proposed the ‘Veticare’ scheme to the Victorian parliament on Tuesday, mimicking the Medicare system by providing free or subsidised vet care for eligible animals. The proposal includes establishing public vet hospitals, upskilling vet nurses, and a bulk-billing model for vet care.

JxmIZBuzDs1_3vJfa2KckVgHWuXzFifEwb-d4pRxdRDUTJEG_qU1OiKJYeygXWJHJhBg7xjGokLxyDmBB2OBqiKk0uwELpHO6WLo5a-f59fIv8cc4JosdxTrg-cIDAJEDErQhUFM8E25WCyxq86QdXA

Affordable vet care for our best friends! Source: Pet Professional Insurance

‘Australia has a vet shortage crisis, and it is not just creating animal welfare issues, it is driving up prices and placing unimaginable pressure on vets to work overtime, unsupported,’ Mr Meddick said.

‘Just like how we can visit our doctors with a Medicare card, Veticare creates public clinics allowing for free or low-cost appointments.’

So, which animals are eligible? If passed, every pet owner residing in Victoria will be eligible to have the scheduled fee covered for their vet appointment (as one would with Medicare), but the gap fee could vary depending on the owner’s financial situation.

This means that concession, pension, and healthcare cardholders could see their entire bill covered under Veticare.

The program applies to companion animals that need vet care, from yearly check-ups and injections to more serious operations.

Mr Meddick explained: ‘Veticare would relieve the pressure on vets, who are expected to manage injured or displaced wildlife brought in by the public on top of paying clients.’

Although he admitted to not knowing how much the scheme would cost, he said: ‘It’s not really about how much it’s going to cost to implement but what it will cost if we don’t do this preventative measure,’

‘If we continue to go down the path we’re taking, in just a few short years, it will cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars to reinvest in the sector and bring it up from scratch.’

QEv2blIVn9pVMlJbZ2irQtnIre2vYmR0h_oYGnoIgV0l2WUsjsPHDVfVuZ98T6KZ8VLkcLN7Arf2363tuo40g0obinWoy5MTwuOzrkcV9RgRD2-YS2mCvuJRkH5pbwOX_Duql8HdqpPF_JDc4NP4Zyo

The program applies to companion animals. Source: People

Australian Veterinary Association President Bronwyn Orr supported the motion but pointed out that there were other issues that needed to be addressed first.

‘It’s all fair and good to have subsidised veterinary care but you actually need to have the veterinarians in place to do that,’ she explained.

‘There has not been enough investment in the profession and it’s leading to some rural and regional places actually not having any vets at all. If you have subsidised vet care, it’s not much use if you can’t actually get in to see a vet.

‘There should be incentives such as reducing student debt for new graduates to ensure that vets are located across the country.’

Mr Meddick’s plan to support vet nurses to become nurse practitioners will also take some time, she continued.

‘Currently, veterinary nursing is not even a standardised regulated profession,’

‘We’re really supportive of getting nurses credentialed and registered. That’s the first step.’

EHCm803RfEgpbo-Nt29YHtMOscMWKF_Ust5NniVlbj-RE7Sw4EAops0XrTWQPN7oY-qHv81Bnkax6fwmYaFjFqZnG-vukmq_N9wiAM18UOub4TVg4ockd_mSJuyEu3xHZq8DExmR9PS8M5P-YwcOXa4

Dr Orr stated that we needed to address the vet crisis first. Source: Daily Telegraph

When asked if the government is in favour of the initiative, a spokesperson said that animal welfare was a priority and it is currently drafting new legislation to replace the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986.

‘Animals play an important role in the lives of so many Australians, and we’re consulting with communities and farmers to ensure that we get the reforms right.’ they stated.

What are your thoughts on Andy Meddick’s Veticare scheme? Is it worth the shot or is it a little ambitious? Let us know in the comments below!
Most medical centres do not bulk bill now except for under 16 and DVA ( so they should). Have to wait 2 weeks, if lucky, just to see a GP. The medical system is in a shambles. Does Medici really think that Veticare would fare any better?

Reactions: Dee G and Ricci
You take on a pet in good faith and treat them but vet costs and human medical costs are increasing exponentially. You have to budget for major pet issues and I think this idea is a good one. I hope it gets off the ground but doesn't damage the vet professionals in trying to see too many animals. I value my vets greatly as they have always been there for my with my cats, especially in emergencies. I hope this new scheme wouldn't damage vets in that regard. That is also why I struggle to pay pet insurance.

My two little fluff balls are fit and healthy at the moment but just like me they are getting older and things are beginning to get a bit creaky. It would be of great peace of mind to know that basic pet care was available from a system similar to medicare. My two are rescue dogs and nobody is quite sure of their makeup so I have no idea if any of the breed problems might rear their heads in the future so planning is a bit hit and miss.;)

I live in Queensland and am on a Disability Pension and Vet bills used to be a scary thought, until my local clinic told me about going on line and applying for Vetpay. Since then, I’ve never been hesitant to take my sick pet straight away for help. I’m not sure how ‘Australia wide’ this plan is, but I certainly recommend asking your Vet if they accept it. It’s a bit like a credit system whereby Vetpay provide a dollar amount available, and monthly payments are then more affordable to pay off your account. Like every scheme, there is a slight monthly fee but I don’t find it unmanageable and unless the set up has changed, it’s Not just available to pension card holders.

I live in Queensland and am on a Disability Pension and Vet bills used to be a scary thought, until my local clinic told me about going on line and applying for Vetpay. Since then, I’ve never been hesitant to take my sick pet straight away for help. I’m not sure how ‘Australia wide’ this plan is, but I certainly recommend asking your Vet if they accept it. It’s a bit like a credit system whereby Vetpay provide a dollar amount available, and monthly payments are then more affordable to pay off your account. Like every scheme, there is a slight monthly fee but I don’t find it unmanageable and unless the set up has changed, it’s Not just available to pension card holders.
I live in Queensland also and haven't heard of this, thank you I will ask my Vet about Vetpay. I am also on a Pension.

Reactions: barbwire and Ricci
How will it be paid ? Exactly like Medicare , from our taxes which means our taxes will go up

I know pets have to be looked after and vet bills are huge.

My mums dog is her best friend and her pet bill was huge , so she will love veticare.

I think it's the most stupid thing I have heard off especially when our age care are in such poor condition.

The money needs to be put into something much more important
Age care
Domestic violence
Mental illness
Special needs

They are now looking at making changes to our visit to our doctor , where they are taking away bulk billing , which will see many sick people not seeking help

The list is endless, it's like I say to my kids , if you can't afford a car then don't have one.
If you can't afford a pet then don't have one.

We need to look after humans firstly

Reactions: Ricci
How will it be paid ? Exactly like Medicare , from our taxes which means our taxes will go up

I know pets have to be looked after and vet bills are huge.

My mums dog is her best friend and her pet bill was huge , so she will love veticare.

I think it's the most stupid thing I have heard off especially when our age care are in such poor condition.

The money needs to be put into something much more important
Age care
Domestic violence
Mental illness
Special needs

They are now looking at making changes to our visit to our doctor , where they are taking away bulk billing , which will see many sick people not seeking help

The list is endless, it's like I say to my kids , if you can't afford a car then don't have one.
If you can't afford a pet then don't have one.

We need to look after humans firstly
when I got my furbaby I COULD afford her! What are you saying? put her down because my finances have changed???

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Liz
It could be actually a good idea for solving the horrible vet situation in Australia, but it isn’t. As the main reason, as somebody above has said, the money for this Veticare would be taken from our taxes and they’re already high and there would be people who wouldn't be able to afford it... Secondly, nonetheless, in most of the cases the pet in the family is considered its member, not every family has one. So why should they pay for the vets? And for the main reason why it is not a good idea stands the fact that nobody is going to increase the quantity of vets and veterinary assistants properly. It’s not hard to apply for being a veterinary assistant (as described at https://www.veterinaryschoolsu.com/), it’s hard to work as one. Not only are their salaries low, the attitude to them is horrible. So the first thing that should be done is to raise the salaries, so at least there are people working in the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci