SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Attention, cat parents! What are some of your best tips for raising cats?

Members, I've been feeling giddy. After spending plenty of time weighing the pros and the cons, I've made a decision and am preparing to get a second cat! Woohoo! All the cat parents know that one fur ball isn't enough. But I have a slight dilemma... My cat, Tootsie, has never been around other cats before... So I've been slowly introducing him to his soon-to-be best friend, Eggroll. Do you have any cat parenting tips up your sleeve for me?

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 8.58.50 AM.png
I have only been taking care of Tootsie for about a year and I believe there's always something new to learn from more experienced pet owners. So if you know the best way to introduce cats or if you know some random tricks on how to keep these lovely furballs happy and healthy, then please feel free to comment them down below! I would love it if you could include a picture of your cat (or cats) too! ❤️

Your kitties are gorgeous! We have two cats, Cosmo (15 year old Norwegian Forest Cat) and Castiel (9 year old Maine Coon). I have had cats all my life, and you are right, introductions are very important. Take it slowly and make sure Tootsie still gets all the attention she is used to, plus a bit extra! It is best to keep the new kitten in a confined space for the first week or so. We always used our bedroom/ensuite as the kitten room, and temporarily installed an old flyscreen door, so the cats could see and smell each other. You can also feed them on either side of the screen door, so they associate the other cat with something nice. Try looking up Jackson Galaxy videos on You Tube, he has some good ones on introducing a new kitten.20200620_193438.jpg

Members, I've been feeling giddy. After spending plenty of time weighing the pros and the cons, I've made a decision and am preparing to get a second cat! Woohoo! All the cat parents know that one fur ball isn't enough. But I have a slight dilemma... My cat, Tootsie, has never been around other cats before... So I've been slowly introducing him to his soon-to-be best friend, Eggroll. Do you have any cat parenting tips up your sleeve for me?

I have only been taking care of Tootsie for about a year and I believe there's always something new to learn from more experienced pet owners. So if you know the best way to introduce cats or if you know some random tricks on how to keep these lovely furballs happy and healthy, then please feel free to comment them down below! I would love it if you could include a picture of your cat (or cats) too! ❤️
OMG how cute are those fur babies 😍😍😍

I was always of the opinion that cats raised their masters. Hence the statement,"Dogs have masters, cats
have slaves". Yes we have two furry masters, but no mice.

Growing up was in North Western NSW, we normally had about 6 cats, we killed our own meat. Cats would hear my father gathering up knives and steel and dropping them in a galvanised bucket, kept exclusively for milking and killing, the cats would then very casually head off in a column and spaced about 10 feet apart, straight to the gallows, where upon they formed a ring around the slab and waited patiently for their rewards.

Last edited:
At one point I had 15 and am now as of a week ago down to 3. I agree with ElleJay having also used a cat room- aka bedroom and ensuite to give separate areas at first. The kits will tell you how fast or slow. One of mine, a kitten, was instant in less than a day joining the others- she escaped into the lounge, another took a week, and some up to a month with supervised play periods. Always had plenty of water bowls and food bowls far enough part and areas to allow them space. Same with litter trays- min. of 3 for you, as its always one more than the number of cats. And likewise place in their favourite hang out space where they feel safe. All this helps for them to not feel overwhelmed nor feel as they can't get away if they need to.
One friend has 2 cats who came to the household 2 years ago and although both had lived in multi cat households they were wary of each other (they were both small and used to be chased). They have never attacked each other. It took about 6 months to be in the same room at the same time. They gave each other a wide berth. It's now 2 years and they can eat near each other in the kitchen, and can be on a parents lap each. it's been patience for them. They are all so very different. Generally if they are young it seems to be easier.
Enjoy.
(I used to do the same with dogs)

We've always had cats & dogs. All of them have different personalities. Some are very outgoing & friendly, while others are sensitive & shy.
It would also depend on Tootsie, if she's territorial or couldn't care less about the introduction.
At the moment, we only have one cat as our other cat died a few months ago.
She is 12yr & is happy to be the only cat in the house now.
Good luck for Tootsie & Eggroll having a terrific life together.

Your kitties are gorgeous! We have two cats, Cosmo (15 year old Norwegian Forest Cat) and Castiel (9 year old Maine Coon). I have had cats all my life, and you are right, introductions are very important. Take it slowly and make sure Tootsie still gets all the attention she is used to, plus a bit extra! It is best to keep the new kitten in a confined space for the first week or so. We always used our bedroom/ensuite as the kitten room, and temporarily installed an old flyscreen door, so the cats could see and smell each other. You can also feed them on either side of the screen door, so they associate the other cat with something nice. Try looking up Jackson Galaxy videos on You Tube, he has some good ones on introducing a new kitten.View attachment 14557
Your cats are ALSO beautiful and OH MY, I LOVE JACKSON GALAXY! I always watch his Cat From Hell episodes. I've learned a lot from him! Thank you for these wonderful tips, @ElleJay!

Reactions: ElleJay and MarieL
How gorgeous you kittens are, love, love their names❤️ We adopted Minnie when she was 10, she is now 19, has brought so much joy into our lives, just give plenty of love and you can’t go wrong ❤️View attachment 14546
WOW! She is 19?! I would give up everything I have for my cats to live that long too. Please give Minnie plenty of kisses and pets for me!

Reactions: MarieL
At one point I had 15 and am now as of a week ago down to 3. I agree with ElleJay having also used a cat room- aka bedroom and ensuite to give separate areas at first. The kits will tell you how fast or slow. One of mine, a kitten, was instant in less than a day joining the others- she escaped into the lounge, another took a week, and some up to a month with supervised play periods. Always had plenty of water bowls and food bowls far enough part and areas to allow them space. Same with litter trays- min. of 3 for you, as its always one more than the number of cats. And likewise place in their favourite hang out space where they feel safe. All this helps for them to not feel overwhelmed nor feel as they can't get away if they need to.
One friend has 2 cats who came to the household 2 years ago and although both had lived in multi cat households they were wary of each other (they were both small and used to be chased). They have never attacked each other. It took about 6 months to be in the same room at the same time. They gave each other a wide berth. It's now 2 years and they can eat near each other in the kitchen, and can be on a parents lap each. it's been patience for them. They are all so very different. Generally if they are young it seems to be easier.
Enjoy.
(I used to do the same with dogs)
Ah, this is SO helpful, @Jennylolo! Thank you so much for taking the time to share these awesome tips with me. ❤️ I'll definitely keep the things you mentioned in mind.

They are both gorgeous cats Maddie.
I have a rescue rag doll little girl cat 🐈 😻 She used to go out for walks -(on a pink lead of course)!!- but not so much now as we have an enclosed back patio where she can sit in the sun. She always seems like a cat who wouldn't accept another cat. But one day we had a little visitor cat , a calico coloured Tonkenese boy cat, called Charlie. He was our neighbours cat, who'd somehow worked out how to get in our small garden. 🐾
After a few weeks of eyeballing each other, they just got on OK. - Sadly Charlie's elderly owner died. So he was adopted by another elderly lady, but a long way away. So no more visits. Having had cats most of my life, whenever I adopt a new cat(all rescue cats), I usually let them slowly get used to each other. But they all have different characters. No cat is the same! 🙂🐈🐾
Here is a picture of my Ragdoll, Cheri, attempting to convince us to give her a prawn! And a picture of her visiting boyfriend, Charlie, a Tonkenese. He has beautiful lavender coloured eyes.😺🐾🐾🙂

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1677382481700.jpg
    FB_IMG_1677382481700.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1676859977208.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676859977208.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
WOW! She is 19?! I would give up everything I have for my cats to live that long too. Please give Minnie plenty of kisses and pets for me!
I had a cat called Digby, a mainly white cat with black markings. He'd lived to over 25yrs. Plus when we migrated here, from England, we flew him out to Australia, with his 2 cat sisters + 2 German Shepherds! He loved his life in Australia even though he'd been used to snow. It was hilarious when he saw his 1st kangaroo !! 🙂😺🐾

They are both gorgeous cats Maddie.
I have a rescue rag doll little girl cat 🐈 😻 She used to go out for walks -(on a pink lead of course)!!- but not so much now as we have an enclosed back patio where she can sit in the sun. She always seems like a cat who wouldn't accept another cat. But one day we had a little visitor cat , a calico coloured Tonkenese boy cat, called Charlie. He was our neighbours cat, who'd somehow worked out how to get in our small garden. 🐾
After a few weeks of eyeballing each other, they just got on OK. - Sadly Charlie's elderly owner died. So he was adopted by another elderly lady, but a long way away. So no more visits. Having had cats most of my life, whenever I adopt a new cat(all rescue cats), I usually let them slowly get used to each other. But they all have different characters. No cat is the same! 🙂🐈🐾
Here is a picture of my Ragdoll, Cheri, attempting to convince us to give her a prawn! And a picture of her visiting boyfriend, Charlie, a Tonkenese. He has beautiful lavender coloured eyes.😺🐾🐾🙂
Here's a photo of Cheri wearing her pink walking lead. And settling on a sofa with her visiting boyfriend Charlie.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1676969509994.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676969509994.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1671593435201.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671593435201.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1671346893881.jpg
    FB_IMG_1671346893881.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: Penny4

Gorgeous furr babies 🥰

Reactions: MarieL

Attachments

• gorgeous3.jpg
    gorgeous3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
Your kitties are gorgeous! We have two cats, Cosmo (15 year old Norwegian Forest Cat) and Castiel (9 year old Maine Coon). I have had cats all my life, and you are right, introductions are very important. Take it slowly and make sure Tootsie still gets all the attention she is used to, plus a bit extra! It is best to keep the new kitten in a confined space for the first week or so. We always used our bedroom/ensuite as the kitten room, and temporarily installed an old flyscreen door, so the cats could see and smell each other. You can also feed them on either side of the screen door, so they associate the other cat with something nice. Try looking up Jackson Galaxy videos on You Tube, he has some good ones on introducing a new kitten.View attachment 14557
OMG, they are spectacular!