Attention, Aussie drivers! Avoid a $556 fine with this little-known road rule

It's time to put down those mobile phones and focus on the road.

South Australia is rolling out new enforcement that could hit your wallet hard if you're caught distracted.

The state is cracking down on a little-known road rule, and ignorance won't save you from a hefty $556 fine and the loss of three demerit points.

South Australia has recently implemented mobile phone detection cameras as part of a significant $16 million safety initiative aimed at reducing road fatalities.

These high-tech eyes have been trialling throughout 2024, and the results are in: too many drivers are still reaching for their phones while behind the wheel.

shutterstock_141093541 (1).jpg
Doing this common act may cost you a $556 fine. Credit: Shutterstock

During the initial trials, an alarming number of drivers were caught in the act. In just two months, 71,044 drivers were spotted using their phones, and a subsequent trial in July nabbed another 31,000.

These figures are more than just statistics; they represent a widespread issue of distraction that could lead to serious accidents, injuries, or even fatalities.

The grace period provided by the authorities, which allowed drivers to adjust to the new surveillance without financial penalty, will end on Tuesday, 19 September.

From this date forward, the consequences of using a mobile phone while driving have become a reality, with fines and demerit points actively being enforced.

Superintendent Darren Fielke from the Traffic Services Branch expressed disappointment at the trial results.

'The cameras recorded at least one distracted motorist driving with their mobile phone less than every two minutes—this shows the extent of the issue relating to distraction we have on our roads,' Superintendent Fielke said.

‘We are giving South Australian drivers ample opportunity to change their driver behaviour and stop using a mobile phone while they are driving through this grace period.

'Distraction, including mobile phone use, is a significant contributor to crashes of all types on our roads.’

'Drivers who are not getting the message need to change their driving behaviour very quickly, or they’ll lose their licence, which in some cases could be their livelihood, or worst of all kill themselves or another innocent road user,’ he added.

Key Takeaways

• South Australia is implementing a crackdown on drivers using mobile phones with fines of $556 and the loss of three demerit points.
  • Mobile phone detection cameras are being utilised to spot offenders as part of a $16 million road safety initiative.
  • A three-month grace period was in place, which gave drivers the opportunity to adapt their behaviour, but fines will ensue from 19 September.
  • The trials with the new cameras have shown a high rate of offenses, with one motorist caught every two minutes during busy periods, indicating a serious issue with distraction on roads.

Have you found hands-free technology helpful, or do you have tips for other drivers on how to avoid the temptation of using your phone while driving? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
Do these cameras have sufficient resolution to differentiate between a mobile phone and a similarly sized and shaped item? Will a driver be fined for merely having such an object in their hands or does it have to be placed against one's ear?

How is talking on a phone more distracting than talking to one of your passengers? Other than picking up the phone and activating the call, is it any different from changing the settings on your car air conditioner or GPS? Both activities require the driver's attention to be diverted from the road ahead to the car dash but deemed legal. Individual State driver information mentions distractions other than mobile phones but does not say that such actions are an offence. Why?

I will admit that texting while driving is a totally different matter and is highly distracting.
I would demand that they give me the mobile positioning at the time od the alleged incident. They will be able to find that out by pinging the mobile tower that the phone was nearest at the time of the alleged incident.

I would demand that they give me the mobile positioning at the time od the alleged incident. They will be able to find that out by pinging the mobile tower that the phone was nearest at the time of the alleged incident.
My mobile phone and wallet are very similar sizes and colours. Could these cameras detect the difference?

Trouble is that I would like a goose talking into a wallet!

• Haha
Reactions: Jen77au
I use my phone for my GPS, as the one installed in my car is outdated (2007) and I can’t afford the $300+ that Toyota wants to charge me to update it. I believe my model is one of the earliest cars to have Bluetooth installed. Probably earlier in fancier cars! It also serves as my music/podcast player. In saying that, it sits in a cradle attached to my windscreen so it doesn’t obstruct my view and I set it up before I go anywhere. I have no need to touch it. I can answer calls through the Bluetooth in my car via the steering wheel or automatically after so many rings, which I’ve setup to do. Messages are not even remotely looked at until I get to my destination. If it’s important, they will call. If I didn’t know how to set it up myself, places like Autobahn and supercheap, etc can help you! I can be addicted to my phone, yes but not when I’m driving. With the Bluetooth technology being out for so long, it’s pretty much standard in cars nowadays. There’s no excuse. Emails, texts, social media, etc can wait. Yours and most importantly, other innocent people’s lives are what’s most important.
Hi, Go on Klevarange and get a large screen which is attached by suction and using the cigarette holder. You have everything on it, maps, take and receive hands free calls, radio and lots more. I am not trying to sell you one but I bought one as on pension and it is great. I dont make or receive calls while driving if I can help it as I find it does distract me a bit from my concentration.

Reactions: Jen77au
Queenslanders only get charged about $1500 for this fine.
And so it should be. The fine for the first occassion should be $1500 no if's or but's plus 6 demerit points.
Further occassions should be fined up to $2500 per event plus 10 points or manditory loss of licence for six months. For hoon caught in the act automatic confiscation of vehicle and if offence has caused injury or damage the vehicle confiscated and crushed. Speeds in excess of 50 Kmph over the signed speed limit - confiscation and crushed. Not being a crinch but if the offender has this in the back of their mind when driving then it may deter events and in some circumstance death of another party or passengers in the vehicle. Same goes for drunk driving WELL over the legal limit.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Queenslanders only get charged about $1500 for this fine.
That's because OUR politicians are deeply caring people with only somebody else's welfare in mind and not even a second's thought about raising any money from the general run of the population in the easiest manner possible.

Hi, Go on Klevarange and get a large screen which is attached by suction and using the cigarette holder. You have everything on it, maps, take and receive hands free calls, radio and lots more. I am not trying to sell you one but I bought one as on pension and it is great. I dont make or receive calls while driving if I can help it as I find it does distract me a bit from my concentration.
Thank you for your suggestion! I’ll definitely have a look. My car (2007 Aurion Presara) has a screen in it and I only use the reversing camera occasionally as the parking sensors have never worked since I bought it 3 years ago and if I’m in a tight spot. Usually it’s my mirrors, over the shoulders old school driving for me 😂. I’m hoping to trade it in within the next 6-12 months so I don’t want to outlay any money other than essential upkeep towards it. 😊

and yet is ok to be playing with your bloody touch screen in the middle of your dash to get music or adjust your car or navigation or internet, that's different.
Oh heck no! If you need to fix your gps pull the heck over!! For those of us who do the right thing, there’s 15 people out there who don’t 😡

Do these cameras have sufficient resolution to differentiate between a mobile phone and a similarly sized and shaped item? Will a driver be fined for merely having such an object in their hands or does it have to be placed against one's ear?

How is talking on a phone more distracting than talking to one of your passengers? Other than picking up the phone and activating the call, is it any different from changing the settings on your car air conditioner or GPS? Both activities require the driver's attention to be diverted from the road ahead to the car dash but deemed legal. Individual State driver information mentions distractions other than mobile phones but does not say that such actions are an offence. Why?

I will admit that texting while driving is a totally different matter and is highly distracting.
Its best to have both hands on the steerong wheel per the law

Its best to have both hands on the steerong wheel per the law
Not a law. Ever try changing gears in a manual vehicle by keeping two hands on the steering wheel at all times?

Would you like to make it a traffic offence to scratch your nose whilst driving? That requires to take one's hand off the steering wheel.

The law states that the driver must be in control of a vehicle at all time, not to have two hands on the steering wheel at all times.

I use my phone for my GPS, as the one installed in my car is outdated (2007) and I can’t afford the $300+ that Toyota wants to charge me to update it. I believe my model is one of the earliest cars to have Bluetooth installed. Probably earlier in fancier cars! It also serves as my music/podcast player. In saying that, it sits in a cradle attached to my windscreen so it doesn’t obstruct my view and I set it up before I go anywhere. I have no need to touch it. I can answer calls through the Bluetooth in my car via the steering wheel or automatically after so many rings, which I’ve setup to do. Messages are not even remotely looked at until I get to my destination. If it’s important, they will call. If I didn’t know how to set it up myself, places like Autobahn and supercheap, etc can help you! I can be addicted to my phone, yes but not when I’m driving. With the Bluetooth technology being out for so long, it’s pretty much standard in cars nowadays. There’s no excuse. Emails, texts, social media, etc can wait. Yours and most importantly, other innocent people’s lives are what’s most important.
It will cost more than $300 when your caught with the mobile!

I'm not even going to start when you have to take one of your hands off the steering wheel. The scenario's just keeps going on as the babbling brook.