Ask Joy: Learning to Live with Anxiety

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

If you’ve ever been on a rollercoaster ride, remember back to that time when you were slowly going up the hill, and you reached the top, and suddenly you were diving and swooping down the other side of the ride. The feelings you experience riding the rollercoasters are often similar to the feelings described when having anxiety without the fun.

shutterstock_512209156 (1).jpg
Like riding a rollercoaster… without the fun. Image Credit: Shutterstock

We all experience anxiety at different times, e.g. running late for a bus or forgetting to pay a bill; this is normal anxiety.

There are several signs you have clinical anxiety when these feelings continue for longer than a few weeks and/or interfere with you enjoying your life.
  • Feeling restless or on edge
  • Feeling irritable or quick to anger
  • Getting tired easily
  • Having difficulty concentrating or feeling your mind go blank
  • Having difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep
  • Feelings of tension in your body
  • A sense of impending panic, danger, or doom.
  • Increased heart rate
  • Sweating, shallow, rapid breathing or trembling

If these symptoms continue for more than a few weeks or are becoming intrusive in your daily life, then please seek medical attention.

Types of Anxiety
  1. Anxiety Disorder – Excessive worry, intrusive thoughts, fatigue.
  2. G.A.D. Generalised Anxiety Disorder – Anxiety that interferes with daily activities, excessive worry, emotional distress, and severe anxiety.
  3. Social Anxiety Disorder – Anxiety related to social interactions.
  4. Separation Anxiety – Fears being left alone, anxiety, crying, and apprehension. This is common among children who fear the loss of parents.
  5. O.C.D. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder – Excessive thoughts/obsessions that lead to repetitive/obsessive behaviours, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, dwelling on intrusive thoughts.

Ways to combat anxiety

Don’t beat yourself up about mistakes, financial worries, or things left undone. Do something constructive, even if it is a tiny footstep.

Sponsored
Thank you so much for this @Joy Straw .

I am the partner of someone living with anxiety. Someone for whom medications did not work (severe side effects) and who had always refused to go to therapy. I try to stay grounded and validate his feelings, but it's bl**dy hard!

Thank you so much for this @Joy Straw .

I am the partner of someone living with anxiety. Someone for whom medications did not work (severe side effects) and who had always refused to go to therapy. I try to stay grounded and validate his feelings, but it's bl**dy hard!
Hi Kat yes it’s incredibly difficult to support someone with anxiety or depression . Taking care of yourself is very important just as anxiety is exhausting for somebody with it so it is exhausting also for the person supporting them. Remember to take care of yourself. I’ve just written an article on therapy and I suggest if your partner will go along. Perhaps he would find a therapist that he could relate to. If he will not see therapist, it might be a good idea for you to see someone so that you don’t become overwhelmed by his condition. Best wishes.Joy 💖

Thank you, Joy. I want to ask whether you can recommend any very simple and easy to read books for my son who has OCD, drinks heavily (more binge-like, not every day), smokes and is very nervous when getting intoxicated. You can get my email address from the SDC team who have my permission to give it to you solely for the purpose of recommending some reading matter for my son. Or you can recommend some reading matter on this site which will also benefit others.

Very good article, with some positive and well-known ways to treat the issue. The one thing from my experience and research that I can add and is extremely useful is the ketogenic diet. This diet is based on deriving your bodies energy from ketones which are produced in the liver. Ketones are an alternative source of energy for the body and in fact are the preferred energy source for the brain. The ketogenic diet is well documented in terms of the positive impact it has on many neurological diseases, such as Dementia, Epilepsy, Parkinsons, Anxiety, Depression etc, of course there are a whole host of other benefits.

I would strongly advise looking into this lifestyle change and habit of eating. There are many books written on this subject and many instructional pod casts on the internet hosted by well-known and accredited professionals. My personal point of view and experience is that this would be vital for you.

Finally, another point of consideration and perhaps as an adjunct to my information is that one should strongly consider CBD Oil which is derived from the marijuana plant. There are many benefits from taking this oil and can be used as a transitional tool taking you away from medications (which can cause long term harm) and using more natural and organic methods. This can be prescribed by many GP's with most pharmacies now stocking it. Again, there are many pod casts and literature on this compound.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you, Joy. I want to ask whether you can recommend any very simple and easy to read books for my son who has OCD, drinks heavily (more binge-like, not every day), smokes and is very nervous when getting intoxicated. You can get my email address from the SDC team who have my permission to give it to you solely for the purpose of recommending some reading matter for my son. Or you can recommend some reading matter on this site which will also benefit others.
Hi Catherine I’ll respond privately and a general response on literature within the group soon🙏💖

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

If you’ve ever been on a rollercoaster ride, remember back to that time when you were slowly going up the hill, and you reached the top, and suddenly you were diving and swooping down the other side of the ride. The feelings you experience riding the rollercoasters are often similar to the feelings described when having anxiety without the fun.

View attachment 33604
Like riding a rollercoaster… without the fun. Image Credit: Shutterstock

We all experience anxiety at different times, e.g. running late for a bus or forgetting to pay a bill; this is normal anxiety.

There are several signs you have clinical anxiety when these feelings continue for longer than a few weeks and/or interfere with you enjoying your life.
  • Feeling restless or on edge
  • Feeling irritable or quick to anger
  • Getting tired easily
  • Having difficulty concentrating or feeling your mind go blank
  • Having difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep
  • Feelings of tension in your body
  • A sense of impending panic, danger, or doom.
  • Increased heart rate
  • Sweating, shallow, rapid breathing or trembling

If these symptoms continue for more than a few weeks or are becoming intrusive in your daily life, then please seek medical attention.

Types of Anxiety
  1. Anxiety Disorder – Excessive worry, intrusive thoughts, fatigue.
  2. G.A.D. Generalised Anxiety Disorder – Anxiety that interferes with daily activities, excessive worry, emotional distress, and severe anxiety.
  3. Social Anxiety Disorder – Anxiety related to social interactions.
  4. Separation Anxiety – Fears being left alone, anxiety, crying, and apprehension. This is common among children who fear the loss of parents.
  5. O.C.D. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder – Excessive thoughts/obsessions that lead to repetitive/obsessive behaviours, anxiety, compulsive behaviour, dwelling on intrusive thoughts.

Ways to combat anxiety

Don’t beat yourself up about mistakes, financial worries, or things left undone. Do something constructive, even if it is a tiny footstep.

please tell me how you can not be anxious when diagnosed with blood cancer. I can name 3 things for me. I handle my life my way, i try and not be angry, and i am grateful for each day.
So sorry to hear that Jest. I’ve lost a lot of loved ones for various cancers and currently have a daughter fighting cancer.
I wish you all the best ❤️

please tell me how you can not be anxious when diagnosed with blood cancer. I can name 3 things for me. I handle my life my way, i try and not be angry, and i am grateful for each day.
Dear Jest I don’t think it’s possible for anyone who is diagnosed with cancer to not be anxious, worried and fearful. I’m deeply sorry for what you’re going through and I only hope you know how much people in this community are wishing well for you the three things you are doing are excellent ways of combating anxiety. Be gentle with yourself, and I wish you strength and peace in the struggle.❤️‍🩹Joy

God Bless you Jest/ I do hope you continue to cope with your cancer and enjoy your life as best you can. Getting help and talking about issues that affect any/all of us in some way is the best thing that helps in addition to any medical advice/help. I have a relative with blood cancer as well and they suffer with continuing tiredness, it is not too aggressive at present and we hope they also manage their life as best they can.

Dear Jest I don’t think it’s possible for anyone who is diagnosed with cancer to not be anxious, worried and fearful. I’m deeply sorry for what you’re going through and I only hope you know how much people in this community are wishing well for you the three things you are doing are excellent ways of combating anxiety. Be gentle with yourself, and I wish you strength and peace in the struggle.❤️‍🩹Joy
thank you for your kindness.

Reactions: Bellclare
God Bless you Jest/ I do hope you continue to cope with your cancer and enjoy your life as best you can. Getting help and talking about issues that affect any/all of us in some way is the best thing that helps in addition to any medical advice/help. I have a relative with blood cancer as well and they suffer with continuing tiredness, it is not too aggressive at present and we hope they also manage their life as best they can.
thank you for your kindness.

Reactions: Joy Straw
A member has asked privately about suggestions for books that can help with OCD and anxiety. OCD and anxiety in general works best with CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) as it’s the unwanted and intrusive thoughts that give rise to anxious behaviours.
The following are some suggested reading but if the issues continue medical intervention may be necessary. It’s important, To take care of the carer as well. “Loving Someone with OCD” Landsman, Parrish and Pedrick
“Self Compassion Workbook” Quinlan
“When a Family Member has OCD” Hershfield & Bell
These are just some currently available and an old one but a good one that has been republished regularly is
Feel the Fear and do it anyway” Susan Jeffers

Reactions: DLHM
Thank you Joy.
I bought the book “Feel the Fear…” by Susan Jeffers many years ago and have loaned it to numerous family members and close friends over time. Lots have benefited from it. 👍🏻

• Love
Very good article, with some positive and well-known ways to treat the issue. The one thing from my experience and research that I can add and is extremely useful is the ketogenic diet. This diet is based on deriving your bodies energy from ketones which are produced in the liver. Ketones are an alternative source of energy for the body and in fact are the preferred energy source for the brain. The ketogenic diet is well documented in terms of the positive impact it has on many neurological diseases, such as Dementia, Epilepsy, Parkinsons, Anxiety, Depression etc, of course there are a whole host of other benefits.

I would strongly advise looking into this lifestyle change and habit of eating. There are many books written on this subject and many instructional pod casts on the internet hosted by well-known and accredited professionals. My personal point of view and experience is that this would be vital for you.

Finally, another point of consideration and perhaps as an adjunct to my information is that one should strongly consider CBD Oil which is derived from the marijuana plant. There are many benefits from taking this oil and can be used as a transitional tool taking you away from medications (which can cause long term harm) and using more natural and organic methods. This can be prescribed by many GP's with most pharmacies now stocking it. Again, there are many pod casts and literature on this compound.

Hope this helps someone.
Hey @Joseph Gallina, thank you so much for sharing all of this with our members. I did just want to make sure that everyone remembers to always research thoroughly before committing to any form of treatment or diet! And to always consult with your doctor before making any significant changes like the ones suggested. Everyone is different, so it's important you speak to a health professional first!

Reactions: Joy Straw and DLHM
A member has asked privately about suggestions for books that can help with OCD and anxiety. OCD and anxiety in general works best with CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) as it’s the unwanted and intrusive thoughts that give rise to anxious behaviours.
The following are some suggested reading but if the issues continue medical intervention may be necessary. It’s important, To take care of the carer as well. “Loving Someone with OCD” Landsman, Parrish and Pedrick
“Self Compassion Workbook” Quinlan
“When a Family Member has OCD” Hershfield & Bell
These are just some currently available and an old one but a good one that has been republished regularly is
Feel the Fear and do it anyway” Susan Jeffers
Thank you @Joy Straw !