Ask Joy: Build a Village: Finding happiness and friendship in later life

Note from the Editor:
This article was kindly written for the SDC by retired psychologist/ member @Joy Straw.

Our lives change over time, and sometimes, we may find ourselves more isolated than at other times; the COVID-19 pandemic was a great example of social isolation.

Downsizing from where we’ve lived for many years to somewhere more comfortable and easier to manage can create a period of fewer friends. This can also be a great opportunity to make new friends and create your own community or ‘village’.

The old saying ‘it takes a village to raise a child’ can be true about us as well, even at our age, ‘it takes a village’.

As our lifestyle changes, we may find ourselves more socially isolated, and with that comes higher rates of depression, anxiety and suicide.

‘Loneliness can also increase the risk of dementia by 50%.’ – Emma Rubin, Elderly Loneliness Statistics.

A ‘village’ is made up of people who help one another out, not how many social engagements we can have. There are many ways to break free of this isolation and bring about a healthier mental way of being.

For example, a group of people in a retirement village were concerned about not being able to visit each other and not having their families visit after the terrible isolation of the first wave of COVID-19. One of them bought a $50 outdoor table and chairs (from Facebook Marketplace), and a group was formed. They met for coffee with 1.8 metres between each person in the open air and broke down the isolation they all felt. That group continues to meet weekly, celebrate life and birthdays and share feelings of sadness.

Why? How? They grew together as a small community to support each other. Each one brings a special trait to the group, which will be discussed a little further on.

shutterstock_2113058915 (1).jpg
Coffee can be a great way to connect. Image Credit: Shutterstock

It can be as simple as an invitation for coffee between two people and building from there or as complex as a formed community group like Lions, Probus or a community reading group.

These new friends can be as far away as the next community or as close as next door. The simplicity of building your village can be to invite someone for coffee, exchanging recipes or a shared love of gardening.

Now we know where to find our new potential friends, how do we go about starting new friendships?

Reach out – An offer of help will start a conversation. Offering help where needed and asking for help when applicable.

Volunteer – By helping others, you can be drawn into an existing community.

Wellness check – A knock on the door to see if someone is okay. A simple text. ‘Can I get you something at the shops?’

Learn to read people – Not just to say hello but observe ‘you look a little sad/upset/tired’ and start a conversation.

Learn to really listen to people – Intimacy comes from respect, trust and hearing what the other person is actually saying.

Join an existing group – U3A (University of the Third Age), Probus, The Men’s Shed, and Connected Women are already existing groups that offer a wealth of like-minded people.

Be aware that none of us are perfect, but we all have something to offer. Bear in mind when inviting people to join your village, what can each person do to enhance and build your village?

shutterstock_550348492 (1).jpg
Who is in your village? Image Credit: Shutterstock

The types of villagers can be as follows or can have a mixture of these traits:

Accepting – Active listener, nonjudgemental and brings balance.

Dependable – Someone you know you can rely on, an emergency contact person, someone you can share your private information with.

Confidence Raiser – ‘You look lovely in that dress,’ curious, ‘How did you do it?’, understands the needs of others. Someone who brings flowers or a casserole when you’re sick or sends a check-up text.

Communicator – Makes clear what’s being said; someone who understands what’s needed and helps others to speak. The peacemaker.

The Healer – Makes you feel better, comforts, is patient, offers compassion when you’re sick or sad and provides laughter.

The Organiser/planner/coordinator – Forms events and timetables, helps the group get things done, helps and nurtures others.

In Summary:

How to find friends

• Established groups
  • Others living around us
  • Volunteering

How to make friends
  • Listen, listen and listen…
  • ‘Would you mind me joining you?’
  • Be compassionate, empathise and try to understand another’s point of view. You don’t have to agree, but try to understand, and if you can’t, try to learn.
  • Give and accept invitations: coffee, book clubs, parties.
  • Ask someone if they need help and accept help if offered.

How to keep friends
  • Know when to step back.
  • Be a good listener.
  • Don’t try to fix (all) things; some things can’t be fixed, and that’s okay.
  • Be kind, and try to understand, even if you’re not sure.
  • Give of yourself, not too much, or that turns into resentment.
  • Don’t always make things about you.
  • Be brave, take a step forward and be more like the type of friends you want.
  • Go gently into a group, observe and listen.
  • Look for what suits you about this group/village and think about what you have to offer. Make sure you have similar values and value what you have to offer.
  • Feel confident in what you have to offer; everyone has value.
  • Remember, one mouth and two ears help for better communication.

Finally, if you don’t fit or you don’t like the fit, keep looking. Your village is out there, and when you find them, you’ll feel the flow of support, shared ideas and values of kindness, caring and empathy. Find those people who help you live your best life as you help them live theirs.

About the author: My name is Joy Straw, and I’ve been a counsellor and (now retired) psychologist working with couples and individuals, as well as children in crisis, for over 30 years. I am a widow with two children and three grandchildren and have recently moved to a retirement village and am loving life again.

Interested in reading more from Joy? You can find all her articles here.

Looking for immediate support? Here is a list of free mental health helplines.

Rewards members, you can ask Joy a question here.

Not a Rewards member yet? You can sign up for SDC Rewards today—it starts at under 14 cents per day.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Amazing advice Joy. My husband and l certainly cherish the connections we have with friends & neighbours especially during this year when Ted lost an eye to an aggressive BCC. Knowing that there was someone next door to lean on was so helpful. During Covid we had chats across the street, each of us with our coffee having a catch up. Even our young neighbour, who has so much energy, joined in. I marvel at the abundance of energy young mums have & wonder if I was the same way back. Happy Christmas Joy.

Such a lovely gesture by the resident of the retirement village who bought the patio setting & started a group.

We belong to a Neighbourhood group who meet once a month at a hotel for lunch & fellowship. Started by a friend of ours, it has been going for over a year now & regularly has new members join us. It isn't always possible to attend every month but it is always great to catch up.

I’m not very good at meeting new people. And I’m not comfortable with large groups of people although I don’t freak out. Never had many friends. Too selective or perhaps distrusting. I always connected with the Simon & Garfunkel song. “I am a Rock”.
Much the same with new people myself. Put this down to the fact l wasn't allowed out after school to mix & always felt withdrawn & shy. Came out a bit in the 1980's [30+ y.o], when l was asked to deliver Sermons l had written at the Church l attended at that time. I still tend to be standoffish until comfortable with people. Courting My Wife we had a preferred Simon & Garfunkel song too. 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'.
Coincidence?

@DLHM I always took you as the outgoing type! How wrong I am. 😖
I’m quite an introvert; generally quiet but observant. Although I will speak my mind if I feel compelled to. The few friends I do have do genuinely like me. I was always the kid that sat at the back of the class that no one knew. I never liked attention.

Much the same with new people myself. Put this down to the fact l wasn't allowed out after school to mix & always felt withdrawn & shy. Came out a bit in the 1980's [30+ y.o], when l was asked to deliver Sermons l had written at the Church l attended at that time. I still tend to be standoffish until comfortable with people. Courting My Wife we had a preferred Simon & Garfunkel song too. 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters'.
Coincidence?
That song brings back some memories. Although I was at a bit of a troubled water at the time.

Shows you cannot judge a book by it's cover or in this case, statements or actions.
When l started courting my future Wife (first & only lady l dated), l told her l was shy. She disagreed. But that was how l saw myself.
I can understand that. I saw someone I liked and it ended in rejection. That made me a jaded individual for a while until the girls approached me! Well that saved me the hard work and heartbreak! I wasn't picky....just relieved that someone found me desirable.

That song brings back some memories. Although I was at a bit of a troubled water at the time.
I know l was. Doing an apprenticeship l had to do because, 'you need to have a trade behind you' (parent's quote), with a bastard of a foreman. Had my first breakdown & hospitalization during that period & came back to work to find the apprentice work mates had taken my work boots from my locker & thrown one up onto a ledge 12 metres off the floor & the other not to be found. The foreman was unsympathetic.

I know l was. Doing an apprenticeship l had to do because, 'you need to have a trade behind you' (parent's quote), with a bastard of a foreman. Had my first breakdown & hospitalization during that period & came back to work to find the apprentice work mates had taken my work boots from my locker & thrown one up onto a ledge 12 metres off the floor & the other not to be found. The foreman was unsympathetic.
I would have made him "formerly-a-man".

I sort of got my own back on the foreman. He had a P.A. system put in & linked to the 3 workshops. Standing on a bench, because his office was 3 metres off the floor, l disconnected the wires from the junction box which was underneath the floor & uncovered. Laughed every time l saw him with the microphone in his hand mouthing the words no-one would hear. The tea man come runner then had go & give a message to the person he was trying to contact. Took him quite a few weeks to call the electrician back who found the fault & placed a cover over the box.
Missed my chance when l left. Apparently l had one more day off on sick leave when l was in hospital than what l was entitled to. I was required to work one day past the day l should have finished my apprenticeship. I was there but every time the foreman & sub foreman came to the job the trades assistant was there but not me. As l picked up my time check disc the foreman gloating said, 'l was the one who reminded them of the extra day'. I didn't know l owed a day. Should have made him aware then it was me who disabled his mic. I know the sub-foreman would see the funny side & let the tradesmen know of this.

@Ezzy that is a classic!

We must have attended the same high school. I love your style!
Thankyou @ Veggiepatch. I try to be nice to people all the time but if I'm rubbed the wrong way........!
Worse thing was l put up with him for 4 years of the apprenticeship & when l was sick my parents went to see him & came back saying, 'Mr T....r really cares about you'. Talk about pulling the wool over their eyes. We weren't a name, it was always laddie (think that is spelt right - sounds o.k. with a Scottish accent).

Funnily enough, I am the extreme opposite. I love being alone with no one to interrupt the peace I like to surround myself with. Maybe it is being an only child or being brought up during a war but at 86 I am so used to it that it (peace) is all I crave. No music, if you can call c-rap music today. But a good book & a cup of TEA! is all I require to keep me happy. Hence when I do speak it comes out crocky. Luckily my carer feels the same way & sleeps or has a man cave to disappear into with the dogs.

Funnily enough, I am the extreme opposite. I love being alone with no one to interrupt the peace I like to surround myself with. Maybe it is being an only child or being brought up during a war but at 86 I am so used to it that it (peace) is all I crave. No music, if you can call c-rap music today. But a good book & a cup of TEA! is all I require to keep me happy. Hence when I do speak it comes out crocky. Luckily my carer feels the same way & sleeps or has a man cave to disappear into with the dogs.
I like your style!

Isn’t it interesting how we’re all different, I love my alone time but I also need the company of other people. My husband & I no longer have a hectic social life as we wouldn’t be able to keep going so we’re quite happy at home as long as we wander out now & then. We have a lovely group of friends but we’ve all slowed down considerably. As long as we keep trying to find our place in an ever changing world & keep an open mind I think we’ll all be fine. A good book, cup of tea and chocolate are essential in my world. For my husband it’s his daily walks. Though I think I lost my “sanity“ years ago, I’ve really lightened up & believe in a good laugh. Besides Nana Zorak you have us to chat to, some of us are sensible. (I think)