Arnold Schwarzenegger reveals the truth about his affair and love child

It's no secret that even the most admirable and accomplished individuals can have their fair share of personal failings and scandals, and Arnold Schwarzenegger is no exception.

The former Mr Universe, Hollywood superstar, and Governor of California has undoubtedly achieved great success in his professional life, but his personal life has certainly had it’s controversies.

Recently, in an upcoming Netflix documentary titled Arnold, the 75-year-old actor got candid about the painful moment when he finally confessed his affair with the family's housekeeper and the existence of their secret love child to his then-wife, Maria Shriver.

1686029914935.png
Arnold Schwarzenegger's affair was a heart-wrenching betrayal that shattered his wife and family. Image from flicker

The Affair​

The affair with the housekeeper, Mildred Baena, took place in 1996, and their son, Joseph Baena, was born in 1997. It wasn't until a marriage counselling session in 2011, however, when Shriver confronted Schwarzenegger with the truth about his parental relationship to Joseph.

When confronted about the affair, the star stated, 'I thought my heart stopped. And then I told the truth. “Yes, Maria. Joseph is my son.” She was obviously crushed by that,’ Schwarzenegger recalled.

At first, both Schwarzenegger and Baena assumed the child was Baena's husband, Rogelio's. But as Joseph grew older, it became increasingly clear that Arnold was his father. The actor then faced a dilemma – how to maintain the secrecy surrounding his extramarital affair and love child?

Arnold and Maria’s Marriage​

1686029915047.png
Maria and Arnold maintain a positive relationship for their children. Source: Katherine Schwarzenegger/Instagram

Arnold Schwarzenegger met Maria Shriver, the niece of the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, at a tennis match in August 1977. They were engaged in Austria in 1985 and married a year later in 1986, during an extravagant ceremony at the Kennedy family home in Massachusetts.

Throughout their 25-year marriage, the couple welcomed daughters Katherine and Christina, and sons Patrick and Christopher, who coincidentally was born just days before Joseph.

The confession about the affair was a staggering blow to their marriage, and Schwarzenegger admits it was his ‘biggest failure’. He stated, 'I have caused enough pain for my family, because of my f***-up. Everyone had to suffer. Maria had to suffer, the kids had to suffer, Joseph, his mother, everyone.'

Despite his personal failings, Arnold Schwarzenegger shared some positive words for his now ex-wife, Maria Shriver, saying there's ‘nothing more important than to have a good partner by your side’, and commending their efforts in raising their four children together.

Maria sought solace and guidance after their divorce by attending a convent, an experience she shared on the Making Space With Hoda Kotb podcast earlier this year. Maria and Arnold have since maintained a positive relationship, attending their children's graduations and celebrating birthdays together.

Arnold’s Relationship With His Son Joseph​

1686029915135.png
Joseph, like his father, has embraced a career in both acting and bodybuilding, continuing the family legacy. Source: Eric Ray Davidson for Men’s Health

Arnold also expressed his pride for Joseph, who has followed in his father's footsteps as an actor and bodybuilder. 'I saw Joseph developing into a fantastic human being...He has turned out to be an extraordinary young man,' he said.

Though the actor has a close relationship with his love child, reports suggest that his other four children from his marriage to Maria 'don't love' Joseph. However, Joseph appeared unfazed at the recent LA premiere of Arnold's latest Netflix film 'FUBAR,' where he walked the red carpet solo.

The three-part Netflix documentary Arnold is set to air on June 7th, and will showcase not only the intimate details of his affair and failed marriage to Shriver but also the highs and lows of his storied career, from his rise to fame as a bodybuilder and Hollywood action hero to his tenure as Governor of California from 2003 to 2011.

Key Takeaways
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger opens up in an upcoming Netflix documentary, Arnold, about his affair and fathering a love child with housekeeper Mildred Baena.
  • Schwarzenegger recalls his ex-wife Maria Shriver's reaction and the impact of the affair on their family, admitting it was his 'biggest failure.'
  • Schwarzenegger and Shriver have maintained a positive relationship since their divorce, attending family events and special occasions together.
  • The Netflix documentary, which will also cover Schwarzenegger's career and time as Governor of California, is set to air on June 7th.
Members, we're excited to hear your perspective on Arnold's affair and the remarkable twists that have shaped his life. Please share your thoughts with us; we value your opinions and are eager to read!

Sponsored
He should have kept it in his pants and not slept with the housekeeper.
I remember when this first came out I remember him denying it so I'm glad after 14 years he admitted to his wife during a counselling session .

My husband was a big fan of his which I don't understand as he was a terrible actor. I definitely wouldn't watch his movies now

It's no secret that even the most admirable and accomplished individuals can have their fair share of personal failings and scandals, and Arnold Schwarzenegger is no exception.

The former Mr Universe, Hollywood superstar, and Governor of California has undoubtedly achieved great success in his professional life, but his personal life has certainly had it’s controversies.

Recently, in an upcoming Netflix documentary titled Arnold, the 75-year-old actor got candid about the painful moment when he finally confessed his affair with the family's housekeeper and the existence of their secret love child to his then-wife, Maria Shriver.

View attachment 21628
Arnold Schwarzenegger's affair was a heart-wrenching betrayal that shattered his wife and family. Image from flicker

The Affair​

The affair with the housekeeper, Mildred Baena, took place in 1996, and their son, Joseph Baena, was born in 1997. It wasn't until a marriage counselling session in 2011, however, when Shriver confronted Schwarzenegger with the truth about his parental relationship to Joseph.

When confronted about the affair, the star stated, 'I thought my heart stopped. And then I told the truth. “Yes, Maria. Joseph is my son.” She was obviously crushed by that,’ Schwarzenegger recalled.

At first, both Schwarzenegger and Baena assumed the child was Baena's husband, Rogelio's. But as Joseph grew older, it became increasingly clear that Arnold was his father. The actor then faced a dilemma – how to maintain the secrecy surrounding his extramarital affair and love child?

View attachment 21627
Maria and Arnold maintain a positive relationship for their children. Source: Katherine Schwarzenegger/Instagram

Arnold Schwarzenegger met Maria Shriver, the niece of the 35th President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, at a tennis match in August 1977. They were engaged in Austria in 1985 and married a year later in 1986, during an extravagant ceremony at the Kennedy family home in Massachusetts.

Throughout their 25-year marriage, the couple welcomed daughters Katherine and Christina, and sons Patrick and Christopher, who coincidentally was born just days before Joseph.

The confession about the affair was a staggering blow to their marriage, and Schwarzenegger admits it was his ‘biggest failure’. He stated, 'I have caused enough pain for my family, because of my f***-up. Everyone had to suffer. Maria had to suffer, the kids had to suffer, Joseph, his mother, everyone.'

Despite his personal failings, Arnold Schwarzenegger shared some positive words for his now ex-wife, Maria Shriver, saying there's ‘nothing more important than to have a good partner by your side’, and commending their efforts in raising their four children together.

Maria sought solace and guidance after their divorce by attending a convent, an experience she shared on the Making Space With Hoda Kotb podcast earlier this year. Maria and Arnold have since maintained a positive relationship, attending their children's graduations and celebrating birthdays together.

View attachment 21626
Joseph, like his father, has embraced a career in both acting and bodybuilding, continuing the family legacy. Source: Eric Ray Davidson for Men’s Health

Arnold also expressed his pride for Joseph, who has followed in his father's footsteps as an actor and bodybuilder. 'I saw Joseph developing into a fantastic human being...He has turned out to be an extraordinary young man,' he said.

Though the actor has a close relationship with his love child, reports suggest that his other four children from his marriage to Maria 'don't love' Joseph. However, Joseph appeared unfazed at the recent LA premiere of Arnold's latest Netflix film 'FUBAR,' where he walked the red carpet solo.

The three-part Netflix documentary Arnold is set to air on June 7th, and will showcase not only the intimate details of his affair and failed marriage to Shriver but also the highs and lows of his storied career, from his rise to fame as a bodybuilder and Hollywood action hero to his tenure as Governor of California from 2003 to 2011.

Key Takeaways

• Arnold Schwarzenegger opens up in an upcoming Netflix documentary, Arnold, about his affair and fathering a love child with housekeeper Mildred Baena.
  • Schwarzenegger recalls his ex-wife Maria Shriver's reaction and the impact of the affair on their family, admitting it was his 'biggest failure.'
  • Schwarzenegger and Shriver have maintained a positive relationship since their divorce, attending family events and special occasions together.
  • The Netflix documentary, which will also cover Schwarzenegger's career and time as Governor of California, is set to air on June 7th.
Members, we're excited to hear your perspective on Arnold's affair and the remarkable twists that have shaped his life. Please share your thoughts with us; we value your opinions and are eager to read!
It is Arnold Schwarzenegger's personal life and I still think he is a fantastic person an animal lover and great actor.

He has done the wrong thing by his family, and there is no excuse for that. However he has acknowledged his illegitimate son and although it took a while, told his family about him. There are a lot of famous people who need to find something from outside their marriages, and dont feel the need to be honest about it. We are all human and that means making mistakes, but also taking whatever consequences that may bring.

View attachment 21628

The Affair​

View attachment 21627

View attachment 21626

Key Takeaways

He owned up at the session to his wife, it doesn't mean he didn't do the wrong thing then. His wife divorced him (understandably), and he has supported Joseph and his and Maria's children all along it seems. Maria (good woman) has forgiven him to a point and they have an amicable relationship. I would think seeing their Mother this way they would also accept Joseph kindly.

Reactions: Jersey Girl